entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Earlier this year, we shared the story of how a classic NES Tetrisplayer hit the game's "kill screen" for the first time, activating a crash after an incredible 40-minute, 1,511-line performance. Now, some players are using that kill screen—and some complicated memory manipulation it enables—to code new behaviors into versions of Tetris running on unmodified hardware and cartridges.

We've covered similar "arbitrary code execution" glitches in games like Super Mario World, Paper Mario, and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time in the past. And the basic method for introducing outside code into NES Tetris has been publicly theorized since at least 2021 when players were investigating the game's decompiled code (HydrantDude, who has gone deep on Tetris crashes in the past, also says the community has long had a privately known method for how to take full control of Tetris' RAM).

TDLR: you can reprogram NES Tetris using naming and inputs in the high score table. Crazy!

arstechnica.com

Hackers discover how to reprogram NES Tetris from within the game

New method could help high-score chasers trying to avoid game-ending crashes.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOES2XTqT74

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Me and my middle son sat in bed and watched this before we went to bed last night. Very interesting if you're passingly familiar with assembly coding.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Well it's just bugs really. And people who are very interested in finding them.

While alchemy didn't actually work in the magical sense, the idea was that if you applied exact steps in a particular order, you'd achieve wonders beyond what was ostensibly achievable in the natural world.

That's where I see the connection.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
While alchemy didn't actually work in the magical sense, the idea was that if you applied exact steps in a particular order, you'd achieve wonders beyond what was ostensibly achievable in the natural world.

That's where I see the connection.

That's fair. I guess the difference for me is that we understand each step rather than following a set of instructions that results in an unexpected result without understanding the underlying steps.

But i have made too much of a bore of myself! Yes it's magical and cool i agree.