• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
HT_OBAMA_CHEWING_ll_141111.gif

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would trust BP because they have a vested interest in understanding the energy layout of the future for the sake of their company.

Many energy companies do projections and studies, because it's kinda their job.

hapankorppu

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
this does not measure all emissions

edit. did not see good overview from the site.
does this take mitigation onto account atall?

Last edited:

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not during this admin

I would think the EPA would be more biased towards America lol especially nowadays.

BP on the other hand is a global company. It has interests everywhere.

Okay so my next question, knowing the alignment of BP oil and given the propensity for false info spewed by this administration, could this info be false to mask the true narrative given what the EPA is today? What if its the complete opposite and this report is only to appease?

Last edited:

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
sure, let's just take what BP Oil is telling us at face value *rolls eyes*

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
First of all: BP is not a good Source about this topic.

Second of all: BP is Not a good Source about anything.

Germany is here not the Problem: Even while ditching nuclear. It's not like that there magically appeared new coal plants. Renewables are still growing massive.

The picture in the first post is misleading.

Did I mention that BP is not a good source for this?

Last edited:

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
First of all: BP is not a good Source about this topic.

Second of all: BP is Not a good Source about anything.

Germany is here not the Problem: Even while ditching nuclear. It's not like that there magically appeared new coal plants. Renewables are still growing massive.

The picture in the first post is misleading

Did I mention that BP is not a good source for this?
Maybe you can start by reading the chart correctly. It's not saying a 40% reduction.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Maybe you can start by reading the chart correctly. It's not saying a 40% reduction.
Yep. My bad. Still, without a development over time or any connection to the size of the economy this graph only tells a incomplete story and is just a snapshot of one year.
But it's good that the USA is going down in emissions. If those number are correct. I want to see the primary source.

hapankorppu

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
us china and india are biggest evils. especially us with per capita emissions. clearly not something this thread intended to focus on.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
The countries listed just seem kinda suspect... . Most pro Trump countries have reductions while the anti Trump ones have increases... . It being named BP Oil doesn't help either as anything from Oil companies should be taken with a giant mountain of salt. Sorry if people don't take Oil companies by their word. =x

To be honest, I'd expect oil companies to have the most expertise when it concerns their products. They know how much oil and gas they sell anyway, and monitor the market of their competitors too. BP has no endgoal to only discredit 'anti Trump ones', they want to sell their stuff and that includes gauging how their stuff is used. Venezuala isn't exactly the best US ally. I'm not really defending all the actions big oil companies take, but they have many international divisions where they pay skilled people easily over $10K/month to do this stuff, so I doubt the margin of error is really that big.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
It doesn't surprise me, despite Trump and his admins fuckery, most individual states and businesses continue to focus on increasing green solutions.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Percentages based on each nations output seems like it would give a much better idea of who's doing welll and who's doing poorly.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
The US decreasing its emissions has long been predicted despute the Trump rollbacks. Market forces are the number one factor as most of Obama's climate efforts were never implemented or held up by courts.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't surprise me, despite Trump and his admins fuckery, most individual states and businesses continue to focus on increasing green solutions.
It's partly that and partly that the fracking boom has made coal not worth it over natural gas (which just happens to have less emissions).

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, I'd expect oil companies to have the most expertise when it concerns their products. They know how much oil and gas they sell anyway, and monitor the market of their competitors too. BP has no endgoal to only discredit 'anti Trump ones', they want to sell their stuff and that includes gauging how their stuff is used. Venezuala isn't exactly the best US ally. I'm not really defending all the actions big oil companies take, but they have many international divisions where they pay skilled people easily over $10K/month to do this stuff, so I doubt the margin of error is really that big.
I didn't mean it in an "error" kind of way but rather intentionally. It makes for good PR for Trump, if he sees it he will scream about it.
Just seems all pretty suspect from viewing the OP, the name, the countries, etc. . I wouldn't really trust most US companies on this anyway as they are highly interested in oil.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
You people side eyeing BP as the authors are missing the point. The graph is showing tonnage, not rates. Yes this is a good thing, but it's easy to be the number one reducer when you're one of the biggest producers. Think of it like this:

I usually produce 100 bags of garbage and my neighbor usually produces 10 bags

Last year, I produced 98 bags of garbage instead of 100 and my neighbor produced 9 bags instead of 10.

With that data I can make a graph that says that I reduced my garbage production by double what my neighbor did if you go by number of bags.

We should be happy when we reduce our pollution but graphs like the one in the OP mislead us into thinking that the US is leading in the reduction of pollution when, if you go by rates instead of tonnage, we're still one of the biggest polluters.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You people side eyeing BP as the authors are missing the point. The graph is showing tonnage, not rates. Yes this is a good thing, but it's easy to be the number one reducer when you're one of the biggest producers. Think of it like this:

I usually produce 100 bags of garbage and my neighbor usually produces 10 bags

Last year, I produced 98 bags of garbage instead of 100 and my neighbor produced 9 bags instead of 10.

With that data I can make a graph that says that I reduced my garbage production by double what my neighbor did if you go by number of bags.

We should be happy when we reduce our pollution but graphs like the one in the OP mislead us into thinking that the US is leading in the reduction of pollution when, if you go by rates instead of tonnage, we're still one of the biggest polluters.
As others have said, at the end of the day tonnage is the only thing that matters. Nature don't give a fuck about percentage per capita.

OP
OP
thediamondage

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
they should have per capita or absolute emissions there for context but that would not fit the agenda.

As I said in the OP per capita and percentage reports do make sense but on the other hand global temperatures only care about total numbers, it doesn't really matter if China is doing awesome on a per capita basis if they are emitting more CO2 than USA and Europe combined (that is a true statement by the way), any major global impact would have to mostly involve China, USA and India changing at this point.

I do find it a bit fascinating how quick people nowadays jump to "fake news!" or "can't trust the source" if information comes out that goes against their view of the world. Right wingers see anything governments and non profits put out as propaganda, progressives see any data from corporations as potentially falsified data. I wonder how we go from here to data everyone agrees is true and useful. It will be nearly impossible to actually fix anything if we can't even all agree what the problem is.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
As others have said, at the end of the day tonnage is the only thing that matters. Nature don't give a fuck about percentage per capita.

I'm not talking about nature, I'm talking about perception and how misleading it can be to look at graphs like that without taking into account what's being measured. At the end of the day, nature doesn't care about graphs either. But the people who you are trying to reach with regards to reducing pollution do.

hapankorppu

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
As I said in the OP per capita and percentage reports do make sense but on the other hand global temperatures only care about total numbers, it doesn't really matter if China is doing awesome on a per capita basis if they are emitting more CO2 than USA and Europe combined (that is a true statement by the way), any major global impact would have to mostly involve China, USA and India changing at this point.

I do find it a bit fascinating how quick people nowadays jump to "fake news!" or "can't trust the source" if information comes out that goes against their view of the world. Right wingers see anything governments and non profits put out as propaganda, progressives see any data from corporations as potentially falsified data. I wonder how we go from here to data everyone agrees is true and useful. It will be nearly impossible to actually fix anything if we can't even all agree what the problem is.
it matters alot. you dont want china or india having similar per capita emissions than west/us.
we need good goals for developing nations to develop to. west not following same goals would be really hypocritical.
we can also make dick measuring contest about how much more you cause emissions compared to me cause that how you are going about it.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mean it in an "error" kind of way but rather intentionally. It makes for good PR for Trump, if he sees it he will scream about it.
Just seems all pretty suspect from viewing the OP, the name, the countries, etc. . I wouldn't really trust most US companies on this anyway as they are highly interested in oil.

I feel that's kind of a conspiracy level theory that serves no actual purpose. Yes, Trump will probably try to spin everything in a positive way for him, although he doubt he'll do that now since that'd acknowledge that carbon emissions do impact the environment. But in this case? Oil/energy companies also sell analysis to third parties, and those are different divisions from their drilling/supply operations. All big oil companies also acknowledge global warming and the energy crisis, the problem is that they still have a major interest in providing the energy demands of the global world. After all, people still buy and use oil products, otherwise they wouldn't be so big as they are know. Also you know BP is British, right? It was called British Petroleum for a reason.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
What are you doing US?! There's now a deficit of a staggering 4.145 million tonnes of carbon dioxide towards China! Unfair! Trump should impose sanctions on CO2 trade emissions right away. America first!

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
Salty Europeans trying to discredit the study lmao

Look at their methodology at least before claiming lies.

Ogre

Mar 26, 2018
Just because you don't like a source doesn't mean the data provided is false. When it comes to any study, we should be skeptical of questionable sources, but we don't get to necessarily discount the information they provide without adequate reason.

For that matter, good sources can publish shit. See: the Lancet and Wakefield.

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't forced by the heavy hand of government, but incentives put in place during the Obama administration absolutely contributed to this.

Oct 27, 2017
Extraodinary that even with all the rapid developments in green technology, CO2 emission continue to rise. Since it appears that the rise is being driven by the huge increase in cars in the likes of China and India, it will only be when electric cars are mainstream that these increases will stop.

Deleted member 26837

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The PDF shows some better data for that chart. I think what they are trying to is to compare about the same amount of emissions from a single country's, US (5087) to continental EU's (4152). Finland is down by 3.8% for example, so better than the US by a long shot even though contributing very little overall.

https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/e...review/bp-stats-review-2018-co2-emissions.pdf

China's output is fucking massive. It's over 9000!

Edit: and why does it say "ten countries" when EU is not a country?

This title on the website is also pretty eerily happy sounding that in general the emissions in the world were up. Rebounding from stagnant....

"Global CO2 emissions from energy in 2017 grew by 1.6%, rebounding from the stagnant volumes during 2014-2016, and faster than the 10-year average of 1.3%"

Last edited:

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
for a site that is so pro-science it is surprising that people rely on BPs 'translations' of the datasets...

one year reductions are fairly meaningless without following historical trends as winter temperatures/heating can have massive effects if you only look at one year - eg someone mentioned Finland's emission cut of 3.8% which is almost all due to warmer winter temps in 2017.

and the datasets are not BPs, you can find more rich data here: http://edgar.jrc.ec.europa.eu/overview.php?v=CO2andGHG1970-2016&sort=des8

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not really. 72% of the electricity generated in China is by coal power plants. They are turning those plants into more efficient plants, and have shut down plans for building a ton more -- at one point there were projections they were going to be building like 3 new plants EVERY DAY for years -- but while there are "plans" to bring up solar and wind plants online sometime in the future, its just not realistic with current tech. Coal and natural gas plants are around 45-55% efficient, based on asset capacity. Wind and solar is closer to 10-15%, so the gap is immense still. What China is doing is also converting more stuff to natural gas which has far less CO2 emissions than coal. They are very much driven by self interest as well, as the coal plants are absolutely destroying their environment.

The three biggest sources of natural gas on the planet are Russia, Iran, and the USA. Makes the recent geopolitical turmoil interesting as well when you think about those 3 countries.
Huh. I did some research on this topic a year ago and remember reading how China was planning on switching over to clean energy by year whatever. So they never actually bothered to go through with these plans? I guess I was expecting too much from a country that places its country's interest over the interest of anything else in existence.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Katharine Hayhoe, a climate researcher focusing on science communication had a pretty good thread about this. Essentially, we decreased the most by gross ammount, but not percentage wise. When you're the second largest polluter, it's not hard to make large decreases:

More in the thread.