• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I guess I'm more "Wild West" in my thoughts on crime.

Do yourself a favor and never break into my house.
There's a pretty massive chasm between burglarising someone's house and, you know, running over tens of innocent people and killing at least 5 of them.

I'm not American, so maybe this sort of sentiment is more widespread over there, but to me this post just reads like a pathetic excuse to show off how tough you are and making a platform out of a horrific event.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
This dude deserves no place in society/the world, this is why we need the death penalty.

Why pay to feed him for decades in prison?
The state should not have the power of death over its citizens, for a number of reasons.

And you realize the cost of the appeal process with the death penalty, right?

Also, just to show some of the company were with:

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico

I will never understand these weird fantasies people have about murdering people who break into their homes, even though in rare instances it happens you are more likely to be injured or killed by your own gun than heroically murder robber.

Get a dog.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
This dude deserves no place in society/the world, this is why we need the death penalty.

Why pay to feed him for decades in prison?

We don't need the death penalty at all.

Why pay for all the appeals process by seeking the death penalty that cost more in many states than keeping people in prison for 40 years? Seeking the death penalty is not cheap.

This is just from a fiscal perspective. Morally, it's abhorrent.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This tweet collects several videos chronologically and maps them out which helps contextualize it. From this, it does seem like the driver does try to avoid people until he gets to a bottleneck where the only options for him are to either stop or go through people.

I can't figure out why someone would drive through a barricaded road to escape. Seems like the worst route to take to me.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Does this deserve the death penalty? No fucking way.

Do we need bail reform, especially cash bail? Absolutely.

Should this guy have been out of jail immediately after committing other crimes, while waiting a court date for yet more crimes? Absolutely not.

Throw him under the jail.

laikalot

May 30, 2020
Fortunately the death penalty has long been abolished in Wisconsin, so some of y'all's gross bloodlust will go unslaked.

Last edited:

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017

You should be aware that your "I'm a tough guy and will shoot you if you break into my house" attitude is more likely to kill you or a loved one than it is to protect you from harm.

Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand these weird fantasies people have about murdering people who break into their homes, even though in rare instances it happens you are more likely to be injured or killed by your own gun than heroically murder robber.

Get a dog.
Get a pitbull, it's like a gun you can give belly rubs to. Plenty of videos on the internet of home invaders fleeing when they see a pitbull barking their way.

FinalRPG

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, we should definitely put innocent people at risk at being wrongly accused and killed just to satisfy your personal blood lust.

There's no reason the death penalty couldn't be reserved for public crimes where there's no real question on who the culprit is. This one is pretty horrific and traumatizing to a lot of people, so I don't really have a problem with people wishing he got the death penalty.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Just say you're a republican and go. There are many reasons why the death penalty is inhumane, immoral, and far more expensive than life in prison.
I've never voted Republican in my life

Putting criminals back out in the street for insanely low bail prices and not prosecuting crimes is a sure fire way for us to lose upcoming elections though, just look at what happened in the most recent Seattle election.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
God this thread is a nightmare of ignorance, pointless hot takes, and knees jerk blood lust. Settle down and wait for good information and for the justice system to do its job.

Guy was out on bail and appears to have a very long list of charges against from over two decades. I'm not sure the justice system is really doing anything in this particular case.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Strawman. Literally no one is arguing crimes should not be prosecuted. You know this of course.
That's what happened with this guy though

He was arrested over a year ago and still hasn't been prosecuted

"Second-degree recklessly endangering safety – felony with use of a dangerous weapon (two counts) and possessing firearm convicted of a felony (felony charge.) The case was filed in July 2020, but it remains pending. Milwaukee County courts is dealing with a major backlog in cases."

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
He absolutely deserves the death penalty. There is no doubt. Nothing circumstantial. Plenty of evidence. Prior charges. He is a cold, heartless killer.

Has nothing to do with insatiable bloodlust.

Society is better off with this guy not existing in it. Period.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
They might need to take this guys shoelaces away along with any other means of suicide from him when he finds out what he really did on that day. I can't imagine someone looking themselves in the mirror after this kind of tragedy.
Could be the kind of guy who'd just shrug his shoulders or blame someone else.

Last edited:

FinalRPG

Oct 27, 2017
That isn't how the system works.

You are either 'guilty' or 'not guilty.' There is no third 'super duper definitely guilty' option.

I'm talking about situations where the trial is more about what the punishment should be, rather than confirming the person actually did the action (like Kyle Rittenhouse). In those cases, if prosecutors want to go for the death penalty in some crimes, I understand it.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using guns since I was 5 years old, I think we will make it somehow
No one thinks it'll happen to them before it happens, they all thought they knew what they were doing. That's kind of the point, if they weren't sure they wouldn't have handled the gun in the first place and the accident wouldn't have happened.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm talking about situations where the trial is more about what the punishment should be, rather than confirming the person actually did the action (like Kyle Rittenhouse). In those cases, if prosecutors want to go for the death penalty in some crimes, I understand it.

The mere existence of the death penalty puts innocent people at risk. This is backed up with evidence.

So it shouldn't exist.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

"Second-degree recklessly endangering safety – felony with use of a dangerous weapon (two counts) and possessing firearm convicted of a felony (felony charge.) The case was filed in July 2020, but it remains pending. Milwaukee County courts is dealing with a major backlog in cases."

so the alternative here is to hold him for an entire year plus on pending charges. you can see how that wouldn't be sustainable as a general rule, yes?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
He absolutely deserves the death penalty. There is no doubt. Nothing circumstantial. Plenty of evidence. Prior charges. He is a cold, heartless killer.

Has nothing to do with insatiable bloodlust.

Society is better off with this guy not existing in it. Period.
If he's in prison for life, he'd not be existing in society. Without dealing with the implications of the state killing people.

so the alternative here is to hold him for an entire year plus on pending charges. you can see how that wouldn't be sustainable as a general rule, yes?
Yea this is an unfortunate confluence of events. I feel like in a normal year without COVID, he gets a speedy trial and is not free for this to have happened because the time between charges and a court appearance would have been demonstrably shorter. But we did have COVID so the system was backed up.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
There are many alternatives other than holding people for over a year lol

how about increasing spending/staffing on the courts so they can move their cases through in a timely fashion…

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020

I mean, the quote you posted answers it yourself. They're facing a major backlog. While that is a problem, it is a different problem than a fundamental unwillingness to prosecute cases. Covid caused a huge mess for the courts because certain things can't be done over Zoom and you can't indefinitely detain people either.

Either way this is fucking horrible. And something no one probably expected when trying to deal with delays in the system.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While the court system 100% can be refined and reworked, I think it's okay to just focus on this guy seeming to be a pretty evil man.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
This is just... so tragically bizarre.
So after committing one crime (stabbing?) he got in the car and just blasted along the parade route for...no particular reason?
Like, was he trying to get away or go somewhere, or just decided havoc was in order?

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Putting criminals back out in the street for insanely low bail prices and not prosecuting crimes is a sure fire way for us to lose upcoming elections though, just look at what happened in the most recent Seattle election.
The media are stenographers for copaganda. The "justice" system is punitive. And clearly that's what people want.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It really is immensely stupid that people like this are so often allowed to go back out into society without any real supervision, therapy, or other means to help control their behavior or address the problems that led them to committing crimes in the first place. You're just setting them up for failure and the ways in which they end up failing predictably harm others.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Come into the thread to see how the case is going and hoping that there are no further deaths reported - walk in to find a big-balls measuring contest over who wants the death penalty the strongest for this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.