• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Vile and disgusting but expected from this country. Isnt this the country where one of the princes made sex statues of himself and blew through billions through partying and stuff? Corrupt fucks.

Jul 18, 2018
That's super annoying.

Idk why these laws Exist. LGBTQ community don't deserve the shit they get around the world. Let them live their lives in happiness.

Sometimes I shake my head at some of these Muslims and wonder wtf, get with modern times. As a Muslim myself it's infuriating. Leave them alone, everyone deserves happiness.
Looking at the list....seems to me there is a common thread to many; rich leaders that have so much power can inflict laws to keep everyone on check and balances. Thus can inact religious laws that will benefit them more than society. To be honest, if you look up stories of these folks, they aren't as honest or religiously moral as the people of that state.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you know that homosexuality is also illegal (although not really enforced) in Singapore? Majority of Asian countries are still backwards in this regard, which is just sad.

Honestly, blame imperialism. A lot of these countries, like Sri Lanka, were actually probably really chill before Europan colonizers got to them. And I say this as a queer dude that is looking to study in Sri Lanka, so this is an issue that I'm actually trying to navigate.

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, blame imperialism. A lot of these countries, like Sri Lanka, were actually probably really chill before Europan colonizers got to them. And I say this as a queer dude that is looking to study in Sri Lanka, so this is an issue that I'm actually trying to navigate.

How about we put the blame solely on them? Because they're grown ass adults and should know right from wrong, especially when this extreme.

This is like blaming a parent for a 40 year old commiting crimes.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Brunei is called "the shellfare state" because the ruling family is propped up by Shell.

D2uG9BmUkAAWq2S.jpg:large

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about we put the blame solely on them? Because they're grown ass adults and should know right from wrong, especially when this extreme.

This is like blaming a parent for a 40 year old commiting crimes.

Because it's naive as fuck to hold a developing country to the same exact standard when the west literally got its shit together w/r/t this issue like yesterday and only after causing a fuck ton of damage to these places and massively disrupting their cultures?

I'm not apologizing for them, it's fucking wack, but a lot of these places wouldn't even have a distinct notion of homophobic prejudice if the West didn't engage in the fucked up practice of imperialism and formally enshrined them in legal documents to begin with. Now with time they're at a point where they often think it's a distinct part of their cultural identity because civics education probably isn't great and Apocrypha eventually gets taken as fact.

I'm also not characterizing Brunei this way. It's more places like Singapore and Sri Lanka where colonial laws are still on the books.

Last edited:

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Reuters: Brunei says it won't enforce gay death penalty after backlash

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN (Reuters) - Brunei's Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah on Sunday extended a moratorium on the death penalty to incoming legislation prohibiting gay sex, seeking to temper a global backlash led by celebrities such as George Clooney and Elton John.
The small Southeast Asian country sparked an outcry when it rolled out its interpretation of Islamic laws, or sharia, on April 3, punishing sodomy, adultery and rape with death, including by stoning.
Brunei has consistently defended its right to implement the laws, elements of which were first adopted in 2014 and which have been rolled out in phases since then.
However, in a rare response to criticism aimed at the oil-rich state, the sultan said the death penalty would not be imposed in the implementation of the Syariah Penal Code Order (SPCO).
Some crimes already command the death penalty in Brunei, including premeditated murder and drug trafficking, but no executions have been carried out since the 1990s.
"I am aware that there are many questions and misperceptions with regard to the implementation of the SPCO. However, we believe that once these have been cleared, the merit of the law will be evident," the sultan said in a speech ahead of the start of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.
"As evident for more than two decades, we have practiced a de facto moratorium on the execution of death penalty for cases under the common law. This will also be applied to cases under the SPCO which provides a wider scope for remission."

AFP: Brunei says death penalty moratorium to cover sharia laws
Bandar Seri Begawan (Brunei) (AFP) - Brunei's sultan said Sunday a moratorium on capital punishment will also extend to sharia laws that include stoning to death for gay sex and adultery, after a furious backlash against the punishments.
It was the first time Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah had commented publicly on the new penal code since it fully entered force last month, and his remarks appeared aimed at assuaging worldwide criticism.
The laws, which also include amputation of hands and feet for thieves in the tiny sultanate on Borneo island, sparked fury from celebrities, including actor George Clooney, the United Nations and rights groups.
In a televised speech ahead of the start of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, the sultan said: "I am aware that there are many questions and misperceptions with regard to the implementation of the (sharia penal code)."
"There should not be any concern on the sharia law as it is full of Allah's mercy and blessings," he said, according to an official translation of his address.
"As evident for more than two decades, we have practised a de facto moratorium on the execution of death penalty for cases under the common law.
"This will also be applied to cases under the (sharia penal code), which provides a wider scope for remission."
He also vowed Brunei would ratify the United Nations convention against torture which it signed several years ago.