Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Little known fact: Doctor Claw was actually a black woman. The Inspector Gadget writers thought it was funnier that way.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Nobody is really complaining. It more just "hey this is symptomatic of an issue that kind of exists".
From the first page:
6yxslws.gif

What a shitty response from dude. Give her as much screentime as Frozone.

We getting a sequel, right? Right??

Fix this bullshit in sequel, right????!

So they're going to continue that loudmouth, abrasive black woman gag from the 1st movie? I mean...I guess it was okay the first time but doing it again and saying she's better as JUST a voice? When Pixar easily has the talent to make her a funny visible side character?

I'm not supporting this with my black dollars.

The problem is they can design a million background pedestrians in the movie, but can't design the wife of one of the main heroes? It's bullshit.

I'm guessing he is going for a homage to the shitty Tom and Jerry method of turning a black woman into a sassy punchline. Heard. Not seen.

So basically: "Black people talk funny LOL"

Nobody is really complaining?

Scoo

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Surely it's just as racist to presume she's black, just because frozone is. She's never even been shown!

If you ask me this is taking the "I'm offended" olympics and turning it into an extreme sport.

Brad should just retcon her into being Asian, heck, it wouldn't even be a retcon as she's never been shown. The guy is a great writer and director, he shouldn't be getting shade thrown on him for something this silly.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
might as well just lock the thread as its not gonna evolve past its circle jerk of racist microaggressions and muh outrage culture knee jerks

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You know what the result of this will be... she'll finally be revealed visually in Incredibles 3 and have some crazy disproportionately prominent role in a crucial moment. Like, she'll show up looking for Lucius and casually dispatch the final boss or something.

Goliath

Oct 28, 2017
I am fine with this response and just reminds me of other running gags like the neighbor in home improvement whose face is always obscured or the mother in Big Bang Theory who is also a voice.

Oct 27, 2017
Is it such a big difference to on-screen black woman yelling?

I'm a little confused about how this character would suddenly not become problematic if she was on screen.
It's priblematic both ways. The same way ready player one has the Asian guy that knows karate and has few lines of dialogue. Sure it looks cool or in the incredibles case, it's a comedic device but that doesn't mean people can't complain

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know where this is from but it looks legit. I wonder if this is Frozone's wife? It probably is and would you look at that she is black.
tumblr_inline_p8bj82cfXK1t4ze75_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_p8bj815ifU1t4ze75_1280.jpg

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When something unfair happens Im there fighting with you, Era. But this? This shit right here is Overreacting The Thread.

Also as others here have said no one said that his wife was even black. You all just assumed that because he is black.

You're reaching.

...shit. Thatd be great if they show her and she isn't black.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
People loved her in the trailers that showed before IW. She is hilarious.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I am fine with this response and just reminds me of other running gags like the neighbor in home improvement whose face is always obscured or the mother in Big Bang Theory who is also a voice.

Same, I don't understand the outrage. (I am a minority and deal with unfair representation too and I don't see the big deal here).

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's a pretty weak gag and they have nowhere to take it. I don't really find that offensive. She's not even a real character just a quick gag.

Mr.Adele

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
I dont see that as deaf toned or backlash worthy at all, some characters are just funnier as voices and adding a face just ruins it, regardless of the race of the voice

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
If what proves true? That she's just a voice again and they used her design for someone else? 1) The gag is already in the trailer and 2) why... would they lie about repurposing a design?

That the wife of Frozone is actually black. This should probably be a new thread instead of a basic update.

Last edited:

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
Nop, sorry not seeing anything to pick apart here. It's a gag, nothing more. The whole "where is my super suit" scene from the original works partly because of her being off screen, as if removing herself from the annoying endeavors of her husband. He's rushing and freaking out while her voice stays steady.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Wait are you saying that despite seeing concept art of her, she might still actually not be black just because they decided not to use the design and recycled it elsewhere in the movie?
You do understand she is not a real person, right? Yes, if a character is not shown and it is not expressly stated otherwise in official material such as director/writer interviews then we cannot take it as canon. The design implies that she was imagined as being a black woman at some stage of production but scrapped that design along with the associated confirmation of her race.

Deleted member 29806

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
People would rather hear a lie than someone just telling what happened. What happened may be racist or not (sure NOT in my humble opinion), but saying someone telling the truth is tone deaf is just stupid.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
You do understand she is not a real person, right? Yes, if a character is not shown and it is not expressly stated otherwise in official material such as director/writer interviews then we cannot take it as canon. The design implies that she was imagined as being a black woman at some stage of production but scrapped that design along with the associated confirmation of her race.
You're being willfully ignorant. There's not a single person on this planet that saw the English dub of The Incredibles and assumed Frozone's wife was anything other than black based on that voice. The fact that she was imagined as a black woman, whether her design made it into the movie or not, IS even more confirmation.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018
I don't really think that the fact she was originally drawn as a black woman is that relevant to the discussion at hand.

Sure, some posters may have raised the question but the fact that Bird responded the way he did when asked about representation of POC pretty much puts it to bed.

Given that, you either find this to be an issue or you don't. If she's white, it can still be seen as representative of the nagging wife trope so I don't understand why someone's level of offence would be tied directly to the character's skin colour.

Alx

Oct 27, 2017
Nop, sorry not seeing anything to pick apart here. It's a gag, nothing more. The whole "where is my super suit" scene from the original works partly because of her being off screen, as if removing herself from the annoying endeavors of her husband. He's rushing and freaking out while her voice stays steady.

Also it has that "slice of life" aspect that is the whole concept of the movie. A couple communicating by shouting at each other across the house happens all the time, and having one of them never appear makes it more effective.

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Fact: Frozone's wife is black. This is as istablished like the orbit of the moon and sun.