• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
This holiday season, both Sony and Microsoft plan to launch new, so-called next-generation versions of the PlayStation and the Xbox.

These days, the "console wars" are a head-to-head between Sony's PlayStation and Microsoft's Xbox. But in 2020, it looks as if Microsoft is shifting its business strategy in a way that might end them for good.

1. Microsoft doesn't mind if you don't buy its new Xbox console, as long as you buy the game.
Do you want to play games on an Xbox? A PC? Your phone? Microsoft wants to reach you there — ideally across all three.

To that end, Xbox has major initiatives across all three platforms: a new game console (Xbox Series X), a cloud gaming service (Project xCloud), and a Netflix-like gaming service (Game Pass).

"That remains core to what we're trying to do," the Xbox leader Phil Spencer told Business Insider in an interview last June. "To allow creators to reach the customers that they want, allow players to play the games that they want with the people they want to play with, anywhere they want. And it fits right into the opportunity ahead."

It's part of a broader effort at Microsoft to bring Xbox games to as many people as possible — even if those people don't buy a new Xbox console. To that end, all first-party Xbox games across the next two years will also head to Xbox One.

2. The new Xbox is just the latest box, not a whole new ecosystem.
The next Xbox console will play Xbox One games. It will also play all the original Xbox and Xbox 360 games that already work on the Xbox One. It will also work with all the current Xbox One accessories, from gamepads to fight sticks.

"The original Xbox games and Xbox 360 games that are backward-compatible now on your Xbox One, those will play. Your Xbox One games will play, your accessories will play," Spencer said last June.
This is an important precedent that was set with the Xbox One, and it's continuing with the next generation of Xbox consoles: Your digital game library carries forward, like app purchases on smartphones or movie purchases on Amazon Prime. It establishes your Xbox library as a continuing digital platform, something no game console maker has done thus far.

The compatibility actually stretches further — games with large existing communities will continue to grow those communities on the next Xbox.

"I don't want to announce anything about what another game team is doing," Spencer said, "But I think what we would say at the highest level is if you talk about these games that have such massive communities today, a lot of those developers and studios are going to want to think about how they grow their community — not how they take it to zero and try to rebuild it."

3. Going forward, it's just "Xbox."
The Xbox Series X is part of the fourth generation of Xbox consoles from Microsoft, following the original Xbox, the Xbox 360, and the Xbox One generations. It's a real murderer's row of bizarre names.

The Series X, however, isn't a whole new line of Xbox consoles — it's just the name of the latest in the Xbox console brand.

"The name we're carrying forward to the next generation is simply Xbox," a Microsoft representative told Business Insider in December.
It's a small branding change, but it clarifies Microsoft's position with its console line: You can expect your Xbox digital library to work on Xbox devices, similar to Apple's approach with the iPhone.

You might get an iPhone 11 Pro, or you might get an iPhone 8 — they all run the same stuff, albeit in varying degrees of fidelity. Such is the case with the Xbox brand going forward.

4. With Game Pass, Microsoft could win the race to create the first major "Netflix of gaming" service.
Thus far, no company has had success with a comparable service for gaming. There are a few services that offer streamed video games, like Google Stadia and PlayStation Now, but neither has really taken off.

Microsoft, however, has had wild success with Game Pass — an instant library-type service where each game must be downloaded to your console before playing.
With Project xCloud, Microsoft may be the first to actually succeed with a subscription-based video game streaming service with an instant library, à la Netflix, that pairs Game Pass' vast library and existing subscriber base with an option to stream games as well.

"I want it to be about choice, but I do think the strength that we've already seen in the last two years with Game Pass is an important component of this," Spencer said when asked about the business model for xCloud.

"There's paying for access, and then there's paying for a library of games," he said. "And the Game Pass component is really critical, because you want to have access to hundreds of games that you can go play. That is more your Netflix-type example."

And there you have it. Nothing new in this Business Insider article of course, but I think it does a good job in tying together and contextualizing Microsoft's statements and decisions over the last several months, and provides a good case for them in winning back some marketshare next gen. "Ending" console wars is subject to debate but it's hard not to feel like they're in a better position now than they were a few years ago, and there are reasons to be hopeful. Of course, this mentions nothing about the games themselves, and with their recent acquisitions, I expect them to have a sizable amount of quality first party software that they can release at a steady clip, so that their release calendars don't look empty and dry for most of the year.

More at the link:
https://www.businessinsider.com/playstation-xbox-console-wars-end-microsoft-sony-2020-1

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
It's a small branding change, but it clarifies Microsoft's position with its console line: You can expect your Xbox digital library to work on Xbox devices, similar to Apple's approach with the iPhone.

You might get an iPhone 11 Pro, or you might get an iPhone 8 — they all run the same stuff, albeit in varying degrees of fidelity. Such is the case with the Xbox brand going forward.
I still don't see how they imagine this could possibly work out well for a gaming console... Sounds like something someone high up came up with "because Apple".

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I think Gamepass is a really smart counter to the "locked in ecosystem" effect people think BC will ensure. Some are really sleeping on how important a variable this is for the massmarket.

Legend J 858

Oct 25, 2018
giphy.gif

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Its a bold step for sure. Time will tell if it works out. But I am glad they are taking a unique position.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I hope to God multiplatforms don't go with cross- gen idea after the first year.
Otherwise we'll be paying $499 to play 4K60FPS versions of games designed around goddamn Jaguar, GCN and 5400RPM hard drives in 2020s.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
huh? wouldn't it be simply just backward compatibility?
It's backwards and forwards compatibility. The backwards is fairly easy, forwards will mean that games are going to be less ambitious than they could be, since they have to be able to run on an eight-core jaguar from 2013.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Netflix is going to spend 18 billion dollars on original content this year, if Microsoft ends up anywhere close to that, yeah I think we'd all be happy.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I fail to see how this would "end the console wars".
Because Sony and Nintendo will just shrivel up and die when MS does something?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Do we even have any pricing info on XCloud? All these articles say it'll change everything but we dont even know what the price is. The only thing that is confirmed free is the Remote Play-like service, which has been free on PS4 since 2013

Number 3 seems like a bit of a stretch

Netflix is going to spend 18 billion dollars on original content this year, if Microsoft ends up anywhere close to that, yeah I think we'd all be happy.

LOL

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Ending the "console war" by sorta forfeiting the notion of selling anywhere close as many consoles as the competition ( Sony and somewhat Nintendo) is a curious choice of words.

It's not even bad, because I frankly don't think MS could outdo Sony using the he same strategy currently, but that doesn't excuse the dumb title of the article.

And yeh, even as a primarily PC gamer I always considered the single-hardware aspect of consoles their one true advantage. User and developers can benefit alike by simply being able to focus on one thing, or more specifically not worry about many unknown factors.

Even with "pro" iterations and cross-generation releases this hasn't been quite as important these days but it's still there to some degree. But a whole slew of Xbox Series hardware? Meh...

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's every chance that Game Pass does become their Netflix of gaming, maybe even THE Netflix of gaming.

But unless Sony trip themselves up PS5 will 'win' next gen, and if they invest in a PSNow or something like Game pass for Playstation, they can remain very comfortable.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I hope to God multiplatforms don't go with cross- gen idea after the first year.
Otherwise we'll be paying $499 to play 4K60FPS versions of games designed around goddamn Jaguar, GCN and 5400RPM hard drives in 2020s.
It's not concern trolling, it's concern. This will hurt multi-platform titles as well.

It will work as it does on PC and Mobile: it will be up to the developer to decide what range of hardware specs they want to target for their games. Some will want their games to run on the cheapest hardware (Minecraft) while others will prefer targeting high end devices (Battlefront II). It's not that difficult to understand.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Gamepass is a really smart counter to the "locked in ecosystem" effect people think BC will ensure. Some are really sleeping on how important a variable this is for the massmarket.
I think it will help MS quite a bit. I just don't see it cancelling out what anyone else has going. It will be more that everyone has something good going for them even though they are (somewhat) different from one another.

one

Nov 30, 2017
"With the next Xbox, Microsoft has a 4-part strategy to end the Xbox once and for all"

Last edited:

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
What Microsoft is doing now is healthier for the industry than the old model. I'm now in the process of buying 2 games tonight I would've never considered thanks to Game Pass and it's ability to expose me to new genres at no risk. I recently jumped at a gaming PC despite consoles being around the corner because there was a lot of games waiting for me Day 1 due to Game Pass. Now I'm also buying stuff from Steam. With that in mind, I'll continue to lean towards multiplats on Xbox knowing they're most likely to move across devices in the future. I think once people step back form the plastic wars, they'll see this is good for consumers, the industry and eventually....may work out for Microsoft.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I'm very interested in what Microsoft is doing but I can't take any article that has "console wars" in its title seriously. Especially when the title is as hyperbolic as that.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Ummm I don't see how they can claim first Netflix of gaming when they already show that others did it before MS? What's their baseline for "success"?

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
There's every chance that Game Pass does become their Netflix of gaming, maybe even THE Netflix of gaming.

But unless Sony trip themselves up PS5 will 'win' next gen, and if they invest in a PSNow or something like Game pass for Playstation, they can remain very comfortable.

Microsoft is wealthy enough that they could buy all of Sony if they wanted to. Sony could never win an arms races in streaming. Hell just recently they reached a business deal to use Microsoft's Azure servers for PlayStation streaming.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
what is generation winning to people?

to gamers it will always be units sold

but to the organisations it will always be total revenue

sony will clean up with units sold

but microsofts strategy certainly puts them in a strong position for the revenue crown

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is wealthy enough that they could buy all of Sony if they wanted to. Sony could never win an arms races in streaming. Hell just recently they reached a business deal to use Microsoft's Azure servers for PlayStation streaming.

Amazon is wealthy enough to buy Netflix, but content is king when it comes to streaming.

If Playstation put's it's library online along with all the 3rd parties, it'll be the same situation with Xbox v PS4 right now.

Plus there's Nintendo, their own exclusives alone would be huge on a streaming service.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I had to check to see if this was an old article.

How about not worrying about if they win a console war and just hope they succeed at whatever their goals are.

It's like the iPhone killers. It was more the media putting that out there, not so much the companies making the phones. Some did here n there. But nothing like the media.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area

Gamers are pathetic if they give a damn about units sold. All you should care about is your rights as a consumer and the quality of games released. Sony and Microsoft ain't ya friends, nor are I presume most of us here shareholders of these companies. God knows why people get to attached to these brands.

Plus there's Nintendo, their own exclusives alone would be huge on a streaming service.

lol Nintendo are living fossils when it comes to online. The day they have a successful version of their own Gamepass is the day pigs fly.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Such a microsoft thing to do.

They're wanting to move to software as much as possible, as that is their strong suit.
Also, focus on backwards compatibility is what both made Windows the desktop standard and completely lost it any chance on the server and mobile markets.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's incredibly smart what MS doing. People that still think about "winning" and a company aiming to "kill" the other one in a "console war" are already behind the ball. The truth is all of the big 3 are now positioned to fight different battles from each other and do things in a different direction. MS saw that they would never beat Sony with their current strategy and have shook it up to now target what they're strong at as a company: services.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Replace streaming with gaming, games.

Yet somehow Sony is still surviving, despite MS and all the money they have.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
what is generation winning to people?

but to the organisations it will always be total revenue

sony will clean up with units sold

but microsofts strategy certainly puts them in a strong position for the revenue crown

How's that? Game pass is ridiculously good value... for customers right now. I don't care how many people are and will be subscribed, there's no way in hell that they have the revenue crown when the bang/buck ratio is so lopsided.

Which is also why it'll have to change eventually. MS overall can obviously afford to drag that out as long as they want but there's no doubt in my mind that the cost of gamepass won't stay anywhere near as good 2-3 years later.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
The sooner 'console war' shit is over, the better. We don't need this dumb air of toxicity in the industry. I'm so happy MS is taking steps to kill it. I fully embrace this line of thinking and encourage Sony to do the same.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol Nintendo are living fossils when it comes to online. The day they have a successful version of their own Gamepass is the day pigs fly.

Very true, but their bite size Snes and Nes offerings right now are very Netflix like and if they got their whole back catalogue up they'd be successful in the streaming wars.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

I'm not sure I quite agree. You could use the same logic when Microsoft entered gaming back during the PS2 gen. And yet we're about to enter the fourth generation with Xbox involved and they've never been a leader in the space. Sure their expertise as far as Azure and services is well known and why Nadella has invested in the Xbox product, but you need the right people involved as well as the money to really make inroads. Microsoft need to be more competitive worldwide, not just in English speaking countries and places like Mexico.