• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I find it hard to believe that no one in the democratic party in Virginia didn't know about this before hand, and subsequently, some higher ups on the national scale. Can't blame people for congratulating him since they didn't know, however.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Irrelevant. If you believe Kamala is the strongest candidate the Dems have right now, this is the thing that can do the most damage to her despite the very strong likelihood she had no clue about his past.

Side note: As someone who has family in VA and who drives through generally considered progressive areas of the state with confederate flags in bountiful supply in order to visit, Northam probably CAN weather this.

Lol wut? Every single democrat was pleased for his win. That means every single democrat who saidf anything positive about Northam or his win is now ineligible or tainted? WTF?

Republicans are still literally aligned in strained lockstep behind a guy who has openly promoted White Supremacy.

A couple of Repubs have suggested King should resign. Every single Dem I've heard speak about it, except one this morning before the conference has called for him to resign. And King has been doing it for decades. We're 24 hours into Northam.

Kamala is the Dem MOST out ahead of this. She called on him to quit immediately last night. Kamala already has POSITIVES on this incident. She's better off worrying about her law and order shenanigans.

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who is it doing damage with exactly?

Independents, middle of the country, people with insane purity tests and are easily swayed, etc.

Some of you act like Republicans are the only ones who think irrationally. Guilt by association is a thing, proven frankly by a lot of folks on this thread who called out Booker for, God forbid, waiting until late evening to say something.

Why do you think Kamala got out so far ahead of this? Yes, it's the right thing to say and do, but she also stands to lose the most the longer this drags on, IMO.

Lol wut? Every single democrat was pleased for his win. That means every single democrat who saidf anything positive about Northam or his win is now ineligible or tainted? WTF?

There were *plenty* of folks in this very thread upset that it took so long for Booker to say something last night. You tell me.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Irrelevant. If you believe Kamala is the strongest candidate the Dems have right now, this is the thing that can do the most damage to her despite the very strong likelihood she had no clue about his past.

Side note: As someone who has family in VA and who drives through generally considered progressive areas of the state with confederate flags in bountiful supply in order to visit, Northam probably CAN weather this.

Explain how it's irrelevant. How is context irrelevant? SHE CALLED ON HIM TO RESIGN! Seriously you're ignoring everything to push some narrative that doesn't exist.

Independents, middle of the country, people with insane purity tests and are easily swayed, etc.

Some of you act like Republicans are the only ones who think irrationally. Guilt by association is a thing, proven frankly by a lot of folks on this thread who called out Booker for, God forbid, waiting until late evening to say something.

Why do you think Kamala got out so far ahead of this? Yes, it's the right thing to say and do, but she also stands to lose the most the longer this drags on, IMO.

A black woman stands the most to lose when some white dude has a photo of him in blackface shown to the public. Do I have this right? Speaking of irrationally...

There were *plenty* of folks in this very thread upset that it took so long for Booker to say something last night. You tell me.

Talk about irrelevancies..

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I like how he jokingly went into detail about the shoe polish incident. "I only put a little bit on, because show polish is so hard to get off". Like everyone was gonna nod and laugh and go "Yeah, good thinking — you did blackface the correct way!"

This was the part of this whole thing that disgusted me the most. And you know why? Because it gave away, plainly, that no POC were a part of crafting this "statement" of his.

Because only a group of privileged white people completely divorced from the seriousness or ramifications of racism would think that right then, and right there, was the appropriate moment for a feel-good chuckle over the cumbersomeness of using shoe polish for blackface.

I mean, my god.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because.... she endorsed the guy who had secret blackface over the guy running an actively racist campaign? The only reason this could "hurt" her is if you're in full bitch-eating-crackers mode towards her.

OP
OP
Autodidact

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
...Even though she was the first big-name contender to demand his resignation.

How would this in any way, shape, or form hurt a black woman who has called for the racist's resignation and herself has been a victim of prejudice in this country and can speak about the harm of racist practices like blackface? And as stated, she obviously had no idea about this photo in November 2017.

It takes some mental leaps to assume she or her campaign would be damaged by this.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

So you have no idea then

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The transcript of this morning is basically overwrought Breitbart fanfic about the dumbest Dmeocrat- "Anyone who's tried puytting shoe polish on their face knows it's hard to get off..."

WHAT

I can't.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you would have shown me those pictures out of context and told me they were from 1984, I wouldnt believe you

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
What's that guy's name?.........

Umm urhhh.. Michael Jackson!

Yeah, that's the ticket! Michael Jackson! I love that guy!

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The past 24 hours have been like a manual on what not to do in a PR crisis. Even if it somehow turned out he was completely innocent of this, he's too incompetent to continue to serve.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
What's that guy's name?.........

Umm urhhh.. Michael Jackson!

Yeah, that's the ticket! Michael Jackson! I love that guy!
I know he was probably super nervous and all, but that part really cracked me up.

"I'm not racist, I just really love... what's his name? The singer? Oh yeah Michael Jackson! [turns to his wife and whispers, 'that's his name right...?']"

Fucking lol

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have continued to think that a messaging and crisis PR agency called, "YOUR PEOPLE SUCK" that gives common sense, "here's what you SHOULD do" advice for social media and statements or actions, before working down to "you ignored our advice, so here's the best you can make of it but we warned you."

And basically I could staff it by assembling a room filled with random people with a halfway decent education and throwing out a few bouquets over my shoulder. Whoever catches them is probably qualified to do a better job than most politician's or celeb's teams.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
The second day of Black History Month already putting the first to shame, I see. Hopefully Sunday brings a resignation but it's probably going to be him at a press conference telling reporters "no, that's not me in the 1985 picture of a lynching holding a sign saying 'My name is Ralph Northam' I have already apologized and put this terrible sequence of events behind me and am ready to get back to work doing what is right for the people of Virginia including minorites"

Like, are we being trolled? What even is this?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Imagine if she was sick today and couldn't make it.

We would have had a sitting gov who either did blackface/kkk hood moonwalk on live tv. During black history month. After making a black shoe polish joke.
At this point it would have looked better if his wife was at the podium and he was behind looking disgruntled

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
I have continued to think that a messaging and crisis PR agency called, "YOUR PEOPLE SUCK" that gives common sense, "here's what you SHOULD do" advice for social media and statements or actions, before working down to "you ignored our advice, so here's the best you can make of it but we warned you."

And basically I could staff it by assembling a room filled with random people with a halfway decent education and throwing out a few bouquets over my shoulder. Whoever catches them is probably qualified to do a better job than most politician's or celeb's teams.
Alternatively if we are to believe the groups who criticized him during his lead up to the election, the people surrounding him are simply just very white and somehow have as big of a set of blinders as he does. Honestly who the fuck are his advisers anyway? Fire them too.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
This was the part of this whole thing that disgusted me the most. And you know why? Because it gave away, plainly, that no POC were a part of crafting this "statement" of his.

Because only a group of privileged white people completely divorced from the seriousness or ramifications of racism would think that right then, and right there, was the appropriate moment for a feel-good chuckle over the cumbersomeness of using shoe polish for blackface.

I mean, my god.
he's just trying to seem relateable to the everyday man. At the end he's going to pull out a CRT and play Lil Dick - Freaky Friday

someone should have told him watch "Fyre Fruad" so he could have hired FuckJerry to write up his responses

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The way he talked about the shoe polish thing made it seem like he'd done it multiple times. And had learned from practice not to use too much shoe polish when doing blackface. He is definitely a complete racist and a moron.

Can't believe he hasn't resigned yet.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
This press conference was on while I was in the gym and I was really upset that CNN didn't have a "Sure Jan" gif imbedded into their chryon.