Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm debating the legitimacy of chiropractic with a family member and this has come up.

Apparently they can, and this is being used in support of chiropractic (I dismiss it as a pseudoscience).

The only thing I've read on it is that FMLA requires that an x-ray is provided in tandem with the absence, but I don't think a chiropractor can use an x-ray machine for medical purposes since they don't have a license, but that's just a guess on my part.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They had six solid weekends of training to become a chiropracter; if they're not qualified to dispense medical leaves of absence, who is?

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
MV5BMTY5MjQ3MDk1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjYxODg0MjE@._V1_.jpg

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Health Care Provider

Health care providers who may provide certification of a serious health condition include:

• doctors of medicine or osteopathy authorized to practice medicine or surgery (as appropriate) by the State in which the doctor practices;
  • podiatrists, dentists, clinical psychologists, optometrists, and chiropractors (limited to treatment consisting of manual manipulation of the spine to correct a subluxation as demonstrated by X-ray to exist) authorized to practice in the State and performing within the scope of their practice under State law;
  • nurse practitioners, nurse-midwives, and clinical social workers authorized to practice under State law and performing within the scope of their practice as defined under State law;
  • Christian Science practitioners listed with the First Church of Christ, Scientist in Boston, Massachusetts;
  • any health care provider recognized by the employer or the employer's group health plan's benefits manager; and,
  • a health care provider listed above who practices in a country other than the United States and who is authorized to practice under the laws of that country.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/1421.htm

2lW67v4.gif

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
From what I understand, chiropractors in the US anyway are becoming more legitimate. They have to be licensed these days, I'm pretty sure.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
So what if they can? I wouldn't be surprised if American law did a pretty shit job at differentiating a voodoo doctor from an actual medical practitioner.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
From what I understand, chiropractors in the US anyway are becoming more legitimate. They have to be licensed these days, I'm pretty sure.
Most places are just massage therapy and physical therapy from what I've noticed and based on people I know in both of those fields, so it's been legit for awhile. Just like massages, you can easily slide into a sketch place though. But they're even covered by insurance.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Chiropractors are surprisingly licensed here in Canada - though that doesn't stop me from thinking they're crackpots. Almost all extended health covers them and there are provincial funds available for people in accidents to see a chiropractor.

So I'd imagine they can provide sick notes and medical documentation, but that doesn't make them anything more than a chiropractor.

OP
OP
Prolepro

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Health Care Provider

Health care providers who may provide certification of a serious health condition include:

• doctors of medicine or osteopathy authorized to practice medicine or surgery (as appropriate) by the State in which the doctor practices;
  • podiatrists, dentists, clinical psychologists, optometrists, and chiropractors (limited to treatment consisting of manual manipulation of the spine to correct a subluxation as demonstrated by X-ray to exist) authorized to practice in the State and performing within the scope of their practice under State law;
  • nurse practitioners, nurse-midwives, and clinical social workers authorized to practice under State law and performing within the scope of their practice as defined under State law;
  • Christian Science practitioners listed with the First Church of Christ, Scientist in Boston, Massachusetts;
  • any health care provider recognized by the employer or the employer's group health plan's benefits manager; and,
  • a health care provider listed above who practices in a country other than the United States and who is authorized to practice under the laws of that country.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/1421.htm

2lW67v4.gif
womp womp

Well, this'll be fun trying to argue against.

OP
OP
Prolepro

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
(limited to treatment consisting of manual manipulation of the spine to correct a subluxation as demonstrated by X-ray to exist)

Does your family member have a subluxation of the spine? If not, they have no argument.
No. They're just a supporter of chiropractic in general.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I love the wording on the chiropractic legislation here:

u7PSKcy.png

EMYV5w6.png

Please insert instruments, devices and fingers beyond my anal verge.