• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
What did he do? How many creative directors were there? Did they need him? Was there a culture issue? Perhaps he wanted to leave for other things? Perhaps, I dunno, the dinosaurs are not really instinct.

Some people leaving doesn't spell the doom of the company. If anything, it allows people with fresh perspectives and eyes to be promoted to more relevant positions. :)
Might be wrong, but I believe his boss took over his responsibilities and he was forced into a lesser position before quitting.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their track record is terrible. There's lots of turnover. Nothing points to infinite being good.

But what's more relevant here? The track record, or the turnover? Based off of their controversial track record, I wouldn't blame you for not expecting much from the new game, but turnover seems somewhat an unreasonable reason to cast doubt.

If the game isn't working in development, why keep on the same track with the same people?

That's even assuming the departures have to do with conflicts in the vision for the game, and not some larger workplace culture issue.

In terms of "nothing points to infinite being good", it's true we've had an astonishing lack of information regarding the game for two years in a row, but from what we have seen, we know that 343 is at least paying attention to the complaints about art direction. It maybe naive to assume this extends to the actual gameplay, but I feel it's a reason to have hope.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
What did he do? How many creative directors were there? Did they need him? Was there a culture issue? Perhaps he wanted to leave for other things? Perhaps, I dunno, the dinosaurs are not really instinct.

Some people leaving doesn't spell the doom of the company. If anything, it allows people with fresh perspectives and eyes to be promoted to more relevant positions. :)

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That means absolutely nothing. Shortly after the release of Witcher 2, more than 60% of the employees in CDPR left the company, and we ended up with Witcher 3, one of the best games ever made.

Old people go, new people come, things change. Nothing newsworthy.

Do you have a source for this? Also, are we talking full time devs, outsourced employment or contractors, or executives? Because Brad is referring to executive turnover.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Their track record is not "terrible".

Their last two games, while not my favorites were in no way shape or form bad games. "lots of turnover"

What does that even mean? One creative director leaving who had poor philosophy on Halo to begin with, also responsible for one of the worst campaigns out of the franchise is "lots"? We don't even have details on whos leaving now.

It could be some of the people responsible for the poor reception of the last few games.

"nothing points to Infinite being good"

Why? because you say so?

If anything this is the most excited Halo fans have been in a long time. The marketing has been spot on (return to its roots, classic art design, new tech/engine, 60fps again) and people who have long lost interest in Halo are now hyping it up.

Don't spread this bullshit. Be better than that. Classic Era....

Their track record is awful. Halo 4 and halo 5 are not liked at all by the community. Master chief collection was completely broken for years.

Saying 343 industries made games that were disliked by halo fans and poorly received isn't bullshit. Pretending otherwise is.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
What if the person leaving was also in charge of Halo 5 and you didnt like Halo 5? Is Infinite gonna be a mess also then?
Is it just a mess because some is leaving? Questions.

Feb 10, 2018
Not a bad thing. If people at 343 can't deliver then matt booty and other management have no choice but to replace them.
With a franchise as big as halo there will be lots of different directions people want the franchise to go in, and if people can't agree Somone is going to have to make a decision.

Somthing similar happened at naughty dog, Amy henning want to go one way and others in ND want to go a different way.

I don't know if it's the reason for this staff turnover, but it's what I think might be happening.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Their track record is awful. Halo 4 and halo 5 are not liked at all by the community. Master chief collection was completely broken for years.

Saying 343 industries made games that were disliked by halo fans and poorly received isn't bullshit. Pretending otherwise is.
So, again, how is that people who are responsible for their "awful track record" leaving a bad thing? Returning to classic/roots a bad thing?

Just to play the other side of the argument....

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if they showed some gameplay by now. It's been in development for what, 4 years now?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A valid reason to cast doubt, but I still think that being cynical because of employee turnover is misguided.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
When some reputable journalist starts reporting that there is a problem with new Halo then we can get alarmed, this so far could mean billion things.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You're being a bit hyperbolic here. Not enjoying as much as past iterations isn't the same not liking at all. I'd also be cautious about how much emphasis you give to a vocal minority. Halo 4 and 5 whilst not as well recieved as past titles, were still recieved well overall.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Hard not to be concerned considering 343s history of lackluster products. Hopefully nothing.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but this is total bulloni
There past 3 games have over an 80 metacritic. That is the opposite of a "terrible" track record.

To play devil's advocate, metacritic has shit to do with community engagement and response. Halo 5 is doing very... Okay in terms of population it seems, but Halo 4 tanked like a rock post-launch. There's a reason 343 has been so clear with their messaging regarding returning to the old art style. They know the fanbase has been very displeased.

Also, all Halo esports right now are Halo 3, so...

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
people have hated every new halo game since ce for one reason or another

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
When do you reckon we will see some gameplay for the game? I bet a lot of worries will be taken care of once they do show some

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
When do you reckon we will see some gameplay for the game? I bet a lot of worries will be taken care of once they do show some

XO19 in November alongside the announcement of flighting.

To play devil's advocate, metacritic has shit to do with community engagement and response. Halo 5 is doing very... Okay in terms of population it seems, but Halo 4 tanked like a rock post-launch. There's a reason 343 has been so clear with their messaging regarding returning to the old art style. They know the fanbase has been very displeased.

Also, all Halo esports right now are Halo 3, so...

Halo 5 came out 4 years ago, the population dying down is expected.

Halo's eSports being Halo 3 focused has to do with them changing it up after 3 years of Halo 5 and the rebuild of MCC for the Xbox One.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
it's not that top levels folks are leaving is bad is that it's happening when a game is like a year out from launch. it's not like they'e gonna reboot this title when it's this far into development and especially since they won't be able to delay the title. this puppy is gonna launch with scarlette no matter what the game is like, and it's probably gonna be like whatever these top dudes envisioned for it.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
"343 never made a good Halo, they just can't get Halo right"

*News about a executive turnover which means they will probably have a new vision about what they want to do with the franchise*

"Man, Halo Infinite is doomed, isn't it?"

LOL

If you think 343i were not good and there's a change coming you should feel relieved then, no? This is only concerning if you liked the direction 343 took with Halo 4 and 5, but here we are.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry but this is total bulloni
There past 3 games have over an 80 metacritic. That is the opposite of a "terrible" track record.

Critical reviews and user reception are completely different. Master chief collection is at 85 metacritic and was broken for years.

Halo used to be the premier FPS franchise. It's fallen very far since then due to the poor user reception of 343's games.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I really, really, REALLY want this game to be good. Probably my most anticipated game alongside Cyberpunk at the moment.

it's not that top levels folks are leaving is bad is that it's happening when a game is like a year out from launch. it's not like they'e gonna reboot this title when it's this far into development and especially since they won't be able to delay the title. this puppy is gonna launch with scarlette no matter what the game is like, and it's probably gonna be like whatever these top dudes envisioned for it.
I really, really do think they'll try their best to make it on time for launch. But if the game isn't great by then and they think it's possible to really increase the quality through a delay, I bet they delay it.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I dislike this line of reasoning being used as a way to deflect criticism in long-running franchises.

There's always someone that hates a certain entry, but it's hardly ever consistently the larger playerbase for every single game. The fact is that Halo no longer sets sales or player population records, and it no longer wins awards. This isn't due to Halo alone, but it seems disingenuous to pin all the blame on other games too.

If a game like Counter Strike can thrive in 2019, why not Halo?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
"343 never made a good Halo, they just can't get Halo right"

*News about a executive turnover which means they will probably have a new vision about what they want to do with the franchise*

"Man, Halo Infinite is doomed, isn't it?"

LOL

If you think 343i were not good and there's a change coming you should feel relieved then, no? This is only concerning if you liked the direction 343 took with Halo 4 and 5, but here we are.
I would be relieved
If that change happened 3 years before launch and not a year before.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I see the word "worry" or stuff like it too much...yall gonna stress yallselves out. It's not good for your health ya know.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
execs should have been let go after 4 and again after 5 and MCC. better late than never, i guess..

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I'm playing H5 co-op right now and its way better than I remember. I think I was a bit too harsh on the game when it first came out. Even Locke is starting to grow on me

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017

Thats a bit simplistic, Halo 2, 3, ODST and Halo Wars all received fairly well, they all received criticism as you would expect of games played by so many. (As did Halo CE)

The mechanics introduced by Reach are where the series started to get more divisive amongst its fans.

I would argue 343 muddled the water by doubling down on some mechanics that didn't receive well on the multiplayer side but also disappointed fans on the single player side.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shame to hear they're seemingly having some issues over there. Hope they get things turned around for the best.

Also super weird seeing people post about Halo 4/5 being 'disasters' lol. The community isn't there the same way, but they both sold and reviewed well. Its kinda like saying Pepsi is destitute because Coke is more popular.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I feel really sorry for this team. Clearly super talented but completely shackled to this one IP that isn't even their own creation, and with astronomical expectations from each release.

I hope Infinite gets the critical reception everyone wants it to, just like Gears 5 did, but mostly because I want to seem them flex their creative muscles on a new IP that they can feel complete ownership of.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel really sorry for this team. Clearly super talented but completely shackled to this one IP that isn't even their own creation, and with astronomical expectations from each release.

I hope Infinite gets the critical reception everyone wants it to, just like Gears 5 did, but mostly because I want to seem them flex their creative muscles on a new IP that they can feel complete ownership of.

To be fair, the studio was built from the ground up with that in mind. I don't think you apply for 343 if you don't want to work on Halo.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their track record is not "terrible".
Don't spread this bullshit. Be better than that. Classic Era....
They don't have a terrible track record but not a good one either. Ideally infinite will be a great halo game but until it's out we have the games they have released and that's not a good track record.

You got to be kidding me. They made two million sellers with high metacritic scores.
That was one of the best franchises and made it largely meh. Halo isn't in a good place after 5 and unless infinite is top notch than the franchise will never be where it was.

Exactly.