• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which comic strip do you like more

• Calvin and Hobbes

Votes: 1,042 90.2%
  • Garfield

Votes: 113 9.8%

• Total voters

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
One of my favorite college essays was comparing Calvin and Hobbes & Garfield as well as Bill Watterson and Jim Davis as those strips were very important in my childhood.

The essay ending up just being an excuse to massively dunk on Jim Davis and Garfield because Jim Davis is a hack and I'm sure you could probably find Garfield Branded Condoms because I don't think Jim knows how to say no to merchandising opportunities.

Calvin and Hobbes is pure art and Watterson is a genius.

Last edited:

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I just typed "Garfield" and "manga" in the Google search bar and this was one of the first results:

DtmKihtVAAEVbiO.jpg

I'm blaming you.
I change my mind, Garfield is better.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This question is offensive.

Calvin and Hobbes is the best of all time, Garfield is amongst the worst of all time.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Calvin and Hobbes, no contest. It's one of the greatest comic strips of all time.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, one was created to be comic book perfection and the other was created to be merchandise bait. Both were hugely succesful at what they set out to do.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
How is this even a question? Calvin and Hobbes bodies Garfield in every aspect.

Peanuts vs Calvin and Hobbes would've been the better match up

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
This really should be Calvin and Hobbes vs. Peanuts, but I think even then Calvin and Hobbes would have a pretty sizeable lead.

Calvin and Hobbes vs. The Far Side would be the best matchup.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I have mixed feelings about Garfield in a modern context. The strip's persistence seems justified by the excellent secondary content, such as Garfield Minus Garfield, Gorefield, Garkov, Arbuckle, etc. All that stuff is gold and it wouldn't be possible if the root comic wasn't so abysmal and bizarrely enduring.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
If I'm going to be honest, I understood and laughed at Garfield more than C&H as a kid. I think I just liked looking at the art more than anything else for C&H and never actually understood any of it.

Nov 15, 2020
Obviously voted for Calvin, but I won't ever say Garfield is the worst comic strip. I will take a Garfield comic any day of the week over something like Hi and Lois or Blondie.

What's infuriating about Garfield is it's almost okay. The comics have the cadence of a good joke, but recycle the same punchlines over and over. Garfield has the potential to be great - to go for an unexpected twist in their jokes, to turn into wacky cartoon slapstick, or to go into actual storylines like that Halloween comic. But it never does. Garfield always plays it safe. Garfield earned its forever spot on the newspaper page, it clearly has no intention of rocking the boat anytime soon.

Calvin of course being the antithesis to all that. Waterson really set out to have an unpredictable comic strip with story and heart, and at the end of the day, he lost that battle with a syndicate that wanted anything but that on their page. I wanted to be a newspaper cartoonist around that time in my life, and Waterson and Larson retiring almost back to back was pretty seminal to me - newspapers weren't the way to go.

Sidebar? Real talk? The animated Garfield and Friends show? Supremely underrated. The secret best animated show if its time.

It uses the comic strip as its base and actually goes into meta humor of all things - the writers are self-referential, pointing out animation mistakes, voice actors having multiple roles on the same show, commenting on the commercialization of other 80s cartoons (Garfield included.) It's right up there with Animaniacs for smartly-written cartoons, and it never gets credit because, ya know, it's related to Garfield. The bad unfunny thing.

Trundl_e

Jan 30, 2021
Watterson is a badass. He knew what he wanted, was literally willing to end it all if he didn't get it, and ended things on his own terms with enough foresight to know that it's better to go out on top. To this day he's sticking to his guns.

As a kid I was sad there wasn't a C&H cartoon like all the other popular strips, but as an adult I think it's the coolest thing ever.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Should have been Bloom County vs Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin and Hobbes would still win due to brand recognition but at least I could recognize that Era has people of culture that know Bloom County shits on everything else.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
As a kid I loved Garfield, as an adult not so much

Calvin at Hobbes is a masterpiece to me at any age

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I don't hate Garfield like many do, but Calvin and Hobbes isn't only the greatest comic strip of all time, it's one of mankind's greatest artistic achievements.

As an underachieving 90s kid with a big imagination. I was in the 6th grade when it ended. It was truly magical reading it in the paper and reading the hardcover collections with my sons is a memory I will always cherish.

Most of my favorites have already been posted. Here are some of the more out there Sunday strips I get a kick out of:

l7u6hkqlxwl11.gif

calvin2h1s6b.png

ch1503016xsms.jpg

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I'm a fan of both and think Garfield gets a weird amount of hate, even if I can watch lasagna cat all day, but it's still calvin and hobbes

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
The only strip I can think of that goes anywhere close Calvin & Hobbes is Mafalda.

3bBjNjI.gif

'Democracy (from the Greek, demos, people and kratos, authority): government in which the people exercise sovereignty.'

Last edited:

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
I'm a fan of both and think Garfield gets a weird amount of hate, even if I can watch lasagna cat all day, but it's still calvin and hobbes
Agreed that Garfield gets too much hate. It's fine for what it is—cynical overweight cat jokes with lonely depressed guy. It's kinda outdated in a lot of ways, but it's ok comfort food and I wouldn't begrudge anyone enjoying it. Comparing it to Calvin and Hobbes is pointless.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
What's the contest? Calvin and Hobbes is one of the best newspaper comic strips ever made, and Garfield is bland, unimaginative dreck.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
This is like asking who would win in a pickup basketball game: Michael Jordan time traveling from 1992, or Brad from accounting?

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
The only time the choice between "Calvin & Hobbes and X" would be a difficult question to answer is if "X" is "The Far Side" and you'd make me choose between Gary Larson and Bill Watterson.

That would be somewhat of a existential crisis.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
I have a lot of nostalgia for Garfield and I'm very thankful for all the weird culture that's it resulted in but it's like thirty years of the same two jokes.

Calvin & Hobbes is fucking literature.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most beloved & respected comic strips vs one of the most mocked & corporate influenced comic strips

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like this should have been a C&H vs Far Side question. Now it's just a Calvin and Hobbes appreciation thread.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Is that a real Garfield comic strip?
After the strip blew up Jim Davis tried to backtrack claiming that Jon drank a protein supplement meant for pregnant dogs. Nobody bought it.

Jim Davis: "On the farm, we used to give first-calf heifers a high protein supplement to help them deliver healthier calves. The supplement was provided by our vet… I assumed that there would be a similar supplement for dogs. So Jon is drinking a protein-enriched drink formulated for a pregnant dog. There you have it!"