Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
You also have to put a strap on that thing properly...thing cost me $1500, love the lens though. It's big, it's niche AF, IQ and AF is great though. It's just not a lens crop sensor shooters know what to do with it. I've only seen one in person and that's the one I own.

Sometimes make me wonder if one day I'll own a 300mm F2.8. No idea what I'd do with it though, except for a moon shot.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Congrats on the nice purchase! I've been thinking a bit about getting a lighter Fuji to do some more street stuff, but that's still money spent I could put into glass. I just wished Sony updated the 35mm Zeiss 2.8 or brought another high quality smaller 35mm.

Thanks, I only got the X-T5 as my current camera was going to devalue by quite a bit and it's been 5 years so it warranted a upgrade. I would rather spend it on a new lens like the Viltrox 27mm F1.2, but the X-T5 feature set has actually made me really happy, should last me for quite a while.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Hello folks!

Ok so I am going on my first trip to New York with my son and was thinking about getting some gear to take with me and get some cool photos and videos and also to keep using said gear through the year.

Sadly I don't have an awesome dedicated photo camera and I am thinking of getting that down the line but I don't think I will be able to get everything that I want at once since I need $$$ for my trip and I can't go crazy.

What I currently have to take Photos at the moment:
Galaxy Z Fold 5
Galaxy Tab S9+

And I don't plan on using my tablet at all but it's there.

Anyways I was thinking of getting for my trip and future cycling (I ride every weekend):
  1. Insta360 Ace Pro Cycling bundle: https://store.insta360.com/product/ace-pro?c=2641&from=pic_nav
  2. Got a code for a free tripod for that also.
  3. Instaflow360 Creator bundle: Buy Flow - AI Tracking Smartphone Gimbal Stabilizer - Insta360
Going to pair the stabilizer with my z fold 5 which even thou it's not listed on the list of compatible smartphones supposedly works wonderful.

Very video-centric equipment but I should still be able to get really good photos with this what do you guys think?
I read your question but have no idea about video gear. Do you want to take photos or videos? If photos are you main interest I would by a used mirror less camera or DSLR instead 🙂

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Banned
Sep 13, 2022
Went from a d850 to a R5 and I'm kind of blown away by the advancement of technology? Mirrorless cameras are insane.

Like the eye af is like glue and I no longer have to guess how my picture will turn out and having to check after taking it. All the information is right there on the sceeen. What you see is what you get and that's insane.

Oct 25, 2017
Went from a d850 to a R5 and I'm kind of blown away by the advancement of technology? Mirrorless cameras are insane.

Like the eye af is like glue and I no longer have to guess how my picture will turn out and having to check after taking it. All the information is right there on the sceeen. What you see is what you get and that's insane.
What you see is what you get exists until you do flash based work then it becomes..."yeah I'm still guessing, but at least I have IBIS and full sensor AF points and eye AF" LOL

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that will be tonight. I've been avoiding flash on the last few jobs but shooting at a beach tonight with absolutely no shade anywhere.
I honestly use flash so I don't have to iso ride as much, can keep some semblance of color consistency and not have to lift shadows as much in post. Granted I'm indoors a lot for my photography work. Beach shoot sounds fun.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Banned
Sep 13, 2022
I honestly use flash so I don't have to iso ride as much, can keep some semblance of color consistency and not have to lift shadows as much in post. Granted I'm indoors a lot for my photography work. Beach shoot sounds fun.
I feel like even at low iso (100) the R5 is grainy, that's my only complaint. Easy fix but do find it weird for such an advanced camera.

Yeah I live like 30 minutes away from every popular west coast Florida beach so it's constant tourists looking for sessions and about 1,000 photographers via-ing for those jobs.

Just rented the RF 70-200 for one of our kids graduations as well. Made sure I'm keeping it long enough to use for about 4 of my jobs.

I think I'll end up with the EF version with the converter though. Rebuilding a canon lens library after years of Nikon will be rough but fuck it I'll finally have a white lens. Canon envy days are over.

Oct 25, 2017
Had white lenses on Sony and have an off white lens on Fujifilm. Honestly find that shit annoying with the attention they gather. Canon is "weird" with their sensors. They were never as clean iso wise as whatever Nikon was using at the time, some of the stuff has worse DR than an XT3 and apparently even with baked in NR iso 100 is still grainy. Yikes. I'm busy so own two different 70-200's currently and I'm trying not to buy the Fuji 50-140 to add another one, but I've had a good amount of lenses of that type at this point. They're all solid workhorses, though it feel like I use mine sparingly these days...yet I always pack it just because "you never know."
I feel like even at low iso (100) the R5 is grainy, that's my only complaint. Easy fix but do find it weird for such an advanced camera.

Yeah I live like 30 minutes away from every popular west coast Florida beach so it's constant tourists looking for sessions and about 1,000 photographers via-ing for those jobs.

Just rented the RF 70-200 for one of our kids graduations as well. Made sure I'm keeping it long enough to use for about 4 of my jobs.

I think I'll end up with the EF version with the converter though. Rebuilding a canon lens library after years of Nikon will be rough but fuck it I'll finally have a white lens. Canon envy days are over.

thedracocat

Jun 13, 2022
I'm headed to Indian Rocks tonight for the weekend!

Also, the best Canon lenses are black! My two favorites right now are the 85 1.2 and my newest workhorse, the 24-105 2.8.

Welcome to the Canon fam. I think it's just the two of us in this thread..

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Banned
Sep 13, 2022

Also, the best Canon lenses are black! My two favorites right now are the 85 1.2 and my newest workhorse, the 24-105 2.8.

Get out of here only two? I was a Nikon fan for so long but after using a Zed8 and R5 to shoot a track meet, there was no way I was going to move forward with the Z8. Canon (and Sony) seem to have some wizardry going on with their eye autofocus.

Oct 25, 2017

I think there are more active Canon and Sony people in this thread than Nikon and Fuji people. I'm like the only active dual rep and even I toned down my posting frequency to not annoy people in the photography thread LOL

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
A fixed lens Fujifilm GFX camera is supposedly on the way:

Fujifilm to Release This All New Digital Camera in 2025 - Fuji Rumors

TL;DR No Time to Read or Watch? → It’s the digital version of this camera here, or alternatively you can consider it as an over-sized version of this Fujifilm camera here. The Rumor I long wondered why Fujifilm has not made this camera yet. So much so that I made a dedicated article and…

Oct 25, 2017
A fixed lens Fujifilm GFX camera is supposedly on the way:

Fujifilm to Release This All New Digital Camera in 2025 - Fuji Rumors

TL;DR No Time to Read or Watch? → It’s the digital version of this camera here, or alternatively you can consider it as an over-sized version of this Fujifilm camera here. The Rumor I long wondered why Fujifilm has not made this camera yet. So much so that I made a dedicated article and…
I wonder how much shorter they can make the 45 2.8 by fusing half of it into a camera and pressing as much of it as they can onto the sensor.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
I read your question but have no idea about video gear. Do you want to take photos or videos? If photos are you main interest I would by a used mirror less camera or DSLR instead 🙂
Thanks for the response! I wanted to both do videos and photos. Sort of wanted to do like a vacation video with photos included and get some gear I could use for the future. I really like both videos and photography.

I did decide on something else that what was on my post thou. I went ahead and bought this mirrorless camera (Creator kit version that comes with more stuff) to get me started on videos and photos:

Cannon EOS R50 Creator Kit

Also bought an extra battery
512sd card
uv lens filter
screen protector

Hopefully that is good enough for a newbie like me to start my video/photography journey. I only ever had a Sony a6000 for a very brief period of time which I had to let go of but I've been meaning to get into this.

And I will probably get that gimbal for my phone which I will order today when I get home.

Last edited:

SCHUEY 117

Oct 25, 2017
Foe those that have been shooting for a while have you ever had an SD card fail on you? Somewhat curious on the a7cr, but it only has one slot.

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the response! I wanted to both do videos and photos. Sort of wanted to do like a vacation video with photos included and get some gear I could use for the future. I really like both videos and photography.

I did decide on something else that what was on my post thou. I went ahead and bought this mirrorless camera (Creator kit version that comes with more stuff) to get me started on videos and photos:

Cannon EOS R50 Creator Kit

Also bought an extra battery
512sd card
uv lens filter
screen protector

Hopefully that is good enough for a newbie like me to start my video/photography journey. I only ever had a Sony a6000 for a very brief period of time which I had to let go of but I've been meaning to get into this.

And I will probably get that gimbal for my phone which I will order today when I get home.
I think Jaded Photographer can answer this for you since he uses canon a lot.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Foe those that have been shooting for a while have you ever had an SD card fail on you? Somewhat curious on the a7cr, but it only has one slot.
Personally I have not had any full sized SD cards used in my cameras fail (micro SD cards in my laptop are another matter). I use an a7III so I have dual SD cards (although Slot 1 is faster) and I have it set to record video on Slot 2 and photos on Slot 1 (until it needs more space). I also have a few backup SD cards that I keep around since they are quite cheap.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Jaded Photographer can answer this for you since he uses canon a lot.
I'm the guy that got my office off of EF mount and into Z mount. I have experience with stuff like the mark one C100 and current C70. The R50 isn't exactly my scene. R50 is a beginners camera with like no progression mount wise. There's some things here and there. You're basically locked into buying the Sigma stuff that was recently released. It's what it is. Buy it, enjoy it.

eazyweazy3

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any good and active camera/photography forums similar to what ResetEra is to video games? I enjoy seeing people's pictures, gear, pickups, etc.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
I'm looking for a camera strap and I think I have a very specific requirement on how I need it to function.

I carry my camera bag (Peak Design Everyday Sling 6L) cross body, so on one shoulder and under the other (if that's the correct description). I usually use a wrist strap, and that works fine, but when I'm out shooting longer sessions, I also like to use a shoulder strap. For now I have the Peak Design Leash, and while it's fine, it's a little clunky to also have it cross shoulder, but opposite of my bag. The issue is, they kinda tangle into one another. Either the camera strap is on top of the bag, or the other way around, and accessing one or the other is always more difficult. I'm thinking of trying one of those that have a sliding hook, but I'm not sure how it would work on my setup without trying it out.

Anybody else wears a bag and a strap? How do you do it?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm looking for a camera strap and I think I have a very specific requirement on how I need it to function.

I carry my camera bag (Peak Design Everyday Sling 6L) cross body, so on one shoulder and under the other (if that's the correct description). I usually use a wrist strap, and that works fine, but when I'm out shooting longer sessions, I also like to use a shoulder strap. For now I have the Peak Design Leash, and while it's fine, it's a little clunky to also have it cross shoulder, but opposite of my bag. The issue is, they kinda tangle into one another. Either the camera strap is on top of the bag, or the other way around, and accessing one or the other is always more difficult. I'm thinking of trying one of those that have a sliding hook, but I'm not sure how it would work on my setup without trying it out.

Anybody else wears a bag and a strap? How do you do it?
when I'm out hiking/walking with a backpack and my heavy gear (Lumix S1 and lenses), I use a hand strap and the Peak Capture Clip, which is brilliant. I would not use it with a 70-200 or other very heavy lenses, though.

With my M10R I also use the 6L Sling and a rope strap, which also works good enough. But the camera and lenses are extremely light in comparison to my L-Mount gear.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
when I'm out hiking/walking with a backpack and my heavy gear (Lumix S1 and lenses), I use a hand strap and the Peak Capture Clip, which is brilliant. I would not use it with a 70-200 or other very heavy lenses, though.

With my M10R I also use the 6L Sling and a rope strap, which also works good enough. But the camera and lenses are extremely light in comparison to my L-Mount gear.
I have a Fuji and most of the time I use a 18-50mm, or 55-200, so the weight ranges between like 700g to I think 1000 or so. Do you use the capture clip on the dedicated capture clip mounting point for the sling, or maybe on the bag strap on your body?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I have a Fuji and most of the time I use a 18-50mm, or 55-200, so the weight ranges between like 700g to I think 1000 or so. Do you use the capture clip on the dedicated capture clip mounting point for the sling, or maybe on the bag strap on your body?
only used the capture clip with my hiking backpacks and the Everyday Backpack yet, but a light Fuji should work really well with it.

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
Funny thing is that we have users on this site who were definitely in middle school when everyone was back on the old site. Now done with college and working regular jobs.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Does anyone here sell prints?

I don't have a problem with coming up with pricing for framed prints, which is an additional 100% to 150% of the cost of the item from the print shop. That can easily come out to $250 to $500.

But if someone asks for a loose print, that costs me like $5 to $15 depending on the size. Doubling the cost seems like not worth it. So I feel like a price of $50 for an 8x12 and scale it up from there for larger versions? What do you guys charge?

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I found a used Sony 200-600mm G being sold an hour away for $1400 on Facebook, and now it's mine! Seems to be perfect. Better price than I had seen on most listings. Sucker is HEAVY.

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone here sell prints?

I don't have a problem with coming up with pricing for framed prints, which is an additional 100% to 150% of the cost of the item from the print shop. That can easily come out to $250 to $500.

But if someone asks for a loose print, that costs me like $5 to $15 depending on the size. Doubling the cost seems like not worth it. So I feel like a price of $50 for an 8x12 and scale it up from there for larger versions? What do you guys charge?
the easy answer is just charge your framed price minus the cost of the frame. ultimately if you don't you are devaluing your work.

SCHUEY 117

Oct 25, 2017
The GFX 100SII looks pretty sweet. Wish I had more money lol. If I traded all my gear I could probably only get the body 😂

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Holy shit, the X-T50 is $500 more expensive than X-T30 II. $100 more than X-S20. I thought it was a mid range camera and a X-T30 replacement!

edit: I can't wrap my head around this camera. I was kinda excited for it as a step up upgrade from mine, but this just makes no sense from any way I look at it. It's way too close in price to X-S20 and X-T5. They replaced ISO dial with Film Sim dial. It uses the old 126S battery. And it's not water resistant. Who is this for? Does this just exist to sell more X-T5s?

Last edited:

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone rent cameras? I think that would make a lot more sense to me with GFX/ medium format cameras tilt shift lense when I do an architectural shoot.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, the X-T50 is $500 more expensive than X-T30 II. $100 more than X-S20. I thought it was a mid range camera and a X-T30 replacement!

edit: I can't wrap my head around this camera. I was kinda excited for it as a step up upgrade from mine, but this just makes no sense from any way I look at it. It's way too close in price to X-S20 and X-T5. They replaced ISO dial with Film Sim dial. It uses the old 126S battery. And it's not water resistant. Who is this for? Does this just exist to sell more X-T5s?
Just buy the XT5 or XH2 to be honest. I have no idea who they're marketing that camera too since it's priced stupidly.
The GFX 100SII looks pretty sweet. Wish I had more money lol. If I traded all my gear I could probably only get the body 😂
The 100S is the easier pill to swallow for GFX unless you want to wait to save up some more. Also really depends on what it is that you photograph. Street and portraits I love the camera for. Anything that's movement based is a hard no though.

thedracocat

Jun 13, 2022
Does anyone rent cameras? I think that would make a lot more sense to me with GFX/ medium format cameras tilt shift lense when I do an architectural shoot.
Check out LensRentals.com if you're in the States. They always have promos going on, and you can also get $25 off if you ask someone that has rented from them before.

Oct 25, 2017
For this price I'm good with what I have for now! I was only thinking of X-T50 if they kept the X-T30 II price.
With the way inflation works that was never going to happen. Even still I can't see why they jumped the price that much.
Edit:
Did some checking. The X-T50 kit with the 16-50 is way too close in price to a Z6II with the 24-70 F4. Unless size means that much you it's a no brainer what to buy over it.

Last edited:

SCHUEY 117

Oct 25, 2017
Just buy the XT5 or XH2 to be honest. I have no idea who they're marketing that camera too since it's priced stupidly.

The 100S is the easier pill to swallow for GFX unless you want to wait to save up some more. Also really depends on what it is that you photograph. Street and portraits I love the camera for. Anything that's movement based is a hard no though.

My photography is all over the place so it probably makes the most sense to stick with what I have. The 500mm could handle wildlife. It's a 3K CAD lens though l

The SII looks to be less expensive than the S when it first came out.

Oct 25, 2017
My photography is all over the place so it probably makes the most sense to stick with what I have. The 500mm could handle wildlife. It's a 3K CAD lens though l

The SII looks to be less expensive than the S when it first came out.
Yeah I think there's a $1500 difference ($2500 compared to the 100II). I'd trust an SII for wildlife over the S easily, granted I have no experience with the current AF system. If the 100II has viable AF-C that's already an improvement in the right place.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
X-S20 seems very compelling over the 50 to me. More flexible controls, better grip, better video, cheaper, more sensible megapixels.

vemodalen

Nov 14, 2017
I just rented a lens from lensrentals.com this morning. I have an X2D on the way and can't find any of the new V lenses for sale anywhere so I'm renting first. If anyone has a used one for sale, let me know :)

I've used lensrentals a few times in the past and it's a great option for trying out gear. I mostly rent telephotos for the occasional wildlife photography adventure.

Oct 25, 2017
X-S20 seems very compelling over the 50 to me. More flexible controls, better grip, better video, cheaper, more sensible megapixels.
Yeah they might have to just axe the X-Txx line after this. It's being priced too close to the higher budget bodies to justify it's existence and it can't get the X-S20 sensor because the X-S20 is already a budget XH2S, we don't need a baby baby XH2S.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017

You can't make sense of Fuji these days. They seem to have incredibly bad supply issues and are just increasing prices just so they can cope with demand. They have world's best selling camera at the moment and they seem to be able to produce 20K units a month? For reference, at 235M iPhones sold per year, Apple produces them at 27K units each hour on average. Not saying that they need to be able to meet such a pace, but why they haven't balanced their lines to allow for 100K+ units a month is baffling to me. They also cancelled production of a lot of older models but haven't announced replacements. Something really fishy is going on there at their manufacturing plants.

Oct 25, 2017
You can't make sense of Fuji these days. They seem to have incredibly bad supply issues and are just increasing prices just so they can cope with demand. They have world's best selling camera at the moment and they seem to be able to produce 20K units a month? For reference, at 235M iPhones sold per year, Apple produces them at 27K units each hour on average. Not saying that they need to be able to meet such a pace, but why they haven't balanced their lines to allow for 100K+ units a month is baffling to me. They also cancelled production of a lot of older models but haven't announced replacements. Something really fishy is going on there at their manufacturing plants.
I honestly think they're the smallest of the camera manufacturers. They ain't Sony, probably buy way less parts than Canon and I'm pretty sure they're stuff isn't made with potential child labor via Foxconn like an Iphone is. I'm also pretty sure an X100 is way harder to put together than an Iphone is as well so I wouldn't make that comparison. I get the feeling that when they switched leadership the dude was like, "we need to actually be profitable." So they make a certain amount of a product and just straight kill it after that. Nobody needs to have a brand new in box X-T2 on a Best Buy shelf like you have with the A7II.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well..... I got an X-T5 after seeing the X-T50 lol.

I managed to get it last night on sale from £1700 to £1450, I'm going to sell off my X-T30 and a lens which will make the X-T5 cost only £700 afterwards - which is quite a nice upgrade. Already finding IBIS amazing for macro work. I think the only other reason I wanted it was for weather sealing when travelling and the 40MP is great for landscape / Wide angle work and maybe some film scanning in the future. Also going to use it as a webcam. Hopefully this camera lasts me 5 years as well.

FRsqSWR.jpeg

I was going to get the X-T50 but the price is not justified for the features it offers, plus the rumours on that camera make me feel that this isn't the camera for me anymore. I do notice the weight difference between them though, especially with a grip so might have to consider not using the rope strap as it does hurt the neck if you're using it for the whole day.

rn7EvVH.jpeg

Glad I got the x_t5 when it was on sale lol, that X-T50 is two stenos backwards and that body only price is just stupid.