Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Beat it a couple nights ago, and really enjoyed it.

My only real qualm is that the vast majority of weapons and items might as well have not existed. There were few puzzles that required anything, and they are completely unneeded to progress through the dungeons.

Still, great game, but it misses Zelda points for that.

A lot of the game seems tuned for permadeath mode and multiple runs, and one of the most lovely things is that since the order you get the items in is randomized, many puzzles can be solved with multiple items. However, as a result, you will often default to the first few items you get. It's only through multiple runs that you're forced to think of creative uses for most of the items. Except the leaf. That thing is useless. :D

In more general terms, the game was a 7.5 for me the first time I finished it (too short, and too easy), but has become a 9.8/10 after getting utterly addicted to permadeath mode. It would be a 10/10 if the difficulty curve wasn't so hard at the beginning and so easy by the end (cardboard accidents notwithstanding), but that makes the beginning minutes more strategic as you pick your battles and slowly grow more powerful (the dominant strategy seems to pretty much complete the overworld before tackling dungeons).

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Was there a demo for this on the Japan eShop? I thought I saw people mention it in this thread. When I go to the product page, there's only the option to purchase or add to wishlist.

Only for the original game. If you have trouble finding Crypt of The NecroDancer on the Japan eShop, just select Cadence of Hyrule page and select the publisher (below the game name) and it'll will list CotND as well.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Only for the original game. If you have trouble finding Crypt of The NecroDancer on the Japan eShop, just select Cadence of Hyrule page and select the publisher (below the game name) and it'll will list CotND as well.

Oh, ok. Thank for the info. I already own Necrodancer, though. I just wanted to play a demo of Cadence so I can check out the awesome music.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picked this game up with some gold coins and a few bucks and holy hell...

I was not expecting to be this addicted. I just played almost 5 hours straight, pretty sure I'm close to finishing the game already. I wish there was more to it, but I guess I'll just have to settle for another playthrough!

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
So I finished the game. What was I supposed to do with the Deku seeds? I got everything else. And I'm missing 2 hearts as well.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I started playing the original Crypt of the NecroDancer today and I am legitimately angry that I hadn't played it sooner.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Take em to Tingle. It'll unlock two things. I forgot the first thing, but the second thing it unlocks is a new character.
Cool, that did it. I didn't even know there was a whole playable character I was missing. But with 1 HP, maybe not. I've still got 1 seed left over.
I'm still missing 2 heart pieces now. I think I've gotten everything else at this point.

dabbling

Dec 3, 2018
Cool, that did it. I didn't even know there was a whole playable character I was missing. But with 1 HP, maybe not. I've still got 1 seed left over.
I'm still missing 2 heart pieces now. I think I've gotten everything else at this point.

The leftover seed is just so your inventory looks nice and full when you've got every item.

If you have the charm that shows heart pieces on the map but you don't currently see any, the two you missed are probably in shops within dungeons.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
So there's a chest that for the life of me, I can't figure out how to reach.

It's in a cave in the desert by the dungeon. There are a bunch of lava pits, some diggable walls that look like an H, and a sliding block on an isolated elevated platform I can't reach.
Bombs, bombs, BOMBS!

Or bombchus

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017

I can't figure out how to get this chest open for the life of me. The Deku Scrub is up on a ledge and I can't jump up there at all and he won't come out because we're not on the same level.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia

I can't figure out how to get this chest open for the life of me. The Deku Scrub is up on a ledge and I can't jump up there at all and he won't come out because we're not on the same level.

Do you have Zelda? Try using Din's fire, I've read it can hit enemies at any height. (Actually I think bombs might be able to do that too, though I'm not 100% on that).

Oct 27, 2017
I have two heart pieces and an item left to get in a Link only run. There's a section of the final dungeon I don't think I can do because of the floor tiles that block Link don't remember if one of them is in there.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
There's nothing to jump off of though...

Wait, can you use the Sword Thrust and Feather to pogo off enemies!?
YEP.

It's actually situationally very useful in perma-death mode!

For example, fighting Gomorraca's: 6-8 mini-monster's swarming you? If you don't have a good weapon, like Thunder Arrows + Great Bow, you can pogo them to death since they're so dense! The game doesn't tell you this, but you're cosidered to be on the next highest level when pogoing enemies, so this tends to make you boarderline invincible when executing it. IF there are enough enemies around to chain them together, which really only happens in the later part of permadeath mode.

But yeah, the feather can actually be useful once you get Sword Thrust.

Anuiran

Oct 27, 2017
I just found out you can catch fish in this game which was a surprise. But man I am really hoping for some DLC for this game, I would love a proper rogue like mode. Just make an endless dungeon of more and more difficult floors.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Finished it over the weekend. The first half hour I felt like a complete moron who has no motor skills and sense of rhythm whatsoever, then it suddenly clicked (and actually became kind of easy) and I fell in love with it. Only major complaint I have is that it would have benefited from a bit more variety and puzzles towards the end. Apart from that probably the best non-mainline Zelda I've ever played and the soundtrack really is a 10/10. Probably gonna start a second run with a different character just to see how much the random generator changes the world layout (couldn't find a couple of items in my playthrough)

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
YEP.

For example, fighting Gomorraca's: 6-8 mini-monster's swarming you? If you don't have a good weapon, like Thunder Arrows + Great Bow, you can pogo them to death since they're so dense! The game doesn't tell you this, but you're cosidered to be on the next highest level when pogoing enemies, so this tends to make you boarderline invincible when executing it. IF there are enough enemies around to chain them together, which really only happens in the later part of permadeath mode.

Turns out Pogo Jumping was the way to go.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
YEP.

Nice! I used the down thrust occassionaly to cross gaps (there's a couple obvious ones in Death Mountain), and I knew you could jump on enemies with the Rito feather, but somehow never made the connection that enemies counted as a half-height and you could pogo off them up one level. thischangeseverything.gif

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Turns out Pogo Jumping was the way to go.

Nice! I used the down thrust occassionaly to cross gaps (there's a couple obvious ones in Death Mountain), and I knew you could jump on enemies with the Rito feather, but somehow never made the connection that enemies counted as a half-height and you could pogo off them up one level. thischangeseverything.gif
Glad to be of help!

Personally, I'm more into the camp of: It can get you out of tight corners late game in Permadeath mode; you can pogo entire enemy mobs to death. Sadly, The Great Bow Thunder Arrow is usually the more practical item (It is over powered as crud!), but occasional it is useful in combat.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
Can anyone point me to where Cadence draws inspiration for its Death Mountain music? Trying to nail down which game it came from and just can't.

Oct 27, 2017
Beat 2 dungeons, just got to Kakariko village, OMG this music. I love the village theme. I need to find it outside of the game it's beautiful. Is the soundtrack available anywhere?

I'm in the ruins in the village and I've cleared all monsters and the ghost guys, I'm not seeing any way to progress, what am I missing? Am I supposed to use the Hibiscus Potion?

Last edited:

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
It's amusing how Gerudo Valley is probably one of the most beloved and remixed songs in Zelda history but to my knowledge, Nintendo has never used it any other Zelda game.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Beat 2 dungeons, just got to Kakariko village, OMG this music. I love the village theme. I need to find it outside of the game it's beautiful. Is the soundtrack available anywhere?

I'm in the ruins in the village and I've cleared all monsters and the ghost guys, I'm not seeing any way to progress, what am I missing? Am I supposed to use the Hibiscus Potion?
Only youtube for now (it's posted in this thread). As for the hibiscus potion,
yes you use it to wake up your counterpart character

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just downloaded and started playing this on a flight, and I didn't really get it. I think you need a guide or to watch a YouTube video. It fucking sucks that you can't use the sword when you want. And I don't get why when I jump at a guy he hits me sometimes. Why am I not attacking him? Because I timed it wrong or because if we both jump at each other directly he gets the hit for some reason? Shits not clear at all, there should be some kind of practice room where you can test out each enemy. Instead I keep dying and gotta restart over and over and clear the same areas over and over without really every learning how it actually works. I do realize I'm an idiot, but I didn't find it clear at all how it works and who gets to hit whom in which case. Doesn't help that as soon as you get Link each area has at least 3-4 different enemy types. Makes it hard to figure out how each one works. Not a good first impression.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just downloaded and started playing this on a flight, and I didn't really get it. I think you need a guide or to watch a YouTube video. It fucking sucks that you can't use the sword when you want. And I don't get why when I jump at a guy he hits me sometimes. Why am I not attacking him? Because I timed it wrong or because if we both jump at each other directly he gets the hit for some reason? Shits not clear at all, there should be some kind of practice room where you can test out each enemy. Instead I keep dying and gotta restart over and over and clear the same areas over and over without really every learning how it actually works. I do realize I'm an idiot, but I didn't find it clear at all how it works and who gets to hit whom in which case. Doesn't help that as soon as you get Link each area has at least 3-4 different enemy types. Makes it hard to figure out how each one works. Not a good first impression.

Every enemy has a movement and attack pattern. Some move in straight lines, some diagonally, some only move every other turn etc. Most of them also have visual hints like raising their arm or crouching before they attack. If you move into a square they are about to attack, or stay in a square they are about to attack. You get hit. It's pretty clear cut my man. I found the combat very intuitive. Also, why on earth do you want to swing your sword at nothing? The game auto swings your sword any time you would need it to...

I don't mean to sound mean, I just found this entire post very strange.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Every enemy has a movement and attack pattern. Some move in straight lines, some diagonally, some only move every other turn etc. Most of them also have visual hints like raising their arm or crouching before they attack. If you move into a square they are about to attack, or stay in a square they are about to attack. You get hit. It's pretty clear cut my man. I found the combat very intuitive. Also, why on earth do you want to swing your sword at nothing? The game auto swings your sword any time you would need it to...

I don't mean to sound mean, I just found this entire post very strange.

I wanna swing my sword cuz it's zelda my man. It looks like lttp, of course I wanna cut some shit. Didn't seem intuitive to me. If I line up to jump at a moblin I expect to hit a moblin, but I'm obviously not playing it right.

And like I said I would expect them to introduce 1 maybe 2 enemies per screen (area?), but they drop you in with moblins and slimes (that split) and the spider water bug things and some other shot there are just a lot of enemies to try to figure out st once. Maybe I should have gone a different direction. I don't know. Just didn't seem like a good game to try to figure out while on a plane.

Another thing, the beat timer at the bottom makes you wanna look at that, but then you aren't looking at the enemies and the patterns. Seems like it'd be easier to time the beat if maybe the 4 corners of the screen had a beat indicator of some kind, so you can just kind of absorb the whole thing and not focus at the bottom. I assume you can just forget that metronome at the bottom once you get the hang of the game though yea?

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Another thing, the beat timer at the bottom makes you wanna look at that, but then you aren't looking at the enemies and the patterns. Seems like it'd be easier to time the beat if maybe the 4 corners of the screen had a beat indicator of some kind, so you can just kind of absorb the whole thing and not focus at the bottom. I assume you can just forget that metronome at the bottom once you get the hang of the game though yea?

Basically it just helps you initially find the rhythm. Once you enter a new room nothing moves until you do, so you have a bit of time to get a handle on the beat. Once you're able to maintain it you can pretty safely ignore the metronome. In the original Necrodancer I ended up turning it off once I'd gotten a handle on all the tracks, but there's no such option in Cadence of Hyrule.

In some sense, a lot of the initial difficulty comes down to your sense of rhythm. If you can identify and maintain a steady beat fairly easily then you've got a major head start over someone who has difficulty with that.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And like I said I would expect them to introduce 1 maybe 2 enemies per screen (area?), but they drop you in with moblins and slimes (that split) and the spider water bug things and some other shot there are just a lot of enemies to try to figure out st once. Maybe I should have gone a different direction. I don't know. Just didn't seem like a good game to try to figure out while on a plane.

Well at the start of the game you are going to die, probably a number of times. I think I died about 15 times at the start of the game, and then not once the entire last half of the game. It is a Rogue-Lite style game, so learning by death is part of the process. I guess it could have been nice to have the game start of by only having one or two enemies on a screen, but honestly after I had been playing for an hour or two, had upgraded my hearts and gotten a better weapon the game was actually almost too easy for me.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I'm trying to 100% my save file, but I can't for the life of me find the Great Bow. I'm very sure that there are no purple chests left marked on the map - any pointers for where else the bow might be? I have everything else aside from the Quiver, which I'll get once I have the Great Bow.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to 100% my save file, but I can't for the life of me find the Great Bow. I'm very sure that there are no purple chests left marked on the map - any pointers for where else the bow might be? I have everything else aside from the Quiver, which I'll get once I have the Great Bow.

I'm pretty sure I got the great bow from a boss monster drop (the skull icons). I could be wrong, though.