• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
glass first, bodies later. You can get great photos out of cameras from 3 or 4 generations ago if the glass is decent.

Now, those cameras may be slow, they may lack features, they may be annoying to use but they can produce quality images too.
What are you on about? Nikon D810 is from 2014 and the D4 is from 2012. These are still great cameras. I shot an event with them on Saturday and the images from them are still quite good. Pro grade cameras age very well. It's the consumer grade crap that isn't meant to last that ages poorly.

cheska

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who managed to score a 24mm 1.4 a few months ago, it is my absolute favorite lens. I have this and an 85mm paired with the A7III and it's a great and light combo right now. I did consider the RIII heavily, but the reduction in autofocus points is kind of a big thing for me, especially as someone who shoots a lot of pets. The biggest benefit would be that I do tend to crop quite a bit, so having the extra MP would be nice.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who managed to score a 24mm 1.4 a few months ago, it is my absolute favorite lens. I have this and an 85mm paired with the A7III and it's a great and light combo right now. I did consider the RIII heavily, but the reduction in autofocus points is kind of a big thing for me, especially as someone who shoots a lot of pets. The biggest benefit would be that I do tend to crop quite a bit, so having the extra MP would be nice.
I'll probably forgo the A7III and wait for the A7IV if anything to be honest. A7RIII and A7IV would be a killer combo.

cheska

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably forgo the A7III and wait for the A7IV if anything to be honest. A7RIII and A7IV would be a killer combo.
There is no way I can justify that cost. I'm not a multiple body person as this is just a hobby for me. I love the idea of the detail with the RIV, but man those files are going to eat up so much space.

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way I can justify that cost. I'm not a multiple body person as this is just a hobby for me. I love the idea of the detail with the RIV, but man those files are going to eat up so much space.
I didn't mean the current RIV, I meant the eventual upgrade to the A7III. I'm an event shooter, I pretty much shoot everything on two bodies. I used to use one, but after missing a shot in front of my former boss because I was changing lenses pretty much made me go "yeah I'm getting a second body" real quick. I use two zooms so I'm covered from 24-200 at 2.8 with a flash and primes if I need them. Makes events a lot easier to manage, though if you don't do events and the pace is manageable or at least controlled and planned then you should be fine. Though yeah if you're not freelancing and it's not a job it's hard to justify the expense.

cheska

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't mean the current RIV, I meant the eventual upgrade to the A7III. I'm an event shooter, I pretty much shoot everything on two bodies. I used to use one, but after missing a shot in front of my former boss because I was changing lenses pretty much made me go "yeah I'm getting a second body" real quick. I use two zooms so I'm covered from 24-200 at 2.8 with a flash and primes if I need them. Makes events a lot easier to manage, though if you don't do events and the pace is manageable or at least controlled and planned then you should be fine. Though yeah if you're not freelancing and it's not a job it's hard to justify the expense.

Gotcha! That makes more sense!

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
What are you on about? Nikon D810 is from 2014 and the D4 is from 2012. These are still great cameras. I shot an event with them on Saturday and the images from them are still quite good. Pro grade cameras age very well. It's the consumer grade crap that isn't meant to last that ages poorly.

uh, i jsut said camera from previous generations. of hwich those certainly are.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Sounded like lot of people wanted this though. Just point and hold down the shutter. Maybe a future firmware will even tell owners to point towards objects of interest.

"Turn right 15 degrees, lift camera 10 inches, hot woman crossing road."

Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much only shoot digital now if it's work
I'm too ADD for film an impatient. I don't even think there's anything wrong with digital unless one really just needs the look of film, my biggest complaint is just all of these stupid trends that look like shit over running the whole thing. I hate how artificial portrait retouching became, I hate the "filters" craze it's just all of these fads that don't create better images.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I'm too ADD for film an impatient. I don't even think there's anything wrong with digital unless one really just needs the look of film, my biggest complaint is just all of these stupid trends that look like shit over running the whole thing. I hate how artificial portrait retouching became, I hate the "filters" craze it's just all of these fads that don't create better images.

The reason you see it so much is because the people shooting the pics aren't not good at photography

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to shoot film again alongside digital. Looking for a good compact point and shoot.

Someone send me a Contax T3 pls

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I love the tech. Some of the comments are just funny that's all. It's as if people weren't taking amazing photos 20 years ago with digital, or 40 years ago with analog. I mean whatever makes my "hobby" easier, I am all for it. And for events/pro work, good AF and speed are must haves. You're getting paid to deliver results. But for creative pursuits...it has to be an engaging process, some dedication and effort should be involved. IMO.

I did learn on film, and glad I did, and loved doing all that. Don't have patience for it now, plus I love the fidelity of digital. So I'm not a luddite by any means. Though I will admit some film look just amazing and I don't think can be emulated.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Also how do people actually post on Instagram? I'm using this bootleg method of using "Vivaldi" to upload from my PC. Can't believe for such a popular platform there's basically no easy workflow to upload from PC/Cloud.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
The new Ektachrome is so sharp and the color is beautiful. No camera or raw editor can match it imo

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Also how do people actually post on Instagram? I'm using this bootleg method of using "Vivaldi" to upload from my PC. Can't believe for such a popular platform there's basically no easy workflow to upload from PC/Cloud.

Its like that by design. They didn't want pro shooters on the platform, they wanted smartphones and social and whatever the hell the kids are into these days.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I love the tech. Some of the comments are just funny that's all. It's as if people weren't taking amazing photos 20 years ago with digital, or 40 years ago with analog. I mean whatever makes my "hobby" easier, I am all for it. And for events/pro work, good AF and speed is a must have. You're getting paid to deliver results. But for creative pursuits...it has to be an engaging process, some dedication and effort should be involved. IMO.

I did learn on film, and glad I did, and loved doing all that. Don't have patience for it now, plus I love the fidelity of digital. So I'm not a luddite by any means. Though I will admit some film look just amazing and I don't think can be emulated.
A good photo is a good photo regardless of what it was shot on. I don't mind the tech either, I just look at a photographer weird if they tell me they can't shoot an event without IBIS and an EVF. I like the EVF because my exposure needs less futzing with in post, but even when I break out the old Nikons to shoot an event I can still get some good images out of them.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
From my XT3 I can transfer photos to my phone via the Fuji app. I think that's pretty neat, but I only did that with some photos initially while travelling, as they take up all of the memory.

Oct 25, 2017
from the article.

846d71_e4384dbb14694d2c834e959e6842ce3e~mv2_d_1920_1280_s_2.webp

Another shot at 400mm. Sony A7R4, 100-400GM, 400mm, f/5.6, 1/400s, ISO 400. Note that these macro shots were shot hand held. The detail on the bumblebee is great:

846d71_9c25c25eb99145f6ad1d8cc2dc218f4e~mv2_d_1920_1280_s_2.webp

100% crop of the focused area on the bee: the wing, and especially the leg covered in the nectar of the flower.

jesus
I hate my life

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking about glass I just ordered the FE 70–200 mm F4 G OSS. First Zoom ever and first Tele. Was all prime lenses up to this point. The 2.8 is just to big and if I need low light capable lenses I have them in my prime selection. Given the iso performance of my A7III I should not really be bothered by F4, I hope.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
from the article.

846d71_e4384dbb14694d2c834e959e6842ce3e~mv2_d_1920_1280_s_2.webp

Another shot at 400mm. Sony A7R4, 100-400GM, 400mm, f/5.6, 1/400s, ISO 400. Note that these macro shots were shot hand held. The detail on the bumblebee is great:

846d71_9c25c25eb99145f6ad1d8cc2dc218f4e~mv2_d_1920_1280_s_2.webp

100% crop of the focused area on the bee: the wing, and especially the leg covered in the nectar of the flower.

jesus

Damn. So Sony is giving a macro lens now fo free with the A7R4?

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
I just discovered that in the online shop where I usually buy my stuff, there's 108 native lenses listed for E-mount FF (AF and MF). Wow, had no idea it's actually that many.

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking about glass I just ordered the FE 70–200 mm F4 G OSS. First Zoom ever and first Tele. Was all prime lenses up to this point. The 2.8 is just to big and if I need low light capable lenses I have them in my prime selection. Given the iso performance of my A7III I should not really be bothered by F4, I hope.
I do too many events and I'm just not one of those iso over aperture people. My 2.8 gets used often and I don't regret that purchase. If you don't need low light reach for podium speeches or other such oddities for event work the F4 should be enough. I do like way too many events so that F4 was not getting purchased. I honestly would've waited for whatever announcement of third party zooms to get released before making this decision if you have the time to wait or looked into the Sigma Sport version adapted to the Sony. Now if you bought that lens new you probably over paid by $500. I would never buy the F4 new knowing what I know about used prices.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do too many events and I'm just not one of those iso over aperture people. My 2.8 gets used often and I don't regret that purchase. If you don't need low light reach for podium speeches or other such oddities for event work the F4 should be enough. I do like way too many events so that F4 was not getting purchased. I honestly would've waited for whatever announcement of third party zooms to get released before making this decision if you have the time to wait or looked into the Sigma Sport version adapted to the Sony. Now if you bought that lens new you probably over paid by $500. I would never buy the F4 new knowing what I know about used prices.
Well, used prices are around 900-950€ in Germany for three year old lenses and it's 1160€ new with warranty. So not gonna save too much there. I took a look at my catalog, while I shoot most of my stuff wide open (because I fucking can) there really is no need for me to do so in well over 90% of usecases (I'm a typical nice weather shooter). If I'm out at night I'll always be packing a prime anyway. And I stopped caring about the noise between iso 100 - 3800.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, used prices are around 900-950€ in Germany for three year old lenses and it's 1160€ new with warranty. So not gonna save too much there. I took a look at my catalog, while I shoot most of my stuff wide open (because I fucking can) there really is no need for me to do so in well over 90% of usecases (I'm a typical nice weather shooter). If I'm out at night I'll always be packing a prime anyway. And I stopped caring about the noise between iso 100 - 3800.
Sorry assumed you were American. Used here and used over there don't equate to the same savings. If you're 90% nice weather shooter then the F4 should be enough. I very rarely get an event that takes place outside so 2.8 zooms are pretty much my life blood. My last even was 4000-6400 on my Nikon D4. I think my next freelance event is an outside family reunion so that's going to be shot on my Fuji's.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
From my XT3 I can transfer photos to my phone via the Fuji app. I think that's pretty neat, but I only did that with some photos initially while travelling, as they take up all of the memory.

You can do that with Nikon snapbridge but it only works with JPEG. I literally never shoot JPEG so it may as well not exist.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My new Tele arrived today. I can totally see why F4 would be bad for indoor shooting lol.

But build quality is really good, let's see what the weekend brings. Glad I went with the F4 version, double the weight for the 2,8 would drastically reduce my enjoyment of the lens.

8f639c-1563473617.jpeg

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
My photographic hobby will always be limited by the fact that I just never want to carry anything that big. 😁 Looks dope, though! I was just staring at a used 70-200 lens at a bargain and I just... can't with the size.