Arkage

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the few games I've 100%ed. Originally bought it for the demo like others, but fell in love with it. Haven't played it since I was a kid though, maybe I should get back into it.

astoria_sky

Oct 27, 2017
What I would give for a remake of this game. Its still my favorite "Zelda" game. It was such a letdown how dissapointing the sequel was. All the charm and humor of the first one was just lost and it came out during peak belt and zippers Nomura.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm here to add my voice to the chorus. Great game, outstanding music. Thanks for reminding me of it OP, I think I'm gonna revisit the OST.

n00bp

Oct 28, 2017
Oh man, I LOVED this game! As far as I can remember, it's the first game that followed me into my dreams, I played it so much.

At least once a year for the last decade I've thought about playing through it again, and I've even started it a few times, but I always put it aside after an hour or so. Strange too, because I don't mind the controls or the aged graphics and still find the gameplay, music and story to be great!

One of these days I'll rectify that...

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Japanese version of this game in Chinatown so I could play the FFVIII demo. Good times.

I got through the game a couple times with very little knowledge of Japanese and it was a lot of fun. Learned the language a little bit and really enjoyed the voice acting.
This is pretty much my experience. I imported it, but, unlike you, I only made it so far before I had to give up, due to the language barrier. It's always been on my list of games to purchase again, in English this time, but I just haven't gotten to it yet.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I was young my brother told me this is a combination between Sonic & Mario & Zelda altogether

damn...
Lol I had never played a Nintendo console leading up to the PS1 so I had no reference for this type of game (only had a Genesis growing up). All my brother told me was "the guys who made FFVII made this" and I was all in :D

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I played the demo of this game many times, but I never got to play the full game. I'm glad to hear that the full game's even better than the demo was!

Evil Calvin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Louis
Great era for Square. They were Square /EA at the time for a few years and released Brave Fencer, Saga Frontier 2, Legend of Mana, Threads of Fate, Parasite Eve 1 & 2, Chrono Cross, FF9 and FF10, Vagrant Story, just to name a few. I would say that they were more productive in those few years than any 5 year span since then!

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, how I miss this game.

I would love a remake or a true sequel. I'd love nothing more than to play as that little brat again.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the few games I've 100%ed. Originally bought it for the demo like others, but fell in love with it. Haven't played it since I was a kid though, maybe I should get back into it.
The action figures side quest ensured that I played the game to 100%. That and the Minkus. Oh and the legendary gear. Man this game did sidequests so well!

I'm here to add my voice to the chorus. Great game, outstanding music. Thanks for reminding me of it OP, I think I'm gonna revisit the OST.
No problem! Glad I could get something started in your head :)

Oh man, I LOVED this game! As far as I can remember, it's the first game that followed me into my dreams, I played it so much.

At least once a year for the last decade I've thought about playing through it again, and I've even started it a few times, but I always put it aside after an hour or so. Strange too, because I don't mind the controls or the aged graphics and still find the gameplay, music and story to be great!

One of these days I'll rectify that...
We both need to get back into it, it seems. And I don't think the game has aged nearly as bad as others in that time frame. Just an overall charming game.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Always wanted to try this just because of the blocky FF-VII like character model

Maybe one day!

Toadette

Oct 29, 2017
Got this game with the Final fantasy demo. Man this was a good game that I had to go buy the the full version. The gameplay and music were just everything back then.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the time I completed this, it was my favorite game of all time. Love collecting all the action figures, the day/night cycle, and the fusion system.

Charming as hell.

ze62qp1.gif
This scene is only about 10 minutes into the game but you knew right at this moment that you were about to play something different/special.

Subsistence

Oct 25, 2017
Used to run this game on background so I can hear this music.

YES. Holy crap the nostalgia.

This is pretty much my experience. I imported it, but, unlike you, I only made it so far before I had to give up, due to the language barrier. It's always been on my list of games to purchase again, in English this time, but I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Yeah I got stuck a few times but at the time I had a Japanese coworker that helped me.

The best thing about this game is I wasn't expecting anything. I just wanted to play the FF8 demo. But the game was so fun and charming it blew me away.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
This game, just like many other Square PS1 games, never had any European release. It's so sad. I spent years asking Square-Enix Europe to release PS1 US Imports on the EU PS Store since Sony Europe started to allow PS1 US Imports, but nothing. They don't care. Bastards.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The sequel was really bad.

The original was probably one of my favorite games on PSX.

Just last month i woke up with this in my head for no apparent reason

Great era for Square. They were Square /EA at the time for a few years and released Brave Fencer, Saga Frontier 2, Legend of Mana, Threads of Fate, Parasite Eve 1 & 2, Chrono Cross, FF9 and FF10, Vagrant Story, just to name a few. I would say that they were more productive in those few years than any 5 year span since then!
The best Square years.

Amen

Oct 27, 2017

The best Square years.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Loved this game to death. Bought it when it first came out. Love the music and the art style. Rescuing folks, watching the castle grow (and hearing the awesome music change after adding musicians), and the general vibe of the game was just so nice. Should do a replay soon. Cant add another game to my backlog though :/

daniocean

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man such a great game and great OP. Thanks for bringing back the flood of memories. Square's output on PSX was just outstanding.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Man, threads like this remind me of how old I'm getting.

Anyways, long live Brave Fencer Musashi!

OP
OP

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved this game to death. Bought it when it first came out. Love the music and the art style. Rescuing folks, watching the castle grow (and hearing the awesome music change after adding musicians), and the general vibe of the game was just so nice. Should do a replay soon. Cant add another game to my backlog though :/
You can and you will >:[

Oh man such a great game and great OP. Thanks for bringing back the flood of memories. Square's output on PSX was just outstanding.
Thank you! Glad to bring back some nice memories :)

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is one of the few games I've 100%ed.
One of the great aspects of this game, especially for modern gamers with backlogs, is that it isn't difficult to 100%, but still very satisfying. I did it just by playing the game normally, but it does require a bit of thought.

Fantastic game. This and Threads of Fate are both awesome action RPGs that a modern gamer can enjoy and neither waste the player's time.

Deleted member 3876

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still have my original copy, dunno how it survived the years though (I'm not much of a collector). Sadly I don't have a PS1 anymore so emulation is kinda my only option (unless I wanna shell out for a used one and nah, don't wanna).

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite games of all time. I will always sing the praises of Musashi. Recently tried to replay it on my PS3 & it does some weird things to the disc. It only got a digital release on the Japanese PSN. I would love a remake for it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this and Tomba are my secret loves from the PSX era.
Never played Tomba but I've been meaning to ever since I watched the "I would really prefer if you'd be quiet" speedrun a few months ago!

One of my favorite games of all time. I will always sing the praises of Musashi. Recently tried to replay it on my PS3 & it does some weird things to the disc. It only got a digital release on the Japanese PSN. I would love a remake for it.
Man...those lucky Japanese folks :\ I'm actually thinking about just setting up my PS2 to play this again.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
PAL missed out of heaps of stuff. :( It was a wonderful time for Square if you could play NTSC things, many awesome games and a lot of variety!

Cyrus_Saren

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Iowa
Loved the game as a kid. Been wanting to replay it but cannot find my disc at all. I've been waiting and hoping for a rerelease but it seems unlikely at this point.

Lumpy Onion

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved this game. This infectious tune from the rhythm boss will forever be stuck with me...

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really really good adventure game.

One of the few games from that era that I went back to 100% after my initial play through.

The sword drain mechanic in the boss battles was so cool.

enemy2k

Oct 29, 2017
Loved this game. I remember how bad I was at remembering my way around one of the big cities tho lol.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
One of my personal favorites from the PS1 and something I've been meaning to go back and play again after all these years. I banged around that game until I found absolutely everything I could, even replaying the final boss over and over again to get more action figures.With as much as I loved the original game I never even attempted the play the sequel.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I still have this, and I never finished it, even though I find it to be very, very charming.

And I'd buy the soundtrack on vinyl if it existed.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing the demo quite a few times. I'd love to see this rereleased as a PS1 classic or as a Secret of Mana style remaster.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Dam, 19 years old? Makes me feel pretty old, lol. Game was sooo good though. I really wish they would remaster it. Had some really good gameplay, but man I remember that timed escape you had to do from all those valves/pipes or something about to blow up. I remember that part giving me some trouble as a kid, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful OP for a magnificent game. Like Megaman Legends at the time, it has aged wonderfully thanks to all the character and charm crammed into it, and can't recommend it enough. But as you've illustrated, it's almost impossible to play unless you emulate it. The music is fantastic and extremely vibrant, especially considering the PS1 era limitations. Even just recently I was pulling up the soundtrack for a quick listen. I also loved the naming conventions of using liquids and drinks (although the Japanese version stuck everyone with hard liquor for names, the localization's renaming was still clever and memorable.)

One of my scariest moments in my young gaming life was the Vambee theme starting to play and naively running around the town at night only to see one of those fucking ghouls round a corner. I fucking nearly shit myself. The crises at the Steamwood facility was also one of the most stressful things I'd ever attempted in my life, no joke, lol. That music and the precision timing required for the valves was fucked up! And they have the gall to pull that scenario not once but twice!!

Still though, there are few gaming pleasures as sublime as wandering around town with the laid back music, talking to people, poking around the Castle, accidentally discovering something new, or a clue or an ability or a character that rewards your curiosity. I love the game dearly and feel like one of the few people that actually bought it outright for being Musashi (since I happened to play a demo that came in a magazine disc I think) and not for the included FF8 demo. In fact, I don't think I ever even really touched the demo, haha!

It's a shame the sequel totally threw out everything that made the first game appealing. I appreciated what it was *trying* to do, but it might as well had been for a new franchise. And the voice acting was simply horrendous. Oh well. Maybe Squeenix will find it in their heart to remake the first game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful OP for a magnificent game. Like Megaman Legends at the time, it has aged wonderfully thanks to all the character and charm crammed into it, and can't recommend it enough. But as you've illustrated, it's almost impossible to play unless you emulate it. The music is fantastic and extremely vibrant, especially considering the PS1 era limitations. Even just recently I was pulling up the soundtrack for a quick listen. I also loved the naming conventions of using liquids and drinks (although the Japanese version stuck everyone with hard liquor for names, the localization's renaming was still clever and memorable.)

One of my scariest moments in my young gaming life was the Vambee theme starting to play and naively running around the town at night only to see one of those fucking ghouls round a corner. I fucking nearly shit myself. The crises at the Steamwood facility was also one of the most stressful things I'd ever attempted in my life, no joke, lol. That music and the precision timing required for the valves was fucked up! And they have the gall to pull that scenario not once but twice!!

Still though, there are few gaming pleasures as sublime as wandering around town with the laid back music, talking to people, poking around the Castle, accidentally discovering something new, or a clue or an ability or a character that rewards your curiosity. I love the game dearly and feel like one of the few people that actually bought it outright for being Musashi (since I happened to play a demo that came in a magazine disc I think) and not for the included FF8 demo. In fact, I don't think I ever even really touched the demo, haha!

It's a shame the sequel totally threw out everything that made the first game appealing. I appreciated what it was *trying* to do, but it might as well had been for a new franchise. And the voice acting was simply horrendous. Oh well. Maybe Squeenix will find it in their heart to remake the first game.
Wonderfully said, Peak! The words I've been seeing most often is "charm" and I think it's a good testament to how great a job Square did with this. It's not even the nostalgia talking either, because even today many of the gameplay aspects hold up very well.

And I don't even want a remake, necessarily, because I'm almost positive the charm and PS1 jankiness wouldn't translate well into this generation. Just release it on the PS store dang it lol

Last edited:

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Bought for the FFVIII demo, but ended up really enjoying it and left an impression, since I still remember playing it to this day.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
I, like many others, bought this game for the FFVIII demo. Ended up loving it so much more. I didn't just 100% it. I 100% it four different times!
The story was fun, simple and tongue-in-cheek. One of my favorites in the genre.

♪ x, o, triangle, square ♪
♪ x, o , triangle, o ♪
♪ x, o, triangle, square ♪
♪ x, x, o, o , square ♪