• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It has been proven time and time again that De Gaulle was almost always right.
If only regarding the British entry in Europe, and his opinion on the French people.

I was going to say he was actually a pretty crap european himself sometimes, screwed the parliament, empty chaired meetings for months etc.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh ... the UK Right such as Farage will just keep shitting on the EU constantly with Farage staying in power as an MEP forever with the brexit deadline forever being extended. All the while nothing gets done, and the Eu has to keep dealing with the UKs instability and constant whining. It is the same tactic Poland and Hungary's politicans have been using to stirr shit up for many years, and the EU does nothing to defend itself as a political entitiy.

Not generalizing, but in the end the UK will not do a second referrendum to fix this. If a large economic block is being dragged down by a member that wants to leave , and keeps threatening with leaving no deal and never actually does it either :

A) cancel Brexit
B) kick them out, so they can finally play ther nationalism game and freedom they want so much. ( to privatize and fuck over citizens as much as they can without oversight)
No deal will kill people

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Which other pro-EU party is there in the UK?

Assuming you're not ignorant enough to be unaware of the existence of the Lib Dems and Greens, why don't you spring your "a-ha!" point on us as to why the people that coined the slogan "Bollocks to Brexit" aren't pro-EU.

Regarding the furore over the post above, a plurality if not the majority of the English fucking despise us.

*citation needed

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming you're not ignorant enough to be unaware of the existence of the Lib Dems and Greens, why don't you spring your "a-ha!" point on us as to why the people that coined the slogan "Bollocks to Brexit" aren't pro-EU
There is a difference between anti-Brexit and pro-EU. They are both very much anti further European integration. The English have never been pro-EU.

Deleted member 835

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what percentage of which voted for it.
Seeing as the Brexit party is all white grey haired old people that are all on health pensions I doubt a lot.

It will be all the poor black/middle east peoplw that suffer the most sadly. Hardly any of us vote for Tories or Brexit but will be the most to suffer.
I will be fine, but man I know so many that won't be.

Oct 28, 2017
There is a difference between anti-Brexit and pro-EU. They are both very much anti further European integration. The English have never been pro-EU.

Weird how a vote happened in the 70's that was 67/33 in favour of the EEC, with England returning much higher percentages in favour of association with what Europe was back then than anywhere else in the UK. Its only because of years of propaganda from idiots like Boris Johnson that the "opinion" on the EU has turned.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Any sources from those parties you'd like to use to support this claim?
Like the Lib Dem's opposition to the ratification of the Lisbon Treaty? Like them sending Eurosceptics to the EU parliament. The book Britain and the European Union gives a good overview of the British parties view on the EU.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Like the Lib Dem's opposition to the ratification of the Lisbon Treaty? Like them sending Eurosceptics to the EU parliament. The book Britain and the European Union gives a good overview of the British parties view on the EU.

Lisbon Treaty ratification was what, over 10 years ago? Update your sources lol

You should read the Lib Dem manifesto and how "European values are Lib Dem values" in particular. There is nothing there opposing the EU...

And sending Eurosceptics like this guy to parliament:

"Those of us that support Europe".

Deleted member 835

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Swear people just come in here to try and troll or something. Yes there is a lot of dickheads in the UK, yes the Brexit party are scum but not all the country is trash. I say this as a Jamaican immigrant who's kin folk (other people of Jamaican descent) have been treated like shit by this country.

Hate the trash that are causing this shit, not the ones trying to fight it. If I hated entire populations cus of how some act towards me I would hate all white people.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
I think there's an element of truth to this impression that hardly anybody in the UK is actually pro-European because the remain argument is made in economic terms much more often than in cultural terms. I personally think the cultural element is very important but I'm not sure the average remainer thinks in those terms.

Old_King_Coal

Nov 1, 2017
I could speculate that younger people (especially students) would be more pro European on a cultural level. Lots of Europeans these days who come over to study and form strong friendships with brits. So the young would favour freedom of movement and such more as it's what allows their friends to be here. But that's not based in any evidence.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I could speculate that younger people (especially students) would be more pro European on a cultural level. Lots of Europeans these days who come over to study and form strong friendships with brits. So the young would favour freedom of movement and such more as it's what allows their friends to be here. But that's not based in any evidence.

I'd also say it's just... more likely for someone to have grown up knowing someone - multiple people, really - from another EU country, particularly in urban areas. Most of the other people of Polish descent that my Dad knew growing up were old men who'd escaped the rise of the Communists back home, just as my grandfather had (by way of a POW camp, but still). My experience, particularly in secondary school - attending Catholic school and all - was vastly different.

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
I think there's an element of truth to this impression that hardly anybody in the UK is actually pro-European because the remain argument is made in economic terms much more often than in cultural terms. I personally think the cultural element is very important but I'm not sure the average remainer thinks in those terms.

It is because for a lot of Remainers, interacting with europeans is not a notable thing - it is just the way it is. Arguing for the status quo is harder.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
The average remainer does but the average remainer doesn't have the advantage of controlling or even really guiding the conversation around brexit, which is why the arguments about brexit being racist have all but disappeared and been replaced by "brexit will be good for small businesses/ will be bad short-term but good long-term" economic bullshit made up by pro brexit people. Media in this country hinders our understanding of what is going on as much as it helps us

empyrean2k

Oct 27, 2017
So it was a Brexit party 'worker' who claims to be a journalist who leaked the cables for the us ambassador. Claims he has his own sources despite being 19. Brexit party using him?

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The sad thing with "Brexit will kill people" is that it's an argument that fells flat for anyone voting Tories. Even if their own grand-mother ends up dying because of NHS cuts, they will see it as unavoidable / for the greater good sacrifice.
The only thing that will topple over the Brexit dream will be everyday luxuries being taken away or exploding in price. Coffee. Gasoline. Oranges. The new high-tech gadget.
That's the capitalistic nightmare: lives are worth less than products.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
The only thing that will topple over the Brexit dream will be everyday luxuries being taken away or exploding in price. Coffee. Gasoline. Oranges. The new high-tech gadget.

I don't know, some of the older voters seem really bitter about what some younger folk have, they would probably bear the suffering to talk bollocks about rationing and making do.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The sad thing with "Brexit will kill people" is that it's an argument that fells flat for anyone voting Tories. Even if their own grand-mother ends up dying because of NHS cuts, they will see it as unavoidable / for the greater good sacrifice.

It'll happen when property values drop massively and if the state pension triple lock is removed.

Oct 27, 2017
The Daily Fail sure seems invested in propping up a new, low-rent Assange to sabotage anyone not on-board with jumping off a cliff, or anyone who points out that the cliff even exists.

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The Daily Fail sure seems invested in propping up a new, low-rent Assange to sabotage anyone not on-board with jumping off a cliff, or anyone who points out that the cliff even exists.
'but. But.. I thought things were changing since Paul Dacre had left?'

Absolute joke that many people believed that shit (James O'brien would comment how things weren't as bad since the Change).

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017

Increase retirement age and cutting pensions would be the only thing I see toppling the dream. The elderly and retired voted leave are protected from most of the impact, removing these and opinions will change. It the Fuck you I got mine mindset.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
There will be no pension cuts for people currently taking a pension or about to.

It will just be "cuts for anyone aged under 40 today's future pension".

m.i.s.

Oct 30, 2017
England, UK
google-changes-September-2013.jpg

july-23-2019-monday.png

SlightlyLive

QA
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Northern Ireland
If the tories really understood Northern Ireland and the realities of living in this United Kingdom, they wouldn't risk the Union. They would not risk people's health and security.

When King Johnson ascends the throne next week, this slow-motion car crash will speed up.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017

So May goes to Buckingham Palace to support BoJo and he probably doesn't have majority support in Parliament

Deleted member 835

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the tories really understood Northern Ireland and the realities of living in this United Kingdom, they wouldn't risk the Union. They would not risk people's health and security.

When King Johnson ascends the throne next week, this slow-motion car crash will speed up.
Nah, still no majority. It will be same shit different person in charge. We actually have Tories willing to rebel against boris so shit will be even more wild.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Man it is so hard being a pro EU black dude in UK.

Can't vote Labour cus Corbyn is so weird on EU
Can't vote Libs, as it is all about white liberal shite aka not really liberal.
Won't vote for Tories as they killed my kin and are Brexit mad. Plus they like killing poor people.

i don't think you will get another vote where brexit hasn't happened yet. well i don't trust the tory rebels to pull through at this stage.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
It'll happen when property values drop massively and if the state pension triple lock is removed.

Even then, they would still blame migrants and the EU for that happening.

Man it is so hard being a pro EU black dude in UK.

Can't vote Labour cus Corbyn is so weird on EU
Can't vote Libs, as it is all about white liberal shite aka not really liberal.
Won't vote for Tories as they killed my kin and are Brexit mad. Plus they like killing poor people.

Fortunately the shitness of FPTP means its in your best (well, least bad) interest to vote against the party you dislike the most! Definitely a sensible way to run elections

Status
Not open for further replies.