Ostrava

Jul 31, 2021
Belgium
There is a different between simple product placement and targeted adds based on info collected from users. If it's the first one I'm shrugging at this, if it's the second we are entering Google and Facebook MO and I don't like it.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
But even F2P games are not "free" for most people. People actually spend quite a bit of money for most of these live service F2P games, whether it's in the form of microtransactions or battle passes.

So these ads will be playing for people inside of games on which they've spent dozens or even hundreds of dollars.

Dont worry, there will be the "ultimate" version where you can pay money to turn off the ads.

OP
OP

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
There is a different between simple product placement and targeted adds based on info collected from users. If it's the first one I'm shrugging at this, if it's the second we are entering Google and Facebook MO and I don't like it.
The article says:
They also said Microsoft is concerned about securing its customers' data, so other companies can't use it.

While Microsoft has loads of consumer data, collected from searches on Bing and behavior on its sites and software, one of the sources said Microsoft has no immediate plans to let advertisers use that data to target people on Xbox.

"The problem with doing that is there are regulatory controls and privacy releases relevant to each platform and they're not cross-platform compatible," the source said. "If I were to read between the lines, it'd be like a 10-year goal, but that has serious hurdles and Microsoft is really strict about their data."

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
im gonna be honest if its a billboard like crackdown or burnout paradise i wouldnt care because i most likely wouldnt notice unless someone points it to me. if its a straight 30 second ad then they can definitely fuck themselves, but i dont think they are stupid enough to go there.

Dont worry, there will be the "ultimate" version where you can pay money to turn off the ads.

61495-l.webp

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This hobby needs fewer ads, not more
That's not how you make more money though. All these companies are going to be exploring ways to monetize their platforms more without necessarily hitting the consumers again. Each company has the metrics on what they'll expect to earn lifetime from each user, they have to find ways to grow that without asking the consumer to pay for more.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
If the ads don't interrupt gameplay, like banners in Forza or let's say a War Banner in Halo Infinite with a sponsor of the next event, I'm fine with that. But if they pause gameplay, or want you to watch ads before playing, yeah get that shit out. That's my stance on it.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Seems like F2P games would do this if they want to sell a battle pass or something. Pay for the battle pass to get rid of ads and include new rewards to boot. Double dip on the monetization. Smart.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Between the expensive NERF guns that unlock skins, and the nail polish that unlock armor colors I think it's safe to assume Halo Infinite ends up being one of the first games to use this.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The metaverse dream for these companies is exactly that second idea. Targeted ads at you to sell you services and digital garbage that costs them nothing to produce. Add NFTs on top of that to make it seem like you bought some limited digital product.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
F2P won't stay F2P. And what does F2P even mean when all first party titles are F2P for Games pass subscribers. Publishers will do whatever they feel they can get away with, slowly if required. So think of the most pessimistic interpretation of this and image that being the norm. I for one am not a fan of ads in my games

What a gross mischaracterization of what Free-2-Play is. Games launching day and date on Game Pass "for free" is not Free-2-Play. People are still paying for that services. Game Pass is a subscription service and the day and date for AAA titles is an insane value. Calling it Free-2-Play is a pretty gross mischaracterization to put it mildly.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Era has ads. I have no issue with them here. I get the purpose of ads. I guess that's why they've never bothered me. Not even the pop-ups from 20 years ago.

I think the only ads that ever bothered me were the dudes in malls that would almost block my walking path to sell me some kind of phone or something, like 15 years ago.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Ads are wack but maybe Xbox can use this to finally fund a sequel to Sneak King, the GOAT advertisement game

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
This shit already exists in paid games and has done for years. Football Manager features targeted ads on the in-game billboards. You can opt out of the targeting but you'll still get real ads every match. That's about as obtrusive as I and many would tolerate. Sounds like it'll be along those lines. If they try anything more egregious the backlash wouldn't be worth the money for them.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
What are the chances this extends to P2P games?

Is this something Publishers will eventually force? Can they?

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
It's funny seeing all the complaints here while I see a targeted banner ad
Haha, very true.

Im not really too fussed about ads. Everyone makes a big deal about the xbox dashboard but i actually dont mind those ads and they are sometimes useful. The only thing console wise that annoyed me was years ago whenever you went in the PS store a huge Slim Jim ad popped up that was massive. But nothing to complain about it really.

Back when i had cable tv i actually liked TV commercials. YouTube im so used to them its just whatever. Not annoying enough to pay to get rid of them. Hulu ads are annoying but again not enough to pay to rid them. When stuff is free, its probably gonna have ads of some sort. I dont know why we draw the line at video games.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Death Stranding Director's Cut removed the Monster drinks, so Kojima decided to do an Xbox game.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft recently invested in a company doing similar stuff. I believe the main difference from previous in game promotions, like the monster energy in death stranding, is that it will be programmatic and based on ad biding. So you might see monster one day and then Red Bull another.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I'm for this but only if they restrict it to crappy and irrelevant brands like Radioshack.

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
If it's a free 2 play game I have no problem with this. If Pepsi wants to front the bill for me to play the game I welcome it. Even if it's a paid game if the product placement fits in that world I also don't care. I find it funny people are still complaining about ads on the dash when I have never noticed them ever.

It'd be an improvement on having to pay for a Pepsi ad, for sure.

PEPSI-Man-PS1.jpg

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Even for f2p Xbox games this sucks, because f2p games already make a lot of money with skins, battle passes, etc

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
In-game ads where they make sense (real-world settings) are fine of you ask me. I just think they have to be varied. More distracting to see 20 Coke ads than to see a bunch of random ones.

Ads while a ame loads (into a match) is fine imo. Watching a countdown on a static screen isn't something that would be specifically missed.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
That's not how you make more money though. All these companies are going to be exploring ways to monetize their platforms more without necessarily hitting the consumers again. Each company has the metrics on what they'll expect to earn lifetime from each user, they have to find ways to grow that without asking the consumer to pay for more.

I'm not a shareholder so I really don't care about their money, ads just suck for consumers in general and this could create a awful precedent

F2P games are already made with the intention of taking every cent possible from players

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
This thread is mad defensive lol

But this really feels like further stepping stones into whatever the fuck their plans are for a "meta verse". Basically just let brands buy ad space into the Xbox eco system and then the ads just get automatically distributed across whatever games are a part of it.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Y'all either all young or short memories, but what's new is old new again!

Microsoft bought Massive in 2006 for like $300million, dynamic in-game advertising was a big business

and now everyone is exploring bringing it back, especially as companies take more and more risks on F2P and are looking for incremental revenue streams as competition heats up and retention gets harder and harder.

It's also ownable, targetable inventory you don't have to give away to Google or Facebook since it's your audience ecosystem

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Strikes me as sorta funny cause this is like a weird twisted version of what crypto fans believe NFTs will be like, that they'll just transfer from one game to another seamlessly.

But here there's an actual financial incentive for publishers to include the cross game ad functionality, with the advertisers as the actual customer.