• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone got any of the super wide Fujis? is the 10-24 any good? I had the 9-18 for M43...which allowed shots like these:

https://flic.kr/p/dy5Yvu

https://flic.kr/p/dy5ZbS

https://flic.kr/p/dy5ZeG

That wasn't even a really pro grade lens or anything.
The 10-24 is the default landscape zoom, 15-36 full frame equivalent. Your 9-18 was 18-36 equivalent, so the fuji is actually a good deal wider.

However, I'd use 10 and 11mm with discretion as you enter the UWA zone and things at the corners get really fucky. The 10-24 is an ok lens, it is pretty slow, has OIS, and is not weather resistant.

Here's an example at 10mm, where you get pretty extreme distortion.

Sherman Tree Trail sunrise by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

On the longer end (this is at 23mm) it can perform absolutely stunningly.

Upper Yosemite Falls by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

I did find that it was a bit flare prone, and overall was glad I just rented it instead of investing in it.

Exploring Saguaro by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Last edited:

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
The 10-24 is the default landscape zoom, 15-36 full frame equivalent. Your 9-18 was 18-36 equivalent, so the fuji is actually a good deal wider.

However, I'd use 10 and 11mm with discretion as you enter the UWA zone and things at the corners get really fucky. The 10-24 is an ok lens, it is pretty slow, has OIS, and is not weather resistant.

Here's an example at 10mm, where you get pretty extreme distortion.

by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

On the longer end (this is at 23mm) it can perform absolutely stunningly.

I did find that it was a bit flare prone, and overall was glad I just rented it instead of investing in it.

Thanks, fair enough. I am basically wondering between this and the 12mm Zeiss lens. I don't need a zoom and the Zeiss is AF, pretty fast and compact. There's of course the new 8-16 lens, but that's hefty as fuck.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, fair enough. I am basically wondering between this and the 12mm Zeiss lens. I don't need a zoom and the Zeiss is AF, pretty fast and compact. There's of course the new 8-16 lens, but that's hefty as fuck.
18mm equivalent is such a wonky length...too long for really wide angle landscapes, and WAY too narrow for a lot of other things. Of course, yeah, it'll be compact and light, but it's applications are far more limited.

The 10-24 is a brick too, similar to the 8-16. Really boils down to what you'll be shooting.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got a few minutes to unbox and play with the 70 - 200 GM. Just in my dimly lit living room, but damn, this thing just oozes quality. Its construction is markedly better than any other lens I own, but that does add to the weight! Heavy bastard.

What has most impressed me thus far is the focus speed and accuracy. Goddamn. Paired with the A9 this thing is just lightning fast at acquiring AF and it seems smarter somehow at identifying eyes and faces and not front focusing on hands or other objects that get in the way. Also, it doesn't have any of the issues that cause you to lose focus while zooming that I often get with my G series lenses (24 - 105 and 70 - 300).

Won't be able to really test it out until tomorrow, but first impressions are very positive.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got a few minutes to unbox and play with the 70 - 200 GM. Just in my dimly lit living room, but damn, this thing just oozes quality. Its construction is markedly better than any other lens I own, but that does add to the weight! Heavy bastard.

What has most impressed me thus far is the focus speed and accuracy. Goddamn. Paired with the A9 this thing is just lightning fast at acquiring AF and it seems smarter somehow at identifying eyes and faces and not front focusing on hands or other objects that get in the way. Also, it doesn't have any of the issues that cause you to lose focus while zooming that I often get with my G series lenses (24 - 105 and 70 - 300).

Won't be able to really test it out until tomorrow, but first impressions are very positive.
Yeah it's a good product. I was quite impressed with it, sharp too. You got measurebators criticizing it but overall I've been more than pleased with its output. The bokeh is way smoother than my Tamron for example.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Zefah

Sorry for the delay. I can't exactly speak to the quality of a 2x tele converter in the m43 space, but a good one seems to cost about $500 and I don't have one.

Ignoring that and just going with

Body of choice (very good cheap options are m10 ii or III, or gx9, $400-600)

1.7 20 $150 eBay
1.7 25 $150 new
18mm-28 equiv with ricoh wa convert $150, without convert 30-70 equiv roughly
100-300mm equiv $150 new
200-600 equiv new $500 new

So realistically sub $1500 18-600mm equiv or sub $2k 18mm-1200mm equiv. The non "pro" glass actuallly is pretty damn good. Get into needing pro glass then probably multiply above by 1.5-2x.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I think I'm going to have to sell my Sigma 135mm f/1.8. Just played around with my new 70 - 200 f/2.8 GM with my wife and kids at the park a bit earlier, and even at 135mm, I feel like f/2.8 is more than enough to get good background separation. The Sigma probably still looks a bit sharper, but it's not enough to justify keeping it over the $1,000 or so I can get for it.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I think I'm going to have to sell my Sigma 135mm f/1.8. Just played around with my new 70 - 200 f/2.8 GM with my wife and kids at the park a bit earlier, and even at 135mm, I feel like f/2.8 is more than enough to get good background separation. The Sigma probably still looks a bit sharper, but it's not enough to justify keeping it over the $1,000 or so I can get for it.
Shouldn't have any problem selling it on Fred Miranda or eBay, that's a very popular lens. Glad you're liking the GM!

You should definitely sell it before the Sony 135 is announced on Monday!

Oct 25, 2017
The GM is great, the Sigma is only really worth keeping if you do a ton of portraits.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Hmmm....the GFX50r + GF45mm is about 5200 + tax. I mean if fidelity is the ultimate goal, that just might be the best travel/street combo that exists currently.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm....the GFX50r + GF45mm is about 5200 + tax. I mean if fidelity is the ultimate goal, that just might be the best travel/street combo that exists currently.
Nah, the GFX ain't it for anything remotely AF dependent. Landscapes, yes, the IQ is far beyond the FF Sony sensors. Looks like the second gen of the GFX line might get the XT3 AF engine, which would be INCREDIBLE.

Calling the 50R a walk around cam is also pushing the limits of that form factor, lol.

jongkookie

Oct 25, 2017
Thought this was a ridiculous sight so hopefully y'all think the same lol:

😂😂😂

It's my D800 + Tamron 28-75 on a rig and this thing surprisingly weighs only 5.5 pounds. It fels like 20 tho lol.

I sent Adorama my gear a few days ago so now I'm just trying to see if this setup is worth shit and it is, as long as I turn off AF coz AF-F is garbage for video. Not only does it hunt like a madman, it just makes too much noise when focusing so it's utterly useless imho. Also, I just discovered the greatness of digiCamControl and now I can just tether my D800 to my computer and record video so I'm pretty excited. With this little discovery, I might rethink what I'm trying to do with my new camera so we'll see how it goes lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Thought this was a ridiculous sight so hopefully y'all think the same lol:

😂😂😂

It's my D800 + Tamron 28-75 on a rig and this thing surprisingly weighs only 5.5 pounds. It fels like 20 tho lol.

I sent Adorama my gear a few days ago so now I'm just trying to see if this setup is worth shit and it is, as long as I turn off AF coz AF-F is garbage for video. Not only does it hunt like a madman, it just makes too much noise when focusing so it's utterly useless imho. Also, I just discovered the greatness of digiCamControl and now I can just tether my D800 to my computer and record video so I'm pretty excited. With this little discovery, I might rethink what I'm trying to do with my new camera so we'll see how it goes lol.
I see rigs regularly enough actually. Saw one on a Canon on my last shoot actually which was yesterday. Rigs are the best way to stabilize to be honest. Some just use the other cam for either something else or to lighten the rig load.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys. I'm wondering if I can get some advice from the folks in here. My dad, who was a professional photographer, died last year, and I've inherited his photographic equipment. I'm pretty comfortable with cameras, in that I can take a good photo and know in general terms what does what, but I'm frankly overwhelmed with all the lens options I've got here.

img_13205ejbv.jpg

I'm not a complete layman in that I know what all those numbers mean, but is there a good resource to read through about how to choose a certain lens for a given situation and the properties of different ones? I'm going to experiment with them, obviously, but a bit of a primer would be useful. I like to photograph landscapes and architecture in particular.

I've gone from having a nice point-and-shoot Panasonic superzoom that I can throw in my pocket to essentially a whole studio setup here, lights and all, and it's slightly overwhelming!

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ those Nikon model names and markings are an absolute nightmare. You're well covered from a focal length perspective with the 24-85 and 70-300 combo for just about any outing. None of those lenses are particularly impressive specs wise from an aperture point of view though, so don't expect low light miracles.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Getting the itch to buy gear now that I have my tax return. I don't even have anything I specifically want.

I kind of want to get a Ricoh GR1 and start shooting a ton of film, but the prices on those have skyrocketed apparently since the last time I was jonesing for a film camera. Might look for an alternative in the same family.

Maybe should splurge on a sky tracking mount.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Getting the itch to buy gear now that I have my tax return. I don't even have anything I specifically want.

I kind of want to get a Ricoh GR1 and start shooting a ton of film, but the prices on those have skyrocketed apparently since the last time I was jonesing for a film camera. Might look for an alternative in the same family.

Maybe should splurge on a sky tracking mount.

Yeah, it seems like most, if not all of the quality 35mm film compacts have exploded in popularity over the past couple of years. I'm sure you are aware, but most people attribute this to celebrities, models, and influencers causing a resurgence in interest in luxury film compacts like the Contax T2. In the case of your Ricoh GR1, I'm sure the price spike is at least partially a result of one of the most popular camera youtubers making a video on it last year.

For a time I wanted a Fujifilm Klasse S (a premium 35mm compact from the 2000s) but it seems to have tripled in value on the second-hand market, and now sells for more than it cost when it was brand new. These current prices make me leery of spending that much on a product so dependent on electronics that cannot be repaired easily considering the lack of replacement parts. I would still love to have a small 35mm camera with a good lens and program mode, so I guess my plan is to lurk yard sales or thrift stores that haven't been picked over in hope for something with a similar form factor, lol.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Blargh...looks like Sony is only announcing the 135GM tomorrow and no 35/1.8. Guess I'll be adapting the 40/2.8 a bit longer.

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone here tried the Tamron 28-75 2.8 for Sony?
I oddly fell out of favor with that thing pretty hard, it's a really good budget lens that wouldn't exactly bring out the best from something like an A9 AF wise and it's a bit too narrow at the wide end. It's pretty much a lens I'd have, but still need to pack around an even wider lens just to make sure I have complete coverage so with that in mind it kind of completely negated the cost savings that it has. It pretty much always equaled the price of the 24-70GM in that regard. If you never need 24mm get it. There's also the aspect of forward compatibility. I tend to not like having to do firmware updates for everything I buy, not to mention not even knowing when something is going to get patched.

Oct 27, 2017

Ricoh GR1 is infamous for LCD issues which, while not necessarily critical, really suck since Ricoh doesn't repair them anymore and I doubt you'd find a third party doing repairs on them. Same deal with most high end compacts, Contax ones specifically go for crazy amounts of money since people just see the Carl Zeiss T* mark. Even used Olympus mju-II go for more than what they cost when new, and those are quite mediocre compacts made to be inexpensive.

Related to film, some bad news from Fujifilm once again:
http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n190225.html
Fujifilm announces worldwide price revision of Photographic Film and Photographic Paper

February 25, 2019

FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno), the leader in photographic products, is announcing that it will implement a worldwide price revision for its photographic films and photographic papers. Fujifilm has always provided the highest quality products to the global market. Over the past several years, Fujifilm has faced the rising cost of raw materials and logistics. In the past Fujifilm has absorbed some of the costs by undertaking intensive structural reforms and communalization of production facilities, but as a responsible manufacturing company and to provide the high-quality products our customers expect, the company will institute a price increase.
1. Products and percent increase Photographic film :
Color Negative Film, Color Reversal Film, Quick Snap, Control Strips
The minimum increase is expected to 30%
Photographic paper :
All of Photographic paper
The minimum increase is a double-digit percentage.
2. Date of price increase Effective from April 1st, 2019 onward
this kills the film

Oct 25, 2017
And people wonder why I want nothing to do with film. Not to mention that I really don't even like the way it looks half the time. Medium format yeah sure fine, but not 35mm.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it seems like most, if not all of the quality 35mm film compacts have exploded in popularity over the past couple of years. I'm sure you are aware, but most people attribute this to celebrities, models, and influencers causing a resurgence in interest in luxury film compacts like the Contax T2. In the case of your Ricoh GR1, I'm sure the price spike is at least partially a result of one of the most popular camera youtubers making a video on it last year.

For a time I wanted a Fujifilm Klasse S (a premium 35mm compact from the 2000s) but it seems to have tripled in value on the second-hand market, and now sells for more than it cost when it was brand new. These current prices make me leery of spending that much on a product so dependent on electronics that cannot be repaired easily considering the lack of replacement parts. I would still love to have a small 35mm camera with a good lens and program mode, so I guess my plan is to lurk yard sales or thrift stores that haven't been picked over in hope for something with a similar form factor, lol.

Yeah I went down the rabbit hole this morning and was pretty disappointed to see the second hand market in the shape it's in. I have some older film cameras, but lugging around a Canon AE-1 is a pain in the neck compared to a compact point and shoot.

I'd like to start shooting film and just putting it away for a long time before developing.

Might just hit pause on those plans and wait for everyone to get bored with their cameras.

Oct 27, 2017
Time to gobble up some Superia 400 real quick
I wish I could get Superia as cheap here as in the US. This is probably going to push the price quite close to the cost of a roll of Portra 400.
Really what I am most annoyed with is how expensive Provia and Velvia will be after this. Ektachrome costs as much or more than the Fujichromes and looks much worse so I'll probably end up buying Fuji's slide films even with this upcoming price increase.

Yeah I went down the rabbit hole this morning and was pretty disappointed to see the second hand market in the shape it's in. I have some older film cameras, but lugging around a Canon AE-1 is a pain in the neck compared to a compact point and shoot.

I'd like to start shooting film and just putting it away for a long time before developing.

Might just hit pause on those plans and wait for everyone to get bored with their cameras.

Your best bet is probably buying a Canon compact from the early 2000s like the SureShot 80u. I think they all are zooms which may not be ideal, but they should be really cheap compared to the hyped up prime lens compacts with janky early 90s AF systems.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shit... I put in a Greentoe offer of $1825 for the 24-70 GM lens and it got accepted... Not sure why I even tried it since I don't really need it.

Oh well, I'll try it, and if I somehow like it a lot better than the 24-105, I'll probably just sell that since it seems like a good used copy goes for around $1100 now. I think I will miss the longer end focal length, though.

I gotta stop messing around on Greentoe. These savings are insane, but I shouldn't be spending this money, haha.

Oct 25, 2017
Shit... I put in a Greentoe offer of $1825 for the 24-70 GM lens and it got accepted... Not sure why I even tried it since I don't really need it.

Oh well, I'll try it, and if I somehow like it a lot better than the 24-105, I'll probably just sell that since it seems like a good used copy goes for around $1100 now. I think I will miss the longer end focal length, though.

I gotta stop messing around on Greentoe. These savings are insane, but I shouldn't be spending this money, haha.
That's most likely my next lens at some point I think. It mainly depends on what you're shooting and if you'd rather have the light gathering or extra range more.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a canonet, I should see what it'd take to repair it and find a roll or two to shoot.
Good luck, I've been sinking money into my Canonete since I started rehabbing it. I shot 3 rolls through it, and now my shutter is stuck, the timer mechanism got stuck, and the film advancing lever is stuck. Probably looking at a full teardown rehab of it now which will be around $200. The only reason I'm even considering it is the fact it was my granddad's.

Hey, so yeah...sharp as hell and relatively compact for that zoom length. I had banding when pushing iso, banding that doesn't occur with any other lens. I returned it for that reason and spent way too much on the GM, which has performed well.
For what it's worth, your banding issue sounded like you had EFCS on at too high of a shutter speed, possibly. The Sonys have a bug basically than any shutter speed over 1/1000 will lead to banding with EFCS on.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's most likely my next lens at some point I think. It mainly depends on what you're shooting and if you'd rather have the light gathering or extra range more.

Yeah, I've got some thinking to do before it arrives. I actually didn't even know the GM does not have lens stabilization until after the offer was accepted!

Basically, I'll be losing 35mm on the telephoto end, losing OSS, putting on a bunch of weight and size all for 1 stop of light and possibly better AF tracking performance.

Basically, the 24-70 GM will only be better when I need, say, higher than 1/200 shutter speed indoors and I'm already pushing the limits of my ISO.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

trapperkreeper will be in the market for a 24-105 in the next week ;-)

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've got some thinking to do before it arrives. I actually didn't even know the GM does not have lens stabilization until after the offer was accepted!

Basically, I'll be losing 35mm on the telephoto end, losing OSS, putting on a bunch of weight and size all for 1 stop of light and possibly better AF tracking performance.

Basically, the 24-70 GM will only be better when I need, say, higher than 1/200 shutter speed indoors and I'm already pushing the limits of my ISO.
As an indoor event photographer that is how I live and breathe, but it's what would suit, me. You would have more questions to ask regarding it. I don't mind weight too much these days. It's balanced fine on an A9 for example. Using the Peak Design straps as a walk around shoulder strap really helps to mitigate weight a bit since it's not hanging off your neck.
trapperkreeper will be in the market for a 24-105 in the next week ;-)
Lol I guess you talked him into taking the E Mount plunge then.

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck, I've been sinking money into my Canonete since I started rehabbing it. I shot 3 rolls through it, and now my shutter is stuck, the timer mechanism got stuck, and the film advancing lever is stuck. Probably looking at a full teardown rehab of it now which will be around $200. The only reason I'm even considering it is the fact it was my granddad's./
Eef. Okay maybe not.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As an indoor event photographer that is how I live and breathe, but it's what would suit, me. You would have more questions to ask regarding it. I don't mind weight too much these days. It's balanced fine on an A9 for example. Using the Peak Design straps as a walk around shoulder strap really helps to mitigate weight a bit since it's not hanging off your neck.

Lol I guess you talked him into taking the E Mount plunge then.

Yeah, the weight is not too big of a deal. I honestly don't even mind the 70-200 and it's the biggest/heaviest lens I own. I'll give the 24-70 a go for a couple of days and return/sell it if I'm not enamored compared to the 24-105.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the weight is not too big of a deal. I honestly don't even mind the 70-200 and it's the biggest/heaviest lens I own. I'll give the 24-70 a go for a couple of days and return/sell it if I'm not enamored compared to the 24-105.
Yeah the two GM's would make great walk around park lenses to be honest. I actually started toying with the idea of getting a 70-300G at some point, but that thing's hella expensive for only adding an extra 100mm, but there aren't that many E mount telephotos.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, so yeah...sharp as hell and relatively compact for that zoom length. I had banding when pushing iso, banding that doesn't occur with any other lens. I returned it for that reason and spent way too much on the GM, which has performed well.

I remember seeing a thread over on DPReview about that. Was this you, or someone else?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4334778#forum-post-61860143

I really had no idea that a lens could end up causing banding. I thought that was entirely down to the image sensor/processor.