• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I dunno, why don't you ask folk who were wrongly convicted of murder who were exonerated 40, 50, 60 years later if they would prefer waiting for freedom or your "act of mercy"?
I would be more interested in knowing their thoughts about being wrongfully convicted and locked up for decades in the first place. I would also be interested in asking those people what they thought about their "advocates" essentially saying that it's all right for them to be locked up forever as long as the state is not responsible for executing them. Those would be far more interesting questions to me.

I would also be interested in what the quality of life post-prison would be for such a person, and what assistance this person has received from the same people who would say it's such a relief that the state simply incorrectly locked them up for, let's say, 45 years. My guess is that there would be a lot of words but not a lot of action.

My point is, we seem to be okay with the state (an extension of we, the people) imprisoning people for the rest of their lives, but we start to squirm at the thought of the state executing those same people. I find this strange. As someone who actually works with and is frequently around formerly incarcerated people (ranging from armed robbery to white collar crime to sex offenses--no murderers, though) and hears from their point of view quite a lot, I can't help noticing how so many people have the thought of "out of sight, out of mind" for prisoners. We lock them up and then don't want to think about them again. If they get out, we either don't want to know about their criminal past or do everything we can to get them out of our communities. Whatever their crime was, even whether they were truly guilty of it or not (many defendants simply plead guilty even when they're not), we really don't care. So I'm skeptical of people who claim to care so much about wrongful convictions, especially for murder cases that result in life sentences. I think we like to pat ourselves on the back for our high sense of morality or whatever (which many people in this very thread are doing), and that's all we do. Forgive me if I'm not impressed.

If we are speaking about deterrents, there needs to be punishment for law enforcement and such when they get this shit wrong. People shouldn't be ALLOWED to live comfortably when they screw up THAT BAD. These are innocent people's lives they are carelessly fucking with. But of course, we live in a country where that's not even something most of society, let alone those in charge, think about. The law gets a free pass and when they fuck up and an innocent person suffers decades of hell in prison only to be let out, finally, but not without decades of scars and PTSD, those responsible for their imprisonment just shrug and say, "Oops, my bad!" and go on with their happy little lives where they've spent those same decades out free with their families and loved ones, making memories and, perhaps, fucking over other innocent people along the way.
100% agree.

The entire "criminal justice system" (or whatever you want to call it) needs a thorough cleansing, from top to bottom, inside and out, backwards and forwards. But that can never happen because 1) we really don't want to muster the energy necessary to do that; and 2) too many people with too many competing points of view would be pulling in too many different directions for a from-the-ground-up overhaul to take place. So instead what will happen is that there will be constant tweaks and refinements here and there, reacting to one event and then another, over and over. And before anyone says something like, "That's what happens in America!" this is a human phenomenon and happens in all human societies.

The job of the "authorities" is to protect the ruling class. This has been true in every human civilization throughout all of human history and is in no way, shape, or form an American phenomenon. It is true that in the US, especially in certain parts of the US but broadly true throughout, there is a distinct element of the "criminal justice system" being designed to keep black men away from white women (even today we see this in the "Karen" sensation of the last year). But the job of the police being fundamentally to protect the status quo is universal and quite literally what the police are designed to do. Many countries throughout history didn't even have "police" as we understand them today but more like a standing army whose job it was to keep the ruling class in power. And to a large degree it didn't matter to these people who got caught up in their power trips, as long as they held onto power.

At any rate, this is neither the forum nor the thread to get lost in the weeds on this matter, so this is the last I'll say about it.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Has it yet been confirmed by an actual reputable source that this is actually the perp's Twitter account? Because if no, I'll say again that it's irresponsible to share unsourced screenshots of alleged tweets like this.

Not on either of the twitter accounts I found for the guy (@FlyFrmTheMOB, @flytalk1oo), mostly used them to promote his music and talk pop culture and sports stuff. I can confirm he had a video on his (now removed) Youtube had the red SUV in it. I posted it earlier in the thread.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Apparently, Wisconsin requires bail.

It doesn't seem to be the case unless I missed something?

a defendant arrested for a criminal offense is eligible for release under reasonable conditions designed to assure his or her appearance in court, protect members of the community from serious bodily harm, or prevent the intimidation of witnesses. Bail may be imposed at or after the initial appearance only upon a finding by the court that there is a reasonable basis to believe that bail is necessary to assure appearance in court. In determining whether any conditions of release are appropriate, the judge shall first consider the likelihood of the defendant appearing for trial if released on his or her own recognizance.

Bail may be imposed, not shall be imposed and there is an exception for violent crimes.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
All bail requires 100% of the money. Bail bonds people put up the whole bail. The 10% is their fee.

Judges can require personal bonds which requires the defendant to put up the whole amount themself.
Thanks. Thats what I remember reading, WI got rid of their bail bond industry long ago so it has to be 100% from defendant.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The guy sped up to hit a crowd of people deliberately, swerving to hit as many as possible. You know, like ISIS did, multiple times? What else do you call that?
Terrorism is a very specific thing. It's ideologically charged. Someone going on a rampage isn't necessarily a terrorist.

Not saying this guy is or isn't since I don't think a motive has been released yet.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

'I'm Done': Judge Gets Fed Up with 'Sovereign Citizen' Waukesha Parade Massacre Suspect Who Wants to Represent Himself

Darrell Brooks, the man charged with fatally ramming an SUV through a Waukesha, Wisconsin Christmas parade, engaged in verbal circles with a judge on Tuesday while asserting he wished to represent himself in court.
Brooks, who said he is a "sovereign citizen," got stuck on how the state of Wisconsin could even be an "injured party."

"I still go back to the question I asked," Brooks said. "I don't understand how they can represent an injured party. How can the state of Wisconsin — the corporate state of Wisconsin — be an injured party?"
The judge became clearly fed up by the time she explained out how Brooks can still make his decision and fill out his waiver.

She described his statements in court as "word games that you are employing with me."

"You can roll your eyes all you want, sir," she said.

Court was finished, then and there.

"So I'm done," Dorow said. "If need be, we will come back tomorrow but at this point, the court's in recess. We're adjourned."

"Yeah, whatever," Brooks said.

lawandcrime.com

'I'm Done': Judge Gets Fed Up with 'Sovereign Citizen' Waukesha Parade Massacre Suspect Who Wants to Represent Himself

Darrell Brooks, the man charged with fatally ramming an SUV through a Waukesha, Wisconsin Christmas parade, wants to represent himself in court.
www.youtube.com

‘We Are Done Here Today’: Judge Stands Up, Talks Over Waukesha Parade Attack Suspect

"We are done here today!" As Judge Jennifer Dorow said the court was in recess, she spoke over Waukesha parade suspect Darrell Brooks without ruling on Broo...

View: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson/status/1574844041044189184?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1574844041044189184%7Ctwgr%5E0bb55fc6b8fbcf04de915ca5476fa62b57592e60%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Flawandcrime.com%2Flive-trials%2Flive-trials-current%2Fwaukesha-parade-suspect%2Fim-done-judge-gets-fed-up-with-sovereign-citizen-waukesha-parade-massacre-suspect-who-wants-to-represent-himself%2F

View: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson/status/1574824398862680064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1574824398862680064%7Ctwgr%5E0bb55fc6b8fbcf04de915ca5476fa62b57592e60%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Flawandcrime.com%2Flive-trials%2Flive-trials-current%2Fwaukesha-parade-suspect%2Fim-done-judge-gets-fed-up-with-sovereign-citizen-waukesha-parade-massacre-suspect-who-wants-to-represent-himself%2F

View: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson/status/1574826935892381696?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1574826935892381696%7Ctwgr%5E0bb55fc6b8fbcf04de915ca5476fa62b57592e60%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Flawandcrime.com%2Flive-trials%2Flive-trials-current%2Fwaukesha-parade-suspect%2Fim-done-judge-gets-fed-up-with-sovereign-citizen-waukesha-parade-massacre-suspect-who-wants-to-represent-himself%2F

View: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson/status/1574832189799219200?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1574832189799219200%7Ctwgr%5E0bb55fc6b8fbcf04de915ca5476fa62b57592e60%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Flawandcrime.com%2Flive-trials%2Flive-trials-current%2Fwaukesha-parade-suspect%2Fim-done-judge-gets-fed-up-with-sovereign-citizen-waukesha-parade-massacre-suspect-who-wants-to-represent-himself%2F

Dec 30, 2020
I would absolutely understand, and cheer, if this judge were to leap over the bench and drive her gavel as deeply into this cretin's ass as medically feasible.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
SilentPanda, your dedication to updating threads with news all over this board is inspiring. Thank you for all you do!

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
All these morons think if they just figure out the right secret legal incantation they can wriggle out of punishment. I knew of someone who stayed in jail an extra year because whenever a judge would ask her what she pled, she'd refuse to answer and just demand a trial by jury, so back to jail she'd go for another month to think about it. A fucking year.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
All these morons think if they just figure out the right secret legal incantation they can wriggle out of punishment.
I blame Perry Mason tbh. Too many people think the law works on the exact wording and even punctuation of a law/order/etc... and it's just an insane way to think anyone would run a country

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Has these stupid sovereign citizen tactics ever worked? Like even one?

"Welp, you got me there. Case adjourned I guess, you're free to go. "

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

How could it? How can you represent yourself in a system you think is invalid? You're taking on a key role in the very system you think doesn't apply to you. It makes as much sense as shouting sovereign citizen over and over.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Fb2_OFIVQAASFmh

When he faced tax evasion charges in 2006, actor Wesley Snipes adopted a sovereign citizen line of defense by claiming to be a "non-resident alien" who should not be subject to income tax. He was eventually found guilty on three misdemeanor counts of failing to file federal income tax returns and sentenced to 36 months in prison
Winston Shrout, an influential sovereign citizen "guru" from Oregon, advocated tax resistance and redemption schemes for twenty years. During that time, he did not file any tax returns, issued hundreds of fake "Bills of exchange" for himself and others, and eventually mailed to a bank one quadrillion dollars in counterfeit securities supposedly to be honored by the Treasury. In 2018, he was sentenced to 10 years in prison on several counts of tax evasion and producing fictitious financial instruments. Several of Shrout's followers who had tested his ideas, including his daughter, were also sentenced.[114][65]

Randal Rosado, a Florida resident who subscribed to a form of sovereign citizen ideology, started in 2006 giving unlicensed legal advice against foreclosures. He eventually created a series of false legal entities, including an "International Court of Commerce", and used them to file fictitious arrest warrants, court orders and liens against public officials and lawyers, most of whom had been involved in foreclosures. Rosado was arrested in 2016. In September 2019, he was sentenced to 40 years in prison on numerous counts of unlawful retaliation against public officials and of simulating the legal process.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see this story when it was first posted so going through this thing was nuts to see. As if him being a psychopath wasn't enough he's also a psychopath who is a complete coward and hiding behind Sovereign Citizen bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.