BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Leaked images. These look promising. I hope they are sharp stopped down, would love them to make a small landscape kit. And I hope they will add something longer like 75mm in the future. Not every lens has to be f1.4!

screenshot2021-03-22a6fkkz.png
Reviews are out and quite positive so far. The 40mm apparently is missing a glass element that the other 2 have, related to reducing some color fringing. But all 3 perform great for the compact size. That said, almost all reviews agree you should not bother getting all of them and most people only need one. If getting 2, then don't bother with the 40mm.

Also several reviews note that the late 2019 Sony FE 35mm f1.8 is still good for around the same price now and has the modern linear focus in a small form that would satisfy most people who find the smaller lenses appealing or don't need pro level of the $1400 2021 alternative. It isn't as good as the 2021 Sony G FE 35mm f1.4 except for video due to very minimal focus breathing, but is half the price and is smaller with surprisingly small gap in quality. The Zeiss 35mm f1.4 seems to be totally worthless now as it is worse than the other two 35mm lenses and more expensive on top. One or two reviews speculate it only is still listed as in production due to agreements with Zeiss or such for how long it is part of the line up.

I'm personally readying to upgrade from my APS-C a6300 setup but am debating.

I personally LOVE compact lenses, but I lean on video a lot, including at night and indoors where I worry the compact f2.8 or f2.5 would be notable compared to f1.8 or f1.4.

Honestly, I'm a huge fan of only leaving the house with one lens so I kind of like to have one low light wide prime, and one tele zoom that has versatility depending on my destination that day. But that's sadly tough to balance with the appeal of compact carrying and full frame.

Would be a dream to use a small A7C with the 24mm Ultra Compact... but I know I'd have FOMO regarding some faster aperture options and bigger camera features.

I know what body features I want from Full Frame, and I'm pretty sure I'll get the new 35mm f1.4 from Sony, or the 2019 35mm f1.8 with better control of the breathing. But replacing my E 18-135mm on full frame is my bigger dilemma. The G 24-105mm f4 seems good but big.

My brain also wishes I could find use for an Ultra Compact lens from the new trio. But I know my relationship with the hobby leans on very easy carry. Usually zoom lens for photos in daytime and then prime for night or video.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey there, hoping I can ask some beginner advice. I am getting married in May, and it will be just 10 people doing a hike in Colorado for the ceremony. Rather than hire a photographer I want to buy a nice camera and have one of the attendees be the photographer. So I am looking for a camera that...
- would be good in a forest / mountain setting at midday. Plus of course will need to pick out just one lens to start
- is around the $1000 or less range. Though could be convinced to spend more if there's a compelling reason
- Is accessible to newcomers. I understand these photos will not be professional, but I'd like the camera to be easy enough to use that I can train someone on it and they can be relatively competent with a day or two of practice.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey there, hoping I can ask some beginner advice. I am getting married in May, and it will be just 10 people doing a hike in Colorado for the ceremony. Rather than hire a photographer I want to buy a nice camera and have one of the attendees be the photographer. So I am looking for a camera that...
- would be good in a forest / mountain setting at midday. Plus of course will need to pick out just one lens to start
- is around the $1000 or less range. Though could be convinced to spend more if there's a compelling reason
- Is accessible to newcomers. I understand these photos will not be professional, but I'd like the camera to be easy enough to use that I can train someone on it and they can be relatively competent with a day or two of practice.
Here are two options, your budget is very limiting:
https://www.adorama.com/nkz5k.html
https://www.adorama.com/nkz50k2.html
I could also cobble together a used kit I think but I'm not sure how much you would want a DSLR.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This:
www.adorama.com

Fujifilm X-T30

X-T30 Mirrorless Camera with XC 15-45mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS PZ Lens Silver - Bundle With Camera Case, 32GB U3 SDHC Card, Cleaning Kit, Card Reader, 52mm Filter Kit, Mac Software Package
and this:
www.adorama.com

Fujifilm XC 35mm F2

XC 35mm F2 Lens

The camera has an auto switch which will do all the work for you if you want.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

I sent you a PM. My wife wants to sell the camera that would likely be perfect for you (the X-T30). Just an option!

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Bought a UV flashlight that specifically shoots at 365nm UV for photography. It barely casts visible light and makes things with fluorescence glow like a Christmas tree light within darkness.

Here's a Gif of me playing with the flashlight

I'm essentially turning the flashlight on and off here

The white mask was glowing and the photograph itself sort of half emitting. I have a feeling ill be able to capture some trippy black and white photos considering the odd tones you'll be able to get from fluorescent things.

The plastic on this 2L coke lit up as a pale blue

Processed as B&W

Interestingly, there's no liquid in the bottle outside of the droplets. The bottom is me angling the flashlight below the edge of an object so it gives the transition to the upper fluorescence a hard edge.

The orange in the background is actually my safety vest giving off its own light which became an inadvertent accent color lol

Last edited:

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I enjoyed this in that I feel like it is Youtubers who often perpetuate the chase for super specs ending up taking part in something that actually gives great credit to a camera that sounds compromised by 12MP to a lot of people. Including me. It's obviously not science and some people I am sure watch this and think "well I would be able to tell, I'm not just some social media photographer" and that's fine, but it is neat to see people who make a living with some of the most high traffic visuals around, having a reaction like this.

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Fuji people:

I'm torn to get rid of the Fuji XF 18-55mm OIS

Option A: Fuji XF 18-135mm OIS WR

Great all round lens and has weather resistance.

Option B: Fuji XF 18-55mm OIS + Fuji XF 55-200mm OIS

More brighter F-stops, greater flexibility.

The idea is for travel and general use and only wanting to keep one lens was thinking of the 16-80 and 70-300 XF, but I kind of want to simplify the setup. I already have the 18-55 so getting the 55-200m would make sense, but I could trade in the 18-55 and get the 18-135mm which would be great as I would have one lens that does most things.

Thoughts?

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed this in that I feel like it is Youtubers who often perpetuate the chase for super specs ending up taking part in something that actually gives great credit to a camera that sounds compromised by 12MP to a lot of people. Including me. It's obviously not science and some people I am sure watch this and think "well I would be able to tell, I'm not just some social media photographer" and that's fine, but it is neat to see people who make a living with some of the most high traffic visuals around, having a reaction like this.

Kinda making me regret not getting an A7S (or was it an A7S2) a few years back for a pretty big discount cause I didn't do video stuff back then.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Anyone have any travel tripod recommendations?

I own (counts quietly) 3 tripods, but none are the kind I'd like to take on a road trip. Looking at BeFree GT or the Peak Design.

The Peak Design's plates require an Allen key and it overall seems a bit over-engineered... but I'm a fan of every PD product I own otherwise.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017

I own (counts quietly) 3 tripods, but none are the kind I'd like to take on a road trip. Looking at BeFree GT or the Peak Design.

The Peak Design's plates require an Allen key and it overall seems a bit over-engineered... but I'm a fan of every PD product I own otherwise.

I think most, if not all Arca Swiss quick release plates (which is what the Peak Design and most other travel tripods use) use allen/hex screws. I could be wrong, or maybe that's just what i've picked up. I own one for each camera of mine, so it's set it and forget it. I'd just throw a couple allen wrenches in your bag and not worry about that part too much.

If I'm wrong, maybe you already own an Arca Swiss plate that has your preferred screws in it.

I own a Vanguard Veo that is no longer in production by the looks of it. They're a pretty good Manfrotto equivalent. I've beat it up for years traveling and having as an everyday carry tripod and it's still going strong. It folds up and fits inside my PD Everyday Backpack. I didn't really do much shopping, I just bought the one that was available at Fry's when I needed one in a pinch. It's been good for hours long star trail photos and everything else I've ever thrown at it.

As long as you can find something reputable and something that folds up very compactly like:

veo_235ab_slanted_folded.png

I think you should be good. If you're doing a lot of hiking, spring for a carbon fiber one to save your shoulders/back. Otherwise, aluminum is good enough IMO. Avoid anything with plastic parts as a travel tripod will get beat up.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I think most, if not all Arca Swiss quick release plates (which is what the Peak Design and most other travel tripods use) use allen/hex screws. I could be wrong, or maybe that's just what i've picked up. I own one for each camera of mine, so it's set it and forget it. I'd just throw a couple allen wrenches in your bag and not worry about that part too much.

If I'm wrong, maybe you already own an Arca Swiss plate that has your preferred screws in it.

I own a Vanguard Veo that is no longer in production by the looks of it. They're a pretty good Manfrotto equivalent. I've beat it up for years traveling and having as an everyday carry tripod and it's still going strong. It folds up and fits inside my PD Everyday Backpack. I didn't really do much shopping, I just bought the one that was available at Fry's when I needed one in a pinch. It's been good for hours long star trail photos and everything else I've ever thrown at it.

As long as you can find something reputable and something that folds up very compactly like:

veo_235ab_slanted_folded.png

I think you should be good. If you're doing a lot of hiking, spring for a carbon fiber one to save your shoulders/back. Otherwise, aluminum is good enough IMO. Avoid anything with plastic parts as a travel tripod will get beat up.

This is pretty much 1:1 with the Manfrotto BeFrees I use during my dayjob, and I think they're ok/good.

I have some Peak Design gear, and they use Arca Swiss plates... but those included plates support coin/screwdrivers, which I suppose I could just swap out for the included hex-only one that comes with the PD travel tripod.

I'm basically torn on the PD's ecosystem perks (I own the clutch, messenger bag, a strap, and the capture clip) and also knowing it's a little over-engineered (a hidden cell-phone holder... really?) and under-functioned (having to lift the head out of a lock to adjust the horizon seems annoying, plus the lack of panning for panaromics). The Manfrotto BeFree GT is $100 cheaper and doesn't have any major issues. It's just a bit bigger and more old-school. No cell phone holder, no Peak Design ecosystem perks... but I dunno.

You're 100% right with going reputable here. Both are good name brands, and I already have Manfrotto sticks + Peak Design gear I like. It's a real coin toss.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have a Brevitē Jumper camera bag because I can't stand stuff like Peak Design that looks like a gear/activity bag.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I have a Brevitē Jumper camera bag because I can't stand stuff like Peak Design that looks like a gear/activity bag.

I use the PD messenger as my tote/laptop/commuter bag, and the rest is great for walking/hiking/everyday photo use (the clutch, strap, and capture clip).

I get the same vibe you do about their tripod though. I'm sifting through Manfrotto BeFree options now.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017

I love my Everyday Backpack, but I'm also keenly aware that I put a giant target on my back that says "expensive things inside" to anyone in the know. It's made me nervous more than once. They really stick out in a crowd once you know what they look like.

It's a perfect pack for me functionally, but if I ever am to replace it, I'm going to get something a lot more discrete looking.

I really love a lot of PD's stuff though. The capture clip is my favorite piece of camera gear outside of my cameras themselves.

That being said, I don't think their tripod should be considered for anyone other than the really hardcore. It's expensive for a reason, and it's because it's for people who saving ounces and centimeters is very important, not necessarily people who are looking for the most feature complete and versatile tool.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I use the PD messenger as my tote/laptop/commuter bag, and the rest is great for walking/hiking/everyday photo use (the clutch, strap, and capture clip).

I get the same vibe you do about their tripod though. I'm sifting through Manfrotto BeFree options now.
Yeah, don't get me wrong since I think Peak Design is a really clever and innovative company. But I just couldn't quite get there with the pricing alongside the visible utility on display.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
I'm basically torn on the PD's ecosystem perks (I own the clutch, messenger bag, a strap, and the capture clip)

I own some of Peak Design's stuff, personally think they're overpriced (their leash and anchor stuff for instance is too expensive) but I very much like their 6L carry bag because I can carry two lens and my camera, charger, filters, batteries, wires, whatever small things I need and still feels very compact compared with the Manfrotto i had before it broke.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Yeah, don't get me wrong since I think Peak Design is a really clever and innovative company. But I just couldn't quite get there with the pricing alongside the visible utility on display.

Yeah, I keep seeing the phrase "over engineered" being used to describe the Peak Design travel tripod and I'm inclined to agree. It just seems kinda busy, and it doesn't do all the basics... and it costs a premium.

I'm going to go with a Manfrotto BeFree GT Carbon Fibre, which still costs $20 less than the PD aluminum. It can also do pans, you can even out its horizon real quick, doesn't require a hex key, it's taller, and it weighs the same...

Last edited:

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
The XF 27mm f2.8 WR was very briefly on sale just now for £329, and since the RRP is £419 I went for it.

As much as I want the lens I'm feeling a bit of buyer's remorse to be honest, but who knows when it'll go on sale again...

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sure!

www.castlecameras.co.uk

Fujifilm XF 27mm f2.8 R WR lens, black

Slim, lightweight design with advanced image quality. Versatile focal length similar to the human eye for a wide range of subjects. Super-fast AutoFocus. Upgrading? Check our offer for your old gear

It's "temporarily unavailable" at the moment, but it said that right before it briefly became available (which is when I got it).

Definitely worth keeping an eye on it! I found the deal on Camera Price Busters.

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sure!

www.castlecameras.co.uk

Fujifilm XF 27mm f2.8 R WR lens, black

Slim, lightweight design with advanced image quality. Versatile focal length similar to the human eye for a wide range of subjects. Super-fast AutoFocus. Upgrading? Check our offer for your old gear

It's "temporarily unavailable" at the moment, but it said that right before it briefly became available (which is when I got it).

Definitely worth keeping an eye on it! I found the deal on Camera Price Busters.

Cool, thanks! Will check from time to time.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
anybody got ideas for a backpack that doubles/triples as camera bag, every day carry, and dual use camera/maybe space to throw a small jacket/travel etc?

the most packed it would ever be would be like
fuji xt3
18-55, 35, and 70-300 (whenever i buy that)
anker battery
laptop + charger
phone charger
small roll up jacket, maybe a t shirt and shorts or toiletries
snax
beats headphones
switch (like, at absolute overkill fill)

how many liters would i need for something like that?
been looking and there are some names out there but i don't want to bias survey results.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Just ordered a near mint condition Panasonic S1 with the Filmmaker Upgrade and Firmware 2.0 already installed! Got it for a pretty great price too, which is crazy for what all this two year old camera can now do.

Very excited for try this monster out when it gets here!

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
anybody got ideas for a backpack that doubles/triples as camera bag, every day carry, and dual use camera/maybe space to throw a small jacket/travel etc?

fuji xt3
anker battery
laptop + charger
phone charger
snax
beats headphones

been looking and there are some names out there but i don't want to bias survey results.

I've had a Lowepro for six years that has served me very well, the BP 250 AW II. This might fit the bill for what you want to pack and it's not terrible expensive- it's pretty rugged, too.

Jg6skXy.png

ESRWoYz.png

An alternative I've used a few times is buying one of these cheapo bag inserts, which ran ~$20.

ndZdNJ8.png

Ff84bfQ.png

You can always buy a premium backpack (or just use one you already own), throw this in the bottom, and call it a day. It depends on your travel needs, of course.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I managed to destroy my Benro Tripod from 10ish years ago recently and need a new one. Any recommendations on where to start looking? I don't need it to be especially light (carbon) or something, but it should be well made while not costing a fortune. And I hated the way the legs were extended by screwing, levers or something are a must. I have no clue about tripods, is Manfrotto still a good choice?

Thanks!

Last edited:

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK

fuji xt3
anker battery
laptop + charger
phone charger
snax
beats headphones

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago, carrying my iPad Pro 12.9, Switch, camera gear and other accessories with me when travelling. This might seem controversial, but I don't like camera bags as they are not inconspicuous enough and well just look like camera bags. I have a Herschel Little America 25L which I use daily and just converted that into my camera bag by using a camera insert bag to hold my camera equipment and a travel bag for wires, batteries and other devices. All of it fits nice and tidy in the bag and I had room to stuff a jacket in there.

While I understand that Herschel is a 'fashion' brand, I do like the quality of the bags and I have used their lifetime warranty before when my original front cover strap broke off after 3 years of daily use. Herschel was nice enough to send me a new bag in a week. But yeah, any normal bag will do and just use inserts to make your life easier by having everything contained separately.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Camera inserts are a good tool. I tend to use a Tom Bihn Copilot with an insert as my everyday/short hikes bag, although I need less space than some.

Oct 25, 2017
So I just bought a Leofoto LS-224C.

This tripod is fucking incredible.

You know how an amazing carbon-fiber RRS tripod is like 800-1000 bucks easy? Leofoto basically made a perfect clone of it you can get off eBay for less than 200 dollars brand new. I got the 224C, which tops out at around 44 inches tall. It also only weighs 1.6 pounds by itself. They even cloned the ball-head technology RRS uses for its tripods.

This thing feels premium, works premium and I am so glad I bought it.

MrJm3wv.jpg

h6d4ieu.jpg

wKpMH3v.jpg

Z5VHwV1.jpg

Pictured is my Sony A6000 on top of it. I love this thing already, and it's a dream to extend and retract the legs.

I was wondering how good this tripod would actually be, but I am blown away. Instant convert. Don't waste your money on some shitty Manfrotto sub-200 dollar tripod, buy this.

Also, included with the tripod was a center column as well as a hook for hanging a sling, or a backpack, in the center of the tripod.

There is a Leofoto-branded sling that attaches to all three legs lower on the tripod that you can buy, as well, but I didn't take a picture of that.

Get this, or if you want a slightly heavier but still super light (3.1lbs) that extends to 63 inches instead, you can get the LS-284C instead.

Oct 25, 2017
Your wood flooring is gorgeous.

Tripod looks good, too. Will check it out.

Thank you!

The ball head comes packed in, and it comes in a nice bag and even has a center column included in the side bag. I personally bought mine from here:

www.ebay.com

Leofoto LS-224C LH-25 Carbon Fiber Tripod Ball Head for DSLR Camera Travel Stand | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Leofoto LS-224C LH-25 Carbon Fiber Tripod Ball Head for DSLR Camera Travel Stand at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

And since they have a promo to save 15% off if you buy 2 items from their store, I bought a super cheap doohickey for the tripod to bring the price down to like 180 usd for the tripod+ball head combination they sell there.

EDIT: A pic for comparison.

lQpzQQy.jpg

That sling you see on the bottom there is this:

Amazon.com : Leofoto RB-2 Universal Adjustable Tripod Rock Weight Anchor Bag : Camera & Photo

Amazon.com : Leofoto RB-2 Universal Adjustable Tripod Rock Weight Anchor Bag : Camera & Photo

A sling with velcro straps that works like this for stability:

SSlBhU6.png

Last edited:

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
So I just bought a Leofoto LS-224C.

This tripod is fucking incredible.

You know how an amazing carbon-fiber RRS tripod is like 800-1000 bucks easy? Leofoto basically made a perfect clone of it you can get off eBay for less than 200 dollars brand new. I got the 224C, which tops out at around 44 inches tall. It also only weighs 1.6 pounds by itself. They even cloned the ball-head technology RRS uses for its tripods.

This thing feels premium, works premium and I am so glad I bought it.

MrJm3wv.jpg

h6d4ieu.jpg

Get this, or if you want a slightly heavier but still super light (3.1lbs) that extends to 63 inches instead, you can get the LS-284C instead.

Hah, too late! I got a carbon fiber Manfrotto BeFree GT for ~$300.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Ah, that's fine. If you like it you like it. I'm just blown away by this thing. I can see why these Leofoto Rangers are blowing up on Reddit photography circles right now, since it's 1000 dollar tripod quality for cheap.

I went back and forth between options for a week, but I ultimately went Manfrotto because I own 2x others and the brand has been good to me.

Travel sticks are a funny product. Your Leofoto looks like a quality buy! And, WOW, it can do pans (unlike the 600-fucking-dollar Peak Design travel tripod).

I nearly got the $240 Manfrotto BeFree carbon fiber option, but the GTs got some strong praise and were a few inches taller, and I'm a hair over 6 ft, so I decided to spend a bit more.

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had a Lowepro for six years that has served me very well, the BP 250 AW II. This might fit the bill for what you want to pack and it's not terrible expensive- it's pretty rugged, too.

You can always buy a premium backpack (or just use one you already own), throw this in the bottom, and call it a day. It depends on your travel needs, of course.
I was in the same boat as you a few years ago, carrying my iPad Pro 12.9, Switch, camera gear and other accessories with me when travelling. This might seem controversial, but I don't like camera bags as they are not inconspicuous enough and well just look like camera bags. I have a Herschel Little America 25L which I use daily and just converted that into my camera bag by using a camera insert bag to hold my camera equipment and a travel bag for wires, batteries and other devices. All of it fits nice and tidy in the bag and I had room to stuff a jacket in there.

While I understand that Herschel is a 'fashion' brand, I do like the quality of the bags and I have used their lifetime warranty before when my original front cover strap broke off after 3 years of daily use. Herschel was nice enough to send me a new bag in a week. But yeah, any normal bag will do and just use inserts to make your life easier by having everything contained separately.
Thanks y'all. Yeah as I was doing research yesterday I was realizing that I'm looking for one bag to do two functions which is making it difficult. One is to be a large bag that carries all of my carry on items when traveling to a new destination but ALSO to be my day bag as I'm out on vacation. Like, it needs to carry my laptop, but I won't be bringing my laptop out for the day, it would stay in hotel. Same for headphones, various chargers, etc. Currently I just use a drawstring bag to carry things like wallet, phone, etc, but I want to be able to carry my camera and not have it on my neck. But a full size backpack seems like it would be a burden to be carrying on vacation all day.

So the idea of getting a fairly normal bag and getting inserts is good, but normal bags tend not to have the side access which seems like it would be really nice to have. But also, normal bags don't look as ugly! I want a cool bag for cool people!

Last edited:

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for something as simple as a backpack i don't understand how there's just infinite tradeoffs

-want water bottle pockets on each side for the flexibility (coming from none on my current bag which is an insane nightmare) - but many bags only have one
-want little pockets on the outsides for grabbing little things. how is it possible that these camera bags seem to have forgotten the pockets for pens and stuff????
-little pockets on the INSIDES - so many camera bags are just completely excavated caverns inside. it's meant to facilitate having the segment pieces, but seriously can't you add just ONE little zipper pocket in there?
-stop being so ugly
-waterproofing. for being 30 billion dollars this peak design bag (i know.... don't judge me) just has a flappy open top so all the rainwater can go inside? why are you like this? my dumb trash bag is even waterproof, that's like the bare minimum.

Last edited:

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
for something as simple as a backpack i don't understand how there's just infinite tradeoffs

-want water bottle pockets on each side for the flexibility (coming from none on my current bag which is an insane nightmare) - but many bags only have one
-want little pockets on the outsides for grabbing little things. how is it possible that these camera bags seem to have forgotten the pockets for pens and stuff????
-little pockets on the INSIDES - so many camera bags are just completely excavated caverns inside. it's meant to facilitate having the segment pieces, but seriously can't you add just ONE little zipper pocket in there?
-stop being so ugly
-waterproofing. for being 30 billion dollars this peak design bag (i know.... don't judge me) just has a flappy open top so all the rainwater can go inside? why are you like this? my dumb trash bag is even waterproof, that's like the bare minimum.

I think the general problem with camera bags is the design is for durability and easy access to equipment rather catering towards the fact that you might use your bag for any thing else.

There isn't really a perfect bag, for me I can't store water bottle on the outside so I had to mod it with a rock it with a carabiner to hook the water bottle - janky as hell but gets the job done.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really liking my Everyday Backpack v2 since getting it a few months ago. I use it mostly for hikes and when I travel (eventually), for everything else I use my messenger-style bag.

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

this one actually looks pretty sick tbh, gonna look into it. edit: the "jumper" bag from this brand also looks pretty good? it's a camera bag but finally one that doesn't look like some bulky thing, it's a normal backpack. idk how i glanced over this brand when searching. the jumper even has multiple colors! if that scout had colors though...

so far of all the backpacks i've looked at, i just love the fjallraven kanken. like, that's my aesthetic. but it's non functional for what i need lol

Last edited:

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Have you ever had it in the rain? Does it feel bulky/obtrusive?
No rain here lately where I am, but I'd feel pretty comfortable taking it out in some rain. If the top flap is secured on the lower notches it would be fairly hard for rain to get in I think. And the zippers seem well protected to prevent water leaking in that way.

As for the bag itself, I have the 20L and I'm about 5'10" so it doesn't feel bulky at all, even fully loaded. It's perfect for hikes, I hardly notice I have it on sometimes. I'd say the 20L is a good size if you're mainly gonna stick to camera gear inside + laptop/tablet. If you wanted camera gear plus other stuff for something like a weekend trip I'd probably go 30L.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Have you ever had it in the rain? Does it feel bulky/obtrusive?

I've taken mine out in the rain and snow plenty without concern. I've never had anything get wet inside, but I keep the flap pretty tight to the bag. The outside of the bag gets wet, but it doesn't soak through. It's coated or treated with something that makes it water resistant.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone use a Peak Capture Clip or similar? Thinking of getting one for my daypack to use on hikes, wondering if anyone had positive/negative experiences.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Anyone use a Peak Capture Clip or similar? Thinking of getting one for my daypack to use on hikes, wondering if anyone had positive/negative experiences.

I'm a fan!

I used one for a 2x week trip to Japan. My A6000 + 16-70 was almost always on my backpack strap. That was a few years ago and I've gone full frame, but I think it's still strong enough for an A7III + 24-70.