• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I just noticed that Xbox controllers are going to be $40 at Best Buy for Black Friday so I guess if this isn't worked out by then I'll purchase one of those and return this one.

Wait I just ordered the new controller for PC. Will it work if I keep it plugged in and is it just the wireless that is borked?

As far as I could tell a wired connection works fine, so you should be fine there.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
So hey, heads up for anybody looking to buy a Series X controller to use with their PC:

I learned the hard way yesterday that both iOS/tvOS and Steam support are currently busted.

Controller works fine with Game Pass titles (and presumably Microsoft Store games) but once you try to launch anything in Steam the controller doesn't function properly. I haven't tried Epic Game Store or anything else yet.

I'm considering returning it for a Xbox One controller, but those are actually somehow more expensive than the Series X controllers by five dollars.

Guess it's just a waiting game at this point. Really putting a damper on this PC Gaming experience.
thanks for the heads up! I literally was going to go to BB and pickup a controller today. Guess I'll wait a bit

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, picked up one yesterday to use on my PC and Steam doesn't detect the D Pad or the Triggers when using Bluetooth.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
The series controller Dpad is a huge upgrade in comparison to the one. I can see myself actually using it with fighting games.

Edit: After some use I can say that it's my favourite modern dpad along with the PSVita one. My only gripe is that it's extremely loud. Just woke up my GF by playing some Blazblue.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
SFgNg4X.png

It seems like the latest Steam Beta update has a fix for the 2 controller issue with the Series controller. Not sure if this is going to fix the wireless, but worth a try.

Remember to turn "Xbox Controller Configuration" back on if you're giving it a shot, this is a Steam specific fix.

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
So unfortunately bluetooth connectivity is still busted. Nothing like playing twenty minutes of Death Stranding only for the controller to disconnect and then the whole game crashes when you try to alt+tab out of it to play around in bluetooth settings.

Seriously considering just getting a Xbox One controller while they're on sale. I figure I can pick up one of those phone clips as well and maybe finally give Steam Link a whirl, since the Series controllers don't work with iOS yet either.

Should I just be patient and wait for fixes to come down the pipeline or try something else completely? The USB-C port, added grip, and (apparently) superior D-Pad are nice but if the controller doesn't operate otherwise those all seem like moot points.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So unfortunately bluetooth connectivity is still busted. Nothing like playing twenty minutes of Death Stranding only for the controller to disconnect and then the whole game crashes when you try to alt+tab out of it to play around in bluetooth settings.

Seriously considering just getting a Xbox One controller while they're on sale. I figure I can pick up one of those phone clips as well and maybe finally give Steam Link a whirl, since the Series controllers don't work with iOS yet either.

Should I just be patient and wait for fixes to come down the pipeline or try something else completely? The USB-C port, added grip, and (apparently) superior D-Pad are nice but if the controller doesn't operate otherwise those all seem like moot points.
Why not buy the better controller and use it wired in the meantime until the Bluetooth is fixed?

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Why not buy the better controller and use it wired in the meantime until the Bluetooth is fixed?

That's what I'm doing now, and it works, but isn't ideal. I just wish there some kind of timeframe on the whole thing. If I'm looking at a month or two, I guess I can bide my time, but if we're looking at six months to a year if not longer, I'm wasting my time with the Series X|S controller.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's what I'm doing now, and it works, but isn't ideal. I just wish there some kind of timeframe on the whole thing. If I'm looking at a month or two, I guess I can bide my time, but if we're looking at six months to a year if not longer, I'm wasting my time with the Series X|S controller.
I honestly can't see it taking 6+ months for it to get fixed. Even during a pandemic

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
After using the series controller on my PC and dealing with all of the issues that it has, I went back to my XB1 controller (and 360 controller when the XB1 controller screws up). I'll go back to the series controller at some point, but for now it needs some work... at least on PC.

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
So in the last 48 hours multiple Steam Beta Client Updates, new Bluetooth & Wi-Fi drivers, and a supplemental/roll-up Windows 10 update dropped and were installed and I'm happy to say that my controller worked for a solid 90 minutes tonight without a disconnect.

I'm not ready to call it 100% fixed but it's definitely promising. Now if Apple could just get their shit together we'll be in business.

Last edited:

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Simple question, ResetEra users:

Buying a Xbox controller to play PC games with. Am I okay with the current "Xbox One" controller at $50 or are the changes significant enough on the "Series" controller enough to warrant waiting another month and paying an extra $10?

I heard the build is slightly better and feels nicer - though that could be subjective. I would get it for USB-C alone.

I hope iOS support works soon.

Didn't they announce it will work on iOS out of the box? Does it not do that?

I was planning to get it and this is one of the factors.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
As I said a month ago - don't wait up for a fix on the bluetooth. Elite series 2 here, more than a year+ old, no fixes at all. Either get the wireless adapter or play it wired. There's no other way honestly.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I can't imagine needed a dedicated screenshot button.

A "better" D-Pad sounds nice, but it all depends on whether the existing D-Pad is "bad" or not.
XBO D-pad is great, and quieter, although I do prefer the XSX D-pad overall.

The dedicated screenshot button doesn't need to be for screenshots, you could remap it to something useful for your needs. For example, holding it down could put your PC in standby, or switching audio inputs, useful for couch gaming.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing with the dualsense on PC (and loving the controller), I was curious about the new series S controller, and was thinking about buying one to really taste both new next gen controllers, but .... Very surprised by this thread. Could not imagine that a microsoft pad would be more problematic than a Sony one (be it through Steam or DS4 windows, its working flawless).

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
As I said a month ago - don't wait up for a fix on the bluetooth. Elite series 2 here, more than a year+ old, no fixes at all. Either get the wireless adapter or play it wired. There's no other way honestly.
Wireless adapter is great. Never misses a beat for me, you can easily connect multiple controllers, sends audio out the headphone jack in high quality and low latency, and allows the impulse triggers to work on supported games. It's a no-brainer really.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using a wired 360 controller with my laptop for a while. Does the One, Series X, or PS5 controller support wired functionality in any way? Like, can I plug it in via it's charging cable, etc.? I'd like to not worry about charging my controller with the setup I have right now.

Valanarro

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using a wired 360 controller with my laptop for a while. Does the One, Series X, or PS5 controller support wired functionality in any way? Like, can I plug it in via it's charging cable, etc.? I'd like to not worry about charging my controller with the setup I have right now.
they all do, but the ps5 controller may need some additional software via dswindows or steam controller

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Does anyone else with the new controller feel like the Share button is in a stupid place? I've probably taken 4 or 5 accidental screenshots so far while going for the View and Menu buttons. Argh.

At least, I wish it was the same size as the View and Menu buttons so that it wasn't such a big target.

FourSerioux

Nov 1, 2017
I'd say either the One or Series controller is fine; I find nothing offensive about the D-Pad on the One variant, so if it saves you a few bucks I'd probably go that route.

That said, I certainly will echo others' sentiment to get the wireless adapter; bluetooth is awful for this.

Fat Dad

Prophet of Regret
Nov 28, 2017
I heard the build is slightly better and feels nicer - though that could be subjective. I would get it for USB-C alone.

Didn't they announce it will work on iOS out of the box? Does it not do that?

I was planning to get it and this is one of the factors.

This is the latest update we have about it:
Microsoft and Apple are working together to bring compatibility for the Xbox Series X controller to customers in a future update.
Hopefully soon. I haven't tried my controller yet on my iPad because I assumed it isn't working yet.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Does anyone else with the new controller feel like the Share button is in a stupid place? I've probably taken 4 or 5 accidental screenshots so far while going for the View and Menu buttons. Argh.

At least, I wish it was the same size as the View and Menu buttons so that it wasn't such a big target.
Same lol

OT get it for usbc. usbc is life. and the d pad is surprisingly good!

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020

I just recently bought one of the new Series controllers to replace an older one, and it definitely feels a lot nicer. Buttons feel about the same but the D-pad is a lot clickier and there's texture around the sticks, triggers, and grip. I recommend it.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wish they'd update the xbox one controller for the new dpad and share button, but leave everything else the same. I don't really like the smaller size or the sandpaper grip.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Didn't know the new controller has been very problematic for people on different setups, and I've been recommending it to everyone, whoops. I got one a few weeks back and just synced it to my very old wireless adapter, updated the firmware and it's been working flawlessly on everything I play. Can't go back to the xb1 one, all the new textures feel so nice, the bumpers feel much better to use and that amazing dpad makes navigating menus really enjoyable.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Either is fine, but I think the Series version is an improvement in most areas. Excellent D-pad, better build quality, better finish on the plastic, and USB-C vs. micro. The shape of the grips was adjusted and overall it's very slightly smaller than the XB1 controller, but I have big hands and don't find it any less comfortable.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The xbox one dpad is much better than the new series x one. Dont understand why they changed this... its so much notable when playing mk11 how bad this dpad actual is

Oct 30, 2017
I just got a gaming laptop and needed a bluetooth controller for it. I prefer Dualshock dpad placement but it wasn't on sale and the Series X/S controller was. During setup I also had issues with Bluetooth, it wouldn't recognize the trigger inputs. spent a day googling how to fix it and a reddit thread prompted me to do all the Windows Updates, it worked. that said, I find the slope of the controller sharper than DS4 which is a downgrade for me, I like to go wide. haven't played a game where I use dpad for movement yet but it seems pretty good. very loud button clicks, it'll take me a while to stop hearing them

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Wireless adapter is great. Never misses a beat for me, you can easily connect multiple controllers, sends audio out the headphone jack in high quality and low latency, and allows the impulse triggers to work on supported games. It's a no-brainer really.

Glad the wireless adapter is working for you, but "Spend an extra $25 to get your $60 controller working properly" isn't a suitable solution. It's not like bluetooth is some new, unproven technology. I've got both a wireless mouse and airpods connected to my PC via bluetooth and neither skip a beat, but for some reason the Xbox controller is just flat-out busted at the moment.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just get that Series controller, just for the better dpad AND usb type c cable alone.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
IMO the wireless adapter is the better choice just because bluetooth has noticeable amounts of latency when I've tried it with the One S/X, Elite 2, and Series controllers.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
The only problem I have with the controller is, that it only remember various devices if you are using Bluetooth. If you are using the Adapter you have to sync the controller everytime you change from a platform to another. That said, with the One Controller I had serious Bluetooth issues, like cracking sound in assassins creed games that are fixed with this new controller so no a big deal for me.

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

So I ended up giving up and buying the wireless adapter, back in February since it doesn't look like Microsoft is super concerned with fixing the bluetooth connectivity of their controllers.

It's worked well so far, but for the last couple of days I've been getting audio stuttering and crackling over the 3.5mm headphone jack, as if the controller is have difficulty maintaining connection. I was concerned it was something wrong with the audio output of the computer itself, but it's never happened with audio being piped to my TV speakers or through the Airpods I often use with the computer.

And then last night it started dropping the connection outright, multiple times. Xbox logo on the controller blinks, then dies. Give it about 30 seconds or so and the connection is resumed.

Man this is frustrating. I moved the wireless adapter from the rear of the computer (I was hoping to "hide" it there) to the front USB ports, thinking maybe the computer case itself would be causing some kind of interference. Haven't put it through its paces yet to see if that's fixed things yet though.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So I ended up giving up and buying the wireless adapter, back in February since it doesn't look like Microsoft is super concerned with fixing the bluetooth connectivity of their controllers.

It's worked well so far, but for the last couple of days I've been getting audio stuttering and crackling over the 3.5mm headphone jack, as if the controller is have difficulty maintaining connection. I was concerned it was something wrong with the audio output of the computer itself, but it's never happened with audio being piped to my TV speakers or through the Airpods I often use with the computer.

And then last night it started dropping the connection outright, multiple times. Xbox logo on the controller blinks, then dies. Give it about 30 seconds or so and the connection is resumed.

Man this is frustrating. I moved the wireless adapter from the rear of the computer (I was hoping to "hide" it there) to the front USB ports, thinking maybe the computer case itself would be causing some kind of interference. Haven't put it through its paces yet to see if that's fixed things yet though.
Strange. Make sure the adapter isn't sharing a USB bus with any other device. eg on the back of your motherboard you'll have "pairs" of USB connectors, note each pair shares power etc. Same for your case USB connectors. Same thing happens with a wireless USB keyboard and mouse - you'll find that the wireless range reduces dramatically if the dongle shares a bus with a high power device such as a USB drive.

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Strange. Make sure the adapter isn't sharing a USB bus with any other device. eg on the back of your motherboard you'll have "pairs" of USB connectors, note each pair shares power etc. Same for your case USB connectors. Same thing happens with a wireless USB keyboard and mouse - you'll find that the wireless range reduces dramatically if the dongle shares a bus with a high power device such as a USB drive.

The only USB devices I have plugged in are the USB receiver for the controller and a USB receiver for the Logitech keyboard I use.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The only USB devices I have plugged in are the USB receiver for the controller and a USB receiver for the Logitech keyboard I use.
Ok just make sure the receiver for the keyboard is on another bus I guess. No idea why else you'd be having issues sadly. Have you tried re-pairing it? Hopefully a move to another USB port and a re-pairing will solve your issues 🤞🏻

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard people talking about audio problems with the controller, but I've never used it, so I couldn't tell you what's up with that. I've had the SX controller for a while now, using the wireless adapter. I was apparently having problems with it, but it ended up being the USB hub I was using. Since replacing that, I haven't had a single issue with it. No drops or anything like that. And I am running it through a hub, it seems perfectly happy to work that way.

Does it work fine if you're not trying to run audio through it?

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I've heard people talking about audio problems with the controller, but I've never used it, so I couldn't tell you what's up with that. I've had the SX controller for a while now, using the wireless adapter. I was apparently having problems with it, but it ended up being the USB hub I was using. Since replacing that, I haven't had a single issue with it. No drops or anything like that. And I am running it through a hub, it seems perfectly happy to work that way.

Does it work fine if you're not trying to run audio through it?

Nah, disconnected about a half-dozen times last night within a 30 minute span, without headphones connected.

I wonder if this has anything to do with AMD's current chipset USB issues.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, disconnected about a half-dozen times last night within a 30 minute span, without headphones connected.

I wonder if this has anything to do with AMD's current chipset USB issues.
Maybe. I'm running Intel. Do you have one of the chips affected by that connectivity problem?

It's a shame, it's really a hell of a controller.. hehe. And the wireless adapter is supposed to eliminate connectivity issues, not cause them.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I was unimpressed with the Core Controller but if you have the wireless adapter It's worth it for USB-C. As a Bluetooth controller to move between devices it still has connection issues and missing features Just like the Xbox One variants did. Really disappointing compared to just using a PS5 or Switch Pro controller.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10

I've had this problem before and one of my batteries had gone bad. Put a brand new pair in and it worked fine.

My only issue with the XB controller and adapter on PC is that occasionally, maybe once a month or so, the controller and adapter will just stop talking to each other completely. The only fix is to move the adapter to another USB port where it will work fine. Then in a month or two it will happen again and I can move it back to the first port and it will work fine again. Weird but the fix is so quick (now that I know what to do) it doesn't bother me much.