Status
Not open for further replies.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Corbyn would absolutely go for a GE at any opportunity, regardless of what happens to Brexit. He is generally indifferent about Europe. If you read anything from Labour policy for the last 4 years, it's that Corbyn just wants Brexit to go away so he can focus on domestic issues. He's a Eurosceptic but it's somewhere below "trim the hedge" and "check I have enough muslin cloth for jam season" on his list of priorities.

I don't see a VoNC happening. The ERG know it would give Labour a massive boost and at best lead to another minority conservative government. They're way more scared of that than of a soft brexit (or even no brexit).
A VoNC means a quick election, and the Tories will waste most of that time getting a new leader and organising a manifesto/cabinet. So while Labour are in full GE campaign mode, the Tories will be literally fighting each other.

I fear the Tories would still win...

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
That is not news, that is their well-established policy. They want Brexit because like the Tories they are terrified of going against the "will of the people", especially when those people are from up north.

Also Corbyn sees the disaster that is a No-Deal Brexit as a chance to get into power.

Would Corbyn even resign if he lost another GE? I'm not sure he would.

He would, I think he would stand down before the 2022 general election, only staying on because he believes there is one coming sooner.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fear the Tories would still win...
I fear UKIP/far-right candidates would win seats. As much as I want the Tories out I don't see what it changes to have an election again while this stage of Brexit is still hanging around. 2017 was different because Brexit still felt far enough away that we could talk about other stuff but it will completely engulf any election now.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
This was meant to have been a week of national jubilation. It was meant to be the week when church bells were rung, coins struck, stamps issued and bonfires lit to send beacons of freedom from hilltop to hilltop. This was the Friday when Charles Moore's retainers were meant to be weaving through the moonlit lanes of Sussex, half blind with scrumpy, singing Brexit shanties at the tops of their voices and beating the hedgerows with staves. This was meant to be the week of Brexit. And what has happened instead?

Translated:

'This was supposed to be the week my use of myopic fantasies for personal gain would reach fruition, and you silly plebs would not mind anything because this tosh I chuck out at a moment's notice is, apparently, so innervating - what are you like, you scum? Hah! Cuh, what a lark, guess I need to do some more fucking about (in all senses, hohoho) on the fringes of things and making egregiously selfish choices under the cover of this bollocks narrative you all seem to need in your veins like a junkie. And I'm only paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a year for the privilege.'

It's parodying itself on such a scale I feel like a black hole is the only way out.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
Can't wait for TIG style Labour after Corbyn goes. Going to do wonders for the country and get that grassroots fired up!
I really hope that if there is a General Election as a result of all of this, that the LibDems put up the shortest manifesto in history - simply "We will stay in the EU". Then wait for the fireworks.
The fireworks pictured:
wkItg8k.gif

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Well, it's not even 9am on the day of iterative votes and Labour is already falling apart at the seems.

God help us.

I mean... all of this is true, even with the bungled delivery.

Labour's position is still a soft Brexit, but are against May's hard Brexit deal, and want No Deal taken off the table; but in all(?) cases there must be a final confirmatory public vote.

Last edited:

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Can't wait for TIG style Labour after Corbyn goes. Going to do wonders for the country and get that grassroots fired up!

The Tories have been in power for almost 10 years, all that matters for Labour is winning power. If Corbyn can't do that then we need to find another way, I get the feeling he is happy to be in opposition permanently if the alternative is letting centrists take control of the party again.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at option P.

"Attempt to manage no deal"

Even the Brexiteers aren't sure we can handle it now.

I can't see any of these passing. Maybe E... Very minor chance of L?

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Do we get to hear division!!!! Clear the lobby!!! that many times?

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
All that does is reinforce how ridiculous a binary "IN / OUT" referendum was, Cameron should be strung up.

This has been the problem since the start: The referendum only tells parliament that the UK should leave the EU but it gives no direction as to what the UK's future relationship should be.

It is largely because of this that we are seeing the mess that we are now because everyone interpretes the result differently and why May's redlines are a total sham.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Johnson article in the times is just trolling now isn't it, a real man of the people

Can only show the free section

This was meant to have been a week of national jubilation. It was meant to be the week when church bells were rung, coins struck, stamps issued and bonfires lit to send beacons of freedom from hilltop to hilltop. This was the Friday when Charles Moore's retainers were meant to be weaving through the moonlit lanes of Sussex, half blind with scrumpy, singing Brexit shanties at the tops of their voices and beating the hedgerows with staves. This was meant to be the week of Brexit. And what has happened instead? In one of the most protoplasmic displays of invertebracy since the Precambrian epoch, this Government has decided not to fulfil the mandate of the people. They have decided not to leave on...
That reads like one of my colleagues who thinks she is better than everyone

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
J, M, L seem good ones to me which means they won't do shit.

Leave with customs union - satisfies leavers while not killing the country
Revoke if no deal is agreed - protection against no deal
Any deal put to public vote

Oct 28, 2017
Just saw Michael Fabricant wobble on BBC about being asked why he was alright to change his mind regarding backing May's deal and he gave the old shite about "Anything to get us out of the EU".

I hate that shit.

Oct 27, 2017
so how does this work - do they still need filtering by the speaker? And MPs can vote for multiple options?

Need a majority or 'least worst' is acceptable?
As I understand it, the Speaker will choose which options will appear on the paper ballot. The plan is for MPs to vote yes/no on each option, all at once on a single ballot. Voting is at 7pm and the results should be announced later tonight.

At some point today MPs will also vote on reserving more time on Monday to further debate the options that get the most support.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
L is solid, especially when framed as "which is more important: GFA or Brexit?"
Because that's really what that situation comes down to.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
he's talking about a border in the irish sea.
if the uk wants to respect the GFA, that is pretty much the only thing possible.

Oct 28, 2017
EU wouldn't have a choice in this scenario. If anything this is the UK's best play since they can blame the EU for throwing up a border to protect the single market/customs union.

Dunno about that. Its the UK's fault that Ireland is fractured as it is in the first place. The UK can spin it all they want but some of us won't forget history.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Dunno about that. Its the UK's fault that Ireland is fractured as it is in the first place. The UK can spin it all they want but some of us won't forget history.

Yes, but the EU would be the one putting up the border. The UK has already indicated it's not interested in checking goods flowing into the country through NI (which would violate WTO rules but hey whatever, it's all uncharted territory here)

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, but the EU would be the one putting up the border. The UK has already indicated it's not interested in checking goods flowing into the country through NI (which would violate WTO rules but hey whatever, it's all uncharted territory here)

And there you go. A border is an inevitability without an agreement, and the EU has proposed something to make sure the GFA isn't violated, but if the UK doesn't accept that, then is it really the EU's fault? Its UK stubbornness over their own fuck-ups.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I think that the point Barnier is trying to make is that any option that results in a hard border will still need to have the backstop attached to even start further negotiations. Practically telling Brexiters than rejecting May's deal is not stopping that.

Status
Not open for further replies.