LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
This is unenforcable because most establishments aren't going to harass customers and turn away business because of some bullshit "reasonable rule". Our consumer rights haven't been eroded to that extent.

The comparison with smoking doesn't fly because smoking indoors in public is illegal and a health risk.

I'm not comparing use of tablets to smoking. I agree that they may end up having to call the police if you won't leave when asked to do so. They decide who they will allow in their place, and as long as they're not discriminating against you unlawfully you have to leave when asked.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So a pub where you cannot pick your phone, swear, watch TV and/or listen to music sounds really fun! :lol

I respect the ''Here we work ye ole ways'' mentality but this won't stick once the old guard dies and they'll want to lure the new generation in.

There were plenty of pubs like this only like 10 years ago in the uk. For pubs, music and tv licenses cost money, and no one really cared about WiFi when the iPhone had only just been released.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
it's this board come to life. also a good reason to not go there

jGSmalCECs8qOIhSfvUOD44SZ1ALim-oWbdgY0N8MEw.jpg

Are the prices like it's 1995?

Nov 18, 2017
I'm not comparing use of tablets to smoking. I agree that they may end up having to call the police if you won't leave when asked to do so. They decide who they will allow in their place, and as long as they're not discriminating against you unlawfully you have to leave when asked.

No business owner in their right mind is going to call the police to enforce such a rule. If I've ordered, or the meal is on the table, then I've entered into a contract with the restaurant - they can't ask me to leave and get paid for the food, so which is their priority? I suspect they're also opening themselves up to legal action.

How do you think the police in Manchester will react being called to these pubs to remove law-abiding customers because they're using smartphones? Unless it's a government-led ban this is unenforcable.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There were plenty of pubs like this only like 10 years ago in the uk. For pubs, music and tv licenses cost money, and no one really cared about WiFi when the iPhone had only just been released.

Yeah, I agree and understand that, but a lot of things changed in the last 10 years and this likely goes against the flow of what attracts people to go to a pub.

Who knows though, perhaps it can work for hipsters, IDK. :P

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
No business owner in their right mind is going to call the police to enforce such a rule. If I've ordered, or the meal is on the table, then I've entered into a contract with the restaurant - they can't ask me to leave and get paid for the food, so which is their priority? I suspect they're also opening themselves up to legal action.

How do you think the police in Manchester will react being called to these pubs to remove law-abiding customers because they're using smartphones? Unless it's a government-led ban this is unenforcable.

These things do tend to be self-enforcing. Firstly, those who innocently break a rule are informed and asked to refrain. Those who persistently break the rule, particularly in an obnoxious manner, are warned and eventually barred. Staff will refuse to interact with a barred person, who will eventually have to leave or risk an unfriendly interaction with a police officer.

It doesn't make much difference why the customer is barred. Whether wearing scruffy clothes, swearing loudly enough to be overheard, or refusing to take your mobile phone calls outside, you can be barred at the manager's discretion.

Nov 18, 2017
These things do tend to be self-enforcing. Firstly, those who innocently break a rule are informed and asked to refrain. Those who persistently break the rule, particularly in an obnoxious manner, are warned and eventually barred. Staff will refuse to interact with a barred person, who will eventually have to leave or risk an unfriendly interaction with a police officer.

It doesn't make much difference why the customer is barred. Whether wearing scruffy clothes, swearing loudly enough to be overheard, or refusing to take your mobile phone calls outside, you can be barred at the manager's discretion.

It will only be self-enforcing if the public are on-board. They won't be, and the businesses will either quietly revoke the ban or rarely enforce it. Because ultimately they want to make money, and there is plenty of competition where people can go with their phones/tablets/laptops.

We're clearly looking at this from different perspectives, but I would be incensed if anyone approached me at a pub or restaurant and told me to put my phone away.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
I see no issue with this, we have a similar rule at the dinner table. The kids friends come over and are like "WTF? You talk to each other at dinner?". If you don't like it then go elsewhere. People ignoring it and causing a scene despite knowing what may happen need to grow up.

Nov 18, 2017
Then you'd leave and never come back. The product these particular people are selling cannot be created without excluding people who aren't even aware of its value.

I'm aware of it's value, it's not something I believe can be enforced or engineered by exclusion.
And we're talking about a chain pub and Frankie & F'ing Benny's.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I'm aware of it's value, it's not something I believe can be enforced or engineered by exclusion.

Do you sometimes want to take a dog into a pub? If so, what do you think happens after you are told you can't remain with the dog? How about young children in a restaurant? Same question.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I agree and understand that, but a lot of things changed in the last 10 years and this likely goes against the flow of what attracts people to go to a pub.

Who knows though, perhaps it can work for hipsters, IDK. :P

There's an interesting dynamic with pubs. I mean are people really going for WiFi access and being able to watch YouTube? Or are they going for some nebulous idea of "atmosphere", which is easily lost if too many patrons are on their phones not talking and being lively.

Nov 18, 2017
I
Do you sometimes want to take a dog into a pub? If so, what do you think happens after you are told you can't remain with the dog? How about young children in a restaurant? Same question.

I would never assume a pub is dog-friendly. But a dog presents issues tablets do not.
Same with kids.

I think it's funny you think this measure will achieve the "value" of creating a sociable atmosphere in a screen-free environment. Back in the early 00's a mate of mine would take his laptop to his local pub and nurse a pint whilst doing freelance work, and in no way was it considered anti-social amongst the locals. There was a great community atmosphere and he was very much a part of it.

As a side point the pub chain in question are making the link with the smoking ban by asking mobile users to gather with the smokers. There's no equivalence.

Finally, to the other guy: "no phones at the dinner table" is a low level dictatorship move. Let people do what they like, fucksake.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Well, I suppose that's their call if they want to do it, but I wouldn't go there. I wonder if they have older customers who always complain about those damn kids with their productivity tools haha

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
They're a real oddity, their bottled beer used to have a great reputation, but rather than being diminished they're completely forgotten. The pubs are cheap and traditional to the point of being old fashioned. It's all their own booze that they sell, which is unheard of these days.

Yeah, samuel smith has really dropped off stateside as well. 10-15 years ago they were considered one of the better imports... Used to love their Samuel Smith IPA, but none of their beers have changed in ... 20 years, and they're all still really old school.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Uhm yes it can be easily enforced. If you are in my business and don't follow the rules then you get out of my business. Entitled customers like you are the worse "No I paid for my salad! I am a paying customer and I am the king now!" No. You are just someone and you get banned now from my shop/restaurant.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's an interesting dynamic with pubs. I mean are people really going for WiFi access and being able to watch YouTube? Or are they going for some nebulous idea of "atmosphere", which is easily lost if too many patrons are on their phones not talking and being lively.

Both can happen and work, groups of people will go to be social and exchange while single customers can sip a drink while watching TV or the news on his/her phone. It doesn't have to be all black and white, options are seen under a better light than restrictions. That is unless you're aiming at a specific 'theme' for your business, like old school.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I

I would never assume a pub is dog-friendly. But a dog presents issues tablets do not.
Same with kids.

Well there you are, then. You can see why a publican may want to exclude certain activities, even certain people, that would be perfectly legal. Your personal evaluation of the situation happens to be compatible with that of a hypothetical publican in such cases.

I think it's funny you think this measure will achieve the "value" of creating a sociable atmosphere in a screen-free environment.

I don't. But it's clear that at least one brewery believes it can play a part and has decided to take a risk in the hope of cultivating such an environment. Neither you nor I will be dragooned into their premises, and there must be thousands of other places to go in Greater Manchester, so it's fine and it won't adversely affect us.

Finally, to the other guy: "no phones at the dinner table" is a low level dictatorship move. Let people do what they like, fucksake.

If we visit somebody's house and they insist that we remove our shoes in the porch, that's the same, isn't it? Damn and blast these people we've never met, who insist on having rules we disagree with in their own homes. Seriously?

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Pretentious bullshit. My friends and I always share photos when we catch up for a beer. Kid doing something new/cool. Lemme see. WOrking on a home project I'm interesting in, show me. There's more to using a phone than social media.

if you dont like it, go somewhere else?

but yeah i thought pubs were a place for you to be social? can you not be on instagram or twitter for an hour? if you really do need to make a call, text, check your email, etc, just go outside?

Why should I leave my table to read a fucking text? Or see a photo of my friend's 2 month old kid?

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I have never heard of a pub chain in either the states or for this matter Europe but when you go to a pub you go with friends and drink and socialize.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I have never heard of a pub chain in either the states or for this matter Europe but when you go to a pub you go with friends and drink and socialize.
Yeah, and you can still do that while using a phone? I don't see the harm in using a phone, especially in the example above where w poster says they are sharing photos and videos - also I use my phone waiting for people to get back from the toilet. Pubs are supposed to be places to relax - some people may just want to nurse a pint in the corner, some people may be travelling for work and it's a place to relax and, yeah, a lot of people may want to chat.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Let people do what the fuck they want in a free country?

Smoking harms other people.
Using a tablet device does not.

If I was in a restaurant or pub and staff told me to put my phone or laptop away I would lose my shit at them.
And then you'd be kicked out for causing a scene and violating a private business policies . You can tell who grew up with a phone in hand itt they make it sound like using your phone is a human right .
I don't know if I'd like the place but I'm sure not going to cry about their private policies.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see them banning newspapers or books, and plenty go to the pub to read. This is an "old man yells at cloud" policy used as marketing material.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
I like the idea. There are plenty of other pubs.
Exactly.

If people don't like it they have the opportunity to spend their money elsewhere. This company are offering something different and I'm sure their venues will continue to be used not only by some of their regular clientele, but they may also acquire some new customers.

Good for them.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Those rule are lame but nothing to really complain about, I would just take my business elsewhere.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
Yeah, and you can still do that while using a phone? I don't see the harm in using a phone, especially in the example above where w poster says they are sharing photos and videos - also I use my phone waiting for people to get back from the toilet. Pubs are supposed to be places to relax - some people may just want to nurse a pint in the corner, some people may be travelling for work and it's a place to relax and, yeah, a lot of people may want to chat.

I tend to agree that say on a business trip you might need to take a call or just relaxing in a pub and news comes a cousin just gave birth to her first daughter (hapoened to me over the phone at a bar stool) but other than that even if it means striking up a conversation with a stranger say there is a baseball game on and you talk about who you think has what it takes to make it to the playoffs, that is the art of interaction not taking a picture of what overpriced burger and fries you ordered and sharing it with friends.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
No idea why people just don't embrace technical change, rather than trying to fight it.

People want to go to pub and look at their phone? Why would this be an issue to anyone??

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I mean it wasn't too long ago was it they banned smoking in pubs in Ireland and England, right?

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Went to one of these speakeasy bars a year or so ago. Few of us went first, rest of the group were joining later.
Owner had a go at me as I was messaging rest of the group to give them directions to this place.. "spoils the atmosphere" or something. We were the only ones in there and just got out and went somewhere else to meet friends.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Its not like McDonald's. It is a pub chain in thst esch of their pubs only sells their beers, but beyond that there is no visual link between the pubs.
The beer is really cheap as well!

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
Is this the only or largest pub chain in the country? I don't understand getting upset over an establishment setting upfront ground rules for patrons. Not using a phone for an hour or two is not really that big of an ask.

Nov 18, 2017
Uhm yes it can be easily enforced. If you are in my business and don't follow the rules then you get out of my business. Entitled customers like you are the worse "No I paid for my salad! I am a paying customer and I am the king now!" No. You are just someone and you get banned now from my shop/restaurant.

The rules a business enforces can be logical to prevent harm or inconvenience to other customers, or in this case, arbitary and imposing inconvenience on specific customers. You are there to serve salad, a customer pays you to provide a service, not to pass comment on their lifestyle or throw a "ban" around like you're some king.

I don't. But it's clear that at least one brewery believes it can play a part and has decided to take a risk in the hope of cultivating such an environment. Neither you nor I will be dragooned into their premises, and there must be thousands of other places to go in Greater Manchester, so it's fine and it won't adversely affect us.
If we visit somebody's house and they insist that we remove our shoes in the porch, that's the same, isn't it? Damn and blast these people we've never met, who insist on having rules we disagree with in their own homes. Seriously?

"Play a part" in what? Increasing social conversation? I'm amazed a user of ResetERA would support such technophobic views. Bear in mind there was a rush at one point for pubs to provide wi-fi etc. to entice customers. The serious point is this is an anti-intellectual, anti-consumer, regressive stance. I personally don't think it will work, but we'll see.

And then you'd be kicked out for causing a scene and violating a private business policies . You can tell who grew up with a phone in hand itt they make it sound like using your phone is a human right . I don't know if I'd like the place but I'm sure not going to cry about their private policies.

A business is declaring they are going to confront patrons for how they use their personal time in their business. This is a policy which restricts the personal freedoms of paying customers and customers should vote with their feet. Giving them verbal feedback isn't crying, it's a consumer right.

Last edited:

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I heard of a few places in LA that make you leave your phone at the door. One of these places in particular refuses to have an online presence, too. So it's "harder" to know where it is, because you have to talk to someone to know.

The interesting and over the top thing about that place is that they also don't have any "digital" music. All they play is on vinyl.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
12 years ago now. It wasn't too long after that when I quit. In a way it's a shame as the tobacco at least used to mask the aroma of stale piss and sweat in Wetherspoons.
I was never a native Irish but I do have family there and it was a big deal. Do you really want someone shouting over music next to you while drinking a beer on the phone just yammering about stupid shit on the phone that they can easily take outside.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Sam Smith's pubs are a fucking refuge, at least in London. No music, lots of seats, fairly inexpensive booze. You can go there and actually have a conversation with your buds instead of getting drowned out by shitty pop music, it's great.

Got no real problem with this, knowing the Sam Smith pubs I've been to, I'm pretty sure this rule is just so that if someone is being obnoxious with their device, they can get them to leave. Someone quietly reading a Kindle isn't going to have a problem.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Great pub (cheap as fuck). Stupid rule. They won't enforce it in most pubs. I swear fairly often in my local and that's banned too.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
So uh sounds like a great place. Like the TGI Fridays of England.

"In October 2017, the brewery issued a chain-wide ban on the use of profanity in its pubs. The "zero-tolerance" policy calls for employees to cut off service to customers who use offensive language. "

Kaede

Dec 27, 2017
As a Londoner I can confirm these pubs are great. Cheap good beer, the closest you can get to a spit and sawdust pub in the modern era in Central London. They thrive as a post work drink up location, no-one specifically goes there for a night out. There is literally nothing to get offended about here.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
What's with people pretending that people in bars just sit there on phones not talking? It's always struck me as one of the weirder things to lie about.