• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Opencritic: 76

IGN 7/10
Call of Duty Vanguard's highly polished campaign provides a healthy amount of fun, even if its brief length and lack of variety lead it to fall short of the classic pieces of war cinema it's trying to emulate. [OpenCritic note: IGN is separately reviewing the campaign, multiplayer, and zombies modes. Their scores will be combined when finalized.]

Eurogamer
Vanguard won't join the pantheon of Call of Duty games, but it's a decent stop-gap for those waiting for Modern Warfare's return.

GameInformer 8/10
Vanguard is an overall solid pick with a lackluster campaign, a nascent but incredibly promising zombies experience, and multiplayer with a few critical new aspects.

Gamespot 7/10
Tweaks in multiplayer and Zombies advance the Call of Duty franchise overall, and an emphasis on distinct characters makes Vanguard's story fun, but it doesn't always mix well with the series' gameplay.

Gamesbeat
Call of Duty: Vanguard is a balanced game across the vectors of historical interest, good gameplay, variety, and a strong narrative. It ties everything together in a competent way that makes sense. That doesn't mean it's a spectacular game on the order of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, which was a breakthrough game for the franchise because of its thoughtfulness and disturbing material. This is a good installment, but the stutter in combat makes me wonder if it's as polished as it should be.

PlayStation Lifestyle 8.5/10
As a complete package, from a Call of Duty developer that hasn't yet established its own Modern Warfare or Black Ops sub-franchise, Vanguard feels like it could end up being Sledgehammer's tentpole. Iconic characters, unique multiplayer and map design, and overall integration into the wider Call of Duty experience set the pace for not only the next year, but whatever comes next from Sledgehammer.

PCGamesN 8/10
Opting for pulp fantasy over Spielbergian reverence for the era, Vanguard reinvigorates the World War II setting and charts a new path forward.

PC Gamer 60/100
CoD's multiplayer is as dependable as ever, but Vanguard's campaign and Zombies mode fail to capitalise on what could be interesting ideas.

Game Rant 4/5
Call of Duty: Vanguard will get better with time, but the launch game is still an impressive package. The Campaign is short but sweet and the Multiplayer is a blast, though Zombies fans will likely come away disappointed. Even with Zombies failing to live up to expectations, though, Call of Duty: Vanguard still has a lot to offer fans of the franchise and is very much worth the price of admission.

Windows Central 3/5
Call of Duty: Vanguard's campaign and multiplayer are serviceable enough, but nothing exceptional for the series, while Zombies is disappointingly limited in scope and ideas.

Push Square 7/10
Call of Duty: Vanguard is another incredibly solid but also super safe instalment in the series. Its campaign may be over in a hurry but it's still a fairly memorable one, featuring good characters and outstanding visuals. Multiplayer is another robust package, hosting a ton of content and the promise of more to come. The less said about Zombies the better, but this is a Call of Duty game doing Call of Duty things. Whether that's of any interest or not, you likely already know.

EGM 6/10
Call of Duty: Vanguard sometimes strains under the pressure of fulfilling its obligations to the all-consuming Warzone platform that the series has become. Vanguard's Gunsmith and Operators might dictate the game's World War II fiction in weird and hilarious ways, but it can still offer the same thrills you'd expect. Still, there's no denying that Vanguard feels like a watered down entry for the franchise, which is now more motivated by microtransactions than by telling a compelling World War II narrative.

Metro 7/10
A reliable entry full of variety and worthwhile content, that simultaneously leaves an aroma of staleness that is beginning to taint the whole Call Of Duty franchise.

Last edited:

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
A "stop gap" game is a nope for me with halo and battlefield this year

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Graphically and sound-wise the campaign looks fantastic, but I'll prob just play it on my cousin's PS5 cuz I know he will end up with the game and that'll save me $60-70 lol. Really wish they went a little further with a unique campaign structure though judging these reviews.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Not sure I'll rush into buying this one. Sledgehammer's last WWII campaign was really underwhelming to me. If it was campaign-only I'd probably get it for $30.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
TIL there is a CoD game coming out this year. Somehow I've completely avoided any news of it.

If it was campaign-only I'd probably get it for $30.

And this is how I've felt about the series since Modern Warfare 2, which is why I haven't touched the series since Modern Warfare 2. The campaigns were fun, but I never really got into the multiplayer part of it.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Game screamed stop gap from day 1. Seems most of the focus is being put towards MWII for next year.

I thought the beta was pretty mid, but most of the notable CoD heads are praising MP. I'll wait for impressions once the honeymoon period is over.

Zombies apparently isn't great at launch, and the campaign doesn't seem particularly noteworthy this year either. This is still a skip or a wait for me.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
1. Fuck Activision

2. Lmfao phew, they REALLY are pissing off their Zombies fan base with this one. Seemingly worse and worse every iteration
List of every downgrade and removed feature Vanguard zombies has compared to Cold War at launch

>No round based map, interviews suggest none are coming

>No side mode like dead ops

>No main Easter egg

>No side Easter eggs

>No wonder weapon

>No Pack a punch camo

>5 perks, less than CW, none are new

>4 field upgrades, none are new

>No scorestreaks

>No crystal upgrade system, meaning nothing to grind for except camos, and every perk and field upgrade is stuck at the 'tier 1' equivalent in CW

>No skill trees for each weapon class

>No skill trees for ammo mods

>No wallbuys

>No separate weapon rarity system so you could have 2 different paths to upgrade your guns

>Outbreak point system for killing zombies

>The 5 perks cost 75,000 points in total, perks at max level are still far weaker than their counterparts in CW (with the Sprint speed of Stamin up being the outlier). Best example is max level jug in Vanguard giving you the same amount of health that base tier jug does in CW

>Covenant system is just perk and skill tree tiers from CW ported into a shitty rng system where you can only have 3 at a time

>2 ammo mods, neither are new

>Can't apply ammo mods via pack a punch

>Ammo mods don't do increased damage to certain enemies

I'm probably missing some but yeah, it's pretty grim

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I thought the beta was pretty mid, but most of the notable CoD heads are praising MP.
I mean that's just how it goes, especially when they know there's peak viewership at stake. You play the same game for a full year and the new one releases so you've got new weapons, new attachments, new maps, and a slightly different flow & pace and it feels like magic for a couple weeks.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
With both COD and Battlefield launching with seemingly plenty of issues, I honestly don't know if Infinite could have picked a better year to come out

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's just how it goes, especially when they know there's peak viewership at stake. You play the same game for a full year and the new one releases so you've got new weapons, new attachments, new maps, and a slightly different flow & pace and it feels like magic for a couple weeks.

this is dumb. Most of the top CoD guys are often pretty honest in their opinions. Some really liked MW19, some really really hated it, some liked BOCW, some didn't care, but a lot of them are liking Vanguard. You didn't need to wait weeks to figure about that as most were saying that stuff in the games beta.

I think your trying to project onto them because they differ from your opinion.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
this is dumb. Most of the top CoD guys are often pretty honest in their opinions. Some really liked MW19, some really really hated it, some liked BOCW, some didn't care, but a lot of them are liking Vanguard.

I think your trying to project onto them because they differ from your opinion.
Yeah ... I don't need the COD landscape explained to me lol. It's not my first time around the block but thanks?

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I think that Eurogamer quote says it all.

Still wish I could buy campaign separately.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Okay dude. I get it, people are enjoying the MP and your not (as you said in the OT), so your basically calling out those who are liking it as shills.
😬 like look I get where you're coming from, but I don't need it explained to me or have words put in my mouth. I didn't call anybody a shill. Why you getting pressed about this?

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
the reviews should just be fuck activision

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Probably worth getting for ~20 buck to run through the campaign during a slow weekend but outside of MW2019 and the MW remaster I haven't gotten into a CoD game since the 360 days. Still hoping we get a BO1 remaster with the full MP suite - still think that was the best game they ever made by far.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
😬 like look I get where you're coming from, but I don't need it explained to me or have words put in my mouth. I didn't call anybody a shill. Why you getting pressed about this?

You said that they need to do say it because of peak viewership... So basically lying to get viewership.

I mean that's just how it goes, especially when they know there's peak viewership at stake.

Are you trying to tell me your words have no meaning and you can't explain yourself so your trying to deflect?

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
You said that they need to do say it because of peak viewership... So basically lying to get viewership.

Are you trying to tell me your words have no meaning and you can't explain yourself so your trying to deflect?
A shill is somebody that is paid money to pretend to like a product. Somebody hyping up a new title that will draw in an enormous revenue stream from increased viewership on their Twitch channel or on YouTube is not shilling. "Words have no meaning" indeed. Take the night off lol

Hazzaku

Oct 25, 2017
As someone with 12 days played in Cold War Zombies ... this sounds like one of the rare instances in which a literal "reskin" would've been better received than what zombie players get day one.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
A shill is somebody that is paid money to pretend to like a product. Somebody hyping up a new title that will draw in an enormous revenue stream from increased viewership on their Twitch channel or on YouTube is not shilling. "Words have no meaning" indeed. Take the night off lol

Oh my god. In the end your basically getting to the same conclusion. Either their lying in their enjoyment because their getting paid off by a company or their lying in their enjoyment so they get better viewership and then paid by viewers.

In the end your claiming their enjoyment is only to get paid.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020

A shill does not have to be paid at all lol. There's tons of people who shill products and companies and never get paid a dime. I mean, you post on ERA, you have to know this

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018

Sounds like most FPS franchises. Same thing happens with Battlefield when it releases

Jul 26, 2018
I feel like I'm gonna have to put on my tin foil hat on and say that these have to be paid reviews...

I don't think I'll ever give a game a 7/10 for the lack of features/downgrade like in zombies for example.... jeeze.... that Reddit thread is brutal.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Oh my god. In the end your basically getting to the same conclusion. Either their lying in their enjoyment because their getting paid off by a company or their lying in their enjoyment so they get better viewership and then paid by viewers.

In the end your claiming their enjoyment is only to get paid.
Honestly, I've seen a lot of your posts around here and I like you. Let's just say you're right and be done with it.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Considering Cold War feels completely different because it's using an older version of the engine, and doesn't build upon Modern Warfare like Vanguard does and was blasted last year for that reason, I'd say your completely wrong about Vanguard.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly off-topic, but is my memory deceiving me, or did publishers use to give out exclusive early review embargoes to big sites and publications?

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
I loved Multipayer and Zombies in BO:CW, and overall enjoyed the campaign. Will grab this once it's cheap enough. Halo will keep me busy until then.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Completely forgot this was out today. My friends who are usually all in on CoD every single year haven't even talked about this one. I think BF and Infinite are stealing CoD's thunder a bit this year, but obviously it's going to still sell millions as it always does.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Zombies is pitiful and might as well not have been put in the game but the campaign and (especially) the multiplayer are top shelf and the best COD has been since Black Ops 2. Hell, personally, it's the most fun I've had with the series since Modern Warfare 2. Take that for what you will.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Huh didn't know a CoD was coming out this year. Is Sledgehammer just gonna do period pieces as counterpart to Modern Warfare in these lull years? No wait they did Advanced Warfare. Cause from their Dead Space background, thought they would do more sci fi stuff. Anyway, the Dead Space folks are making a new sci fi game (The Callisto Protocol) so looking forward to that.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
81 OpenCritic is a really solid score for what seems a solid entry in the series and a good WW2 game

Multiplayer package is awesome, best part of the game for sure
Campaign is a solid WW2 experience with nice characters and awesome location, although pretty short and not that much memorable

Zombies lacks content right now and it's the weaker part, but we've already seen with past entries how good is the post launch support and there's already a promising roadmap for season 1 and more

Overall looks a very solid COD, I've also been playing this a couple of hours already and it's really fun. Considering we're still in pre-season 1, I think this game already is a great starting point with tons of content and it will only get better in the coming weeks and months

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Huh didn't know a CoD was coming out this year. Is Sledgehammer just gonna do period pieces as counterpart to Modern Warfare in these lull years? No wait they did Advanced Warfare. Cause from their Dead Space background, thought they would do more sci fi stuff. Anyway, the Dead Space folks are making a new sci fi game (The Callisto Protocol) so looking forward to that.
Rumor had it that they were developing CoD Cold War, but they did such a shit job they got pushed off of it and Treyarch took over. Then they got tasked to make another CoD since Treyarch got moved, and they went with WW2 setting to use previous assets from their last CoD. You can clearly see all of this in the game: MW19 systems, lack of zombie content (Treyarch busy with CW), super short campaign, unfinished audio mix, etc

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Vanguard manages to stick around as the third (or fourth if you count Warzone) CoD brand. Modern Warfare and Black Ops both have almost the same name recognition as Call of Duty itself.