Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Is GGST the happiest fighting game ever? By the of the story mode, besides present I-No being dead,everyone is in a good place and have pretty much reached the end of their character arcs.
Sol has retired, patched things up with Asuka, and is living peacefully with Jack O, who has found her own identity instead of becoming Aria. Baiken has given up her quest for revenge. Testament and Bridget have completed their journey of self-discovery and are happy. Ky seems to be a successful king and has patched things up with Sin. I believe Faust has made peace with himself and is totally focused on being a good doctor and helping others. Zato and Millia have normal government jobs and have settled their own shit. Ramlethal has learned all about human emotions and has integrated into society. Axl is living happily with the past version of I-No.
I'm missing more but I'm less familiar with their stories.
Yeah, it's meant to be the conclusion of Sol's story, so most things would be wrapped up.

RGB

Nov 13, 2017
The teaser for Xrd Sign is still one of the few times that my mind was completely and utterly blown by what I was seeing. There was a GDC talk with a member of the art team about how they did it and it looks like they've only gotten better at it over the years.
Yeah, this was amazing seven years ago and they have only improved since.

View: https://youtu.be/yhGjCzxJV3E
Hopefully they've added tools to automate it more, this was a lot of brute force hours to pull off.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018

god-damn-rick-and-morty.gif

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
just like with testament announcement, my twitter feed has been a shining beacon of joy while also dunking on chuds

the perfect combo

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
Yeah everything is 3d, the baiken outro is probably the most impressive thing they've done
baiken-guilty-gear-strive.gif
In "The 4 Kings in Dark Souls actually have feet" type hidden content we are now burdened with knowing: there's actually a sound clip of Baiken spitting for this win pose. It's not actually used due to her samurai movie gimmick.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
This was the final push for me to finally buy Strive after being surrounded by friends active in the FGC. Everything about how Bridget's identity and growth has been handled has been so heartwarming, especially as a trans girl myself, and my twitter feed is nonstop Bridget love and queer FGC memes. Also her theme song is godlike, integrating her trans journey into a song that starts off melancholic but becomes upbeat and happy the further it gets in is so damn good. It's about time I really try again to get into fighting games with this one.

Definitely going to try Bridget cause I love her personality, but Testament is who I have my eye on, their aesthetic matches my tastes so much.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This might be what finally puts me over the edge to try out Guilty Gear. The story stuff seems to be handled fantastically and she looks like a ton of fun to play.

Is there crossplay?

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
This is getting a lot of attention on Twitter with many trans and non-binary voice actors lending support, as well as sharing their own frustrations with the voiceover industry.

View: https://twitter.com/queervoxacademy/status/1557188287772741638?s=20&t=et1tA7oB_8xlWl4MgAvgZg

This might be better as a new thread if someone wants to make it.

Edit: Looking up the actress for this incarnation of Bridget, she is pretty new to the industry so clearly they didn't require a veteran for the role.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
It's very surprising and disappointing they didn't go that extra mile especially given how they casted Testament. This is meant with no disrespect to the voice actor they chose since she did a very good job, but hopefully they go for it with a new story dlc or the next title and recast—given there's almost a zero percent chance they redub Bridget in Strive I'd imagine

SEATLiens

Aug 28, 2019
Seattle
Man was watching Max and his mod team is so passive when it comes to transphobic people. Youre pretty much allowed to go in there and misgender and push bad faith arguments with no timeouts or bans. Max himself identifies her correctly but its disappointing to see so many transphobes chat freely.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Man was watching Max and his mod team is so passive when it comes to transphobic people. Youre pretty much allowed to go in there and misgender and push bad faith arguments with no timeouts or bans. Max himself identifies her correctly but its disappointing to see so many transphobes chat freely.

Big of a channel that grew rapidly. Very hard to keep that down unless you nip it in the bud from the start. Like pulling up unending weeds now.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Leffen basically told transphobes to leave his stream. These people come out of the woodwork just to let everyone know they're not happy that other people exist. I doubt Twitch will do much considering they don't seem to care about reports, but mods need to be on point. I guess chat subbed for the Astolfo custom skin.

Last edited:

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
His chat is terrible, I remember when he watched the Bayo 3 trailer and it was just a ton of people calling Viola an ugly feminist design

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Leffen basically told transphobes to leave his stream. These people come out of the woodwork just to let everyone know they're not happy that other people exist. I doubt Twitch will do much considering they don't seem to care about reports, but mods need to be on point.
It always blows my mind to see Leffen being the most reasonable person in this kind of situation. Max really needs to do something his chat, it's almost always toxic af.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
Noticed this too, chat was just endless transphobia and intentional misgendering

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Max's mod team have stated in the chat that pronouns are to be respected and that Bridget uses her/she now. Good on them for cracking down on the dumbasses.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Leffen basically told transphobes to leave his stream. These people come out of the woodwork just to let everyone know they're not happy that other people exist. I doubt Twitch will do much considering they don't seem to care about reports, but mods need to be on point. I guess chat subbed for the Astolfo custom skin.

Wow, good shit on Leffen.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
The more I think about it, the more it doesn't sit right with me that Bridget looks exactly the same despite it being 6~7 years later in-game, even to the point of copying the height and weight in the profile wholesale. People who were...er...pining for Bridget before (including an incident with another in-game character) were pining for and sexualizing a child at the end of the day. It really seems like a copout to (on the surface level) change the cloak/jacket and call it a day. She's still fumbling while walking backward, etc. Basically hitting all the beats of her sprite set in X2, except Strive-ified. Seemingly no real maturation at all.

It reminds me how Capcom had to near be dragged kicking and screaming for Sakura to no longer be in high school. (Uh...she uses her school uniform as her fighting clothes. Yeah, yeah, that's it.)

Maybe they did de-canonize Bridget showing up in X2 to some extent, but I was pretty interested to see what an adult Bridget would be like, what adventures/experiences they would've come up with to shape her. Instead it's just...95% what we got before. I know it can definitely be argued that fans of any type would have wanted the character they remembered back. But change can be fun, too, a la Testament. Testament is frozen in time, physically, and still is clearly a changed Gear.

I hope the dev team at least goes into it in their next Backyard posting, because after 7 damn years, there'd be something visibly different. Characters should be allowed to grow up.

Just as an aside, I think people should be careful in general. As a veteran of ridiculous internet arguments for near 20 years, sometimes people really are just...ignorant. In the purest sense of the word. And sometimes to an alarming degree. You can say things like "How could someone not know something as simple as [X] in [insert current year here]," but it's very easy to project your experiences onto other people. The internet (read: the world) is vast, and everyone has their spheres of influence and bubbles that they reside in. People may not know as much as you, have read the things you have, have been privy to the info and experiences that you have, or simply may be coming from a different or sheltered upbringing. No one was born (or is now) perfectly "woke" and people have to learn things from somewhere/someone. That someone might end up being you one day.

So, while it is important to suss out and shut down bad-faith actors, I would advise against wholesale declaring anyone with [X] viewpoint to be a bad-faith actor and shooting them on first sight, or saying that anyone of [Y] minority group with [X] viewpoint must be a sockpuppet account, or to automatically say "Just asking questions, huh? Yeahhhhhhhhh, riiiiight," because...yeah, sometimes people do have questions. I've had Bad™ opinions before. We all have been there at some point in time, surely. That's what makes bad-faith actors insidious in the first place: they've poisoned the notion that anyone could be coming in good faith or is not out to just waste your time.

I've literally come across people where I was the first Black person they've interacted with. Multiply that by whatever number since I moved to Japan (I'm American). I know that no one, myself included, has time to fix everyone and all of the ill-conceived notions they may carry in their brain. But while indeed "Google is free," sometimes you have to ask yourself are you so sure that what they'd end up clicking on Google would be correct. Are you sure they're not about to end up on Prager U or something? You have to leave that little bit of space, because while you may not always have the time, there are any number of actually malignant (sometimes very well-funded) bad-faith actors chomping at the bit to "educate" people in your stead.

Just keep it in the back of your mind on your daily journey through the internet.

Chev

Mar 1, 2021
I'm loving all the unique walk cycles that we've been seeing over the past few years in fighters. I guess Menat's receiving so much attention has made developers pay a bit more time on that area.
Unconventional walk cycles have been a thing since the first Darkstalkers, Menat's got nothing go so with it. GG has a lot of them, for example in the modern era Jack-O' has a really bonkers backward walk and she predates Menat despite being a late GG addition. Like most of her animations Bridget's walk is based on the one she already had as a sprite, although of course it was elaborated upon.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
a) i think you are dramatically understating how huge of a deal it is for bridget to come out as trans for her story. her entire gimmick before strive was about her conflict between how she presents and what she feels internally and how she needed to prove people wrong since she's biologically a boy. in strive she resolves these feelings and accepts that she's the same inside as she is on the outside. her being the exact same girly girl while comfortable with the fact she is a girl is incredible development for her, and frankly far above what i ever imagined they'd pull off for bridget.

b) i am also a veteran of many 'stupid arguments' as well and what i am used to is a huge amount of disingenuous bullshit and FUD shrouded in the language of sincere 'questions'. no one is entitled to infinite patience especially if they're literally opening with 'but i thought he was a guy??'. it's a lot easier to suss out when people are actually asking a question and when they're trying to create uncertainty than you suggest. besides, bridget's name is... bridget. the entire 'joke' about her was how many people would 'mistake' her a girl. somehow in 2022 i'm pretty sure much less people would need to be 'corrected' about the truth of her gender now that it's... completely congruous with her appearance.

like the max chat example above is a pretty fucking great example. the mods mostly clamp down on it but there's a few morons who stick around trying to push the envelope of what they're allowed to say by repeatedly asking how much trouble they'd be in if they said the 'wrong' gender and how it doesn't sound 'right' because it goes against 'the character arc'. this is not good faith. it doesn't deserve to be treated like it is.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for this 😊 The thing is, I'm bad at fighters in general yet I can always wing it at some levels in 3D but 2D fighters (sans Smash) are legit terrible for me. I played a bit of Blazblue before and I can handle Street Fighter at a basic level with Ryu or Ken but as soon as there's any comboing involved my brain and hands fall apart. That I feel is always easier in 3D fighters 😅
I totally get the feeling. 3D fighters often feel better at first because of how animations flow into each other and how they're often more "mash-friendly", I'd say the gatling system in Strive kiiiindaaa emulates that by giving you strings of buttons/move that combo without having to care about timing but it's not really the same. I think the consensus is that Strive did a lot to help new players (reduced and homogenized gatling routes, big damage, dash macro) but, still it's a shame there's no f2p version of the game to at least try it out.

I personally got back "seriously" in fighting games with Strive (at the old age of 38 lol) and I think I got to an intermediatish level, so when I read people say they're bad at FG's I always think "yup so was I, if I could do it there's a good chance you can too". But there's one thing to keep in mind, some people might feel like they're good at the game (and for good reasons) but you never run out of ways of improving. What I find fun is not so much being happy about my current level of play, it's the learning process, getting my mind wrapped around rps situations, noticing that I'm doing stuff that I struggled with a few days ago but now without thinking about it, etc. It sometimes feels like working out to some extent but in a good way.

So if that sounds interesting/fun to do, I'd say go for it. Not even with Strive especially, FGs are just dope as a genre I think.

I'll end up on a quote by someone better and more articulate than me :P

View: https://twitter.com/onidavin/status/1556758225441107968

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Animation touches on this character are great. The end animation after a dash is so good.
gACjBUL.png

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Question: does Strive have much in the way of single player content (kinda like Soul Calibur does)? I'm hopeless at fighting games and can't get anything out of playing them online, but I really want to support Arc for how they've handled Bridget. Is she easy enough to play as for newcomers?

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Question: does Strive have much in the way of single player content (kinda like Soul Calibur does)? I'm hopeless at fighting games and can't get anything out of playing them online, but I really want to support Arc for how they've handled Bridget. Is she easy enough to play as for newcomers?
Regarding single player content : sadly there's not much in Strive, certainly not to the extent of Soulcalibur (I assume you're talking about the PS1 game), you got arcade/survival modes, a story mode that is an anime made with the graphical engine of the game, a mission mode that I think is kinda well made and teaches you some notions/matchups and... that's it.

Is Bridget hard to play? I'd say that depends on how far you want to push her, with the influx of players the game is seeing with Bridget's release I'd say you will find players around your level right now. I'd say you can do cool stuff with her pretty fast but there's depth to explore there with all the yoyo set-ups/mixes. It's mostly quarter circle motions, with one dp motion and one half circle motion move.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

Execution wise Bridget isn't that bad, but her damage is low so you have to be more ontop of your neutral and pressure game.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding single player content : sadly there's not much in Strive, certainly not to the extent of Soulcalibur (I assume you're talking about the PS1 game), you got arcade/survival modes, a story mode that is an anime made with the graphical engine of the game, a mission mode that I think is kinda well made and teaches you some notions/matchups and... that's it.

Is Bridget hard to play? I'd say that depends on how far you want to push her, with the influx of players the game is seeing with Bridget's release I'd say you will find players around your level right now. I'd say you can do cool stuff with her pretty fast but there's depth to explore there with all the yoyo set-ups/mixes. It's mostly quarter circle motions, with one dp motion and one half circle motion move.
Well, any of the Soul Calibur games I'd say. 6 was kinda light on single player content for me, but I got enough out of it, Tekken 7 I would say simply didn't have enough. Having a mode which has a unique story and ending for each character in the game is what I'd consider as robust enough.

Generally I'm just not good at pulling off fancy combo strings, I'm ok with characters who have simple to execute moves that can flow together in different ways, and are pretty relentless in attacking, like Lucky Chloe.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Well, any of the Soul Calibur games I'd say. 6 was kinda light on single player content for me, but I got enough out of it, Tekken 7 I would say simply didn't have enough. Having a mode which has a unique story and ending for each character in the game is what I'd consider as robust enough.

Generally I'm just not good at pulling off fancy combo strings, I'm ok with characters who have simple to execute moves that can flow together in different ways, and are pretty relentless in attacking, like Lucky Chloe.

They can be relentless, more rushdown elements than zoner I think now. The tools for learning and the execution are pretty good for new players compared to contemporaries but if you're looking for much more than Tekken in terms of single player then unfortunately I don't think its much better.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Re: Bridget's voice actor

I'm guessing they wanted a cutesy fem voice from the start, and I imagine it's probably hard to find a transfem voice actor who can do that kind of performance the way they wanted it. I mean, I think my voice passes well enough, but I absolutely could not do Bridget's voice. Testament is obviously quite a different situation because their voice is masc. I guess the more interesting option would be to have given Bridget a more masc or androgynous voice (idk how old she is, but I'm assuming she would have been through puberty) but it seems that's just not what they wanted for the character. Ultimately they knocked it out of the park with representing Bridget respectfully so I feel like I can't hold it against them that they didn't get a trans actor as well.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC Bridget is about the same age as May and Guilty Gear: The Missing Link - XX take place over the course of 2180 - 2181, with Xrd and Strive taking place in 2187.

May was 15 in TML and is now 22, so Bridget's around there too.

Bengraven