DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Recently, Larson took to her YouTube channel to reveal what happened with Terminator Genisys. Larson first explained the audition started on a bad note, as she got a flat tire. She also revealed her reaction to losing out on the part: "I got no feedback whatsoever other than just, 'No. It wasn't gonna happen.' I was always like, 'Why didn't I get that?' I felt like I did a really good job and didn't understand." However, Larson then shared her manager called months later and told her the real reason she wasn't chosen to play Sarah Connor.

According to Larson, Clarke played the beloved Terminator character instead of her because those in casting didn't think Larson was aware of how to hold a gun. Larson jokes about in her video, saying she would understand that logic if she held a gun in the audition. However, she explains that wasn't the case, so the reasoning did not make sense to her. Larson did say she's happy she didn't have to carry a gun for the film, but thought it was peculiar they believed she was incapable of doing so.

More at:
screenrant.com

Why Brie Larson Wasn’t Cast In Terminator Genisys

Why Brie Larson wasn't in Terminator Genisys.

Lock if obsolete

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
so wait
they went with emilia clarke

i love emilia clarke but out of the two of them, using the goddawful arbitary reasoning they've come up with, i'd say brie could hold a gun better (?) than emilia could

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
And Clarke could? Lol, sounds like an excuse to avoid having to tell her they wanted to piggyback off Game of Thrones hype at the time.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
emilia-clarke-terminator-genisys-sequel-pic.jpg

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
They could not have picked someone worse than Emilia Clarke for this role. Both her and Jai Courtney doomed the film before they even started filming. Just totally wrong.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That movie was a clusterfuck from start to end. Best thing to come out of it was Arnolds grizzled older Terminator look.
Easily the worst Terminator.

I feel like Larson could have been a solid Sarah Connor though.
And I hope that Emilia Clarke moves on to make some charming comedies or rom coms. I would watch the hell out of those - compared to her interviews where she's always funny and charming, she seems to be cast for movies that have her in high drama or action roles where might just not be her A game when it comes to acting. And while Last Christmas was no homerun either, she was the best part in it.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And I hope that Emilia Clarke moves on to make some charming comedies or rom coms. I would watch the hell out of those - compared to her interviews where she's always funny and charming, she seems to be cast for movies that have her in high drama or action roles where might just not be her A game when it comes to acting. And while Last Christmas was no homerun either, she was the best part in it.
That's so true

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Emilia Clarke looked way too much like a cute cherub to play Sarah Connor, just didn't buy it at all. Larson would've been better but clearly dodged a bullet.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I saw this and thought it was hilarious because of those terrible shots people have posted in here and because Brie was in Free Fire the year after lol.

source.gif

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Dark Fate was only ok, but it gave us the only decent female character in the franchise since Linda Hamilton played Sarah Connor. Mackenzie Davis was brilliantly cast.

Ishmael

Oct 27, 2017
After seeing the movie did Larson send the producers a thank you note for not casting her?
You should be making film decisions instead of the folks who brought us Terminator Genysis.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I don't know if this is entirely relevant to this story but there was a term in the industry that was (something like) "Can they carry the gun?", the implication being could the actor, taking into consideration the image they have with the public and the sorts of roles they've played in the past, play a more action orientated part and be believable?

Emilia Clarke was coming off of GOT, a HUGE genre property, and it's possible that the producers felt she would make a better transition to the gun toting, robot battler that the role required than Larson.

Then again it was Terminator Genysis (a clusterfuck of a production by all accounts) so who the fuck knows.......

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's the weirdest hangup in the world, especially considering who they chose.

Brie looks more like Linda Hamilton than Emilia does

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Emilia Clarke was a bad casting choice but Brie Larson wouldn't have been much better.

They probably cast Clarke because she was a bigger name at the time.

Last edited:

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Dodged a time traveling bullet.

I feel as if Clarke was going to get it for whatever reason. I think the moment she showed up they kind of gave it to her because she is the mother of dragons. I wouldn't be surprised if all the people who auditioned for Sarah in that film were given other strange reasons for being declined.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Brie isn't American enough. She didn't have the ability to just naturally hold a gun.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Brie Larson honestly would have played Sarah Connor better than Emilia Clark who was miscast

But nah she dodged a bullet

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i know she wasn't quite at the height of her career she's at now but... why would she have to audition? for terminator 5 of all things