• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Whose to blame really?

• Lowmax

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Results are only viewable after voting.

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
I can think of multitudes of reasons why it would still have a driver's seat. It could be in anticipation of future laws that require a human in the vehicle, or it's simply not something they want to take a risk with when they're driving near a crowd.
Also I think this puts an end to 'they tuk our jobs' seen many of these posts on Twitter thinking this would end it for truckers.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt this will be cheaper than rail, sorry. Why not make electric long haul freight rail, Elon? That makes more sense coupled with this for regional distribution.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No mention of full self driving at all, I expect them to stop using it as a selling point as waymo is almost there while tesla is quite behind yet.

Meh at the roadster, I wanted to see the pick up

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an electric vehicle. Brakes don't act the same at all. This is why Tesla guarantees that brake pads only need to be changed every 100,000 miles. Obviously, they've figured out a way to put even less strain on a brake pad than already exists in electric vehicles.

https://www.wired.com/story/look-ma-no-brake-youll-drive-electric-cars-with-one-pedal/

I drive an S, I know about how regenerative braking works on electric cars. On the S, you still need to use the brake to completely stop the car, as the regeneration becomes negative below a certain speed and as such there is no benefit and the car doesn't waste energy bringing you completely to a stop. Also I think the original reason this design decision was made got explained this way: They don't want you to forget how to use the brake pedal in case you need to stop suddenly. So one-pedal driving seems a bit iffy for this reason alone.

However for a truck, I guess it's possible that since trucks spend most of their time cruising on freeways the wear on brake pads is lower than on passenger cars. People can make the brake pads on their S and X last 40,000 miles so maybe 100,000 miles is within the realm of reality for a truck? I don't really know. Guess we'll see in 2019 or whenever these things start hitting the road.

Oct 31, 2017
I missed the Roadster reveal because I thought the stream was over. Damnit.

No mention of full self driving at all, I expect them to stop using it as a selling point as waymo is almost there while tesla is quite behind yet.

Meh at the roadster, I wanted to see the pick up

Is Waymo level 4 yet? Tesla is probably what? Level 2 or 3? I don't think anyone is close to Level 5.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to get a train off the tracks.
It's why I said that these trucks will supplement that for regional distribution. Nothing will ever be as efficient as metal on metal. Electric metal and metal, even more so.

An all electric truck fleet will still have tons of externalities like local pollution and increased local and interstate traffic. Those rubber rubbing on pavement does not magically go away on electric trucks.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is Waymo level 4 yet? Tesla is probably what? Level 2 or 3? I don't think anyone is close to Level 5.

It's expected for Waymo to launch their self driving service in Phoenix soon((tm), likely less that a quarter I would say), at first with safety drivers that are expected to be droped rather quickly. Looks like Cruise(GM) is second in the SD race.

I think that Tesla have yet to match the capabilities of autopilot gen 1? And with every day that passes I'm more skeptical of their ability of reaching L4/5 without lidar in the short term.

Aaron Stack

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I drive an S, I know about how regenerative braking works on electric cars. On the S, you still need to use the brake to completely stop the car, as the regeneration becomes negative below a certain speed and as such there is no benefit and the car doesn't waste energy bringing you completely to a stop. Also I think the original reason this design decision was made got explained this way: They don't want you to forget how to use the brake pedal in case you need to stop suddenly. So one-pedal driving seems a bit iffy for this reason alone.

However for a truck, I guess it's possible that since trucks spend most of their time cruising on freeways the wear on brake pads is lower than on passenger cars. People can make the brake pads on their S and X last 40,000 miles so maybe 100,000 miles is within the realm of reality for a truck? I don't really know. Guess we'll see in 2019 or whenever these things start hitting the road.

The one pedal system that Nissan is proposing has the extra features needed to allow a car to come to a complete stop without the use of a brake pedal and is much stronger as a regenerative braking system than the model s or even the roadster.

The brake is still there for people who panic, but it works just as well without since it actually will come to a complete stop.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
An all electric truck fleet will still have tons of externalities like local pollution and increased local and interstate traffic.

What sort of local pollution are you talking about? Tesla's Supercharger network is solar powered. I agree about road traffic, but combined with Musk's underground freeway system I imagine long term he's thinking about a separate underground commercial transport system. I mean that's long term and highly theoretical. But I don't see the downside to this just in terms of replacing the existing trucks which are terrible for pollution, and unsafe. Farther down the road I imagine Tesla will even offer a fully autonomous truck.

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Damn. Specs are nuts on the semi and the roadster. Where the hell are they gonna build the semi though??? 2019 is ambitious.

Oct 27, 2017
I highly doubt this will be cheaper than rail, sorry. Why not make electric long haul freight rail, Elon? That makes more sense coupled with this for regional distribution.

Because trains already use electric motors?

They use a diesel engine to generate the electricity for the motor, which combined with a constant low speed means they have something like 8 times the efficiency of a semi truck.

For scenarios where you have rapidly changing speeds (semi going between city and highway driving), electric makes some sense. But for a railroad, the efficiency is already so high due to the diesel generators working at their most efficient power band that there's just less of a need for electrification at this point in time.

Regen braking still helps considerably. Most of the kinetic energy being dissipated by a truck is when it slows down from high speed (E=0.5*mass*velocity^2) so if the regen system can capture most of that energy, you will see tremendous gains in brake life.

Even in low-speed driving, I read that a hybrid taxi can go a year without getting brake pads replaced while a regular gas powered taxi would get new brakes every month.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Holy fuck at that roadster.
That's like the dream car I had in my head 15 years ago when it seemed like electric supercars were
going to be the future. Might just be me but the design aesthetic reminds me of Lotus which has always been a favorite style too.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck at that roadster.
That's like the dream car I had in my head 15 years ago when it seemed like electric supercars were
going to be the future. Might just be me but the design aesthetic reminds me of Lotus which has always been a favorite style too.
The original Roadster literally was a Lotus with an electric motor.

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Instead of useless metric for professional purposes like acceleration they could provide us with something more usable, say, dimensions sheet for the damn thing. Or actually the damn things, since one can be had without the aerodynamics package.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 3345

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What sort of local pollution are you talking about? Tesla's Supercharger network is solar powered. I agree about road traffic, but combined with Musk's underground freeway system I imagine long term he's thinking about a separate underground commercial transport system. I mean that's long term and highly theoretical. But I don't see the downside to this just in terms of replacing the existing trucks which are terrible for pollution, and unsafe. Farther down the road I imagine Tesla will even offer a fully autonomous truck.

pretty much.

Screaming_Gremlin

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Commercial trucks are probably going to require drivers long after automation is commonplace on regular cars. Not just for safety but politics and protecting jobs too.

I don't think it is just politics, but trucking will require drivers for a while because they will be necessary once the truck arrives at a DC or store. It is one thing to automate over the road movement, but to automate trailers moving to specific dock doors or specific slots in an overcrowded drop yard will be much more complex.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I don't think it is just politics, but trucking will require drivers for a while because they will be necessary once the truck arrives at a DC or store. It is one thing to automate over the road movement, but to automate trailers moving to specific dock doors or specific slots in an overcrowded drop yard will be much more complex.
More than that, I think most companies are still going to want a person on board to protect the cargo. Even if the job ends up having more in common with being a security guard than a driver, I don't think you're going to have many trucks hauling expensive loads around driverless.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3345

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More than that, I think most companies are still going to want a person on board to protect the cargo. Even if the job ends up having more in common with being a security guard than a driver, I don't think you're going to have many trucks hauling expensive loads around driverless.

What do you think these guys are for?

OP
OP

Deleted member 3345

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course they did, they probably lowkey helped tesla:

walmart-advanced-vehicle-experience-wave-concept-truck.jpg

https://corporate.walmart.com/_news_/news-archive/2014/03/26/walmart-debuts-futuristic-truck

The prototype is the result of collaboration between Walmart and many vendors, including Peterbilt, Roush Engineering, Great Dane Trailers and Capstone Turbine. Almost every component on this vehicle is cutting edge and showcases innovations of the future that will drive increased efficiencies.

How many of those people are upset right now?

OP
OP

Deleted member 3345

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what that dig about "fake brake lifetime" thing comes from. If you can make transfer the energy back into the generators efficiently enough, you won't wear then. Literally the law of thermodynamics.

They increased their batteries, double capacity to only a half increase in volume. I don't doubt their claims.

LowMax

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know what that dig about "fake brake lifetime" thing comes from. If you can make transfer the energy back into the generators efficiently enough, you won't wear then. Literally the law of thermodynamics.

They increased their batteries, double capacity to only a half increase in volume. I don't doubt their claims.
I think that some people don't understand that generating power from the momentum of the truck will slow it down.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3345

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tesla's recent truck announcement set off a round of speculation regarding its price. Steve Levine, an Axios journalist who wrote a whole book about battery technologies, wrote a few days agothat "experts estimate that the Semi could be $300,000." MIT Technology Review speculated that the Semi would cost even more: $400,000.

So a lot of people were surprised on Thursday when Tesla posted estimated prices for its Semi product. According to the company, a low-end truck with a 300 mile range will cost around $150,000, while you'll be able to get a range of 500 miles for $180,000. A premium "Founders Series" truck will cost $200,000.

That's more than the $120,000 cost of a typical conventional truck. But Tesla says that its truck will deliver $200,000 in fuel and maintenance cost savings over the life of the vehicle. If that's true, paying an extra $30,000 to $60,000 for the truck would be a bargain.

Tesla is labeling these as "expected" prices, and the truck isn't due to launch until 2019. Elon Musk has a track record of setting overly ambitious goals and blowing through deadlines. So we shouldn't be surprised if the first deliveries slip into 2020 and a truck with 500 miles of range costs a bit more than $180,000.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/1...prices-are-much-lower-than-experts-predicted/