• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
This is so absolutely tragic. In a parade of all times and places too. I'm glad they finally have a name and suspect and I hope he never gets to see freedom again.

5 people dead so far...dammit....

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I grew up in Waukesha and still have childhood friends there; always a stomach dropping moment waking up and seeing people you grew up with marking themselves as safe from something on Facebook when you haven't even heard the news yet

Oct 26, 2017
I hope this guy gets whatever maximum penalties the state can dish out.

And honestly this is why car chase scenes in movies where they're blazing through crowded streets have always disturbed me. My mind always goes to a possible situation like this with a multitude of innocent people killed or maimed.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
So he was a repeat offender out on bail… fuck. This makes me sick. Those poor kids…

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
If that list of open felonies is accurate...why on earth was he out on just $1000 bail?!

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
If that list of open felonies is accurate...why on earth was he out on just $1000 bail?!

He hasn't been found guilty of those other crimes. Heck based on the tweet posted here the other case hasn't even made it before a judge.

Wisconsin just can't catch a break. Hell.

Reminder, bail is about flight risk, not necessarily danger to the community or others which is a different metric to incarceration pending trial.

Partially true. Being a danger to community is typically a factor when assessing bail?

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Just saw some information online about the attacker that i won't share because I don't want to do that and later learn it was fake news but, if true, this will be very very bad news.

Jul 7, 2021
Cases like this make bail reform a hard case to sell.

Why?

Isn't this exactly why we want reform? He was able to just pay bail right?

Without bail and given his history a judge might have determined he was a danger and kept him in jail.

I thought bail reform was about determining if the suspect posed a threat and if so he goes to jail without any possibility of bail, otherwise he doesn't need bail he goes free or maybe with a monitor while he awaits trial.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
You haven't been paying attention to what's been going on the last year and half? Violence in the city is through the roof because repeat offenders are let out for a hundred bucks or are having their cases dismissed.

That's not why violence is through the roof. Repeat violent offenders are not being let out or having their cases dismissed in the vast majority of cities. The people let out of prisons have been low level non-violent offenders. In many states and cities, they were still supervised post release.

Why?

Without bail and given his history a judge might have determined he was a danger and kept him in jail.

I thought bail reform was about determining if the suspect posed a threat and if so he goes to jail without any possibility of bail, otherwise he doesn't need bail he goes free or maybe with a monitor while he awaits trial.

Even with bail, the judge could have decided to keep him in jail or make him only able to post a really high personal bond.

Last edited:

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You mean…worse than 5+ dead and 40+ injured?
Try telling that to people who've been misidentified and doxxed by enthusiast "detectives" in the past. Just because this is a tragedy with mass casualties doesn't give people the excuse to post identifying information that hasn't (yet?) been confirmed by major outlets.

Jaymes

Sep 18, 2021
Mental health care facilities are usually one of the first things to have their funding cut and this is then reflected in more unstable people not getting their problems sorted and then lashing out at others or having complete lapses in judgement. Why a Christmas parade in particular? I don't know. The driver may have just wanted to hurt someone, like they feel hurt themselves or they just had some sort of mental snap and thought "fuck it". The demonisation of the mentally ill also deters people from getting therapy or treatment. "Boot straps" and all that shit. That doesn't justify murdering anyone, it just explains how such situations come to be. You can still think they're a "cunt" or an "idiot" for plowing their car through people, but that doesn't change the fact that the driver is most likely fucked in the head. Either that or they're tripping on drugs, but what do I know? I'm just trying to guess why this happened.

Edit: I just realised they were escaping from a police chase and this has nothing to do with mental health and just trying to escape law enforcement. My point still stands for other "crazies". Not that I'm justifying their lashing out. No one should be mowing through crowds in a vehicle. This is just one of those tragic, wrong place and wrong time situations.

There needs to be a serious conversation about the impulse to share hot takes within hours of a critical situation. Myself, and other posters were begging people in the first few pages not to do this, but it still happened, and what we were warning about came true.

I know that what happened yesterday was upsetting but as an outside observer you have to take every early assumption with a grain of salt, worst case scenario is that you have to wait a day or two before you drop your takes.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I hope they treat this person no different than terrorist shooter because they deserve that level of punishment at the very minimum.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
There needs to be a serious conversation about the impulse to share hot takes within hours of a critical situation. Myself, and other posters were begging people in the first few pages not to do this, but it still happened, and what we were warning about came true.

I know that what happened yesterday was upsetting but as an outside observer you have to take every early assumption with a grain of salt, worst case scenario is that you have to wait a day or two before you drop your takes.
It's honestly just gross that people see a tragedy with a loss of life and their impulse is to post things like "But he feared for his life!", "Sounds about white!", "It's Wisconsin, it's probably an alcoholic!" etc. with zero information. Beyond being insensitive, it's also shows massive bias when there is zero information and clearly you just want to weaponize this tragedy for whatever opinions you want validated at the moment. Kids died, some people in this thread have loved ones there, and we have people trying to make clever Twitter hot takes. Real hot garbage.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly just gross that people see a tragedy with a loss of life and their impulse is to post things like "But he feared for his life!", "Sounds about white!", "It's Wisconsin, it's probably an alcoholic!" etc. with zero information. Beyond being insensitive, it's also shows massive bias when there is zero information and clearly you just want to weaponize this tragedy for whatever opinions you want validated at the moment. Kids died, some people in this thread have loved ones there, and we have people trying to make clever Twitter hot takes. Real hot garbage.
Yup. It's behavior that has gone on, mostly unchecked, for years on this forum as well. Glad to see some catch bans for it in this thread and hope that continues in the future.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Reminder, bail is about flight risk, not necessarily danger to the community or others which is a different metric to incarceration pending trial.

Yup, because if there is one thing universal- society and police do not think domestic violence is a danger to the community or others. People don't care who abusers beat in their homes until there is a dead body inside the home or out.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Even with bail, the judge could have decided to keep him in jail or make him only able to post a really high personal bond.

Yup. People, bail reform doesn't mean no bail. It means that bail amounts that would usually be on the 'lower' side; 10k, 20k where someone who's got some access to cash (aka, not poor) could just pay it and bounce the same way. Same way this guy could have before bail reform. A person believed to be too dangerous can be kept in jail, just like before. You had (unfortunately) stories like this when someone would commit horrific crimes after paying said bail because they had the cash.

The way you've all hovered up right wing talking points is terrifying. In the hopes of preventing this from happening, which could have still happened in the old system, you're willing to kickstart our prison industrial complex after the most lukewarm mediocre attempts at reform.

Its not the time, people are still in the fucking hospital fighting for their lives.

Last edited:

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like this is the guy:

Has the exact identity been confirmed by official sources? Whoever did this needs to pay, but I would also caution against posting unverified info, even from media sources. Innocent people with similar names can get caught up in the frenzy.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw some information online about the attacker that i won't share because I don't want to do that and later learn it was fake news but, if true, this will be very very bad news.
I don't think you are assisting right wing propaganda outlets if all you're saying is that right wing propaganda outlets are going wild with claims that the driver was a social/racial progressive (obviously they use different terminology). And no doubt they're being boosted by foreign/Russian bots on social networks, the way most of the Rittenhouse verdict tweets were.

Icebergslim

Feb 19, 2021
Why?

You're way off. Bail reform is about not locking people up for extended periods of time because they are too poor to pay a small bail. This looks like a failure of the judge to assess this guys character and refuse bail entirely.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Has the exact identity been confirmed by official sources? Whoever did this needs to pay, but I would also caution against posting unverified info, even from media sources. Innocent people with similar names can get caught up in the frenzy.
Technically no. At least not what I can find. Even the heavy.com article shared a bit back made it clear that police have not yet identified him as the perp.

Status
Not open for further replies.