• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Having stumbled across this on Reddit I thought it would generate some interest here:

Do note that I can't ever see the dev releasing this as a full game - the work involved would be huge, and Nintendo would of course stomp on it.

Last edited:

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like just an animation and not actually playable or intended to be made but neat nonetheless

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
I have a huge soft spot for GB/GBC era Zelda so this is lovely <3 Wonderful rendition of the main theme in particular

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird how classic the opening scene looks.

Quickly becomes clear how untenable the design would be by the end of the video, still cool as hell work.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The big question mark right off the bat for me is how would the Rune abilities and the many shrines which use them work in a 2D environment? They're all physics-based and heavily rely on the 3D environment to work properly. You could maybe salvage Cryosis and Stasis, but Magnesis stuff would just be gone.

Would probably require some major reworking of the puzzles and a lot of the game. Would be very interesting to see though.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The big question mark right off the bat for me is how would the Rune abilities and the many shrines which use them work in a 2D environment? They're all physics-based and heavily rely on the 3D environment to work properly. You could maybe salvage Cryosis and Stasis, but Magnesis stuff would just be gone.

Would probably require some major reworking of the puzzles and a lot of the game. Would be very interesting to see though.
Magnesis could probably be molded into just picking up/moving things and pushing/pulling ala the magnet gloves in Seasons

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's denser and has great music. If it was a finished project, I might prefer it over the original :D.

pinkurocket

Oct 26, 2017
It's just a video for the art-style, don't think they are ever planning on making a game. Pretty cool though.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Novel. That splash screen where it has the title once Link overlooks the cliff isn't quite Capcom or Awakening caliber art, though.

Those desolate musical notes in the GB are what made Link's Awakening so profoundly otherworldly.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I seriously hope we get a 2D-style Zelda sometime during the Switch lifetime. My favorite Zelda games are all Game Boy Zeldas (plus ALBW). The Oracle Zelda games are perfection.

Great video.

Jan 25, 2018
Really cool! They did a great job with the music too. I'd love to play something like this, but you'd have to overcome some pretty big design hurdles to actually make this game a reality. Having to pause the game to switch between being able to jump and being able to use a sword would get annoying pretty quickly...

ampere

Jan 20, 2018
This is extremely cool. Not sure it would even work or be fun as a full game like this, but definitely cool to demo it.

Would also be interesting to see BotW attempted in the OoT engine

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's obviously no indication of this being playable. This seems like an animation more than anything (the creator is offering the assets for Patreon supporters). This is still really cool though.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I want the opposite. Link's Awakening remade/reimagined in the Botw engine. Parts of Faron and Necluda reminded me of LA.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seems to be way more in line with what I want from a Zelda-game

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Haha was wondering if this'd be posted, I'm the guy who animated it together (my Twitter handle and username is at the end). I tried to make a playable demo in Game Maker but it was really hard to emulate the screen transitions, considering I've never really made anything in it before. So yeah, sadly it's not playable, though if any aspiring game devs wanna talk I'd be up for a collab.

I kinda went all-in thinking about how it'd work so feel free to shoot any questions my way.

With regards to this I decided only three rune abilities would be in the game, Magnesis, Stasis and Bomb. The latter is obvious, but the former two would basically be a way to move stuff, either through rudimentary physics or an extended hookshot. There'd also be much fewer shrines in my mind, considering the smaller map.

OP
OP

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Haha was wondering if this'd be posted, I'm the guy who animated it together (my Twitter handle and username is at the end). I tried to make a playable demo in Game Maker but it was really hard to emulate the screen transitions, considering I've never really made anything in it before. So yeah, sadly it's not playable, though if any aspiring game devs wanna talk I'd be up for a collab.

I kinda went all-in thinking about how it'd work so feel free to shoot any questions my way.

In that case, well done indeed! :) Also full credit to eebrozgi and mWind for the Shrine Temple Remix and Main Theme Remix music respectively:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiRiEF0_gRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SfKEBBaDbU

You do though seem to have mildly annoyed eebrozgi by not asking for permission to use his music (his remark is in the comments section) but at least you credited him.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
In that case, well done indeed! :) Also full credit to eebrozgi and mWind for the Shrine Temple Remix and Main Theme Remix music respectively:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiRiEF0_gRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SfKEBBaDbU

You do though seem to have mildly annoyed eebrozgi by not asking for permission to use his music (his remark is in the comments section) but at least you credited him.

Yeah I tried to find a way to reach out to him but I couldn't? It was a dumb move on my part to assume it'd be fine, though. We've reached out to him now, and we'll ensure the same thing doesn't happen again. Be sure to give that channel some love, since it all comes together thanks to the music.

OP
OP

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I tried to find a way to reach out to him but I couldn't? It was a dumb move on my part to assume it'd be fine, though. We've reached out to him now, and we'll ensure the same thing doesn't happen again. Be sure to give that channel some love, since it all comes together thanks to the music.

All sounds cool now, the two music channels are well worth a visit.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why didn't his sword break when he fought that one enemy?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

There are magnet things on Oracle of Seasons.but its not like this was gonna be 1:1 port anyways.

The music is beautiful!

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Oh my god I fucking just OD'd on nostalgia

That's the coolest thing ever

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
A strong feeling of nostalgia for something that I haven't technically experienced. Pretty cool.