• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't someone in here pick up the Batis 40/2? Been eager to see some pics from it.

I'm really interested in it and have been checking the site of this guy who did a 30-day review of it, with a blog post covering different impressions/details for it each day.

https://30daysofbatis.com/

It's just hard to justify at $1,300 when I already have two 35mm lenses, a 50mm macro lens, and a 55mm lens.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really interested in it and have been checking the site of this guy who did a 30-day review of it, with a blog post covering different impressions/details for it each day.

https://30daysofbatis.com/

It's just hard to justify at $1,300 when I already have two 35mm lenses, a 50mm macro lens, and a 55mm lens.
That is like the price of a used 35mm Distagaon, which I want, but that price with what is essentially a lens lottery is off putting. I'd have to go to a store and try one out.

Oct 25, 2017
So...Rokinon 35 1.4 vs Sony 85 1.8. If you had to buy one which would it be? I'm leaning Sony because I'm trying to be as native as possible on Sony. This will have to wait till next week...might be a nevermind post.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
So...Rokinon 35 1.4 vs Sony 85 1.8. If you had to buy one which would it be? I'm leaning Sony because I'm trying to be as native as possible on Sony.

tenor.gif

But, seriously, two very different lenses with completely different use cases. 35mm is wide-ish but not nearly wide enough for my main wide use case, architecture, so I'd go with the 85.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 85/1.8 is a must have from the looks of it.

I'm not sold on any 35mm option on Sony honestly. They are desperately missing a 1.8/2.0 option

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I imagined you'd get a lot of use from it for street stuff. It's a pretty great walkaround prime FL for street, so, if I were in your shoes and I did a lot of (or any, really) street, that would be first in line.
Yeah I do a good amount of street stuff. I think the Rokinon needs to be bought in a store just due to lens variance incase I needed to exchange it for another copy or test it out in store. The 85 and I think the 28-75 are safer online purchases.
The 85/1.8 is a must have from the looks of it.

I'm not sold on any 35mm option on Sony honestly. They are desperately missing a 1.8/2.0 option
Sony not having an affordable quality 35 is quite a pain in the ass. Even Fuji has two good versions of a 35.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I do a good amount of street stuff. I think the Rokinon needs to be bought in a store just due to lens variance incase I needed to exchange it for another copy or test it out in store. The 85 and I think the 28-75 are safer online purchases.

Sony not having an affordable quality 35 is quite a pain in the ass. Even Fuji has two good versions of a 35.
I'll be honest, I think I'd use the Tamron 28-75 for my 35mm needs. That's what I did on Canon, never had a dedicated 35mm. Kinda depends on how much bokeh you need, though.

Lots of folks still adapt the Canon 1.4 but I think I'd just go Rokinon at that point. I assume the Rokinon has fairly bad AF and a noisy motor though.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
When I'm using the sigma 24 art, I keep pressing the side button as if it has the focus button of my FE85 1.8.

That button + Eye AF is amazing

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, I think I'd use the Tamron 28-75 for my 35mm needs. That's what I did on Canon, never had a dedicated 35mm. Kinda depends on how much bokeh you need, though.

Lots of folks still adapt the Canon 1.4 but I think I'd just go Rokinon at that point. I assume the Rokinon has fairly bad AF and a noisy motor though.
I think I should probably prioritize the 28-75 and the 85 as my first two lenses and just get a dedicated 35 later. 50 isn't that far from 35 for the most part.
The Sony 85 1.8 is good maybe even great for the price
I should probably get this lens then. I have heard a lot of mixed things from every E-mount 35 available.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So pretty much you're paying for a name, which yes I get, but that's too much for a name.
https://youtu.be/wPjPCtK0diE

Maybe more than just the name depending on the situation. The 24/1.4 is being lauded as one of Sony's best lenses yet, and it can't keep up with the Batis 25 for video AF, and the Batis color rendition is better to my eye as well on the side by sides, like by a lot.

Chris found the 85s to be basically a push. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGjykmqkKgo

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
https://youtu.be/wPjPCtK0diE

Maybe more than just the name depending on the situation. The 24/1.4 is being lauded as one of Sony's best lenses yet, and it can't keep up with the Batis 25 for video AF, and the Batis color rendition is better to my eye as well on the side by sides, like by a lot.
I don't see myself ever buying a 24 prime though, but I'll look at this. Which are the good consistent Zeiss lenses? I wouldn't mind getting one of the 135 lenses if they have AF. The Batis is stomping the GM in video AF.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
God damn it!! Still looking at the vid for the 25mm and even that has the onioning in their bokeh. Why are Zeiss lenses like this?

This kind of shit usually crops up in glass that is overcorrected. Lens optics is a bunch of trade-offs. You want sharper corners? There you go, aspheric elements. Oops, they made your OoF areas super busy. I see you have some longitudinal spherochromatism going on, let me solve this with an apo doublet. There you go, now you have a coma issue.

All glass has a bunch of aberrations, good lens designers try to optimize to have more of the less objectionable aberrations and less of the really bad ones.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty choice quote from Panny regarding the L mount and Olympus...

"This alliance is like marriage. The previous arrangement [with Olympus] was more like we were just living together. So the obligation [now] is a little more high-level."

I swear, Oly is fucking dead without a mount partnership. They'll be relegated to microscope optics in short order if they don't wise up.

Also JadedWriter you might find this thread interesting. https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1572460

Basically, Sony lenses should largely be bought from a store where you can easily return them.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying and don't know how to buy from here. Even set up an account. Do I have to PM the person? Also looks like I have to pay to even be allowed to buy or something.
This kind of shit usually crops up in glass that is overcorrected. Lens optics is a bunch of trade-offs. You want sharper corners? There you go, aspheric elements. Oops, they made your OoF areas super busy. I see you have some longitudinal spherochromatism going on, let me solve this with an apo doublet. There you go, now you have a coma issue.

All glass has a bunch of aberrations, good lens designers try to optimize to have more of the less objectionable aberrations and less of the really bad ones.
So pretty much Zeiss over corrected their lenses and made their bokeh ugly? Sounds like a bad trade off.
Pretty choice quote from Panny regarding the L mount and Olympus...

"This alliance is like marriage. The previous arrangement [with Olympus] was more like we were just living together. So the obligation [now] is a little more high-level."

I swear, Oly is fucking dead without a mount partnership. They'll be relegated to microscope optics in short order if they don't wise up.

Also JadedWriter you might find this thread interesting. https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1572460

Basically, Sony lenses should largely be bought from a store where you can easily return them.
So pretty much Don't even buy Sony Zeiss stuff from Ebay and just store purchase them? I can't even buy the 70-200 2.8 off of Ebay?

Oct 25, 2017
But the sharpness, bro. You could cut the very Earth with those images.

Some of the lenses with the best, creamiest bokeh I've ever used had soft corners and vignetting. It's just the nature of the beast.
I don't even think I care about soft corners as long as the person I'm focusing on is sharp. It's also very easy to fix vignetting with lens corrections. So...it sounds like I'm not supposed to get a Zeiss lens then.

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a forum. Make an account like any other.

You only have to pay to post listings in Buy/Sell/Trade. You have to PM the seller and it's a paypal transaction like any other forum sale.
This makes sense. I'm trying to hold off till after I pay rent and get paid again. I have the money regardless, I just don't like my bank account going below a certain amount.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I don't even think I care about soft corners as long as the person I'm focusing on is sharp. It's also very easy to fix vignetting with lens corrections. So...it sounds like I'm not supposed to get a Zeiss lens then.

Older lens designs tended to be a bit better about this, with simpler lens formulas, I feel. There's been this sharpness arms race that kinda had a negative impact on the actual rendering. Also, another thing that had a huge impact was a race to get smaller and lighter lenses. That requires glass that is much stronger at bending light, and then require much more correction to get rid of all the weirdness it introduces.

Optics are complicated, man.

Oct 25, 2017
Older lens designs tended to be a bit better about this, with simpler lens formulas, I feel. There's been this sharpness arms race that kinda had a negative impact on the actual rendering. Also, another thing that had a huge impact was a race to get smaller and lighter lenses. That requires glass that is much stronger at bending light, and then require much more correction to get rid of all the weirdness it introduces.

Optics are complicated, man.
Yeah glass formulas are fucking weird. I'd rather prefer a realistic level of sharpness with snappy AF over super sharp, unpleasing bokeh and inconsistent AF

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So...Rokinon 35 1.4 vs Sony 85 1.8. If you had to buy one which would it be? I'm leaning Sony because I'm trying to be as native as possible on Sony. This will have to wait till next week...might be a nevermind post.

I'd go for the 85mm f/1.8 just because there will likely never be a good reason to replace it, whereas I'm skeptical of Rokinon. It appears to be a good lens, so maybe my skepticism is unfair, though.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd go for the 85mm f/1.8 just because there will likely never be a good reason to replace it, whereas I'm skeptical of Rokinon. It appears to be a good lens, so maybe my skepticism is unfair, though.
The Rokinon seems like a good lens for the price yes. For video work it seems to be better than the Sigma, seems to have better or at least cleaner bokeh than the Zeiss, but I'm not sure about the durability though.

Oct 25, 2017
Rokinon shit is at least as durable as most lenses now.
Everything is plastic with metal interiors now anyway.

The 85 1.8 would've been my next lens had I stayed with Sony tho

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So pretty much Don't even buy Sony Zeiss stuff from Ebay and just store purchase them? I can't even buy the 70-200 2.8 off of Ebay?

I've had good experience buying used stuff on FredMiranda, but obviously your mileage may vary. I'm also not taking pictures of brick walls and shit to "test" my lenses, so maybe I just haven't noticed what some would consider a lemon.

Oct 25, 2017
Rokinon shit is at least as durable as most lenses now.
Everything is plastic with metal interiors now anyway.

The 85 1.8 would've been my next lens had I stayed with Sony tho
True. Dude said the Rokinon was built as well as the Zeiss and I don't even know if that's a compliment for the Rokinon or an insult to the Zeiss given the price difference.
I've had good experience buying used stuff on FredMiranda, but obviously your mileage may vary. I'm also not taking pictures of brick walls and shit to "test" my lenses, so maybe I just haven't noticed what some would consider a lemon.
The only thing I think I tend to notice is garbage AF.

Oct 25, 2017
I generally like living in the burbs - cities are too hectic and overwhelming for me - but the photography out here certainly takes a more...optimistic eye.
I grew up in the burbs, it's...I don't think it's exactly for me. I miss the quiet yes, but there's nothing about it that I'm really looking forward to returning to. I still enjoy finding new places of the city to photograph, I don't get that with the suburbs.