• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
This shitty forum software won't let me add the gif* from The Simpsons where Ned's parents go "we've tried nothing", so please imagine it as my response to May's brilliant plan.

*https://tenor.com/OHV6.gif
tenor.gif

Seems like user error to me 🤷‍♀️

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left

Britain controls their own currency which makes Brexit make even less sense than if they were part of the Euro like Greece.

Last edited:

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I mean I'd support that, totally. I think it's only fair to pit Remain against another reality, rather than a bag of fantasies.

Complete and utter bollocks, what do we know about the PM, she will do anything to keep herself in power, her agreeing to a second Ref would see 90% of her mps and the local party go ballistic, her career would be DOA within seconds...

Would she use the Labour MP's to pretend she was thinking about it to scare brexiteer MP's....absolutely

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
"Yes it was reckless politics, I'm not sure sorry is enough. But the best thing now is to deliver a Brexit..."

I like to think Tusk was channelling:
UWJAZt4.gif

No shit, all the polls pointed to a hung parliament, it was an easy giveaway, a political move to say to the Lib Dem's, here have one of our red lines, can we have one of yours...

You could tell the shock on Cameron's face the day after, nobody predicted a Tory majority, if it had the Ref would never of been on there

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
No shit, all the polls pointed to a hung parliament, it was an easy giveaway, a political move to say to the Lib Dem's, here have one of our red lines, can we have one of yours...

You could tell the shock on Cameron's face the day after, nobody predicted a Tory majority, if it had the Ref would never of been on there
I still remember watching the results coming in live and even the Tory pundits were looking at the exit polls and going "Uh...nah, we definitely didn't get a majority that must be wrong" and they looked terrified.

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I still remember watching the results coming in live and even the Tory pundits were looking at the exit polls and going "Uh...nah, we definitely didn't get a majority that must be wrong" and they looked terrified.

Yep, they were almost willing the exit poll to be wrong, their whole manifesto had been written on the premise of giving half of it away

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

That would be the dream scenario, but it seems so unlikely despite being the only logical way for May to actually get her bill through parliament.

If we did get a second referendum then I can only imagine how different the campaign for Remain would be. Instead of Cameron trying to scare people we would have most of the world begging us to stay and stop this madness.

All because Nick Clegg caved on tuition fees. It's sad to think that all these clowns got to fondle the levers of power briefly before covering themselves in shit while Ed Miliband got done in by a bacon sandwich and never even got to have a turn. Now we are stuck with an even worse set of twats.

Last edited:

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, they were almost willing the exit poll to be wrong, their whole manifesto had been written on the premise of giving half of it away
Yeah, it was a manifesto that felt like it had been written with the Lib Dems in the room with them lol. Like "Here's what we'll put in to ours that we'll back down on when we form a coalition. Here's what we want but wont put in, so you can claim it's a victory or something..."

All because Nick Clegg caved on tuition fees. It's sad to think that all these clowns got to fondle the levers of power briefly before covering themselves in shit while Ed Miliband got done in by a bacon sandwich and never even got to have a turn. Now we are stuck with an even worse set of twats.
Lets not undersell just how into the coalition the Lib Dems were. It was much more than just U-turning on some of their most popular policies. You also have people like Vince Cable who revelled in being able to finally go all out Tory without any consequences. Selling off the post office, pushing deregulisation for businesses, reducing workers rights.

If the Lib Dems had spent the coalition time publicly holding back the Tories they might still be relevant today. Instead they lost pretty much all their support from center-Left voters because they became a right wing party.

Last edited:

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Lets not undersell just how into the coalition the Lib Dems were. It was much more than just U-turning on some of their most popular policies. You also have people like Vince Cable who revelled in being able to finally go all out Tory without any consequences. Selling off the post office, pushing deregulisation for businesses, reducing workers rights.

If the Lib Dems had spent the coalition time publicly holding back the Tories they might still be relevant today. Instead they lost pretty much all their support from center-Left voters because they became a right wing party.

You're right, the current leader of the party was in charge of privatising the damn post office. The lack of trust was about more than student loans. The Kennedy 'left of New Labour' and anti-Iraq years were what drew me to the party, and the coalition pushed me away again

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Second referendum would likely split the Tory Party, especially if those were the only two options.

Labour's official policy seems to be moving in a Norway+ direction, and it'd be good to see that confirmed. It'd be even better to see that backed up with support for a second referendum if May doesn't agree to the demands.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
BBC News: Bank forecasts worst year for UK since 2009
The Bank of England expects growth this year to be the slowest since 2009 when the economy was in recession. It is forecasting growth of 1.2% this year, down from its previous forecast of 1.7% made in November. The Bank said it had seen further evidence that businesses were being cautious in the run-up to Brexit, including evidence from its own survey of firms.
Not even left yet

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_STATEMENT-19-903_en.htm

The discussion was robust but constructive. Despite the challenges, the two leaders agreed that their teams should hold talks as to whether a way through can be found that would gain the broadest possible support in the UK Parliament and respect the guidelines agreed by the European Council. The Prime Minister and the President will meet again before the end of February to take stock of these discussions.

Before the end of February... lol. How utterly pointless.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nothing has changed.

They surely must be doing something like sky won't fall on the 29th March but there is no solution, back to formula. Have a pint and wait for all this to blow over.

There is a tin foil hat part of me that thinks the government is desperate for the economy to fall over and more companies leaving so they have an excuse to stop Brexit but no matter how shit they are, it just won't topple before the 29th.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How crazy is it that you can say we are leaving next month but the deal is, I dunno but we are leaving.

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've just had a letter through the post this morning informing me that my local NHS dentist is closing on April 5th because "of difficulties experienced in recruiting dentists".

This is one hell of a coincidence in timing, as all of the dentists there are from eastern Europe. I've been going this dentist for over 10 years, never had a problem and now I'm fuming.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, it's a really strange thing that's happening. They're acting as if there is zero urgency needed to stave off no deal, but still trying to get the EU to cave with the threat of no deal, which if there was already some agreed safety net they aren't telling us about, they wouldn't be doing.

Everyone knows what the safety net is, either revoke Article 50 or the UK asks for an extension to a) hold a second referendum or b) a General Election.

Besides, the EU aren't in a rush. They'll be impacted but they can cope.

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I've just had a letter through the post this morning informing me that my local NHS dentist is closing on April 5th because "of difficulties experienced in recruiting dentists".

This is one hell of a coincidence in timing, as all of the dentists there are from eastern Europe. I've been going this dentist for over 10 years, never had a problem and now I'm fuming.

You are seeing something that is not there, it is all about funding, you would be able to find private dentists in a second, they don't want NHS patients, simple economics

And on that note I always find it weird that I pay more for a NHS filling than I do when I go to the emergency dentist

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
It is reading like Corbyn letter has caused widespread panic in Labour Party that he has killed a second Ref....so he has sent another letter to all members, promising he has not (even though he has)

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I want to wake up one day and not be in this hell anymore.
I don't want to live in a land run by lunatics anymore.

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
The first party to announce that they would revoke article 50 and we would never have to hear the words B-R-E-X-I-T again is getting my vote, and I don't care if it's the Torys they would get my vote. I want off this ride.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It is reading like Corbyn letter has caused widespread panic in Labour Party that he has killed a second Ref....so he has sent another letter to all members, promising he has not (even though he has)

I'd happily take a Norway style deal at this point, it's also probably easier to claw our way back in to the EU from something like that in future.

I think we could just squeak through on a second vote but it's dodgy and probably keeps the argument going for Farage and his job.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I'd happily take a Norway style deal at this point, it's also probably easier to claw our way back in to the EU from something like that in future.

I think we could just squeak through on a second vote but it's dodgy and probably keeps the argument going for Farage and his job.
I feel like this is where a lot of us "remainers" stand. Like at this point a Norway deal, while still worse, is absolutely more preferable than some kind of horrible hard brexit.

The question is whether it's still possible at this point, who knows. Definitely not if May is still going to run the clock down getting her deal through.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The first party to announce that they would revoke article 50 and we would never have to hear the words B-R-E-X-I-T again is getting my vote, and I don't care if it's the Torys they would get my vote. I want off this ride.

In a silly way that's what people's vote types should be shouting, want to never hear about Brexit again, remain because this shit has a decade or more to go. I genuinely think people presume once May's deal goes through or no deal, that's it over.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I feel like this is where a lot of us "remainers" stand. Like at this point a Norway deal, while still worse, is absolutely more preferable than some kind of horrible hard brexit.

The question is whether it's still possible at this point, who knows. Definitely not if May is still going to run the clock down getting her deal through.

You would still have to have freedom of movement though.. would that ever pass parliament?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I see the usual suspects in the Labour ranks are out today talking about quitting like a bunch of idiots

meanwhile

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47160188

and

It feels very much like a "we need to pretend to be vocal about this now, even though we all knew a second referendum was never happening anyway" kinda thing. Corbyn did the right thing and it has successfully push the Tory spin off of the Labour party in terms of "whose fault is it we don't have a cross party solution." It's May's fault. We all knew that (I hope, I'm not sure, this thread can be very anti-Corbyn for seemingly random reasons sometimes) but now it's clear to the point where even the BBC aren't able to spin it. The Tories aren't meeting in the middle, May refuses to back down from her red lines despite being unable to get a better deal while those are in place and even the EU are in favour of a cross party solution. It's literally one of the few things that would get the EU back to the negotiation table and would even encourage them to extend the deadline.

I want to not have a cupboard with stockpiled goods. I shouldn't even be considering this.
On the bright side, if we end up avoiding a No Deal Brexit, think how cheap your shopping will be for a while!

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the left-wing campaign group Another Europe Is Possible - led by a member of Momentum - is pushing emergency motions to Labour constituencies urging MPs to vote down any Brexit deal which Theresa May supports.
Do they not realize that it means No-Deal?
Do they hate her so much that they'd rather the country to burn?

This whole play has been orchestrated very well by May. Labour votes with her, it breaks in two. Labour rejects her, it's their fault No-Deal happens. They can't win anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.