• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so is anyone here familiar with Wiltshire and might have recommendations on where to live? Because I just got offered a job at freaking Stonehenge.

Edit: To clarify I live in Reading right now, so somewhere like Swindon wouldn't make the commute much shorter.

Last edited:

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
"Visitor Attendant - Historic Property Steward"

By no means a curatorial position and mode of a general handyman role, covering everything from tills to guided stores to the security of the monument itself. But it's the first job I've gotten that is directly relevant to my career aspirations - in that it's part of the heritage sector - and well, it's freaking Stonehenge. I'm buzzing.

Musha_Soturi

Oct 26, 2017
So have you got to stop naked loonies climbing over it on the solstice? Congrats on the job though, sorry I can't help with where to live in Wiltshire.

schatuk

Oct 25, 2017
Friend lives in Trowbridge, which was nice enough I guess

Not that much closer than Swindon though. Maybe 25 miles rather than 35.

All nerve agent jokes aside, Salisbury is the closest decent sized town and is very nice. Not sure about housing costs though, tbh. Andover is a little further out and a bit smaller but still nice enough.

Oct 25, 2017
Outside Perth Scotland
I took mushrooms with some witches and a shaman (Julie from accounts during weekdays) at Stonehenge once. It sounded like it was going to a dead interesting weekend but it was all a bit embarrassing really. The shaman (Julie) moon danced about waving smelly burning twigs while one of the pagans complained about her phone reception. Then it got cold so we went back to some grotty flat and smoked weed, talked about how magical trees are until the mushies wore off and drove home. Probably should have gone to a satanic speed party instead. I bet they don't do aura readings

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Well I did look at one flat in Salisbury that had ground floor access at a decent-ish price, but that fell through - landlord wants a 12 month tenancy at least, my contract is until October. Largest place I'm looking to live now is Durrington, and after that, Ludgershall. Certainly not the most convenient places in themselves, but pretty close to where I'll be working. Current alternatives are mostly villages, including a part-furnished bungalow in West Lavington.

What I am learning from this is that apartment hunting is kind of a mess, but also that this country really does put the fantasy genre to shame in terms of odd names for settlements strewn all over the place.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with just renting in a village? Do you have to be in a large town?

Well, I am considering the West Lavington option, and am waiting on a response to an inquiry about a place in Shrewton. While larger towns are a preference - ability to just walk to the various services and all, plus I grew up in the likes of Reading - they're not an absolute necessity.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
I worked in Andover for 3 years and it has enough amenities for you to survive...not a lot else (leisure centre has a great gym). Rentable properties would get snapped up as soon as they became available which made my head spin, presumably it's even madder than when I was hunting in 2011. It's also the only place I've seen Rangers & Celtic fans peacefully co-existing.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
So my Dad made a suggestion yesterday, and I'm now curious enough to ask: Would it be worth pursuing universal credit?

Realising that the system is generally taken to be kind of a hot mess, if it were better than to try and go without - I'll be earning the equivalent of a bit under £15k per annum - I'm kinda tempted. But if it's not likely to work out, or otherwise be a substantial headache that could detract from my work, I might consider against it. Plus I hear the assessment period is what, five weeks?

Edit: Nevermind, took a swing at the calculator. Even with that kind of earnings, I'd be making too much to avoid eating up UC entirely. Good grief.

Last edited:

Rubbish

Dec 3, 2017
So my Dad made a suggestion yesterday, and I'm now curious enough to ask: Would it be worth pursuing universal credit?

Realising that the system is generally taken to be kind of a hot mess, if it were better than to try and go without - I'll be earning the equivalent of a bit under £15k per annum - I'm kinda tempted. But if it's not likely to work out, or otherwise be a substantial headache that could detract from my work, I might consider against it. Plus I hear the assessment period is what, five weeks?

Edit: Nevermind, took a swing at the calculator. Even with that kind of earnings, I'd be making too much to avoid eating up UC entirely. Good grief.
£15K isn't too bad to live off (Says the shit-head student). how are you apartment hunting? What are you looking for? Would you not want to look at a flat-share?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
£15K isn't too bad to live off (Says the shit-head student). how are you apartment hunting? What are you looking for? Would you not want to look at a flat-share?

Yeah, not keen on a flat or house share. Yes, I am aware such would be the economic choice, but it's not one I'd be comfortable in due to a... somewhat anti-social and anxious nature - what with being autistic and all - and it's going to be tricky enough to adjust to the experience of living by myself, in a whole new area, starting a new job. I want to minimise my stress in this instance, thus, trying to find my own apartment to rent.

Rubbish

Dec 3, 2017
Yeah, not keen on a flat or house share. Yes, I am aware such would be the economic choice, but it's not one I'd be comfortable in due to a... somewhat anti-social and anxious nature - what with being autistic and all - and it's going to be tricky enough to adjust to the experience of living by myself, in a whole new area, starting a new job. I want to minimise my stress in this instance, thus, trying to find my own apartment to rent.
ach so. My friend had a similar problem, but he was only just on the spectrum and managed to deal with it. and the other question I asked?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
ach so. My friend had a similar problem, but he was only just on the spectrum and managed to deal with it. and the other question I asked?

As in the... how am I apartment hunting one? Mostly looking at sites like RightMove. If what I'm looking for, a one bed apartment, preferably with some basic furnishings though not absolutely necessary (we've got a local auction, so plenty of white goods go on sale there). Got four viewings booked for this Saturday.

Rubbish

Dec 3, 2017
As in the... how am I apartment hunting one? Mostly looking at sites like RightMove. If what I'm looking for, a one bed apartment, preferably with some basic furnishings though not absolutely necessary (we've got a local auction, so plenty of white goods go on sale there). Got four viewings booked for this Saturday.
Yeah, my suggestion would be when you visit the city have a look around just to see if you can find a sweet-deal. You can find bargains if you look hard enough. I was found a 2-bed house in Portsmouth for £500 pm, sadly I was already tied to a 3-bed former council flat for almost triple the fucking price. But that's student flats for ye'

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my suggestion would be when you visit the city have a look around just to see if you can find a sweet-deal. You can find bargains if you look hard enough. I was found a 2-bed house in Portsmouth for £500 pm, sadly I was already tied to a 3-bed former council flat for almost triple the fucking price. But that's student flats for ye'

Oh, there was a house going in Ludgershall for something like £575 a month, but when I called up about it, it turned out it was already gone and they hadn't updated the site. Current favourite is this Bungalow (an annex on someone's property), partially furnished with washing machine and fridge already installed, for 550 pcm.

Annoyingly, the one place I could find with a gas cooker - sorry, much prefer it to electric - was fully booked viewing wise for Saturday. Suspect it'll be gone by next week.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
Got another snow warning on the weekend. Snowday Monday would be sick. Better stock up on hot cross buns tonight before they all go out.

maroje1950

Nov 20, 2017
Hey guys,

I was in London one month ago, and i really liked it there. I plan to move to London in October just for couple of months (mostly to experience different culture) and i was looking for some interesting courses mostly regarding IT, if you could recommend something. I have a friend in London so I don't need to think about housing. I know its kind of a broad topic, but im open to suggestions.

Rubbish

Dec 3, 2017
Software and web dev. Atm both interest me, although I have zero knowledge about them.
This isn't really a question about England things, wouldn't you be better off asking in a place dedicated to IT/software devs/engineering?

Do you have any programming or exp in IT? How old are you? Where are you from? Are you a Russian Spy?

maroje1950

Nov 20, 2017
I was checking here, if you guys knew some good searching points for courses in London. I do not have any exp. in IT. I am 25 and from Croatia. I already have a career in tourism, but would like to take a break and explore something new, and as I said already Ive been to London and love it.

Rubbish

Dec 3, 2017
I was checking here, if you guys knew some good searching points for courses in London. I do not have any exp. in IT. I am 25 and from Croatia. I already have a career in tourism, but would like to take a break and explore something new, and as I said already Ive been to London and love it.
I think if you're interested in IT you should start exploring it now. Check out online courses. Treehouse could be a good place to start if you're interested in web-design and they also offer general programming courses. If you go in knowing nothing I'm not sure how much you would take out of it as most courses are probably going to last longer than 1/2 months. Another idea would be to do an English course, you've said you're in tourism, but do you have good qualifications for English language or feel that it could be improved? I'm sure you are aware of this, but having a little bit of paper that says you've got a high proficiency in English is seriously valuable in many countries.

maroje1950

Nov 20, 2017
Thank you for your answer. I already bought online course about ios app development https://www.appbrewery.co/courses. Regarding what you said about English course, I finished Rochester institute of technology in Croatia (US college, english was primary language), so i got that.

Musha_Soturi

Oct 26, 2017
I'm
GoDnCdT.jpg