• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

the aftermath:
2183922-witcher2_assassin.png

OP
OP
theaface

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Also why not get them all in same room and thrash out a compromise?

Because, ultimately, a vote is either "meaningful" or it isn't. The government going to parliament and saying "Here's what we got, take it or crash out with nothing" isn't really giving the commons a meaningful say when one of the two outcomes is nuclear. The rebels are trying to force protections against a no deal scenario, and the Brexiteers are paranoid that it's a covert means to cancel Brexit.

Truth be told, if we get to the pivotal moment in time without any sort of deal, we SHOULD suspend Article 50, or at the very least extend it (with EU consent), but the government isn't driven by pragmatism.

Oilvomer

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dominic Grieve has said there is still time to fix things, which is pretty fucking generous considering what they just done to him...

The EU lol must be looking at this and thinking WTF!! May will literally say anything then change her mind as soon as your back is turned, she is becoming Trump 2.0

OP
OP
theaface

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
They're probably right. When the heat is on, half the rebels will fold. To have hope of them finally standing their ground is a FarCry 3 definition of insanity.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
They're probably right. When the heat is on, half the rebels will fold. To have hope of them finally standing their ground is a FarCry 3 definition of insanity.
I think part of it is that some of them are only willing to risk their necks if it seems like there's a chance of winning. If Labour hadn't been ordered to abstain on Tuesday then I think more Tory rebels may well have come out in favour of the EEA. But when they know that it's going to pass by a huge margin they figure that it's not worth risking themselves for uselessly.

Theonik

Oct 25, 2017
It is silly to believe that the Tory rebels would have taken the max risk if labour was whipped to vote for it if they basically folded with nothing to show for it as they did.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
I think part of it is that some of them are only willing to risk their necks if it seems like there's a chance of winning. If Labour hadn't been ordered to abstain on Tuesday then I think more Tory rebels may well have come out in favour of the EEA. But when they know that it's going to pass by a huge margin they figure that it's not worth risking themselves for uselessly.

The thing is, even if you take into account the maybes, the numbers just aren't there. You'd need at least twenty-five Tory MPs willing to vote against the government. I simply don't believe there is that number.

OP
OP
theaface

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, even if you take into account the maybes, the numbers just aren't there. You'd need at least twenty-five Tory MPs willing to vote against the government. I simply don't believe there is that number.

Before any rebellions, you have the following:

Conservatives + DUP = 326
Other parties excluding Sinn Fein = 317

Allowing for Labour rebels Hoey and Field you have:

With government = 328
Against government = 315

To swing the needle the other way and defeat the government, you'd only need 7 rebels:

With government = 321
Against goverment = 322

Obviously this doesn't account for abstentions/absences and the like.

Edit: The Speaker is counted in the 'Other Parties' portion and I'm not sure he votes in Parliament, so the numbers could be marginally out to account for him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
theaface

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Are there really only 2 Labour rebels though?

Depends on the subject matter. Hoey and Field are arch Brexiteers on every subject going, whereas some other Labour MPs are in favour of a meaningful vote but opposed to EEA membership, for example. On the meaningful vote which the Grieve drama has focused on this week, I'm only aware of those two who would go against the Labour benches.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Got my first, thanks for bidding for the work but we're unsure about your ability to service our Frankfurt office easily post Brexit so we're going with a European provider. Although it looks like they might subcontract the London and Edinburgh stuff to me.

Edit: and my business is pretty transactional: i.e I do work, implement it and move on but the project end date is August 2019 so there's part of that post Brexit. Annoying it's a big bit of work which would have basically been a good 6 months of work, a lot of which I can do in Edinburgh (aka not dossing in London 4 nights a week)

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Depends on the subject matter. Hoey and Field are arch Brexiteers on every subject going, whereas some other Labour MPs are in favour of a meaningful vote but opposed to EEA membership, for example. On the meaningful vote which the Grieve drama has focused on this week, I'm only aware of those two who would go against the Labour benches.

Generally speaking there's not a good reason for Labour MPs to vote against something that gives Labour MPs more power. :P

Unless you're Hoey, in which case you're not a Labour MP.

As Theaface puts above, the government does not appear to have the numbers to avoid Grieve's amendment passing if it returns to the Commons. Fortunately for them right now they don't actually need to care. They'll presumably let the entire thing stew until a few minutes prior to the vote before panicking again.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Ah. Thanks, I thought the situation was a bit worse than that

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Are there really only 2 Labour rebels though?

Hoey and Field voted with the Government back in December when the original meaningful vote amendment was passed. Every other Labour MP voted for the amendment or abstained.

This week's vote had Hoey, Field, Stringer, Mann and Campbell vote with the Government though.

OP
OP
theaface

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
From The Guardian...

Downing Street has insisted Theresa Maywill stick to her plan of giving parliament a limited meaningful vote on a final Brexit deal, as a number of rebel Conservative MPs accused the government of going back on its promises over the issue.

Limited. Meaningful. I can't anymore.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How do you even force rebels to change their mind. Do they corner them in the toilets, vote this way or else! I've never understood it. Parliament is such a joke.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
You also let the Daily Express print headlines that they know full well will lead to people sending MPs death threats if they try to obstruct hard Brexit.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
You also let the Daily Express print headlines that they know full well will lead to people sending MPs death threats if they try to obstruct hard Brexit.

Honestly, if anything, those headlines have motivated rebellious MPs, particularly those who were in the fence. If their face is already on the front of the paper and they're already being called a traitor, what incentive do they have to toe the line?

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Honestly, if anything, those headlines have motivated rebellious MPs, particularly those who were in the fence. If their face is already on the front of the paper and they're already being called a traitor, what incentive do they have to toe the line?
No longer receiving death threats sounds enticing to me...

Theonik

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a leaked list a while ago that showed some of the stuff the whips used to basically blackmail people as well?

Yep - was on here as well!

https://www.resetera.com/threads/uk-government-compiled-list-of-sexual-harassment-for-blackmailing-votes-its-leaked.2805/
Your link is malformed, take the L out of the end. Yeah there's that too. Parties tend to know what the 'bad apples' are but unless the public knows will do nothing about it because punishing them hurts the party in itself as we've recently seen in labour's case.
Some times parties will go as far as protect their MPs from the law as we saw with Thatcher in the 80s and nonce allegations. This is done to protect the party but also to enforce party loyalty. "Do as we say or we unleash the hounds"
It is a very unfortunate reality of politics.

peekaboo

Nov 4, 2017
Guys you just know the Mail, the Express and all will be running full blast with that angle.

And the BBC will report it straight-faced, and then add: "Some dispute these figures" followed by two vox pops, one using actual facts and another with a bare-faced lying Government spokesperson who will go unchallenged.

The media in the UK ladies and gentlemen.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting thread on the Brexit dividend thing:

Today Theresa May is claiming the NHS "£20 bn" boost will come from the Brexit dividend. She does not believe this. She know it to be untrue. It will be funded by borrowing and tax rises in the Autumn Why is she doing this?
Theresa May is doing this because she wants to hand Boris and brexiteers a straightforward win. A propaganda coup they can boast about and tweet about and point to. To make them happy. Well, happier than they were Why?

Answer: Because after today, it's going to get very sticky for brexiteers. I'm told in the run-up to June council, Britain is going to make lots and lots of concessions to the EU to make sure progress is made at the summit. Brexiteers are about to be asked to swallow a lot
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1008282417491337216

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
Brexit divided is obviously total horseshit. Not the best timing as Farage goes on Peston saying the UK will be in a worse position after Brexit! But then, no-one cares anyway, so the dumpster fire continues..

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
It is nonsense, but the entire government is constructed on nonsense right now: a little extra spin is no big deal. :/

This coming week will be entertaining. My suspicion is that yet more delay will be the solution May goes for vs Grieve's amendment. How that happens is up in the air.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd hope ministers use this opportunity to go for the throat at PMQ's, if they let the dividend narrative take hold it'll become an effective shield.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty blatant - they're come up with this £20bn figure, meaning they think anyone who opposes or "obstructs" Brexit bills are "anti NHS"

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017

May is playing a dangerous game, which she'll lose.
She's let the Brexiteers turn the story into, "Look, we told you we'd get 350M for the NHS and you didn't believe us because of the Remoaners and Project Fear. See, we were right after all!"
The implication will be that if they were right about the 350M, they are also tight about the rest of the Brexit cake, if it weren't for remoaners like Hammond and weaklings like May "giving in" to the EU.

The NHS will be funded by borrowing, which no-one notices at voting time (unlike tax rises). It looks like they'll avoid raising the tax allowance limits to get some of the cash, but people won't see that as a tax rise since it's just letting inflation do the taxing.

Where this is a victory is that the left (and especially the Brexiteer left in the opposition) can't complain too much, since borrowing more to fund public services is something that they generally support (especially since the NHS will still be playing catch-up after the austerity years and will still have less real-terms-funding than it had in the Blair/Brown days).
I mean, the only reason I hate this policy is that it's trying to falsely claim that Brexit has allowed it. More NHS funding is sorely needed.

Sammex

Oct 25, 2017

Of course we already knew this.

I've actually been quite pleased with the reporting of the Brexit Dividend. I caught ITV new tonight and their lead story was basically everyone calling May out on her massive lie.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the government are just expecting stagflation to make the actual costs negligible.

Good to see some journalists taking on the government over the figures. But I think the damage is done. May and Boris got their headline in the papers they care about. The people they are trying to reachr won't see the guardian counter-stories and political TV interviews.

P.s. Boris autocorrected to virus. Who said machines don't have a sense of humour.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Australia to Start Free-Trade Negotiations With EU
Australia will begin negotiations with the European Union on a free-trade agreement covering a market with 500 million people and worth $17.3 trillion, making it one of the country's biggest potential deals.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull's government will start negotiations with EU Trade Commissioner Cecilia Malmstrom in Brussels next month to secure better access for Australian agricultural products, Trade Minister Steve Ciobo said in an emailed statement. Trade on commodities including beef, sheep meat, sugar, cheese and rice are "significantly constrained" by EU tariffs.

"This is significant for Australian businesses. We're opening the door to the
world's largest markets and giving them a competitive advantage," Ciobo said. "We will now have agreements, or negotiations underway, with all of our top 10 trading partners."

The negotiations come amid a developing trade war between the U.S. and China, with President Donald Trump last week slapping duties on $50 billion of Chinese imports and drawing a swift in-kind response from Beijing. The EU is also embroiled in a difficult negotiation with the U.K. over Britain's plans to leave the European bloc.

In addition to reducing specific European tariffs on products including almonds, silicon and automotive parts, Australia wants to lock in access for services exporters in sectors including education, financial and professional services, Ciobo said.

"While countries are building barriers, we are knocking them down to create
new opportunities for Australian businesses," Ciobo said.

So much for the commonwealth.

OP
OP
theaface

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
So, so far we've got:

America - Trump, trade wars, deeply unreliable
India - Will want freedom of movement as part of any trade deal
Australia, Japan - Prioritising trade deals elsewhere

All this freedom we don't know what to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.