delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Players caught cheating in Call of Duty can now be punished with a penalty that makes them unable to see their opponents, a new anti-cheat mitigation feature that Activision calls "cloaking."

Cheaters who are subject to a cloaking penalty will find that "characters, bullets, even sound from legitimate players will be undetectable," according to a post on the official Call of Duty development blog. Those cheaters will remain fully visible to non-cheaters, though; Activision quips that "they'll be the players you see spinning in circles hollering, 'Who is shooting me?!'"
The latest anti-cheat update will roll out first for Call of Duty: Vanguard, then be applied to the free-to-play Warzone, Activision says, "to minimize any issues players may encounter." It also comes on top of another cheating mitigation measure, called Damage Shield, that was announced in February and "disables the cheater's ability to inflict critical damage on other players."
You might think that Activision would be better served just banning cheaters and booting them from a match as soon as they're detected, rather than merely messing with their effectiveness. But Activision wrote in February that instant mitigation "leaves the cheater vulnerable to real players and allows [the anti-cheat team] to collect information about a cheater's system." Activision also insists that there's "no possibility" of a false positive punishing non-cheaters with mitigation drawbacks and that it "will never interfere in gunfights between law-abiding community members."

After Damage Shield debuted in February, Activision said it noted "a decline in cheat reporting," but "we know the work is never done." The company also says it continues with "testing and deploying a variety of new mitigation and detection techniques," some of which players haven't noticed en masse yet.

arstechnica.com

Call of Duty cheaters are being struck blind by anti-cheat software

"Cloaking" mitigation makes cheaters unable to see opponents, incoming bullets.

Cheat me if old.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Something I was curious about before is why Windows/Xbox don't team up to develop their own anticheat built into Windows that any game can use. I imagine every Xbox studio that does an online game will probably use their own and Halo is struggling currently. It seems like such an obvious thing.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Something I was curious about before is why Windows/Xbox don't team up to develop their own anticheat built into Windows that any game can use. I imagine every Xbox studio that does an online game will probably use their own and Halo is struggling currently. It seems like such an obvious thing.

So basically a kernel level anti-cheat that was soooo popular when Valorant did it.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
I thought there would be some flashing or something that was affecting vision in reality. Glad it's not.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
They waited Windows 10 to have a real antivirus solution, one thing at a time.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I was imagining some crazy use of HDR to literally blind players.

image.png

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
But it didn't hamper Valorant's growth or success? If every game decided to do a kernel level cheat, it would suck having them all up at the same time vs a unified one that runs with Windows.

It's hard to say how many didn't install the game because of it, but I know it was one of the reasons I uninstalled the game because it was acting wonky on my PC.

And while I don't want to have a bunch of different random kernel level programs running with every game, I also wouldn't trust Microsoft to have one that they maintain and keep updated. If hackers only have a single popular anti-cheat software that they need to get around, it would also be much easier to create some undetectable cheats that would go undetected for longer most likely.

Uiki

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't get the point.
They can obviously flag them.. what's the point in keeping these people in a match?

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
It's hard to say how many didn't install the game because of it, but I know it was one of the reasons I uninstalled the game because it was acting wonky on my PC.

And while I don't want to have a bunch of different random kernel level programs running with every game, I also wouldn't trust Microsoft to have one that they maintain and keep updated. If hackers only have a single popular anti-cheat software that they need to get around, it would also be much easier to create some undetectable cheats that would go undetected for longer most likely.
I think it would be a bit different than just Microsoft Windows team. It is in the best interest of Xbox Game Studios, Bethesda, and in the future Activision Blizzard to make sure its up to date and works well and it can probably be supported by Azure Gaming. It just seems like such a good solution for anti cheat all around?

Instead of COD, Overwatch, Halo, etc., making their own anti cheats, they work together on a central Windows one 🤷‍♂️Idk if that's too pie in the sky though

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
So by "makes legitimate players invisible" they mean it's not syncing players to their client, right?

Because if not, then an aimbot or wallhack that is parsing Memory won't have any fucks to give about them not being rendered.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
lol
I love anti-cheat features that troll cheaters
knowing some cheater out there has a rage quit due to that is hilarious

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I don't play any of these games but I have my popcorn ready for the videos of cheater streamers getting confused about dying and not seeing enemies lol

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I don't play any of these games but I have my popcorn ready for the videos of cheater streamers getting confused about dying and not seeing enemies lol
there was already video of their first layer of anti-cheat back in February. A twitch streamer noticed someone couldnt kill them and he, in turn, killed the cheater due to cheater shield. Was pretty hype.

You love to see it.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I still don't get the point.
They can obviously flag them.. what's the point in keeping these people in a match?
Imagine reading the OP:

You might think that Activision would be better served just banning cheaters and booting them from a match as soon as they're detected, rather than merely messing with their effectiveness. But Activision wrote in February that instant mitigation "leaves the cheater vulnerable to real players and allows [the anti-cheat team] to collect information about a cheater's system." Activision also insists that there's "no possibility" of a false positive punishing non-cheaters with mitigation drawbacks and that it "will never interfere in gunfights between law-abiding community members."

Uiki

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine reading the OP:

And we all know that.... they keep repeating the same things since ricochet launch. But it clearly doesn't work, while still ruining the game for everyone. The couple of games needed for a cheater to realize they can't see shit are not worth the amount of basically bots you get in high level games. And yes, they are ruining the matches anyway.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
And we all know that.... they keep repeating the same things since ricochet launch. But it clearly doesn't work, while still ruining the game for everyone. The couple of games needed for a cheater to realize they can't see shit are not worth the amount of basically bots you get in high level games. And yes, they are ruining the matches anyway.
If they're detected, then they won't be doing any harm due to the player cloaking. If the server can't detect certain cheaters then they won't be getting thrown out anyway.

AM_LIGHT

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Until they implement crossplay option between consoles only I am out .
The majority of cheaters are on the PC side ruining it for everyone else.