• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
The last two years has felt like a continuing messaging towards next gen. I think MS did such a poor job (under previous management) with the XBO messaging, I think they NEED this extra time / extra messaging. Last E3 they brought up Scarlet to let everybody know they were not leaving the hardware business. I really half expect this E3 to see (I hope) a lot of niche, Japanese development to let potential PS only users that those games they love on PS/Switch is also coming to Xbox brand. That will be about 17 months till their usual November launch. That's quite a few months for fans to talk about it and see the two different boxes, and the streaming box.

I think they need that extra time to bake up excitement. I have no doubts they'll have a machine that will be equal powerwise to the PS5 (unlike early in the ps4/xbo days).

I just really think this is good for all gamers despite your loyalties. I have no as I own everything, so I'm excited to see what extra stuff PS will have to offer because competition is good for consumers.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Why announce a new, more powerful console when you already have the most powerful console on the market? Microsoft's obsession with hardware continues.

To get ahead of Sony's announcement. The assumption is that Sony will announce the PS5 around the same time as E3, or early next year.

I don't think Microsoft wants to lose the performance title again.

Mezati99

Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Planet Earth
man, with all the Nintendo/MS foreplay going on right now, you just gotta wonder what the fuck is sony cooking?

aren't they being unusually quiet?

YOUarcade

Oct 27, 2017
California
Just bought an Xbox One X with that $399 deal. Hopefully Halo: Infinite is cross-gen.

Also, theory... next gen Xbox name: "Xbox Infinite" or "Xbox Infinity"?
Halo: Infinite and Forza 8 (turn the "8" 90 degrees and you have the infinity symbol). But since Forza is coming out this year (most likely) and the next consoles are next year, the name wouldn't work.

ok I'm done. thanks.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
i think announcing first was a priority for them, Sony completely controlled and dominated messaging in the 2013 reveals

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Just bought an Xbox One X with that $399 deal. Hopefully Halo: Infinite is cross-gen.

Halo: Infinite and Forza 8 (turn the "8" 90 degrees and you have the infinity symbol). But since Forza is coming out this year (most likely) and the next consoles are next year, the name wouldn't work.

ok I'm done. thanks.
Halo infinite has been confirmed to be coming to xboxone

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
man, with all the Nintendo/MS foreplay going on right now, you just gotta wonder what the fuck is sony cooking?

aren't they being unusually quiet?

Is this unusually quiet? I thought Sony is usually pretty quiet about things until they announce it. They've never struck me as a very transparent company, and even Microsoft being this transparent is a pretty recent thing.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Microsoft out for blood this year, huh?

They are preparing for the future where they can exist healthily in. Xbox hardware sales are going down fast this year, so much that I believe the cheap Scarlet SKU is due to the fact that they dont see the Xbox One lasting to sell as a cheap entry point Xbox in the next couple of years.

Microsoft is trying to finally move past the Xbox hardware's lack of appeal by getting their services on multiple devices and platforms. They know that certain territories will never embrace their consoles and that the Xbox Scarlet just wont sell as much as the Xbox 360 did (85 million+). Especially not with having their games on many devices, they are done trying to exist in the gaming market with Xbox consoles being the main driver.

So I dont see them as being out for blood, they are just adapting in the best way they can. Sony and Nintendo probably want to sell 100 million each of their next platforms, Microsoft doesn't care now as they know a number like that is impossible for Xbox so they are spreading their games and services. Its a great move.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
That's a big gap between announcement and release. Wonder why they're eager to announce it so early.
They got caught out by Sony on their reveal last time. One word, Revenge.

Sony will be looking to pull it off again but they don't know that MS is planning to counter the counter attack.

*Tin foil hat on*

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Brad Sams: Microsoft to Talk Next Gen Consoles at E3 2019, Halo Infinitity for launch
Halo Infinitity for launch
Halo Infinitity
Infinitity

oh...well...

Mezati99

Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Planet Earth
Is this unusually quiet? I thought Sony is usually pretty quiet about things until they announce it. They've never struck me as a very transparent company, and even Microsoft being this transparent is a pretty recent thing.
yeah but this is still pretty weird tho right? no rumors, no announcements, and they cancelled their E3 showing

i remember the months prior to PS4 reveal were packed with speculations and rumors

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ok I'm done. thanks.

Forza isn't coming out this year I think.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah but this is still pretty weird tho right? no rumors, no announcements, and they cancelled their E3 showing

i remember the months prior to PS4 reveal were packed with speculations and rumors

I think it's just a matter of timing. If Sony is going to announce the PS5 this year, it's probably after E3 and towards the end of the year, if not announce and release next year. There might just not be much to leak so far, where Microsoft is seemingly pretty close to announcing a bunch of stuff. I assume as we move closer to PS5's announcement we'll start to hear more and more rumblings. Just a matter of timing imo.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If its due Fall 2020 that sounds really early to start talking but what do I know...

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't a bit too early for that? Unless Google's streaming box has them a bit worried since they will be directly competing.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Cool. Looks like that time of the gen is starting up again, hope to hear what Nintendo and Sony got planned too at some point this year.

Nintendo: Switch Mini Launch - Fall 2019, Gamepass and Xbox Live confirmed for Switch, a more powerful Switch, Switch Pro announced in 2020.

Sony: PS5 announcement in 2020, launch fall 2020.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I just really think this is good for all gamers despite your loyalties. I have no as I own everything, so I'm excited to see what extra stuff PS will have to offer because competition is good for consumers.

Fanboys never understand that. I have all three consoles and usually do each gen , so find the fanboying tedious.

Can't believe thee were some who wanted to see MS out of the gaming business for their own warped reasons.

MS has been bested this gen by Sony, partly through their own hubris, but it looks like they've learnt.

Now we have ourselves a potentiality amazing next gen.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
so they have nothing to show for the next 9 months?

i can't imagine a scenario where the PS5 isn't revealed or teased this year

I can. Early 2020 reveal and holiday release. Just like with PS4 in 2013. PS4 sill moves a lot of units and they even have a lot of room in terms of price cuts for 2019 (I mean base PS4 is still $299). Not to mention big exclusive games still coming to PS4 (Death Stranding, Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams etc).

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft saw what Zelda did for the Switch. Having Halo at launch would be very smart.