DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
A jury found on Friday that Phoenix Digital, which owns the cheat mod site AimJunkies, is guilty of violating Bungie copyrights when it created cheats for Destiny 2, reported Stephen Totilo, who has written about Bungie's cheating lawsuits for Axios. The landmark decision may be the first time a jury has agreed that a cheat creator violated a gaming company's copyrights.
Yesterday's jury decision awarded Bungie (PDF) a tidy sum of $63,210. Bungie counsel James Barker said in a statement emailed to The Verge that the company is "committed to our players and will continue to protect them against cheats, including taking this and future cases all the way to trial."
In 2021, Bungie sued AimJunkies and four defendants (here's a PDF of the complaint), alleging, among other things, that they hacked Destiny 2 to copy the code used to make cheats. Some of Bungie's complaints — like that AimJunkies violated a DMCA provision forbidding circumvention of copyright protection tech — went to arbitration and saw Bungie winning $4 million. AimJunkies appealed after the judge confirmed that award. That appeal is still in process, as Polygon wrote this week.
The win may only mean pocket change for Bungie, and it won't likely put an end to online cheating, but it does put a jury on record about the legality of creating such cheats. That makes this more significant than the pocket-change-for-Bungie $63,000 award lets on.
www.theverge.com

A jury hands Bungie a landmark victory in a Destiny 2 cheating lawsuit

It may be the first jury to say cheats violate copyrights.

View: https://x.com/stephentotilo/status/1794156492784087319

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder how the industry will react if ai cheat features keep getting implemented into monitors by mjaor brands

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
Wish someone that actually understood the law would report on this. I'd like to know why the cheat company thought they could win this suit. There must be other issues at play.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil

Thalanil

Fallen Guardian
Aug 24, 2023
Great to see and great precedent being set. At the same I Imagine the hard part will be trying to go after other cheat makers based in other countries. It's still very good that this allows for precedent about US cheat makers getting fund guilty and shut down but hopefully it can be replicated internationally.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Mugs like these have put me off so so many multiplayer games and made them impossible to enjoy. Good riddance.

Tanaka

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a lawyer or anything, but could this theoretically be used as precedent for companies to go after mods? From a total layman's perspective, a mod for a single player game and a cheat for an online game don't look that different on paper. I could see a company like Capcom making this argument.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I dunno about this. What does this mean for things like mods? What's the precedent made here.
I'm not a Destiny 2 guy, what kind of mods would you use?
I was under the impression it's basically a multiplayer only experience on company-run servers. I'd think not allowing cheats in that context is a given

Feb 16, 2022
Wish someone that actually understood the law would report on this. I'd like to know why the cheat company thought they could win this suit. There must be other issues at play.
Based on their own words, the cheat company thought Bungie had it easy so far going after people who have no money to defend themselves and would rather settle, so they wanted to show Bungie what would happen if they were fought in court. lmao

Feb 16, 2022
I dunno about this. What does this mean for things like mods? What's the precedent made here.
I'm not a lawyer or anything, but could this theoretically be used as precedent for companies to go after mods? From a total layman's perspective, a mod for a single player game and a cheat for an online game don't look that different on paper. I could see a company like Capcom making this argument.
The act of selling off the cheats is likely key here.

Oct 25, 2017
Just a little (hopefully simple) lesson on precedent in the US.

Jury decisions don't create precedent on it's own. Only when a final judgement is made is there precedent. But more importantly, only when it's reviewed by an appellate court is there strong precedent.

Before appellate review, it's only persuasive precedent. After appellate review it is mandatory precedent, but only in lower courts in the same jurisdiction.

So is this (legal) precedent? No, not yet anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Keeping in mind, I don't know any specifics about this case. Copyright law is pretty complex.

Usually, there is a claim of a violation, and then the defense is typically either that no violation occurred or (more likely) that if there was a violation, it is protected by fair use.

Fair use has several considerations, one of which is the commercial nature of the use. If someone is not selling their mods, they might be more likely to be protected by fair use compared to those who are selling cheats. However, selling mods or cheats is not the sole factor and is not determinative one way or the other.

It is also important to note that fair use has several other factors, and the term "modding" and what mods are is very undefined. Modding could involve swapping a few colors or quite literally creating its own game. Therefore, one mod might be considered fair use, and another mod might not.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a Destiny 2 guy, what kind of mods would you use?
I was under the impression it's basically a multiplayer only experience on company-run servers. I'd think not allowing cheats in that context is a given
It's not just about Destiny 2. That isn't the concern for mods here. It's starts to pave the way for future suits in the same realm.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure this is a good thing. Who's to say this couldn't open the door Pandora's box against any makers of mods or cheats, even in single player games (When a dev doesn't like it)?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure this is a good thing. Who's to say this couldn't open the door Pandora's box against any makers of mods or cheats, even in single player games (When a dev doesn't like it)?
I agree, this is very bad news. It's just a matter of time before Ubisoft sues the maker of single player mods and cheats because they are trying to push crappy microtransactions. Plus, Japanese companies seem to be heavily against mods of any sort even if they aren't microtransaction heavy games.

Are they also going to try to get cheat engine taken down since it can be used to make your own cheats? I can easily see publishers going after places that sell a one time or monthly subscription for access to cheats for a variety of single player game, which I got a lifetime membership to.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Based on their own words, the cheat company thought Bungie had it easy so far going after people who have no money to defend themselves and would rather settle, so they wanted to show Bungie what would happen if they were fought in court. lmao

This is funny completely independent of everything else, good lord, lol.

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
For those bringing up mods, there's two court cases worth reading into.

1) Midway Manufacturing Co. v. Artic International, Inc., in regards to physical modding of arcade machines/ In this case, one of the issues was a board that, when installed, simply sped up the speed at which 'Galaxian' was played. That was found to be a derivative work, even though it didn't modify any media assets.

2) Micro Star v. Formgen Inc. in regards to single player maps for 'Duke Nukem 3D,' in which the courts found the maps, while simply being data that does not include any assets from Duke, should be considered sequels.

"...and the stories told in the N/I MAP files are surely sequels, telling new (though somewhat repetitive) tales of Duke's fabulous adventures."

Now, while both of these were ultimately about cases where mods were being sold, it shouldn't be ignored what the courts considered to be derivative.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022

Yeah sure. But what did they actually argue? What issues are likely to be up for appeal? This article has none of the important info.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
While I hate cheating, I also hate the DMCA. I'm more concerned about the potential for future DMCA claims against modders.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
This article by Stephen Totillo is a week older, but it does have more info:
www.gamefile.news

Bungie’s wildest Destiny 2 cheating lawsuit heads to trial this week

Most cheat-sellers have folded, but in this case, they sued Bungie right back

That's better. Still reads like someone who doesn't fully understand the legal issues reporting it. And today's article doesn't even say what happened with the counterclaim. I'd be interested in hearing what they're actually appealing.