• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017

Does this mean it's related to other Halo media like the TV show? People have been calling for a shakeup at 343 for a while now.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Are there still people who believe the show is actually happening?
They started filming, so it's at least passed that stage.

Now, will COVID convince Showtime to suffocate it in the crib? Entirely possible. This is a massive gamble, COVID will inevitably make it more expensive to produce, and Showtime isn't exactly killing it as a network at the moment.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I wonder if it also involves Bungie in some way, the guy (name escapes me atm) who left and started the company that made Disintegration tweeted recently that's it's an end of an Era but said it wasn't related to his current new studio. People were wondering what it was about.

Edit:

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it also involves Bungie in some way, the guy (name escapes me atm) who left and started the company that made Disintegration tweeted recently that's it's an end of an Era but said it wasn't related to his current new studio. People were wondering what it was about.
Marcus Lehto? I'm not sure it's related. He also mentioned that V1 is doing new things now.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'm not sure what specifically "not game related" would mean, but the minute Infinite got delayed I expected some people might quietly either resign or be shuffled out of 343 around the time it finally shipped - up to and including potentially Bonnie Ross herself being shuffled elsewhere.

Microsoft had a lot riding on that game being ready for holiday 2020 and living up to what people expect of a major game like that. They also gave the studio FIVE YEARS to make it. Not only was it not ready, leading to a situation where they've got all of this pre-arranged tie-in -marketing going on right now for a game no one can play for months (much like Cyperpunk did), but it LOOKED extremely unfinished in their public-facing demonstration.

It's an expensive failure to deliver, and I could easily see a few people quietly expected to "take responsibility" for that.

Are there still people who believe the show is actually happening?

They were literally filming the episodes when COVID hit. It's happening, unless Showtime decide to kill it for some reason, which is unlikely if you believe the talk about them wanting it to be "their Game of Thrones", in terms of prestige and budget.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Marcus Lehto? I'm not sure it's related. He also mentioned that V1 is doing new things now.
Yup, added the tweet, they could be totally unrelated, I'm just throwing it in for the speculation aspect. Plus there's Deej recently announcing his departure at Bungie. Has he said where he's going? Maybe it has something to do with this.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Maybe Joseph Staten shaking things up too much for 343 to handle?

Staten was just a ringer brought in until Infinite ships, I doubt he'd be making major changes to the studio when he's not staying there long term (unless that has changed). I'd be all for Staten taking a senior production role at 343 though.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States

Edit:

If they got Marcus Lehto that's big. With Joe Staten at 343i all they need now is Marty and some other old Bungie guys like Paul Russel .

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
When he says 'not game related' he meant it's not to do with Infinite directly, shake up would suggest some management/leads getting fired or 'transferred' to new departments. Not surprising given the mess Infinite ended up in, you don't end up delaying such a huge launch title at the last minute like that without some consequences to management.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Curious to what it is, guys at will find out soon though, seems to be the case when we hear about 343

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
The entire organization has been a convoluted mess of mismanagement for a whole console generation. At this point, any changes would be as expected as oxygen in the air.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean halo infinite is an embarrassment. A gigantic downgrade from whats been
Shown at e3 2018 and 19, a clear lack of communication, a giant delay, no estimation as to when the game is actually coming out now. Yet they STILL have marketing shit everywhere as if its still coming this year, so yeah. Things have to change. As another user said, you dont delay THE launch game without someone getting in trouble.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
no estimation as to when the game is actually coming out now.
This is so baffling.

I'm sure they don't have a specific date right now but they must know the ballpark, so why not tell people? Are we looking at Summer? Spring? Fall?

They also said they weren't gonna turtle and we're now about 2 weeks away from the original release date but they've not shown anything new.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
This is so baffling.

I'm sure they don't have a specific date right now but they must know the ballpark, so why not tell people? Are we looking at Summer? Spring? Fall?

They also said they weren't gonna turtle and we're now about 2 weeks away from the original release date but they've not shown anything new.
Spring/Summer is my guess, but if we don't get anything by/on TGAs, that shit is a Fall title

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is so baffling.

they are letting everyone write the narrative of this games development and the sad state of there studio for them by not saying or showing anything.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Would be cool if Deej joined the Community team. Unlikely, but still cool. Then again, 343's issue has never been the community team. From Bravo to Unyshek they've had some great people at the helm on the Community side.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
You don't give a release date yet because you want to avoid a Cyberpunk situation and have to constantly change the release date/window if any problems arise.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe a restructuring to spilt game development and other Halo things? I always thought it was kinda weird how 343 does all things Halo including books, movies, TV, etc.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Would be cool if Deej joined the Community team. Unlikely, but still cool. Then again, 343's issue has never been the community team. From Bravo to Unyshek they've had some great people at the helm on the Community side.
343i's community team is great, I don't think 343i's issues are community team or developer related

Inti

Nov 20, 2017
I honestly hope this means a management shakeup. I am not promoting someone gets fired or is affected by this, but unfortunately management has been unable to deliver. The state of Halo in my honest opinion is only 343's managements fault. I feel that someone needs to take responsibility for everything that's happened, and if that's Bonnie or someone else, then unfortunately, so be it. 343 needs fresh blood taking the reigns, and they need to let us know that whatever has been making them struggle is gone. I hope they find what they need and what has been making them hurt, and more importantly, let us know what they did to fix it, so that we can begin recovering and restoring the lost trust in their product/output. I really hope Infinite is awesome.

This is coming from someone that considers Halo 5 multiplayer the best one from this gen but definitely sees how poor the campaign was (when taking expectation into account).

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Wonder if it's related to Bonnie or Frankie?

I don't like suggesting that anyone should lose their position (pitch-forking is god awful), especially someone so competent and one of the few female figures in an authoritative position in gaming, but I do question whether Bonnie Ross is cut-out to continue as 343i's head. She's clearly a remarkable person, and an amazing orator and industry role model with a passion for Halo, but I'm unconvinced she knows how to drive the franchise and team properly.

Definitely unfair to lay the blame solely on her without further information, but 343i has reeked of management issues for so long now: from Halo 4's weird tonal/gameplay shift, the MCC shit-show, Halo 5 launching half-baked with a dismal Campaign, Infinite's rocky development, and then a past history of significant crunch, challenging engines and tools, and reports of messy 'headless vision-less' leadership. There's something fundamentally not right in the water at 343i.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
and they need to let us know that whatever has been making them struggle is gone. I hope they find what they need and what has been making them hurt, and more importantly, let us know what they did to fix it, so that we can begin recovering and restoring the lost trust in their product/output.
What? Talk about entitled and out of touch.

Under no circumstances do I feel the need for a company to explain to me/us why they made any internal restructuring decisions. It is not our place to "approve" of any management changes they may or may not make. They will release Infinite, and hopefully it is good, but the thought that they need to allow us to "recover and restore trust" is ridiculous. They have released two good games in a market now flooded with options in the same genre that was almost exclusive to Halo when it launched, and I'm sure they will release a third.

Inti

Nov 20, 2017
What? Talk about entitled and out of touch.

Under no circumstances do I feel the need for a company to explain to me/us why they made any internal restructuring decisions. It is not our place to "approve" of any management changes they may or may not make. They will release Infinite, and hopefully it is good, but the thought that they need to allow us to "recover and restore trust" is ridiculous. They have released two good games in a market now flooded with options in the same genre that was almost exclusive to Halo when it launched, and I'm sure they will release a third.

Well. Like I said, I enjoyed a lot Halo 5, a lot, I love that multiplayer. But calling me out of touch for seeing a worrying trend with their releases, including Halo 5, Halo MCC, Halo Wars 2 and even Halo 4 at the time, all games I enjoyed, have shown me that the developer needs, in my opinion, new management. I think I am quite in touch with their output and my impression of said output, as well as the rest of us, that see Halo 4 multiplayer lacking, Halo 5 releasing incomplete on what seems to be a campaign that went through last minute changes, no BTB on launch, and Halo Wars to this day still crashing ( I am a Champion on Blitz, which I love, I know how the game lacked). So, I don't feel entitled, I really do feel 343 needs new management. I love Halo, but should I just turn a blind eye to their issues? Nah, the same way when public companies start to underperform, and start missing targets and their products seem out of touch, lacking or just "missing" that full package "no complaints" level of goodness, and they have management shakeups? Yeah, 343 meets that mark, even if they have delivered "good" products although not "great", their not "great", aren't they? You even called them "good" but not "great". But, this is my opinion, and I respect your opinion, and would never call it out of touch, or conformist (opposite to "entitled"?). I truly believe Infinite will be good, hopefully it's great, after 5 years of development, missing their target for launch, and such a poor showing for their reveal...yeah, they need a management shakeup.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Seems pretty obvious to me he's talking about changes at the studio. Management related.

Yeah it's absolutely this. Phil seems like a nice guy and all but first and foremost he's running the Xbox brand, and if 343i isn't pulling the weight they should or that's expected of them then Microsoft has no choice but to rectify the problem (if management is the problem). To clarify I'm not saying it's just Phil hiring and firing but I'm sure shareholders aren't too happy about their flagship franchise not having a launch title entry for the Series X either.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not anything related to the TV series. They've already shot more than half of it and, I believe, are resuming production next month. It would make no sense to "cancel" it at this stage with so much money already spent.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This is so baffling.

This is actually good. I don't see how they can fix what needs to be fixed anytime soon so no specific release date or even ballpark is to be preferred imo, maybe that means they're actually listening to the criticism.
As far as I'm concerned they need to delay it until they can match the E3 2018 trailer. They're already missing the console launch so now the focus should be to regain the trust and excitement for the IP among the fans and gaming community in general.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
This is actually good. I don't see how they can fix what needs to be fixed anytime soon so no specific release date or even ballpark is to be preferred imo, maybe that means they're actually listening to the criticism.
As far as I'm concerned they need to delay it until they can match the E3 2018 trailer. They're already missing the console launch so now the focus should be to regain the trust and excitement for the IP among the fans and gaming community in general.

The game was designed around the base Xbox One being a playable option, it's not going to look like that engine trailer.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if it's related to Bonnie or Frankie?

I don't like suggesting that anyone should lose their position (pitch-forking is god awful), especially someone so competent and one of the few female figures in an authoritative position in gaming, but I do question whether Bonnie Ross is cut-out to continue as 343i's head. She's clearly a remarkable person, and an amazing orator and industry role model with a passion for Halo, but I'm unconvinced she knows how to drive the franchise and team properly.

Definitely unfair to lay the blame solely on her without further information, but 343i has reeked of management issues for so long now: from Halo 4's weird tonal/gameplay shift, the MCC shit-show, Halo 5 launching half-baked with a dismal Campaign, Infinite's rocky development, and then a past history of significant crunch, challenging engines and tools, and reports of messy 'headless vision-less' leadership. There's something fundamentally not right in the water at 343i.

Who's to say it's not just unreasonable expectations being pushed on them? A team constantly expected to deliver the impossible. Going from Infinite being on Xbox One, to it also being a premiere launch title for Xbox Series X|S. The whole insanity that was the MCC, porting and combining a whole bunch of games they had little to do with originally creating, after the original team has moved onto other things. It's not as if there haven't been a lot of leadership and direction changes at Microsoft itself.

OutToLunch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they are letting everyone write the narrative of this games development and the sad state of there studio for them by not saying or showing anything.

they're better off not showing anything at this point until they have something that they are certain will wow their fanbase. they're probably going to need at least 6 months but more than likely longer to make it something that truly feels next-gen.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Bonnie Ross is gone and Iam not saying Iam for or against it but she has been way too silent on all of this