• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 5, 2017
I was really enjoying BOTW until the first DLC came out with the Trial of the Sword. Once it came out I needed to put aside everything else in the game aside to finish the DLC and get the super powered Master Sword. However I'm not good enough at the game and haven't been able to finish the third trial and get the fully upgraded sword. No matter how much I try I fail pretty early on in the third trial. I cannot find it within myself to keep going and actually play the rest of the game because I feel like I am missing out. This is a huge bummer for me. I had even spent probably 300-400 dollars buying all the Zelda Amiibo at inflated prices due to them being out of print because I didn't want to miss any items. Anyone else ever had something like this happen to them?

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You don't need the Master Sword to be that powerful. It automatically becomes that powerful when it matters (fighting guardians and on the final dungeon).

All the final upgrade does is make it powerful against regular enemies, which is overkill.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot find it within myself to keep going and actually play the rest of the game because I feel like I am missing out
You're not missing out. The first DLC is great, but it's very hard, most people are not expected to finish it, and the reward isn't something that has a noticeable impact on the rest of the (amazing) game. Just forget about the DLC for now and try again later

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It is a mistake to focus at all on the Trials of the Sword during the main game, I think. Why would you stop the campaign to complete postgame content? Having this sword during the campaign also eliminates one of the game's main systems: combat improvisation.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You are absolutely not missing out on anything by not getting it. Your own overthinking is ruining the game for you, not the DLC.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I played well over a hundred hours before doing that DLC. You can totally skip it. It's nice to have the powered up sword, especially in Master Mode because fuck regenerating enemies, but it's really more of a novelty in the regular mode and also trivializes the game. I think that once you've played more of the game you'll also get better at figuring out how to approach the trial.

Nothing like that comes to mind. But I'm sure there have been moments where I found a certain challenge too steep to continue. Closest was probably Fume Knight in DS2, but I managed to power through eventually.

Last edited:

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
You don't need to force yourself to play everything. I tried the Trial of the Sword and by the third or fourth try I grew annoyed of the challenges so I dropped them and kept playing the rest of the game. Got more enjoyement out of finding the tons and tons of items included in the DLC than playing the Trial actually.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Nobody asked you to buy the DLC
Nobody asked you to fully upgrade the master sword
Nobody asked you to spend $300-400 on Amiibo my god

You tying your satisfaction of this game to your inability to beat the third trial and feeling cheating because you spent so much time and money is probably the weirdest take I've ever read regarding BOTW.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
You're not missing anything by not playing Trial of the Sword. Play Champions' Ballad instead.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is like saying you didn't enjoy a T-bone steak because you couldn't eat the bone.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had even spent probably 300-400 dollars buying all the Zelda Amiibo at inflated prices due to them being out of print because I didn't want to miss any items. Anyone else ever had something like this happen to them?

Nope - never spent $400 on stuff just so I wouldn't miss out on some items and then got myself so worked up about playing content out of order that I stopped playing the game. This sounds like quite a serious problem - I really do recommend taking some time to realise that you don't need to have everything to enjoy a game and try and appreciate what's there without feeling the need to collect everything, especially when that's locked behind a paywall. That sort of thinking is going to lead to some quite serious expenditure if you get caught up in the wrong games.

thebullfrog

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely none of your problems have anything to do with the totally optional DLC, and everything to do with your own OCD need to get everything in the game. The dlc isn't ruining the game for you. You are.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The game was already balanced not needing this to complete it, and I never felt like I had to have something like that before completing everything in the game except for korok seeds, so it's really curious to me why you absolutely want that right now and that you let that affect your enjoyment of the game because you can't be op from the get go

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Lol I only did the first trial and even then I felt like it was time better spent elsewhere. My master sword was pretty much just a master picaxe anyways, it was always the first weapon I would just when I needed to hit anything. The game is way to easy to even warrent a 40 power master sword, let alone a 60 power one.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I wasn't cut out for that DLC either - good news is it's optional and you can just move on to everything else!

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I was really enjoying BOTW until the first DLC came out with the Trial of the Sword. Once it came out I needed to put aside everything else in the game aside to finish the DLC and get the super powered Master Sword

But why? It's not required, finish the game first then do the DLC, I skipped the Trials a I realised the reward wasn't worth it but I did everything else and it was cool.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I can relate. I got through the sword trial, but spent too much time on that spike shrine. I thought (still think) it was stupid, but forgot it about it quickly once I moved on

Can't relate to that amiibo blowout tho

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I didn't get the DLC until it was all released and I totally forgot the Trial of the Sword even existed.
I went ahead with the main story DLC and beat the secret boss using the diamond tiara and tribe warrior suit... and lots of food. And honestly, it was pretty fun doing it that way.

I tried the trial later while I was doing the few remaining shrines and trying some minigames I missed, and it ended up making me loose interest and focus on other games, so I understand what you mean, but you can basically forget about it and keep doing other stuff. The world is too big to focus on that little challenge only.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
If a 150 hour open world do whatever the fuck you want game is ruined for you because you can't beat the marketed as hard optional challenge task, that's just on you.

How people let shit like this "ruin" games for them I will never understand.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
There a reason why:

1. It's optional
2. It's intended, or at least recommended - so it seemed to me - to be done after you finish the game

It's difficult. They don't expect people to suddenly jump to this hard area of the game that takes forever to complete (with minimal reward), get stuck and never advance.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Master Mode actively makes this game worse in almost every way. The way it ramps up difficulty is completely artificial and not at all conducive to what that game does best.

At least that one new boss fight and dungeon are kinda worth it...

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Trials of the sword is really hard. I would save it for post game if you even do it at all. I 100%ed BotW but didn't finish Trials.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
games aren't ruined by totally optional parts of it

i never did that trial

no shame

🤷‍♂️

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Is the second DLC any good?
Champion's Ballad is amazing and totally worth it. All the extra shrines and challenges ending with an amazing boss battle and you get a great reward.

Never made it to the end of the first part of the Trials in the other DLC though. It didn't ruin it for me though. I just moved on with my regular Master Sword.

I forget which one comes with all the extra chests and outfits but I love wearing the classic Link outfit.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i agree that the dlc is a nightmare. Its one of the worst dlc's ever been created. That sais, as a whole this is still one of the best games created.

swsp

Oct 27, 2017
Having just finished Trial of the Sword last night after finishing all of the divine beasts, shrines, and exploring the castle (but not engaged the final boss yet) first, completing it any earlier would have probably ruined the game for me. Having a fully-powered Master Sword all the time would probably make it too easy for me to ignore all of the other weapons and systems in the game and probably make it too boring for me. If anything you might be getting that effect already with all of the Amiibo dumping tons of Royal gear on you daily. I waited until the endgame to start using Amiibo for that reason.

I'll do Champions' Ballad next and maybe get around to beating the final boss before the end of the year :)

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
The game was plenty beatable before that was added, so.. just wait and do it later

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I thought this thread was going to be about Hero's Path or the Korok mask or something. I cant really see OP's problem

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bro I got finished with 2 of the 3 trials and realized the master sword was already OP enough and the benefit to effort of the third trial wasn't worth it.