• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I only buy games on steam if I get a key on Cdkeys or gmg. Haven't used the storefront in ages methinks. Except for some DLC.

Everything else I try to buy on GOG. Just feels right.

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Regional pricing on Steam - games are 30-40% cheaper for me.

Steam's DRM isn't intrusive - It isn't bad like other 3rd party DRMs, and some of those DRM-free games on GOG are also DRM-free on steam.

The social aspects that steam provides when buying the game (Play time, list of all your games on your profile, others being able to see what I play (I know I can add non-steam games, but having it on steam is better to me)) are all worthy aspects to me for buying a game with steam's DRM.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to buy from GOG, but they don't offer gift cards, and I don't have access to credit cards/PayPal due to sanctions (I live in Iran). Steam gift card codes are easy to get here.

Oct 27, 2017
One ecosystem, social features, and the biggest, most varied library in the world. Just dont go out of your way to look for trash like some... people.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
Having it all in one place is a valid reason. I tend to forget time to time that I still have Forza Horizon 3 installed. And I've played a lot of that game.

Ohto

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GOG is better for everyone.

The biggest reason to use GOG instead of Steam is that they don't force you to install patches. Steam does. My Skyrim was ruined because of Steam's idiotic mindset.

Steam is cancer.

Almost every big game is some other platform (Origin, GOG, Uplay etc.) so Steam is becoming irrelevant. You don't have to have Steam in order to play games, and I am so happy because of it.

I hate Steam, it is one of the reason we are in this lootbox mess.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
GOG is better for everyone.

The biggest reason to use GOG instead of Steam is that they don't force you to install patches. Steam does. My Skyrim was ruined because of Steam's idiotic mindset.

Steam is cancer.

Almost every big game is some other platform (Origin, GOG, Uplay etc.) so Steam is becoming irrelevant. You don't have to have Steam in order to play games, and I am so happy because of it.

I hate Steam, it is one of the reason we are in this lootbox mess.

I get disliking Steam but "Steam is becoming irrelevant" is as far from the truth as you could possibly get. The reason PC gaming is in the amazing state it's in today is Steam.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Because GoG curation is utter shit and insulting to devs.

Also because they lack a lot of features for library management, big picture mode, steam controller stuff which is amazing or steam workshop. For me, as a user, using GoG is a lesser experience, which on top of that, I dont want to support until they are more respectful toward indie devs.

Oct 25, 2017
If the price is the same I will buy it on steam or somewhere I can get a steam key. The convenience of having it in my steam library and just a few clicks to install is more valuable to me than not having the steam drm

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
I know I would lose the back up of my games. Or that at least I would need a fuck ton of space to keep them all if the DRM apocalypse ever comes.

So, DRM worries out of question, I prefer Steam.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I don't want to have my games spread across different platforms and the DRM part never really bothered me.

Gemeanie

Oct 27, 2017
SEA
Say what you want about Steam but no other platform does region pricing better than they do currently. A lot of indie games are 25%-30% cheaper than US pricing in SEA region.

GOG on the other hand doesn't even let me pay in my home currency.

Last edited:

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game shouldn't release broken in the first place, this is the devs/pubs fault and not the platform to which it releases on.

If you need to open additional software, like the client, in order to play your games well that's DRM. Every Steam game needs to be activated with an internet connection at least once, that's DRM. If the game needs to be downloaded with a client, that's DRM. If the game needs to be installed/uninstalled with a client, that's DRM. If you need an account to do all of the aforementioned, that's DRM.
No, that's not how DRM works at all.
DRM-free games on Steam don't require online activation.
The "need an account" is the most nonsensical argument. You also need a damn account to download games from GOG.
I don't actually know why people even use Steam when gog exists.

I wish more people would use gog so Steam can slowly slip into irrelevance. Steam is garbage.
GOG's curation is complete ass and it actively keeps great games out of it. Why would I ever give them a cent when I can get both a steam key and a DRM-free build often in the Humble Store and then can just get free GOG versions with GOG Connect? That, and Steam supports DRM-free games just fine.
????

Yes, not because publishers are greedy
Hilariously, Gwent is full of lootboxes.
What about all those racist, sexist, stolen asset games that are still being sold on Steam to this day? Good guy Valve, huh?

GOG is strict with its sold software, which is mostly a good thing, and tbh that game you brought up eventually went on sale anyway.

I'm not understanding your hypocritical stance here.
nah. Their curation is dreadfully terrible and most of the awesome games they refused were never allowed in. Their curation is garbage.

Last edited:

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I always try to get my games on Steam so they're always in one place. I tend to even forget about other marketplaces. Also, Steam's controller software is so much better than other alternatives that I wouldn't really want to be anywhere but Steam.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
A few thoughts on GOG:

Pros:

- The advantages that lack of DRM brings in general.
- Has (optional) Galaxy client to consolidate all games in one place like Steam's client.
- Depending on region can have better prices for some titles.
- No forced game updates.
- Backup installers per update (I should note for those unfamiliar these are separate standalone full installers, distinct from Galaxy's in-client updater).

??:

- Curated store. Various indie games not accepted by seemingly arbitrary process (some decisions later inexplicably reversed like Cook, Serve Delicious 1 & 2). OTOH cuts a lot of fluff, for better or worse.
- Despite having backup installers per update there's no archive of past installers. Steam actually keeps all past versions if you know what to do.

Cons:

- In general less steep discounts. Some games are priced higher on GOG than Steam.
- Lacks an equivalent hosted Workshop for user created content, which for some games provides much of its value.
- Lacks nearly all of Steam's general community features other than a forum and chat.
- Can't edit your game review (even if your impressions change with an update).
- Galaxy client takes longer to launch in my experience, even on SSD. Its update checking and installation occurs when launched, preventing anything from being accessible until completed.

Everyone's pretty familiar with Steam's strengths but I'll list:

Pros:

- Workshop.
- Marketplace.
- Community features.
- Can download earlier versions of games.

??:

- Not every game uses DRM. However there's nothing that indicates this in the store so its usually only from random user observations that such instances are known making it less easy for those desiring DRM-free purchases to find.

Cons:

- Requires client open to launch games, with some exceptions. General problems people have with DRM.
- Shitty official support.
- Even shittier community support :p (edit: on its own site that is, our Steam community 4eva)

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gog has a shit client compared to Steam. I use GOG only for old games, and Steam for modern games with a lot of updates.

And sometimes my Steam games can transfer to Gog for free via Connect, so win-win.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
A few thoughts on GOG:

Pros:

- The advantages that lack of DRM brings in general.
- Has (optional) Galaxy client to consolidate all games in one place like Steam's client.
- Depending on region can have better prices for some titles.
- Backup installers per update.

??:

- Curated store. Various indie games not accepted by seemingly arbitrary process (some decisions later inexplicably reversed like Cook, Serve Delicious 1 & 2). OTOH cuts a lot of fluff, for better or worse.
- Despite having backup installers per update there's no archive of past installers. Steam actually keeps all past versions if you know what to do.

Cons:

- In general less steep discounts. Some games are priced higher on GOG than Steam.
- Lacks an equivalent hosted Workshop for user created content, which for some games provides much of its value.
- Lacks nearly all of Steam's general community features other than a forum and chat.
- Can't edit your game review (even if your impressions change with an update).
- Galaxy client takes longer to launch in my experience, even on SSD. Its update checking and installation occurs when launched, preventing anything from being accessible until completed.

Everyone's pretty familiar with Steam's strengths but I'll list:

Pros:

- Workshop.
- Marketplace.
- Community features.
- Can download earlier versions of games.

??:

- Not every game uses DRM. However there's nothing that indicates this in the store so its usually only from random user observations that such instances are known making it less easy for those desiring DRM-free purchases to find.

Cons:

- Requires client open to launch games, with some exceptions. General problems people have with DRM.
- Shitty official support.
- Even shittier community support :p (edit: on its own site that is, our Steam community 4eva)

You're missing a major pro/con for gog and Steam.

Gog Pro
Gorgeous UI that includes full web access to library

Steam con
Atrocious UI with almost zero web access to library

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I didn't count bundled or free games, I think my GOG library wouldn't be much smaller than my Steam library. I have many older games on GOG and newer games on Steam. This has changed a bit, though. As to your question. I've been brainwashed.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I go where it's cheaper and usually for me that's Steam. There are a huge number of online stores selling Steam keys and you don't see GOG bundles.

I don't really worry about the DRM as I assume it'll all be cracked anyway by such time a theoretical disaster struck Steam.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm guilty of this and I'm trying to stop. I was buying Steam versions of games just because basically... I just wanted to add to my game count and look at it in my library. Looking at my vast Steam library now, I dread the day when all of it just goes away or becomes unplayable. I realize the major issue with a lot of DRM isn't just that it's a potential drain on resources, it's rolling the dice on the longevity of the product.

I bought Crysis twice on Steam. Both times I got locked out of the game forever because I hit my max install limit. Mind you, I'd only ever installed it on one PC. I just uninstalled and reinstalled every once in a while... on the same computer. The first time was a complete surprise since I had no idea that the game that fucking horrible implementation of DRM. But I wanted to replay Crysis so I bought again and the same thing happened. Since buying it on GoG I don't have any of those fears.

I did it because the games looked good on my "virtual shelf" and they were all in one space. Now, I'm going GOG if the option is available. Pulled the trigger on Dying Light and about to do the same with Shadow Warrior 2. It might feel a little weird since I have Shadow Warrior 1 on Steam but I guess that's a problem I'm just going to learn to live with.

Why would Steam go away?

PC is eternal.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I like to have my games under the same account if possible. I also like the features Steam offers. If I'll just add a non-steam game to my library I obviously don't get to utilize it all.

deadfish

Nov 12, 2017
I buy from gog when available as I like to support drm free and competition is a good thing.. It is getting silly though. I now have steam, gog, origin, uplay, twitch and epic libraries of games... There might actually be a few more. Someone should make a program to tie them all together..

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Most of my PC game library is on Steam and by the time GOG became a platform for contemporary games I wasn't looking to further fragment my library across yet another platform. I'll only buy a game that's attached to another digital library if it's significantly cheaper (in real money terms not %) or if it's just not available on Steam.

I don't see why some people here look at this as an 'excuse' as if it's not a valid argument. Maybe not for them, but it's the same reason I'd rather buy a virtual console game or a remaster of a game I already own on a current system than dig up the old console: ease of use.

Last edited:

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
The excuse most people say is "because I want it all in one place", to that I say create desktop icons for games you regularly play and there ya go. It really is sad people prefer DRM + license agreements over DRM-free with full control and ownership just because the games aren't on 1 singular client. GOG now has Galaxy, with cloud support, achievements and time spent in the game, so there's no excuse.

There are a lot.

On Steam I can use BPM to easily play the games on my TV. Click the Xbox button, Steam BPM opens on my TV.
Regional Pricing
Refunds
Downloadservers in Mainland China
Inside the Steam Overlay I can just open Communityguides and Walkthroughs when Im stuck or collect collectibles.
I can earn some "pocket-change" with Steam trading cards or even "pay" for the game with crates like in PUBG.
I can invite friends to my game just by rightclicking them in most MP games.
With Steam Workshop I can easily install mods right out of the client. Subscribe to one, have one.

Steam is the superior service with far more features than GOG and everyone else.

Last edited:

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
The number one reason why I like steam is that it tracks play time. That is also why i'm starting to use my xbox one more than my os4.

I like knowing how long i've been in game. I find that info useful.

Granted, maybe gog's app does this and i don't know about it. Or ps4 does this too now and i've just missed it.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Arguing over GoG curation is pointless because GoG's curation doesn't work. Every single post mortem we've seen of games that are on GoG has shown that nobody's buying their heavily curated indie games anyway and if people are going DRM free they're going Humble Store, because why wouldn't you when that gives you DRM free + Steam if you want it (and it strikes a better balance curation wise between Steam and GoG). People buy the old stuff and Witcher 3, and that's about it.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
On Steam I can use BPM to easily play the games on my TV. Click the Xbox button, Steam BPM opens on my TV.

A solid feature for sure. GOG also has refunds and an in-game overlay though I have no experience with the former and only enabled the latter once so I'm not familiar with its scope.

The number one reason why I like steam is that it tracks play time. I like knowing how long i've been in game. I find that info useful.

Granted, maybe gog's app does this and i don't know about it. Or ps4 does this too now and i've just missed it.

GOG's client has this as well, but (unfortunately) like Steam it only tracks time played while online not offline.

Arguing over GoG curation is pointless because GoG's curation doesn't work. Every single post mortem we've seen of games that are on GoG has shown that nobody's buying their heavily curated indie games anyway. People buy the old stuff and Witcher 3, and that's about it.

It's a shame the numbers in those cases are apparently so low. I've been buying all my games either on GOG or itch.io when possible for the last couple years.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I simply love what Valve does with VR and therefore I will support Steam in every possible way, GOG is great but they don't compare when it comes to VR support.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Because GoG curation is utter shit and insulting to devs.

Also because they lack a lot of features for library management, big picture mode, steam controller stuff which is amazing or steam workshop. For me, as a user, using GoG is a lesser experience, which on top of that, I dont want to support until they are more respectful toward indie devs.
Same. If I can, I will actively avoid buying games on gog.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i don't really have issues with DRM like you do OP? probably due to the sort of games i play and the sort of company those create/localise being more 'lax' towards DRM. But i have been migrating to GoG simply because it still applies currency conversion whereas Steam has been suggesting publishers to not uphold conversion between Dollar and Euro making buying a $40 dollar game on GoG give me back almost €8 euros to spend on something else.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
A solid feature for sure. GOG also has refunds and an in-game overlay though I have no experience with the former and only enabled the latter once so I'm not familiar with its scope.

Inside the Steam Overlay I can easily browse community guides though. I can also play Music while playing with a button prompt.

Im not sure, but is the GOG Overlay made for controllers?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

GOG's client has this as well, but (unfortunately) like Steam it only tracks time played while online not offline.

It's a shame the numbers in those cases are apparently so low. I've been buying all my games either on GOG or itch.io when possible for the last couple years.
GOG's refund system is not great. It's only for cases where the game outright doesn't work or has gamebreaking bugs.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
Inside the Steam Overlay I can easily browse community guides though. I can also play Music while playing with a button prompt.

Im not sure, but is the GOG Overlay made for controllers?

Someone who uses it might know. Last I tried was during its beta phase but since I'm not a fan of overlays I disabled mine.

The additional content that come with Steam's expansive community like guides and such are one of the various things GOG lacks, more generally including a Workshop-like platform. However there are forum guides for things such as getting older games running but not the variety of things you'd obviously see on Steam's dedicated sections.

Ultimately, if a user is satisfied with what Steam offers there's really little reason to use GOG tbh, it's primarily for those who for one reason or another find value in the benefits GOG brings.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
I have some sort of problem with having all my games in the same place. It became habit after game #150. Now I have 467 games and don't even recognize them. I should stop D:

Ivellios

Oct 27, 2017
The excuse most people say is "because I want it all in one place", to that I say create desktop icons for games you regularly play and there ya go. It really is sad people prefer DRM + license agreements over DRM-free with full control and ownership just because the games aren't on 1 singular client. GOG now has Galaxy, with cloud support, achievements and time spent in the game, so there's no excuse.

Except people do not need to give any excuse for buying their games in the platform of of their choice.

Personally i buy on Steam because its usually where i can find better prices and for convenience, but now that i discovered GoG is avaiable at my country, if there are good sales i might give it a shot as well.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The excuse most people say is "because I want it all in one place", to that I say create desktop icons for games you regularly play and there ya go.

Except I pick and play games from the sortable game list all the time.

It really is sad people prefer DRM + license agreements over DRM-free with full control and ownership just because the games aren't on 1 singular client.

Not nearly one tenth as sad as people crying in a game forum about what videogame launching client perfect strangers use. :D
stop_liking_file.jpg

GOG now has Galaxy, with cloud support, achievements and time spent in the game, so there's no excuse.

"no excuse". :D Sorry, sarcasm is hard to read, I now realize your post was parody.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except I pick and play games from the sortable game list all the time.

Not nearly one tenth as sad as people crying in a game forum about what videogame launching client perfect strangers use. :D
stop_liking_file.jpg

"no excuse". :D Sorry, sarcasm is hard to read, I now realize your post was parody.
It's also a pretty darn silly argument, because one is exactly as bound to license agreements on GOG. They literally sell game "licenses" the same way Steam does. GOG can also ban you and revoke your account, and unless you had backed up every single game you bought there, you lost them just as much as you would on Steam lol