• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Brendan actually passed two months back in March but a majority of people realized now after researching. He voiced a majority of the Crash Bandicoot characters during Naughty Dog's tenure.

View: https://twitter.com/crimson_mayhem_/status/1657821640183410688?s=46&t=tS065xwnquD-M8D8wrj6cA

View: https://twitter.com/jumpbuttoncb/status/1657771834283008001?s=46&t=tS065xwnquD-M8D8wrj6cA

Here's his obituary:
www.legacy.com

Brendan O'Brien Obituary (1962 - 2023) - Legacy Remembers

View Brendan James O'Brien's obituary, send flowers and sign the guestbook.

Depressing news, and 60 is pretty young too. Gave life to a character that stands the test of time. R.I.P.

Last edited:

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This man was literally the voice of my childhood, and for that I'm eternally grateful.

May he rest in peace.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Oh no...

The most important trilogy of my childhood.
Untill Halo during my teens.

But I always come back to Crash 2 once a year.

R.I.P

RUFF BEEST

Jun 10, 2022
Toronto, ON
Was so confused because I thought the record producer of the same name must've done these voices and I never realized it. (He didn't.)

RIP to a talented guy who we are losing far too young. :(

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
As mentioned in my tweet in the OP (#2), Brendan actually did the voice work for the vast majority of the original two games. He was the entire cast of the first Crash game, and his "woah" voice line outlasted his tenure in the role, continuing to be used for years past his last appearance as Crash specifically.

In recent time he had been trying to get back into the swing of acting — he had been doing more interviews, and his love for the Crash role really shone through especially.

This caught me off guard personally because we were in talks with him at my studio about a role in our game Antonblast. Our last conversation was just prior to his passing, and he seemed well. I was very much looking forward to it. We didn't know until today that he had passed.

RIP to the voice behind the game responsible for me even being in this industry.

Last edited:

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Damn, what a tragedy

He voiced so many characters in the naughty dog crash game (basically every character in the first game)

His voice was my childhood

Shame that he was interested in more voice acting but never got a chance. IIRC, he wanted to reprise his role for the remake trilogy

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
RIP.

Did he also do the soundbite of Aku Aku when you get him from a box?

May 14, 2021
Was so confused because I thought the record producer of the same name must've done these voices and I never realized it. (He didn't.)

Because of the mention of music in his obituary, I also thought it was the Pearl Jam producer. Regardless, too young. He was the voice of some of the first games I can remember playing as a very young boy.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017

I thought the same thing, that it was the guy who produced most of the Pearl Jam albums. Glad that guy's not dead but RIP to this guy.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Rest in Peace.

The original Crash games were a big part of my childhood, his "Woah" and voice work on these games will always be memorable.
Hope they don't forget to pay tribute to him in the credits of the upcoming Crash Rumble game.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
RIP. Made my childhood better. My cousin and I still throw out a random "WOAH!" occasionally.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Rest in Peace.

The original Crash games were a big part of my childhood, his "Woah" and voice work on these games will always be memorable.
Hope they don't forget to pay tribute to him in the credits of the upcoming Crash Rumble game.

They were able to do so for Mel Winkler (the original voice of Aku Aku's speaking voice until 2007, for anyone who doesn't know) via an art memorial in Crash 4's credits, so I imagine they'll try to get Brendan into Crash Team Rumble. Considering the ongoing nature of the game I can't imagine they don't at least patch something in.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Rest in piece :( his crash, while didn't have many voice lines, is the one that sticks with me the most, along with all the other characters he voiced

Spazgadget

Oct 25, 2017
Ngl this genuinely saddens me. My partner and I still utter "wwwwoah!" in the Crash voice regularly. It'll be a little more sad now.

Oct 27, 2017
Brendan's work on Crash will be forever iconic & forever appreciated. He was one of THE voices of my Childhood along with legendary VAs like Rob Paulsen, Kath Soucie, Jeff Bennett, etc etc. His contribution will stick with me for as long as I live.

R.I.P

OP
OP
SNRUB

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Rest in peace, Brendan O'Brien.

I was under the impression it was David Siller.

Also, OP, we should probably correct the thread title. Mr. O'Brien passed before his 61st birthday.
Mike Gollom confirmed that Dawson was responsible for the jingle and being that Gollom was the sound lead for Crash, I'd go with his word over Siller's.

And yeah, I'll make that change.

Last edited: