• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Lootboxes ON THE NORMANDY BEACH how blatantly disgusting and tone deaf can they go.

Again it's not on the "beach". Did you ever see Saving Private Ryan?

After the beach was taken they set up command centers on top of the cliffs. This is D-Day +3. They weren't sitting on the "beach" then. It's called "Omaha Beach" as that's the location, but it's actually at the top of the cliffs in the HQ they set up after D-Day was successful:

screenshot2017-11-01aecu6j.png

screenshot2017-11-01ainu2r.png

screenshot2017-11-01an7u9b.png

screenshot2017-11-01apbupz.png

Oct 25, 2017
Oh dear, I think we've reached the lowest point this year, can't wait to see what the industry comes up next year to exploit and manipulate their customers.

According to the reddit thread you also gain XP while watching someone that is opening a crate.

I'm so sick of all this.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
This was their idea all along, they did it so other player would see it and be like i want that grip and also buys loot boxes.
Smart business move cant hate on that. But i am skipping CoD this year, i do not like the setting and fatigue. every time i buy CoD and play it for twee weeks and then drop it.

I probably have a week with nothing to play and be bored and buy it anyway....im weak.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I mean

Destiny's social space isn't the location of a real world siege that had over 100,000 casualties. One is tasteless, the other isn't.

So playing the campaigns through in games like the old CoD's in Normandy is fine, as is other theatres of war, but opening loot boxes in the vicinity is a no no?

I think that's some stretching to say it's tasteless opening a loot box in the area.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Can you only play as an allied soldier in the multiplayer? Kinda weird if there were German soldiers walking around the HQ

Soulstoner

Oct 27, 2017
Again it's not on the "beach". Did you ever see Saving Private Ryan?

After the beach was taken they set up command centers on top of the cliffs. This is D-Day +3. They weren't sitting on the "beach" then. It's called "Omaha Beach" as that's the location, but it's actually at the top of the cliffs in the HQ they set up after D-Day was successful:

screenshot2017-11-01aecu6j.png

screenshot2017-11-01ainu2r.png

screenshot2017-11-01an7u9b.png

screenshot2017-11-01apbupz.png

Well then. That should diffuse this non-controversy controversy.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So does the game try it's hardest to match you with people who have already in the middle of opening a "good" box.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
Being a huge Destiny fan, my only input on this social space in cod is that it's funny to me how it appears superior to what we have... I think it's dumb to have a social space in a cod game overall, but I'm definitely jealous of some of the stuff that it has. Bungie could learn a few things from what the cod devs have done. No one gives a shit about social spaces if there's nothing to do in them... and sorry, throwing snowballs or playing some half-assed soccer game doesn't count. Firing range, realtime loot for others to see, 1v1 arena where others can spectate... This is actually decent stuff in a social space.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being a huge Destiny fan, my only input on this social space in cod is that it's funny to me how it appears superior to what we have... I think it's dumb to have a social space in a cod game overall, but I'm definitely jealous of some of the stuff that it has. Bungie could learn a few things from what the cod devs have done. No one gives a shit about social spaces if there's nothing to do in them... and sorry, throwing snowballs or playing some half-assed soccer game doesn't count. Firing range, realtime loot for others to see, 1v1 arena where others can spectate... This is actually decent stuff in a social space.

Yep, this social space seems pretty cool in fairness.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Speaking of Calla Dooty, I feel like there hasn't been a big marketing push/hype machine behind this title. Is Activision afraid to sell a nazi shooting game in 2017?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

That's what you get when you have actual proper tools to make your game that work for you and not against you.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I guess in a way it's good to see how many people pay for loot boxes in multiplayer games. It will be funny but sad to be mid game and see a bunch of loot boxes raining from the sky. If they want to be dicks they could make it available to everyone in game by letting whoever gets to the box first gets the loot. Imagine paying a dollar to have the box come down, but another player gets to it first and you don't get anything.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I can see it now: Kratos' orgy minigames will now be loot boxes in the new God of War. Let's see EA/Activision/etc top that.

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I guess in a way it's good to see how many people pay for loot boxes in multiplayer games. It will be funny but sad to be mid game and see a bunch of loot boxes raining from the sky. If they want to be dicks they could make it available to everyone in game by letting whoever gets to the box first gets the loot. Imagine paying a dollar to have the box come down, but another player gets to it first and you don't get anything.

But then loot boxes really would be gambling because you have a chance of losing out at the money you spent, and then they would really be illegal.

ManatuBear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Real wars should only be used for games that can approach the subject with the required respect and sensitivity, like Valiant Hearts, that can be entertaining while being educational.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I find it really pathetic that much effort into designing the loot crate opening animation. Can you imagine being part of a group of people going back and forth on the animation and design process for a loot crate? Talk about inane!

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the problem with this. Loot boxes are still shitty but this at least looks cool.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My question is, can I kill people with the loot box like one can do with the supply drops?

If yes, I wonder how EA would react to people killing other people who are opening lootboxes by dropping lootboxes on them?

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
Oh dear, I think we've reached the lowest point this year, can't wait to see what the industry comes up next year to exploit and manipulate their customers.

According to the reddit thread you also gain XP while watching someone that is opening a crate.

I'm so sick of all this.

Omg what! Lol

Oct 30, 2017
Can't wait for the hundreds of crates that begin falling from the sky and nuking the framerate.

If they really want to go wild, Activision should allow other players the chance to open loot crates just like they would do supply drops in an MP match. Really get the players going!

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Guys we promise, that patent was just for testing purposes. It's not in any of our games."

Next iteration though, no promises!

Oh! What A Tangled Web We Weave When First We Practice To Deceive.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Can't wait for the hundreds of crates that begin falling from the sky and nuking the framerate.

If they really want to go wild, Activision should allow other players the chance to open loot crates just like they would do supply drops in an MP match. Really get the players going!
I'm sure there will be a queue, gotta ensure that everyone has time to look at each person's loot!

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I will not buy this game, and I would never buy lootboxes with real money, but I really don't think this is a huge issue.

NormandySupply_edit.jpg

Seems as good an 'inbetween place where you practice and open lootboxes' as any.

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I will not buy this game, and I would never buy lootboxes with real money, but I really don't think this is a huge issue.

NormandySupply_edit.jpg

Seems as good an 'inbetween place where you practice and open lootboxes' as any.

Finally someone else gets it. And it's not even on the beach! The HQ is on the cliffs above. Go watch Saving Private Ryan, it's where they get the mission to find him.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there will be a queue, gotta ensure that everyone has time to look at each person's loot!

"5Taquitos is already opening a loot box, you'll have to wait! Would you like to watch them open it? If you can't wait, buy the fast pass for instant drops, only X.99 per month".

I'm just kidding obviously it's not nearly this bad, and in some ways it could be kind of fun. But to a degree we just keep rolling down this hill. In just five years the acceptance of some pretty shitty practices have come a long way. I don't personally mind loot boxes (when all other content is free) as I think they're the better of two evils for keeping communities alive. But they're coming awfully close to unacceptable territory for me.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Real wars should only be used for games that can approach the subject with the required respect and sensitivity, like Valiant Hearts, that can be entertaining while being educational.

On some level it's probably better that people are reminded of the events around these conflicts then just pretending like they never happened. I know what you're saying though, I hope there is something positive in the game to balance out this kind of stuff.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Completely different from that but ok.

My joke was that user manipulation like that, is only going to continue. And soon we may be at that point. It wouldn't surprise me if they did use that patent or something close to it, relatively soon. They'll keep doing moving in that direction as long as people are buying. Lke the poster above said though, its all about speaking with your wallet. And I do.

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
My joke was that user manipulation like that, is only going to continue. And soon we may be at that point. It wouldn't surprise me if they did use that patent or something close to it, relatively soon. They'll keep doing moving in that direction as long as people are buying. Lke the poster above said though, its all about speaking with your wallet. And I do.

I thought Destiny was already using it?

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I will never forget the sight.
Ships as far as the eye could see, all the way out to the horizon.
Thousands of men, ten thousands even, all across the beach. Some were still cleaning up the scrap and bodies from the fight 3 days prior.
The tank traps the Germans had set up had mostly been dismantled, the few that remained were still dark red with the blood of our fellow soldiers.
So many had lost their lives here, all to take this beach, all to secure what would be our way into Europe to free the people of Nazi rule.
Here we stood then. 48 men. We started with 150 and this is who remained. Two third gone in the blink of an eye. Everyone knew those wouldn't be the last casualties before Berlin.
It was cold. Everything was. The wind, the sea, the souls of our fellow men. Even with this 'victory' morale was mixed.
So O'Malley decided to do something to cheer up the boys. He gathered everyone around and told them to watch.
He took his lucky dollar, an old coin he got from his pops and always carried in his breast pocket, and threw it in the air. Everyone's eyes followed as it flipped higher and higher, not showing any signs of stopping. It seemed like it wanted to reach the clouds themselves.
Then it vanished.
And out of thin air, the men gasping at the sudden appearance, a huge crate appeared and plummeted to the ground.
A loud THUD as it smashed into the ground, sand thrown into the faces of the soldiers closest to its' landing spot.
'Watch this!' O'Malley shouted as he approached the crate. The lid suddenly swung open and what can only be described as thunderous music played from seemingly all around us. Out of the crate three giant cards or posters appeared and hung in the air, each showing a picture.
'Check out what I got boys! Come closer! Come closer!' O'Malley screamed joyously.
He suddenly held an unfamiliar rifle in his hands, maybe German made going by the design, and was busy attaching a colorful new grip to it.
Then he turned to everyone and saluted. I had never seen a man salute the way he did. It was a powerful salute, a salute to freedom, a salute to the brave men in front of him and to the call of duty that all of us had followed to this forsaken beach.
We all cheered and saluted him back, but none seemed to get it right quite the same way he did.

Two days later I found his shiny grip lying in a puddle in the middle of a muddy French road. I felt compelled to pick it up and keep it but it seemed to be out of reach to me. I just couldn't pick it up. So I left it there. But I'll never forget that one moment in time when I saw him pull that thing out of that magic crate."

- From the Memoirs of John A.C. Tivision, WW2 Veteran
Give this man a medal.