• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Dammit.

Uproxx said:
Brand New frontman Jesse Lacey is the latest public figure that stands accused of sexual misconduct. The accusations stem from a public Facebook post that asked why people hadn't begun to group Lacey with the wave of sexual predators that have recently been outed.

The comments on the post hold many who agree with the sentiment, leaving knowing replies without actually making concrete allegations. But one woman, Nicole Elizabeth Garey, left a series of comments that specifically accuse Lacey of soliciting nudes when she was still a minor, along with masturbating in front of her via Skype. We reached out to Garey and are reporting her comments with her consent.

"YES. He solicited nudes from me starting when I was 15 and he was 24. Manipulated the hell out of me, demanded specific poses/settings/clothing, demeaned me, and made it clear that my sexuality was the only thing I had to offer. He knew what he was doing was sh*tty so he wouldn't touch me until I was 19. I should've known better by then, but he had screwed me up so much psychologically that all I wanted was his approval. It fucked me up to the point that I STILL have nightmares and wakeup in a sweat. I still breakdown and have panic attacks when people play Brand New in a bar. JESSE LACEY IS A PIECE OF SH*T"

OH AND YES HE MADE ME WATCH HIM MASTURBATE ON SKYPE. Apparently that's a common thing with sexual predators. I took screen shots at some point, they're probably on a computer in my basement if I ever really wanted to rehash my past that much (I don't think I do).

From Jason Tate of Chorus FM (a popular punk/emo news site):

Jason Tate said:
I have multiple friends in common with the woman making the accusation on Facebook.

I believe her.

This one REALLY sucks. Everyone is terrible.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User was Warned for: Not the Time and Place to Make This Comment.
I too was accused of something in college. The good thing is that the truth came out and I was cleared.

I'm not saying this isn't true, but I do expect some fake accusations as well.

Leplutorius

Oct 28, 2017
Having read that facebook post it really looks like it's has been in the air for a while. Glad that people have the courage to out the predators.

Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA
It's important to remember this shit is widespread and has always remained hidden. This needs to remain in the light so the next generation know this is unacceptable behavior. I hope those coming forward are given the emotional and mental support they need.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I too was accused of something in college. The good thing is that the truth came out and I was cleared.

I'm not saying this isn't true, but I do expect some fake accusations as well.

I was accused of something and went to trial. Was finally cleared after lengthy obstacles.

Our experiences don't change anything.

We all hope they don't come out true but sometimes that isn't the case.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. Been listening to them a lot lately, too, in the wake of their new album.

Very disgusting and disappointing, if it's true about him.

TheWickedSoul

Oct 26, 2017
They're done regardless. They were breaking up next year.

Either way, that Lacey is problematic is of no surprise. Just listen to his early lyrics especially. Followed with the subsequent albums that boil down essentially to "I'm a piece of shit and hate myself"

Oh, I didn't know that, haven't really followed this band. I'll look into the early lyrics.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How fucking hard is it to not be a disgusting filth monster?

Can't listen to Science Fiction anymore I guess.

ohkay

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not that surprising, considering some of their songs (like Me vs. Maradona vs. Elvis), but looks like I should find a new avatar

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I'm devastated, as a fan of the band. Obviously that doesn't compare to the anguish the victim(s) has suffered.
I hope he does what he can to set things...closer to right, and doesn't just dig himself deeper into shit. I like to believe people can change for the better.

Though, I honestly don't know what to do with all these figures being revealed as utter shitheads, predators, and monsters. Is there a thread for that?

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I'm not going to stop listening to their music, as it's gotten me through a lot of very rough times and has been integral in a lot of my life. It's not realistic for me to try and excise it. The relationship I have with it has been created by me and is personal.

That said, I'm not going to be trying to get tix if they ever get around to Portland again.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
If you guys don't follow the scene or aren't in it that much, Jason Tate making a comment IS a big deal.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
As a fan of like 15 years, this is fucking disappointing.

It's also not totally surprising given some of their lyrical content.

Rotpb

Oct 30, 2017
New York
Man... this one really fucking sucks... Brand New has been my favorite band since high school and I was really digging the new album... Fuck.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Out of all of the people in the world, I would have never expected Jessie to do this. My whole high school, college and present life has revolved around Brand New. These guys helped me get through so many rough patches in life. My whole life feels like a lie.

If this ends up to be true (sounds like it is), is it possible for a mod to change my name or am I branded forever

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I mean straight up, as someone who came up in hardcore and punk, the number of shitty people that inhabit that space is incredibly high. Anyone who spent any amount of time on the Bridge 9 Board, or Lambgoat, or any number of places knows the score. The scene, and the people who hold any amount of celebrity in particular in those scenes (i.e. bands/promoters) are incredibly predatory on young women. It's disgusting, and entirely, and depressingly, unsurprising.

It's not unique to Jesse Lacey, or Brand New, it's everywhere and has largely been swept under the rug by tons and tons of people. It's a fucking bummer that most of this stuff never rises above the level of a forum post, or Tumblr blog because these scenes are so small and insular, nobody takes these women seriously when they come forward, often times years later. Every woman I've known who has been involved in these scenes beyond a level of casual concert goer or someone who listens to music on the internet has had interactions like this. These guys try to play rock star and exploit young girls to their benefit.

It's a huge fucking problem when these scenes rely upon people being involved to grow and thrive. People promoting shows, people writing music, making shirts, making zines, etc. the DIY culture encourages bands and people who support them to interact on a close level and people have been taking advantage of women in those situations forever.

'Good dude backed hard'

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
I mean straight up, as someone who came up in hardcore and punk, the number of shitty people that inhabit that space is incredibly high. Anyone who spent any amount of time on the Bridge 9 Board, or Lambgoat, or any number of places knows the score. The scene, and the people who hold any amount of celebrity in particular in those scenes (i.e. bands/promoters) are incredibly predatory on young women. It's disgusting, and entirely, and depressingly, unsurprising.

It's not unique to Jesse Lacey, or Brand New, it's everywhere and has largely been swept under the rug by tons and tons of people. It's a fucking bummer that most of this stuff never rises above the level of a forum post, or Tumblr blog because these scenes are so small and insular, nobody takes these women seriously when they come forward, often times years later. Every woman I've known who has been involved in these scenes beyond a level of casual concert goer or someone who listens to music on the internet has had interactions like this. These guys try to play rock star and exploit young girls to their benefit.

It's a huge fucking problem when these scenes rely upon people being involved to grow and thrive. People promoting shows, people writing music, making shirts, making zines, etc. the DIY culture encourages bands and people who support them to interact on a close level and people have been taking advantage of women in those situations forever.

'Good dude backed hard'

It's particularly dangerous and threatening for underage girls. As the the culture of punk and hardcore is extremely appealing to you as your coming of age, and the expanded availability and acceptance of counter-culture in general. Girls want to rebel just as much as boys do. And in the music scene, the men/boys still hold the power structure. Girls with low self esteem, anxiety, or looking for acceptance start catering to these young men who start getting glimpses and taste of a power structure in the scene.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Out of all of the people in the world, I would have never expected Jessie to do this. My whole high school, college and present life has revolved around Brand New. These guys helped me get through so many rough patches in life. My whole life feels like a lie.

If this ends up to be true (sounds like it is), is it possible for a mod to change my name or am I branded forever

I'm sure a mod can help you out.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017

damn dude :'(

Edit: Just remembered my name is from a Naughty Dog game, too...