Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
I miss this game so much. Please phil, i'll do anything you want. The fact that the game refuses to die should be enough reason to bring it back. Seriously, queues are still fast, even in the morning. The game seems very much alive still even know. Which begs the question why it was even abandoned. My theory is that it didnt make enough money because the game is so generous with giving out lootboxes. You're literally showered in them, i dont know why anyone would ever buy anything except for maybe a bundle just because it seems like a good deal sometimes idk. Personally i've only ever spent money on hero bundles when i started out and xp boosts. In thousands of hours.

OP
OP
Mukrab

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
It's technically not dead.

But imagine if they start bringing characters such as Master Chief.
As much as i love halo and master chief, no. I mean i'll take it over nothing, but i dont like it. But it's not like they've never disappointed with their choice of characters,

Solidus Snake

Alt account
Banned
Apr 20, 2024
It was a failure when MOBAs were at their highest point. I don't see how it would be profitable for them to spend time and money on HOTS in 2024.

And props to them for not closing the servers. At least you can still play if you love the game.

Steven1090

May 5, 2024
I just started playing again still one of my top 10 games of all time. Taking a bit to get used to as lost logins for main account and am not used to playing in silver rank. It's pure chaos at this low rank.

OP
OP
Mukrab

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
It was a failure when MOBAs were at their highest point. I don't see how it would be profitable for them to spend time and money on HOTS.
Like i said, i think it was a failure at making money, not in terms of playerbase which still seems extremely healthy. I have no doubts that it had more players than smite probably is still around that number. And smite is still being developed and we're getting smite 2

Solidus Snake

Alt account
Banned
Apr 20, 2024
Like i said, i think it was a failure at making money, not in terms of playerbase which still seems extremely healthy. I have no doubts that it had more players than smite probably is still around that number. And smite is still being developed and we're getting smite 2
It the game can't rack enough money, it's technically a failure for them, even if there's 100 million people playing the game.

Unfortunately, it's too late now to find a new economic model and motivate people to go back on a game that already "closed" once. And if they stopped updating the game, I guess that's because they realized that no matter what they do, the game won't be a success in terms of revenue.

OP
OP
Mukrab

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
I just started playing again still one of my top 10 games of all time. Taking a bit to get used to as lost logins for main account and am not used to playing in silver rank. It's pure chaos at this low rank.
Started playing again yesterday, same. Was also placed in silver after having been diamond when i stopped playing. But it's a bit demotivating to really dedicated to ranked in such a complex game when the game is no longer being developed. i dont remember a lot of things about the game, would have to learn the heroes again, the builds, the meta etc and im not sure i want to do that when the game has been left to die

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Failure is understating it. A dev here told us long ago that his buddies shared more people were working on it than League and that it was hemorrhaging money.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Failure is understating it. A dev here told us long ago that his buddies shared more people were working on it than League and that it was hemorrhaging money.
That sounds absolutely wild, but if that was the case it would make sense that they couldn't make any money. League has to have been at least an order of magnitude more popular even at the peak of hots.

OP
OP
Mukrab

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
I believe it, for the longest time they were releasing a hero per month. And everyone who played regularly just got it for free with gold.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I appreciate you neither properly capitalizing the acronym nor actually naming the game.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
An amazingly unique MOBA game still play it from time to time. Unfortunately Blizzard only cares about making the most amount of money so they discarded it. Same thing happened with Diablo 3 and the remaster of Diablo 2.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
HĂ©roes de la Tormenta is my favorite MOBA of all time, and I wish it could comeback with vengeance.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
what's wrong/missing with SC remastered?

anyways, they should put HoTS, SCR, D2R and SC2 on steam. do it you cowards

They gave up supporting it super quickly, the team who were left behind working on it (3 people) all either left blizzard or were moved teams and there's bare-bare bones support these days. The last thing they did was update the map pool but it took them forever to do it.

There's features the community were requesting (UI parity between replay and observing) and other things for years that they never implemented and the SD graphics option is still somewhat broken, which while I don't see that as a major issue it's still something they should fix. The old 1.16 version looks better than it does now still which doesn't make any sense.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
With the way the title is capitalized I expected something very different clicking in this thread lol

But while they could probably kinda rework the game, maybe release it on more platforms, I don't think it's really viable. But they did get back on working on the game somehow so I guess they're still testing the waters.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
Would love to see heroes get a resurgence but don't see it happening.

Played a few rounds for the first time in months the other night and was surprised how fast queues were.

Steven1090

May 5, 2024
Started playing again yesterday, same. Was also placed in silver after having been diamond when i stopped playing. But it's a bit demotivating to really dedicated to ranked in such a complex game when the game is no longer being developed. i dont remember a lot of things about the game, would have to learn the heroes again, the builds, the meta etc and im not sure i want to do that when the game has been left to die
Yeah i got to rank 1 in preseason then diamond in all the rest so my MMR was around 2900 but i didnt play for years at a time. I'd love it to come back with some Microsoft characters. General Raam as a tank controlling the Kryll would be sick. I've tried to get back into pretty much every MOBA but i find them a complete slog where as HOTS is fun no matter how long it's been.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
you can play hots right now

people talk about hots like it's marvel heroes or something.

Acu

Jan 2, 2018
It was nice when it was on its prime, recieving heroes, maps, updates and gamemodes from time to time. It has wacky hero mechanics that go places that any other MOBA didn't ever dared to go.
The map mechanics pose a fun variation from basic "get jungle posts, get boss, push lanes and win".

Then again, it pushed boundaries that way too hard for competitive balancing, so the tryhards never found quite good. Also, the level was shared between the team members and that sole decision proved to create less "1 man army" moments. The individual contribution seemed to dilute and one person sweating their pants off could maybe tip their team a little more, but if the team wasn't really that balanced, then the whole match was sentenced from the start.

Those were, basically, the reasons that stopped the mainstream MOBA people from playing HotS.

Personally, I loved it and I play a few matches here and there, specially in the summer.

The only thing I didn't like is when they wanted to push a sort of "narrative" and introduced a couple of in-universe characters. That moment, I think, was the pivotal point where the gem devs didn't know what to do with their own game, I'm afraid, and it showed.

OP
OP
Mukrab

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
Yeah i got to rank 1 in preseason then diamond in all the rest so my MMR was around 2900 but i didnt play for years at a time. I'd love it to come back with some Microsoft characters. General Raam as a tank controlling the Kryll would be sick. I've tried to get back into pretty much every MOBA but i find them a complete slog where as HOTS is fun no matter how long it's been.
I really dont want Microsoft characters personally. There are so many characters in the existing universes that i would want. I hated the fact that they started creating original characters with so many cool characters missing. And orphea is my favorite character in the game gameplaywise, but still, she shouldnt exist. we never got a non meme tauren, or an undead undead. and where is azshara?

Tommy Showbiz

Jul 20, 2022
It felt like there was some momentum in either bringing an update to the game or bringing it to Steam pretty recently

I wouldn't be surprised if that got scrapped due to the MS layoffs though

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
They should put it on consoles and Steam, at the very least. There's still a dedicated playerbase that could see a bit of growth from that.

Steven1090

May 5, 2024
I really dont want Microsoft characters personally. There are so many characters in the existing universes that i would want. I hated the fact that they started creating original characters with so many cool characters missing. And orphea is my favorite character in the game gameplaywise, but still, she shouldnt exist. we never got a non meme tauren, or an undead undead. and where is azshara?
I'd probably feel the same way but I have no attachment with anything blizzard outside of diablo so I wouldn't know what characters they could implement. Although hogger is fun enough that I want to make a WoW account just to see him in game.

Wrench

Jan 19, 2022
I kinda want to revisit Hots, but feel like I would get completely destroyed by the remaining players, lol.

OP
OP
Mukrab

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
I'd probably feel the same way but I have no attachment with anything blizzard outside of diablo so I wouldn't know what characters they could implement. Although hogger is fun enough that I want to make a WoW account just to see him in game.
Hogger is another meme character but im completely fine with it because he is a gnoll and we dont have a gnoll. But having the only tauren be a meme and not have cairne or baine be in the game is ridiculous.

OP
OP
Mukrab

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
I kinda want to revisit Hots, but feel like I would get completely destroyed by the remaining players, lol.
Honestly no. It feels like the good players are the ones gone. Most people i've seen play it now are less than level 100. Dont think i ever saw anyone be over 200. And there i am in the lobby in the thousands lol. I was honestly surpried about how many people i saw not only low level but extremely low level in almost every game. Like below level 30

Wrench

Jan 19, 2022
Honestly no. It feels like the good players are the ones gone. Most people i've seen play it now are less than level 100. Dont think i ever saw anyone be over 200. And there i am in the lobby in the thousands lol. I was honestly surpried about how many people i saw not only low level but extremely low level in almost every game. Like below level 30

That's good to hear! Might redownload and play some. Only moba I ever played or cared for. Hots still sits fondly in my memories.