4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
And I have a feeling Sony will be left behind.

Sony:
giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
''I don't care because free gaimes'' is something that a finicky child would say, but ok.
I mean, I feel like anyone who isn't just super attached to Sony is fine with MS acquisitions at this point. Play on Xbox or PC (including Steam) with or without Game Pass, or on your phone (and likely soon TV) gives you a ton of options.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
What an awful and sadly predictable future for the industry. Consolidation has always occurred, but not nearly to the ruinous degree that seems increasingly inevitable following recent acquisitions.

Gaming is on track to become bigger than movies, music and sports combined. So yea, big players are trying to secure IP and talent before things really heat up. :D

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
''I don't care because free gaimes'' is something that a finicky child would say, but ok.
It's the opposite, he cares because of the easier access to a multitude of games. Gamepass has helped broaden people's gaming tastes, good for gamers, good for devs, why wouldn't people want that to continue??

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
It's the opposite, he cares because of the easier access to a multitude of games. Gamepass has helped broaden people's gaming habits, why wouldn't they want that to continue??
"Fuck you, got mine"

The reason why you'd be rooting for Microsoft to gobble more companies if you were umbilically tied to them in the first place.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
One person wants games to be available to as many people as people, the other wants millions of people to lose access to games for their own gain.
Why should I care that one console platform misses out? I care much more about the money I spend to worry about some people not being able to play a video game.

If they want to play the game so bad they can buy a console, pc or stream it. I have other things to care about than if some people cant play a certain game on their console of choice lol.

Oct 19, 2020
"Gaming is on track to become bigger than movies, music and sports combined. So yea, big players are trying to secure IP and talent before things really heat up. :D"

This. The value of gaming companies is at an all time high and only increasing.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
One person wants games to be available to as many people as people, the other wants millions of people to lose access to games for their own gain.
Everyone makes an individual purchase decision. Worry about how you spend your money as opposed to how other people justify their purchases.

People will always complain when they think they are going to miss out on some games they would have been getting if not for consolidation; guess what, consolidation has been a persistent thing in gaming. The only reason so much noise id being made about it right now is the fact that there are players that have more money, and possibly the will to spend it than what has been the established big dog.

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020
Everyone makes an individual purchase decision. Worry about how you spend your money as opposed to how other people justify their purchases.

People will always complain when they think they are going to miss out on some games they would have been getting if not for consolidation; guess what, consolidation has been a persistent thing in gaming. The only reason so much noise id being made about it right now is the fact that there are players that have more money, and possibly the will to spend it than what has been the established big dog.
I couldnt of said it better myself.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
ABGAA

anyone but google and amazon
Pretty much this. MS at least puts games on PC (including Steam) and will have physical, GamePass and cloud options.

Sony is not going away from consoles.

EA is multiplatform.

Google and Amazon buying up studios is terrible due to the nature of their platforms. Plus I can see them shuttering studios real quick if things go awry. Google is fast to pull the kill trigger and Amazon had a series of failures already in gaming space.

Jun 15, 2020
I dunno. 10 years ago Cd Projekt Red was not the huge monster they are today, neither was FromSoftware, THQ Nordic, Epic Games and Gearbox weren't publishers yet, etc.... if a bunch of today's current independent studios and publishers get bought, then a new crop will rise up. There will always be some. I don't get too worked up about it.

Montresor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft would be unmatched if they bought the following. Yes I know much of this is unrealistic:

Remedy
Dontnod
Platinum
White Owl (Swery's studio)
Asobo

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Why should I care that one console platform misses out? I care much more about the money I spend to worry about some people not being able to play a video game.

If they want to play the game so bad they can buy a console, pc or stream it. I have other things to care about than if some people cant play a certain game on their console of choice lol.

Funny thing to say when you answer my post looking for a way to justify why the option better for you is the way to go.
If you want to play the games that could come from Google or Amazon acquisitions so bad you just accept the way they handle their ecosystems.
You do care that one platform loses access to content...when it's the platform you play. See how things works?
If you can't understand this then I don't know what to tell you.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
At this point it's a free for all. Any notable public developer that even gets rumors of acquisition are gonna start a bidding war. Sony better start preparing to become self sufficient without as many third party games as before. Nintendo can apparently exist with just their first party.

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
While totally understanding the case against acquisitions of this type (as opposed to Square/Enix style mergers) I would much rather this than watch companies die and catalogues be locked away forever. This over total job losses 100% though.

I think there are better suitors than others, based on how accessible the games will be, but I do see the negative side of it.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but has this ever happened with a company that wasn't A) on the brink of extinction B) looking to sell anyway for their own reasons or C) already largely associated with one "brand" historically? More often than not it isn't "Microsoft tries to buy Nintendo, coming off the N64" levels of talk.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Public acquisitions will get messy. We could see some insane bidding wars if you see a company like TakeTwo decides they want to sell.

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020
Funny thing to say when you answer my post looking for a way to justify why the option better for you is the way to go.
If you want to play the games that could come from Google or Amazon acquisitions so bad you just accept the way they handle their ecosystems.
You do care that one platform loses access to content...when it's the platform you play. See how things works?
If you can't understand this then I don't know what to tell you.
I own all 3 last gen systems, so no I dont care if Sony, Nintendo and MS buy more developers.

If Stadia and Luna have cool exclusives I'll play the games there because I'm not someone who likes a platform more than they like video games.

The option that saves me the most money is the option I like the most, it's not rocket science. If I can save money and the result means millions miss out on their console of choice that's fine with me.

Do I have a preference of Gamepass over Luna and Stadia? Yes I do. Will I play Luna and Stadia exclusives if they interest me? Yes because I'm not a baby who will forgoe good games due to some weird loyalty to a particular console.

Last edited:

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
The best thing you can do in the future is switch between multiple subs when a game you like comes out for Gamepass, Luna, Stadia, and possibly PSNow.

I think I'll be doing that and sticking to a Sony console for as long as I can for my primary gaming needs.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I am terrified of what the gaming industry will look like if Amazon and Google start making major acquisitions. Both companies have the capital to pretty much buy out anyone.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft would be unmatched if they bought the following. Yes I know much of this is unrealistic:

Remedy
Dontnod
Platinum
White Owl (Swery's studio)
Asobo

I don't think any of those make sense for MS at all. They already had relations with Remedy and Platinum that did not go well, Swery doesn't really matter in the big picture, and the other two don't seem up MS's alley.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Man, "Nintendo to buy Capcom????" has been a thing since the Gamecube days, and it was always funny precisely because it was very unlikely

This, though

I don't like none of this

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
This gen will likely change gaming forever.

And I have a feeling Sony will be left behind.
I'm obviously no industry expert analyst, but I wouldn't go there just yet. Sony has a subscription streaming service that exists currently and has many large recognizable IPs as well as studios to produce beloved games and some semblance of a PC plan. Sony has the power to stay a massive player in the industry despite being much smaller, it's just a matter of how long it takes for them to adapt assuming that streaming really is the future.

Consumer goodwill and nostalgia will be incredibly beneficial for Sony

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
I am terrified of what the gaming industry will look like if Amazon and Google start making major acquisitions. Both companies have the capital to pretty much buy out anyone.
And the only thing stopping then is that the publisher/developer doesn't want to be sold but everyone has a price... It's hard to say no when multi billions are in front of you.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for Amazon to shove another company into whatever closet they exiled Double Helix to.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
Game industry is going the same road Hollywood went...is so dangerous to have so many big companies operating like that

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I want giant company to purchase smaller studio. Its employees will make my list bigger than other list.