• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
P17Ipef.gif

Release Dates
Japan: July 16, 1998
North America: October 31, 1998
Europe: ...wait, Wikipedia says Europe never got this. Is that true? If so, what a shame!
Platforms: PS1
Developer: Squaresoft

Brave Fencer Musashi is a PS1 Action RPG that was unlike anything I had played at the time. It featured sword-based combat, hilarious voiceovers, wonderful characters, day/night cycles, 3D environments, a fatigue system, and one of the most memorable stories I've had the pleasure of playing through. This game was seriously in a league of its own and has, unfortunately, been forgotten by the masses (mostly Square Enix).

Here's what Brave Fencer did great:

The Hero
Some backstory: Long ago, the Allucaneet Kingdom was under constant attack by a fiend known as "The Wizard of Darkness", who used his powers to throw an unrelenting barrage of terror on Allucaneet's residents. After seasons of darkness and sorrow…finally, a hero appeared! This hero was known as Musashi, and he was here to save the day! Musashi fought the evil wizard and ultimately won. With the help of his mighty sword (Lumina) Musashi sealed away the wizard and kept evil at bay.

Fast forward to present day in the Allucaneet Kingdom. The evil Thirstquencher Empire has suddenly attacked, kidnapping several residents of the Allucaneet Kingdom. Princess Fillet has been tasked with performing the "Hero Summon" (the summon needed to bring back Musashi) but is surprised to find out that he's....not what they were expecting.

T3n98mo.png

Turns out Musashi is a loud-mouthed, arrogant, and smart-alecky youngster. Seeing as he's the guy you're controlling the whole game, you'd think this would be a problem. Thankfully, Musashi is also quick-to-defend, loveable, and an overall stand-up guy.

He's not at all what the Kingdom was expecting...but he's all they've got! After a quick meet-and-greet with the remaining palace members, Musashi is given a task: save the kingdom from the Thirstquencher Empire. In order to do this, he'll need to 1) Retrieve Lumina 2) Save the kidnapped Allucaneet palace members and 3) Obtain the 5 scrolls of legend.

(There's more to do than that but I don't want to spoil too much)

The Gameplay
BFM is unlike any other JRPG because of its action elements. You've got two swords at your disposal: Lumina and Fusion. Lumina is a heavy-hitting red sword that's necessary to take down the harder enemies and bosses in the game. Fusion is a smaller blue sword that can smack away little baddies, but it's also got an amazing power.

EysFTyo.gif

Fusion can be used to copy the abilities of your enemies. It's kind of like Kirby, except you're taking one very specific power from an enemy. For example, let's say you're stuck on a path with spiky thorn bushes blocking your way. Obviously you can't walk through it because you'll hurt yourself, so what do you do? Look for bad guys, take their powers, and experiment! BFM did a great job of making you look at enemy abilities and seeing how it could be used for traversal and combat.

In the case of the thorny bushes, Musashi could learn the "Hop" ability from a flower enemy and hop right across the dangerous terrain.

DL4mXTr.gif

The Palace Rescuees
The palace members of Allucaneet have been kidnapped and encased in Bincho Fields (these green cage-thingies) by the Thirsquencher Empire! It's up to you to find where they've been taken and free them from their prison. Freeing each palace member slowly opened up the Kingdom's shops and vendors, making it possible to advance the story, craft special accessories, and restore your health (among many other things).

Finding every Palace member was an absolute blast, especially knowing that each member saved helped you get stronger and learn new abilities. Seeing sections of the castle open up again with new palace members made the experience of finding these people all the more enjoyable.

WhHjQXC.png

The Characters / Localization
This is how you make characters and bad guys. Each one was memorable because of their voice actor and written dialogue. The localization and VA team deserve all the praise in the world for bringing these characters to life. And even though this is a Squaresoft game, you'd never know it with how campy and goofy everybody is. It's like the entire team chose to have fun with the script and went all out, making for some of the most cheerful and likeable allies/villains. Enough cannot be said about how much I adore the people that help/hinder Musashi in his journey.

The Music
BFM's soundtrack was composed by Tsuyoshi Sekito who is known for a lot of collab work for yuge games like Chrono Trigger, Dawn of Mana, The Last Remnant, and Kingdom Hearts BBS. He did a fantastic job with this OST and I've listed a few personal favorites. They range anywhere from heroic to haunting, and they've been in my head for almost 20 years now.

9kkJq6O.png

The Musashi Legend
The Treachery of the...
The White Cloud in the Sky
Infiltration into Soda Fountain
Allucaneet Palace

The Bosses
I want to avoid spoiling too much so I've only taken a few screencaps of just a few moments from the game that stand out to me.

Vsyuock.png

These are just a handful of the many bosses you'll come across in the game. Along with the crest guardians and the Thirstquencher Empire, you'll also be fighting against bitter rivals from days past and steam punk monstrosities that require all of Musashi's abilities (including jetpacking!)

So, that's why you'd probably love Brave Fencer Musashi. With that said, there are a few things that you might not love.

The Minigames
BFM does a great job at keeping things fresh and exciting. It's the type of action RPG that doesn't want to get into a routine, which is great. But some of the breaks in between dungeon crawling can be a little obtuse. Now, I love most everything about this game but I can understand why people would get annoyed with the minigames that are basically necessary to advance the story. You'll have to stop a steam generator from blowing up the town, survive a tunnel ride with a bug-kart, and even go rafting through a waterfall (among many other events)! Again, I liked them, but you might not.

The Platforming
Musashi's controls take a while to get used to. His jump doesn't arc in the nicest way and it's actually rather short (because he's a little turd n' all) which makes for somewhat frustrating platforming sections early on. As the game progress, however, Musashi learns abilities that let him double jump, jet pack around, and even climb walls (take that BotW!), which makes the platforming much more enjoyable.

09lbwQz.gif

The Voice Acting
I love the voice acting in this game because it it's so overly goofy and exaggerated but I can totally understand why some people would find it annoying. Honestly, I was thrown off by it at first but I ended up loving how everyone sounded by the end of the game (even Rootrick).

The Vambees
Seriously fuck these zombie vampire blood sucking auto-kill douchebags. The music, the noise they make, the fact that you're basically dead if they grab you. Fuuuuuuck them.
0UB0C56.png

So, that's about it! I absolutely adore this game through and through and I feel like I could go on and on about how great this game is but I'll stop here. There's so much more to the game that I feel I haven't talked enough about. It's truly a shame that Square never released this outside of the PS1. If anyone at Square is reading this: For the love of God, please…at least release this on the PS Store. I would be forever grateful. To the rest of you Era-ers/ Reset-lers/ Reset-lamites (have we figured out what we're calling each other?), if you have the good fortune of buying this classic ARPG and you still have a PS1/PS2 lying around, you won't be disappointed! Happy Halloween, everyone!

Cid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great game for sure.
And I love the way it looks. Great art design. And the enemy skill system is fun.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I miss this game so much.. Did that weird sequel kill the series?

Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely love this game.

I recently replayed and beat the game to completion a few years back and was surprised at just how amazing and fun this game is.

It definitively came out during a time when Square was more willing to experiment and willing to create new IPs. Sadly, I would imagine that Kingdom Hearts has occupied the space that this game previously used to hold in its stable and has therefore been put out to pasture. It definitely should be better remembered, but given that most people purchased it for a chance to play Final Fantasy VIII's early demo, it's not likely we will hear much of it again. :(

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I picked this game up randomly as a kid 'cuz it was $20 and I loved it. I even liked what little I played of Musashi: Samurai Legend.

Subsistence

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the Japanese version of this game in Chinatown so I could play the FFVIII demo. Good times.

I got through the game a couple times with very little knowledge of Japanese and it was a lot of fun. Learned the language a little bit and really enjoyed the voice acting.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Great game. Fuck that steam tree level though.

Don't really mind if it doesn't get a rerelease as it's easy enough to emulate. If they rerelease it, include that FF8 demo with the unique-to-demo music.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I loved this game as a kid. I can still remember popping it into my PlayStation for the first time like it was yesterday.

Oct 29, 2017

Don't really mind if it doesn't get a rerelease as it's easy enough to emulate. If they rerelease it, include that FF8 demo with the unique-to-demo music.

This right here. I love that demo theme music and have it saved as a recording on an old cassette tape. :')

Such an an amazing, laid back version of the classic FF theme. To this day, I'm surprised that Square hasn't chosen to release it as a bonus on some of their iTunes albums.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I miss this game so much.. Did that weird sequel kill the series?
Looking at VG Chartz, Brave Fencer Musashi sold 1.5 million copies worldwide and Musashi: Samurai Legend (the weird sequel) sold 0.15 million copies. So yeah...I think it's safe to say that it just didn't have enough interest to keep the series going.

Though, if they had made a game similar to the original, I'm sure fans would have been more willing to purchase the sequel.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Such a great game, was supposed to be Sony answer to Zelda.

I really want to see this game make a new age comeback.

MoeGamer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southampton, UK
Nope, Europe never got this. It was a dark time to be an RPG fan. We didn't get Xenogears, Parasite Eve or Final Fantasy Tactics either, and it wasn't until much later that we got the ports of FFIV, V and VI. We never got the PS1 version of Chrono Trigger.

Musashi was a great game. Would love to see a rerelease.

Drelkag

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the game that came with the FFVIII demo?

Edit: Yeah, it is. I remember playing it when I was kid but not really liking it too much. I think it was the controls and camera angles.

Cid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brave Fencer
Parasite Eve
Xenogears
FF7
Front Mission 3
Chrono Cross
Legend of Mana
FF8
Saga Frontier 2
and even more great games

How did Square release them all in a 3 year window?
This must be one of the most creative bursts of high quality games ever released by a developer in the industry.

It's like when you read history, about a certain golden age of science and arts and you think how the hell did they invent and write and make all that in such a short period.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing this game when it came out but for some reason never playing it. I will see if I can get a copy to play. Thanks OP.

Deleted member 279

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What an amazing game, a classic for its generation. The multiple skills, collecting NPC's, the cool figures you can buy, the upgrade system, semi-open world, good music, big bosses, and MORE. I might have to replay this game..

OP
OP

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, Europe never got this. It was a dark time to be an RPG fan. We didn't get Xenogears, Parasite Eve or Final Fantasy Tactics either, and it wasn't until much later that we got the ports of FFIV, V and VI. We never got the PS1 version of Chrono Trigger.

Dark times indeed :\ Missed out on some genre-defining JRPGs there. Thankfully, the majority of those games were eventually re-released! I'm seeing Parasite Eve never made it as a re-release either, though...such a shame!

Nozem

Oct 27, 2017
I recently replayed this (on an emulator this time though) and enjoyed it every bit as much as the first time. Lovely game.

Rymuth

Oct 26, 2017
The original Shenmue...I kid, I kid but man, such a nifty little title and the day/night cycle idea was brilliant at the time.

Also, the writing was so memorable Game got surprisingly dark by the end.

yatesl

Oct 28, 2017

Did Parasite Eve really not come out over here? I got a lot of imports so I never realised.

I only got Mushashi on PS2 because it said Squaresoft (Enix?), and I was obsessed with Final Fantasy and everything they put out.

Oct 27, 2017
Great thread. :) I LOVED this game so much back then, and have been dying for a re-visit to either the series or the game itself. I can't believe it's not on PSN. Sigh.

Might look up used copies today....

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at VG Chartz, Brave Fencer Musashi sold 1.5 million copies worldwide and Musashi: Samurai Legend (the weird sequel) sold 0.15 million copies. So yeah...I think it's safe to say that it just didn't have enough interest to keep the series going.

Though, if they had made a game similar to the original, I'm sure fans would have been more willing to purchase the sequel.

It sold 1.5 mil mostly because of the FF 8 demo

MoeGamer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southampton, UK
Did Parasite Eve really not come out over here? I got a lot of imports so I never realised.

I only got Mushashi on PS2 because it said Squaresoft (Enix?), and I was obsessed with Final Fantasy and everything they put out.
Nope. Parasite Eve 2 did, bizarrely, but the first one didn't. I imported Musashi, FFT, Xenogears and Parasite Eve so at least I got to play them at the time, but I feel for those who didn't know how to do the disc swap trick on PS1 or mod their system :)

GbaDoctor

Oct 28, 2017
Italy
I loved this game to bits. The packed action figures were great at the time, i remember being amazed on how realistic the package looked. And i miss it alot, i play it from time to time.
I never really liked the PS2 version, i would like to see a remake of the very first episode.

Cid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

We were in Europe too. We had all the not-Pal rpgs burned. I remember running with burned copies of Xenogears and Brave Fencer to a friend of mine. I got them both on the same day. We were really excited. We were 13 years old. The good old days.

Actually, Xenogears and Brave Fencer released within 11 days from each other I see now. That's why I got them together on that day of course..... mystery solved after almost 20 years right now :-D

Later I bought all the original NTSC releases. I love the cd cases of both Brave Fencer and Xenogears.

Oct 27, 2017
At the time I completed this, it was my favorite game of all time. Love collecting all the action figures, the day/night cycle, and the fusion system.

Charming as hell.

ze62qp1.gif

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
I was playing it when 9/11 happened (I was homeschooled at the time) and I wouldn't let my mom change to channel to watch what was happening until I saved. It wasn't until the second plane hit that I finally was able to find a save point save and change the channel and she was super upset and crying.

Anyway, good game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Okay yeah, that steam tree section was rage inducing. I've never actually thought to emulate it because...well Idk why lol I'm going to look into it now :)

Sillution

Oct 25, 2017
Loved this game. Replayed it a bunch of times during the PS1 days. I should replay it again now....

pwrshll

Oct 27, 2017
FFVIII demo was definitely part of the draw, but it was a great game in its own right.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Nice OP. I always wanted to play BF Musashi but never got around to it. Is it available as a PS1 Classic on PSN?

Last edited:

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a copy for my PS1 but I couldn't get into it because the graphics have aged so badly. I hope there will be remaster at some point because the game seems to be great.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
One of my favorite games as a kid. I bought the sequel and it was a huge let down.