nicoreese

Jan 18, 2018
Braid Anniversary Edition is a remaster of the classic time-manipulating platformer from 2008.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smk9Dc544_E

- 40 new levels
- New sound effects and music by Martin Stig Andersen (who worked on Control , Inside, Limbo) and Hans Christian Kock (who has done extensive film and TV work)
- New graphics (now in 4K, redrawn by the original artist with animated strokes)
- Toggle to instantly switch to old graphics, sounds, and effects
- 15 hours of developer commentary with interactive in-game elements

Out today on Steam, PS4/PS5, Switch, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and on iOS and Android for Netflix subscribers. (Xbox version releasing May 15)
Depending on the platform there are various sales available, including 50% off if you already own the game on Steam. Otherwise its base price should be $20 across all stores.

Aug 31, 2019
Holy shit it has new levels? I haven't played that game since it came out, but 40 sounds substantial in comparison to what is already there

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Jonathan Blow is so far up his own ass he's basically an endoscope but braid is a masterpiece.

OP
OP
nicoreese

nicoreese

Jan 18, 2018
Holy shit it has new levels? I haven't played that game since it came out, but 40 sounds substantial in comparison to what is already there

Yes, there's an entirely new commentary world according to the PSN trophies. In the trailer it looks like you can disable all of the documentary stuff though and just play the levels without having to care about that.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really interested in impressions from new people, because based on my experience, this is the poster boy of that era for a game that just does not hold up.

Also Blow is a dick.

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
In the sense that you didn't find the puzzles fun, or difficult, or engaging? Or more that you don't think it warrants the place in history that it holds, because in the context of today it's pretty basic?
In the sense that the game controls like crap but also has a bunch of time-precision puzzles. Played it last year, pretty darn frustrating.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In the sense that you didn't find the puzzles fun, or difficult, or engaging? Or more that you don't think it warrants the place in history that it holds, because in the context of today it's pretty basic?

I think it has a place in history, but more because of significance at a time and establishing how these indie games could be well regarded and do well on consoles. The puzzles aren't fun, the controls are not good enough and the nicest thing I will say about the art, even back then, is that it would be divisive. I do not like looking at it.

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
I remember what a talking point it was that the game cost a whole 1600 MS Points ($20 at the time) despite being "only" a downloadable and relatively short game. In that sense it has a place in history for heralding the future of digital-only indie gaming reaching its audience for a fair price to the developer.

I recently played the original via backwards compatibility and found the gameplay held up but the pretentious story stuff didn't at all for me. I might bite on the new edition on sale on PSN at some point, though.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Despite all the praise for this, I wasn't huge on it when I finally played it. Found it to be a frustrating experience. Was never that hot on the art style, but that's personal preference and I appreciate the artist returning to fix it up as well as the ability to toggle back to the original for anyone wanting to.

Story/Theme spoilers below but also was not a fan:

I'm okay with the general deconstruction of the damsel in distress archetype but the story slips into actual pretentiousness territory with everything related to the nuke metaphor for the hidden ending. Just so far up it's own ass and didn't say anything of worth that even remotely connected with the rest of the game's primary themes and messaging for me, other than being crowbarred in to fit.

All of this combined with Jon Blow's notable and repeated recent history of being an anti-vaxxer and a rampant misogynist, I'd strongly urge anyone to think twice before buying this.

Not sure I'd personally enjoy more levels of gameplay I wasn't huge on, and the dev commentary is obviously not a selling point here either.

Aug 31, 2019
I think it has a place in history, but more because of significance at a time and establishing how these indie games could be well regarded and do well on consoles. The puzzles aren't fun, the controls are not good enough and the nicest thing I will say about the art, even back then, is that it would be divisive. I do not like looking at it.
Heh, I definitely have mixed feelings about the art. I remember not liking it initially, but it did grow on me a bit over time.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Cannot imagine giving Jonathan Blow a dime in the year of our lord 2024.

To be frank, I always thought of Braid as a game with a few novel mechanics that wore off their welcome pretty quickly so even if the money weren't going to an absolute prick, I don't know if I'd want to re-up. I just never clicked with it.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I'm okay with the general deconstruction of the damsel in distress archetype but the story slips into actual pretentiousness territory with everything related to the nuke metaphor for the hidden ending. Just so far up it's own ass and didn't say anything of worth that even remotely connected with the rest of the game's primary themes and messaging for me, other than being crowbarred in to fit.
I'd be curious to hear what you think the storie's primary themes are. I think people focus too much on the Manhattan project reference in the ending becuase it's a reference that's easy to cling onto nd take literally, when it's really just a very mild metaphor for unintended consequences as a creator.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Despite all the praise for this, I wasn't huge on it when I finally played it. Found it to be a frustrating experience. Was never that hot on the art style, but that's personal preference and I appreciate the artist returning to fix it up as well as the ability to toggle back to the original for anyone wanting to.

Story/Theme spoilers below but also was not a fan:

All of this combined with Jon Blow's notable and repeated recent history of being an anti-vaxxer and a rampant misogynist, I'd strongly urge anyone to think twice before buying this.

Not sure I'd personally enjoy more levels of gameplay I wasn't huge on, and the dev commentary is obviously not a selling point here either.
Was it a deconstruction? Admittedly it's been a hot minute since I've played but all I remember was that you were actually the monster the damsel was getting away from all along or something like that, it wasn't really anything super profound.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
I remember what a talking point it was that the game cost a whole 1600 MS Points ($20 at the time) despite being "only" a downloadable and relatively short game. In that sense it has a place in history for heralding the future of digital-only indie gaming reaching its audience for a fair price to the developer.

I recently played the original via backwards compatibility and found the gameplay held up but the pretentious story stuff didn't at all for me. I might bite on the new edition on sale on PSN at some point, though.
Not that it wasn't a talking point, but it was actually 1200 MSPoints, when other games were 400 or 800.

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
Not that it wasn't a talking point, but it was actually 1200 MSPoints, when other games were 400 or 800.
Ah right thanks. Yeah, it broke through the 800 point barrier in any case. These days with the death of the "normal" mobile game industry because no one is willing to pay decent upfront prices for anything, it feels like a different era altogether.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think the game is quite good (as is the Witness), but you'd have to give me a pretty heavy concussion before I support Blow these days.

Sangral