• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
This is very much "Subnautica in Space" experience with a lot (dark) humor.

Breathedge is an ironic outer space survival adventure game. Take on the role of a simple guy called the Man who is just carrying his grandpa's ashes to a galactic funeral and suddenly finds himself in the middle of a universal conspiracy.

A massive space hearse suffers a wreck in the deep space, leaving the area filled with debris, coffins, dead passengers and yourself. Survive in this interstellar dump, uncover a global conspiracy, save the princess and don't break your fingers while tapping the keyboard as you travel around the world (keeping your display on for full immersion is advised).

www.youtube.com

ReleaseTrailer Breathedge (ENG)

This is the Breathedge release, comrades! Do not forget to inform your favorite dog, a bush in the yard, a lump of dust under the couch, and everyone who car...

Twitch category for those who want check some strims: https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Breathedge

Steam Store: https://store.steampowered.com/app/738520/Breathedge/

Dev post about release: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/738520/view/3033708656659740903

Also available on EGS, GOG, Origin and Humble.

Last edited:

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
What I played of this was pretty fun. You can see if you'll like it instantly from streams and yt videos so go ahead.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
is the progression clearer than Subnautica? Great game but it was about as clear as mud

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
is the progression clearer than Subnautica? Great game but it was about as clear as mud

What made it muddy for you?

Game is on "To get" -list for myself still, but like Subnautica this game does have same "You need to figure out what you need and how to get it" core. You harvest materiasl, food, water etc. along with figuring out how to craft better gear etc. to adventure further out.

I would definitely check out some streams if on the fence about progression, https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Breathedge

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
What made it muddy for you?

Game is on "To get" -list for myself still, but like Subnautica this game does have same "You need to figure out what you need and how to get it" core. You harvest materiasl, food, water etc. along with figuring out how to craft better gear etc. to adventure further out.

I would definitely check out some streams if on the fence about progression, https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Breathedge
I got to the first temple thingy and didn't know where to go

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Well this looks kinda cool. Always down for a single-player focused survival game, so count me in!

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I agree with Slayven but my description would be more along the lines of the Subnautica devs aren't very good at leaving breadcrumbs for users to notice and follow and naturally figure out how to do things. Some things were straight forward to figure out, but it was extremely rare that I would stumble upon something that caused lightbulb moments the same way other survival type games would.

Not to say Subnautica specifically is one of these games... but these days I feel like an increasing number of games rely on Wiki's to be the user manuals of their game instead of making them intuitive or creating their own tips/tutorials/training etc. within the games themselves.

I do think though that with survival games it can be a tricky balancing act because part of the fun itself is figuring out how to do things, but you don't want it to be too hard and the difficulty overstay it's welcome and cause users to give up.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this looked familiar...I guess I watched a Giantbomb unfinished years ago. Interesting looking at it now through the lens of having since played a ton of Subnautica.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Looks like the devs (or at least some of them) are bigoted trash. Well, it's a russian company after all.

CuBIqZ7.jpg

Don't know what it is in english in the game, but roughly translated from russian it reads like this:
«Mr (kinda) Tolerast
Race-neutral | Gender-uncertain | Half-dressed»
("tolerast" is a common derogatory term in Russia that's used by idiots to describe liberals or left-leaning people, kinda like "libtard" I'd say, but a word derived from "tolerance" and "pederasty", because big scary european gay come for russian children, you know /s)

And the comment is:
«A poster with a famous superhero, Tolerast. Anti-sexism, anti-racism and other -ism propaganda in all of its glory. I don't even know what to say, they didn't show things like this on TV when I was a kid».

That's a big fucking OOF if you ask me. "A lot of dark humor", huh?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
The humor has turned me away from this game. The kind of meme/science based nerd humor has never been funny to me and apparently the AI that accompanies you in this game has a "clever" joke for every interaction. Sounds absolutely dreadful to me.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the devs (or at least some of them) are bigoted trash. Well, it's a russian company after all.

CuBIqZ7.jpg

Don't know what it is in english in the game, but roughly translated from russian it reads like this:
«Mr (kinda) Tolerast
("tolerast" is a common derogatory term in Russia that's used by idiots to describe liberals or left-leaning people, kinda like "libtard" I'd say, but a word derived from "tolerance" and "pederasty", because big scary european gay come for russian children, you know /s)

And the comment is:
«A poster with a famous superhero, Tolerast. Anti-sexism, anti-racism and other -ism propaganda in all of its glory. I don't even know what to say, they didn't show things like this on TV when I was a kid».

Thanks for bringing this up. Off my wishlist.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It also makes fun of Anti-Vacc and Mens RIght Activists, but yeah, the game's attempt at humor is very much not going to be tolerated here. Shame it has such awful jokes in it. The game is pretty fun.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018

CuBIqZ7.jpg

«Mr (kinda) Tolerast

And the comment is:

Yikes. A pity. The game looked interesting. Not playing it now.

Elog

Oct 21, 2020
The game is filled with alt-right references - made me stop playing the game after some time during the beta/open access.

Scuttlefluff

Oct 28, 2017
Why would someone make such an awesome, well-developed looking game and then poison it with alt-right bullshit? It's such a shame.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
It used to be worse, actually...

bU6e9AQ.png

I was shown this yesterday when I was about to buy the game and just got Valheim instead.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I'm not enjoying this as much as Subnautica, although that may be more to do with the setting. Underwater is one of my favourite settings and massively under represented in games. Saying that though, ai am enjoying it.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Elajjaz started playing it the other day, and the humor gave me shitbag vibes from the very first second. That said, some posters shouldn't bash all of Russia and just talk ill about the actual developers. Let's not shame an entire country for these people's shitty views.

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
I picked up the game and put about 65 minutes into it before I saw that poster, and yikes.

From a gameplay perspective it mimics Subnautica a lot but in a more annoying fashion. Tools have low durability and have to be rebuilt a lot, at least in the early game. An example of this is the scrapper, which is an early game tool that is pretty much a club you use to beat up chunks of metal, ice, containers, and other objects. The scrapper has 35 durability and those chunks and containers require about 7-10 hits per, and even as high as 20, with each hit draining 1 durability. It takes 3 metal to make a scrapper, and a metal chunk gives you about 3, so it takes almost one third of an entire tool to make a second.

Your starting oxygen count is also super low, at about 75 seconds. This forces you to have to backtrack to your starting pod a LOT, and your movement speed inside is fairly slow, so getting to the processor to create new tools is annoyingly slow. Oxygen candles and the speed boost can extend your forays a bit, along with the first oxygen upgrade, but it still makes for a lot of back and forth where you maybe only accomplish progress towards one or two things at a time, whereas Subnautica felt like you could accomplish a lot more on each excursion and valued your time more.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Been on my wishlist awhile but I DESPISE the devs posts they make about the game. Try-hard, not funny, immature, etc. actually the devs are the reason I never bought it. Now that I've seen this poster in the thread, I'm never buying this. Fuck these devs

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
I'm refunding this game. The apparent opinion of the devs, their shitty attempts at humor, and the aggressive wasting of your time in the gameplay are a triple dose of get me the fuck out.

Oct 25, 2017
Watched a little of this on Vinny's stream, and I had a real bad feeling about it. Sad to see I was right. Fuck this.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was on the edge, it's cheap at Humble with discount, but nope after seeing some of this shit.

Gonna just buy the Crosscode DLC I think

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
Another example of the shitty humor. The whole area around that point in the game took a nosedive into offensive.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Bought this immediately when it came out in EA and held off on playing it until release after getting to the end of the initial EA launch's story. Put a little over an hour in tonight and decided to see what Era was saying about it. Even though I don't mind the progression and actually want to see what sort of stuff is coming up, I can't play it with that poster (and other things) in the game. Just disgusting.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
After 5 minutes playing the writing was not only obnoxious and awful, I was getting some heavy alt right vibes about the whole thing.

After 20 minutes I saw that poster and just shook my head, closed the game and refunded it.