• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Hardcore Leavers are basically moved by the idea of the EU being at the verge of collapse (mass immigration, financial distress, political conflict leading to wars) and want the UK out before it happens so it can avoid the fallout. Being out of the EU means that plucky UK can navigate itself out of the maelstrom instead of being anchored to it.

We've seen that line of reasoning at Era's EtcetEra forum a bunch of times.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If France or Hungary says no, then yes, they can block it. I don't believe they will do so either, Brexit is a terrible idea that will hurt the EU economy, and it's in the best interest of the EU to avoid that. That's the reason an extension will be granted, no one wants a No Deal Brexit.
I've said it before, but I genuinely believe this is posturing to put additional pressure on the government and remind everyone that this is a shitshow because of the government. That's what the "as things stand" condition implies.
This is also a reminder that there's been a meaningful overhead to all the preparations and negotiations Member States have had to make, and will continue to as long as this charade goes on.

But ultimately, there's no domestic political cost for France or Hungary to further delay, because they haven't promised to deliver Brexit, while there will be one if a Member State forces a no deal by being stubborn. Brexit will damage continental economies, and might lead to a recession, so no one wants that.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Oh ok, thanks. Didn't realise she was BXP.
Sorry I was referring to Ash Sarkar. I haven't heard of her (not that I'd heard of the other one either lol).
Oh Ash Sarkar is a journalist/commentator for Novara Media and part of the left-wing, broadly Corbyn supporting left media like Owen Jones or Aaron Bastani (but she's not trash like Bastani). You'll see her pop up on current affairs shows if you watch any, but she's most famous for saying "i'm literally a communist you idiot" to Piers Morgan on Good Morning Britain when that fuckface kept on trying to paint her as loving Obama for some reason.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Oh Ash Sarkar is a journalist/commentator for Novara Media and part of the left-wing, broadly Corbyn supporting left media like Owen Jones or Aaron Bastani (but she's not trash like Bastani). You'll see her pop up on current affairs shows if you watch any, but she's most famous for saying "i'm literally a communist you idiot" to Piers Morgan on Good Morning Britain when that fuckface kept on trying to paint her as loving Obama for some reason.

Haha, ok thanks!

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017

The so-called Benn Act requires Johnson to get MPs to vote for a new Brexitdeal or agree to a no-deal exit by 19 October or if he fails to do so, ask the EU for an extension to article 50 until 31 January 2020.

Maugham said that if Johnson refuses to seek an extension, as he has repeatedly suggested he will, they would ask the court to making the extension application required by the Benn Act on the prime minister's behalf.

"The inner house of the court of session has a special and versatile jurisdiction – its nobile officium – which it can use to, in effect, per procurationem or 'pp' any letter that the prime minister refuses to send," he said. "The rule of law is not a thing to be grifted – not even by the prime minister."

Hmm not sure the EU would accept that even if the court agreed.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017

Brexit MEPs are crazy

I'd not heard of her before, so just had a Google. She's a good chum of Liam 'Disgraced former Defence Secretary' Fox and is apparently very wealthy. Another rich The Brexit Company member pretending to be a normal person on the street, what a shock.

Seems to be a lot of chatter about a second referendum happening before a GE in the media at the moment, the Yellowhammer report seems to be a catalyst for it.

Last edited:

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Oh yes, FUCK BORIS indeed.

I'm almost tempted say "do a Farage or JRG one", but having to see/hear them makes me gag, so no, thanks.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
The EU would of course accept, as it is the clearest sign of opinions starting to change. They will put some spin on it.
I don't think 27 EU leaders are going to accept a court order for an extension where the government had no say in it, especially if that order can be appealed.

But it's far fetched to imagine reaching that point anyways.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brexiteers:
DONT TELL ME I DIDNT VOTE FOR NO DEAL. THE BALLOT PAPER ASKED LEAVE OR STAY AND I CHOSE LEAVE. DOESNT MATTER HOW!!!! THERE WERE NO SPECIFICS ON THE BALLOT PAPER!!!!

Also Brexiteers:
WE ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT ACCEPT MAYS DEAL!!!!! WE CANT JUST LEAVE WILLY NILLY AND LEAVE OURSELVES WORSE OFF THAN IF WE WERE STILL IN THE EU!!! WHAT MORON WOULD DO THAT?

Brexiteers:
ALL THE POLITICIANS STATED THEY WOULD RESPECT TH3 REFERENDUM IN THE 2017 ELECTION AND THEY ABSOLUTELY MUST!!! WHY ARENT THEY STICKING TO THEIR CAMPAIGN PROMISES??? WE ARENT GETTING WHAT WAS PROMISED WHEN WE VOTED!!!!

Also Brexiteers:
WHO CARES IF LITERALLY EVERY BRXITEER AND THE OFFICIAL LEAVE CAMPAIGN SAID THINGS WOULD BE THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF HOW THEY ARE NOW? IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT THEY SAID DURING THE CAMPAIGN!!!! IT DOESNT MAYTER IF WE GET WHAT WAS PROMISED WHEN WE VOTED!!!!!

Its fucking impossible to reason with the amount of double think that goes on.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Brexiteers:
DONT TELL ME I DIDNT VOTE FOR NO DEAL. THE BALLOT PAPER ASKED LEAVE OR STAY AND I CHOSE LEAVE. DOESNT MATTER HOW!!!! THERE WERE NO SPECIFICS ON THE BALLOT PAPER!!!!

Also Brexiteers:
WE ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT ACCEPT MAYS DEAL!!!!! WE CANT JUST LEAVE WILLY NILLY AND LEAVE OURSELVES WORSE OFF THAN IF WE WERE STILL IN THE EU!!! WHAT MORON WOULD DO THAT?

Brexiteers:
ALL THE POLITICIANS STATED THEY WOULD RESPECT TH3 REFERENDUM IN THE 2017 ELECTION AND THEY ABSOLUTELY MUST!!! WHY ARENT THEY STICKING TO THEIR CAMPAIGN PROMISES??? WE ARENT GETTING WHAT WAS PROMISED WHEN WE VOTED!!!!

Also Brexiteers:
WHO CARES IF LITERALLY EVERY BRXITEER AND THE OFFICIAL LEAVE CAMPAIGN SAID THINGS WOULD BE THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF HOW THEY ARE NOW? IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT THEY SAID DURING THE CAMPAIGN!!!! IT DOESNT MAYTER IF WE GET WHAT WAS PROMISED WHEN WE VOTED!!!!!

Don't forget invoking Churchill, Dunkirk Spirit and how we ruled the world for 400 years and it was just great for everyone involved.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get why they don't just release the whole yellow hammer paper, we're not leaving with no deal, they've stated as much this past few weeks, it's not happening.

All this fawning over the content is ridiculous.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Brexiteers:

Also Brexiteers:

Brexiteers:

Also Brexiteers:

I see so much shit in the BBC comment section (I know I shouldn't read it, but I do sometimes slip up and it's bloody horrifying. It's this but unironically) that's exactly that. I want to try and make a good template that breaks down their bullshit effectively and quickly but everytime I make an attempt at it I keep thinking I'm missing something that they'll use at a second's notice.

What I really want to get good at is refuting this stuff face to face, but I get too agitated and anxious. I just completely fall apart and thus they win the argument.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
I see so much shit in the BBC comment section (I know I shouldn't read it, but I do sometimes slip up and it's bloody horrifying. It's this but unironically) that's exactly that.

The BBC comment section has improved drastically - the up/downvoting seems to favour remain now, whereas it used to be heavily leave-biased, and there's a lot more pro-remain commentary than there used to be.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get why they don't just release the whole yellow hammer paper, we're not leaving with no deal, they've stated as much this past few weeks, it's not happening.

All this fawning over the content is ridiculous.

i'm Surprised nobody is chasing downhow it seems to itself be a fabrication therefore not onlynot meeting the requirement of parliament but actively trying to mislead. Isn't that fraud?

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017

American here, I've heard people talk about how dreadful Piers Morgan is but I've never actually heard him before. My god what a shit stain, people actually watch this fucker?

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, I don't think anybody likes Piers Morgan.
I wish this was still the case but I feel the whole outrage culture has made him a popular figure for whenever something is cancelled. I mean, the man shat himself over Fireman Sam no longer being a mascot for a fire station on live TV and the people lapped it up because ITS PC GONE MAD.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
American here, I've heard people talk about how dreadful Piers Morgan is but I've never actually heard him before. My god what a shit stain, people actually watch this fucker?
There's a reason most Brits were happy to pass him off to us Yanks. I think the only person who can make Piers look reasonable in the same room with him is Alex Jones:

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OpnM8qR.jpg

Laugh if this happens

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Hardcore Leavers are basically moved by the idea of the EU being at the verge of collapse (mass immigration, financial distress, political conflict leading to wars) and want the UK out before it happens so it can avoid the fallout. Being out of the EU means that plucky UK can navigate itself out of the maelstrom instead of being anchored to it.

We've seen that line of reasoning at Era's EtcetEra forum a bunch of times.
Wonder what world these people are living in. You have actively avoid almost all serious newspapers, or shows to believe that drivel, or assume it's all some big conspiracy.
Hmm not sure the EU would accept that even if the court agreed.
Why wouldn't they accept? They want the UK to stay in the single market, it would fuck up Ireland for sure, and likely cause a recession. I assume that weighs a bit stronger than semantic arguments about who really represents the UK

Dec 4, 2017
London
Wonder what world these people are living in. You have actively avoid almost all serious newspapers, or shows to believe that drivel, or assume it's all some big conspiracy.

Why wouldn't they accept? They want the UK to stay in the single market, it would fuck up Ireland for sure, and likely cause a recession. I assume that weighs a bit stronger than semantic arguments about who really represents the UK

That view of the EU being close to collapse is basically my mum's position. I have no idea where it's come from but she lives in a small Cambridgeshire village and reads the Daily Mail, so I guess they must have been peddling some crap along those lines for a while, and it's reinforced by the locals who all get their information from similarly bullshit sources. I try and reason with her about it but it just descends into a horrific argument when she goes on about how she lived through rationing and my generation don't know real hardship etc etc etc. It's just a complete and utter URGH.

A few years ago, maybe 2013/14, sometime around when local elections were coming up, I remember driving through the area I grew up in and being shocked that around 50 percent of the houses had UKIP signs and posters up outside. My mum talks sneeringly about the 'London bubble', but there's no bubbles more insular than these small village-based communities in East Anglia.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017

Too late
Politically it wouldn't be easy to approve an extension that the government didn't request itself.
And legally it might open a can of worms the EU isn't interested in opening.

But as I said that scenario actually happening seems unlikely to me

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
Ha. DUP quaking in their bigot boots. Unification polling must have got them spooked.

Edit: Article shot down

Last edited:

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
Ha. DUP quaking in their bigot boots. Unification polling must have got them spooked.

Edit: Article shot down

So do we reckon the original report probably came via Cummings and Co, some attempt at making out like Boris is actually doing something? What the fuck did he think would happen? The DUP would just go along with it? The one thing they will never accept is diluting their connection to the UK, they know it would mean an increased chance of a united Ireland.

Status
Not open for further replies.