• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MasterVampire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never used to like comics but have recently gotten into reading some.

Ones that I've read can anyone suggest any based off this list?

Marvel
Avengers vs X-Men
Superior Spider-Man
The Pubisher war machine
Civil War

Dc
The button
Doomsday clock
I read flash war the orher day which was kinda cool but not a huge fan of the flash

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
Tossing in a few. These are probably some of the more popular ones, but I figured I'd add them in anyway.

Marvel:
Iron Fist and Hawkeye (Fraction runs)
Ultimate Spider-Man

DC:
Watchmen
Batman: No Man's Land
Batman: Long Halloween and Dark Victory
The Killing Joke

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
Read the Hickman-run of Fantastic Four/Avengers/New Avengers/Secret Wars.

Avengers vs X-Men was right in the middle of all of that, but those are far better.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Marvel:

Vision by Tom King
Thor by Jason Aaron, all of it starting at God Butcher
Silver Surfer by Dan Slott

DC

Flintstones

SuperMario

Oct 28, 2017
Marvel:

Thor (Jason Aaron)
Amazing Spider-Man (J. M. Straczynski)
Daredevil (Brian Michael Bendis)
Read the Hickman-run of Fantastic Four/Avengers/New Avengers/Secret Wars.
Also this, yes please.
And this too, yeah.

DC:

Batman: White Knight and Batman: Flashpoint are cool elseworlds.
Wonder Woman (Azzarello)
Sandman (Neil Gaiman). It's Vertigo, really, but some DC characters appear.
Also Tom King's run on Batman is brilliant.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Sandman, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and mostly anything by Tom King (the vision and batman runs already mentioned are his best) is usually what I recomend to people who people who don't like comics since they avoid the traps of the genre and expand what a super hero comic can be and do

Sandman is like the "omfg i am melting this is so good mythology and deep and meanings and neil gaiman is my lord and savior". It won basically every award a comic could have won at it's time. It also ends which is good
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is hilarious and the less super hero-y comic that a super hero ever had. And this is ridiculously refreshing
And tom king stuff more common super hero stuff but it has that ... human feel that comics usually lack

Nov 30, 2017
Marvel

Captain America (Brubaker)
Black Panther (Priest)
Black Panther (Hudlin)
Black Panther (Liss)
Black Panther (Coates)
Thor (Simonson)
Thor (JMS)
Journey Into Mystery (Gillen)
Thor (Aaron)
Old Man Logan (Millar)
Old Man Logan (Lemire)
Silver Surfer (Slott)
Vision (King)
Everything Hickman (Secret Warriors->SHIELD->Fantastic Four->Avengers/New Avengers->Time Runs Out-> Secret Wars)
Punisher Max (Ennis)
Punisher Knights (Ennis)
My War Gone By (Ennis)
Punisher (Rucka)
Punisher (Cloonan)
Cap Sam Wilson (Spencer)
Wolverine (Hama)
Wolverine Enemy of the State
Wolverine (Aaron)

Last edited:

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Very mew to comics, but some i really enjoyed are

The Runaways
Daredevil ( Frank Miller)
Ms Marvel ( Kamela Khan )
Moon Knight
Captain Marvel
Doctor Strange: The Oath
Punisher ( Garth Enis )

DC
Batwoman Elegy
Batman Year One, Dark Knight.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
You're gonna get a million recommendations but based on your list here are a few ongoing titles that are fun and easy to jump into:

- Superman #1 by Bendis. It just came out. Bendis was the biggest writer at Marvel for almost two decades and now he's at DC. Pretty solid start so far.
- Aquaman starting with issue 25. Game of Thrones x Conan underwater. Aquaman has been overthrown and he's leading a revolution. The art is absolutely gorgeous.
aquaman-tears-down-the-crown-of-thorns-11-e1521723188320.jpg

- Deathstroke is the best superhero-related comic being published by the big two right now. Written by Christopher Priest, many elements of the Black Panther film were based on his work. Start with issue one. It's incredibly complicated at first but it starts making sense after a while and it's 100% worth it.
- Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps 1 through 50 is an excellent space opera saga which is about to be concluded. Or you can jump into Green Lanterns #50 for a fresh start.
- There's a new Hawkman comic. It's badass.
e0f88645afc76159bbd81d55415fe9fa.jpg

- Sideways is a very charming new character. Basically DC's Spider-Man. And The Terrifics are DC's Fantastic Four, also really good.
- I agree with people mentioning Slott's Silver Surfer run. Best thing Marvel has done in ages.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Some good ones I haven't seen suggested yet:

Waid & Samnee's Daredevil
Rucka's Wonder Woman
Snyder & Capullo's Batman (Court of Owls especially)

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
A must read.
39f069f6-3591-4979-9gxkpg.jpeg

It's about a mentally challenged man who has to save a Robin from the Joker, but little does he know that Robin's gone bad. Can he save her before it is too late? This is an absolutely incredible take on the caped crusader.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
Some good suggestions there earlier

Marvel
Hickman's Secret Wars (but get on the reading list of the road to secret wars which includes a bunch of things like infinity, original sin etc but only the key bits)
Annihilation
Kraven's last hunt
Death of Jean dewolff
Brubaker's run on Captain America

DC
Cover_52_Week_One_%28May_10%2C_2006%29.jpg

At least one of the better crisis events
Kingdom (maybe Kingdom Come)
Sandman and Lucifer
Swamp Thing (Alan Moore's run)
Animal Man (Grant Morrison's run)
DC:The New Frontier
There's a lot of vertigo imprints worth a read tbf

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
latest

The best event comic that Marvel created hands down.

The DnA/Giffen team created what is the gold standard of "Marvel Cosmic"

Oct 25, 2017
Thor by Jason Aaron, all of it starting at God Butcher

Yes.

God Butcher/God Bomb were the stories that made me realise Thor didn't have to be boring.

latest

The best event comic that Marvel created hands down.

The DnA/Giffen team created what is the gold standard of "Marvel Cosmic"

FUCK YES!

Annihilation/Annihilation Conquest and all the stuff leading up to it was the first thing I read when I signed up to Marvel Unlimited and none of other events I've read have been even half as good

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
If you like Punisher read anything Ennis has done with the character, both Marvel Knights and MAX. Welcome Back Frank is an essential start. I'd post more but I'm on mobile, will list more tonight. I can already mention Hickman's entire Fantastic Four run. Best Marvel run.

I just finished Geoff John's Aquaman and that's a lot of fun too.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Ok, here's a bunch of stuff across Marvel/DC/Image I pulled from an older thread. I'd very much recommend reading a series outside of Marvel/DC, some of the most creative and inventive reads are Image/Vertigo series. The best entrypoint there is Saga. For an interesting take on the cape comic, please try out Black Hammer (Jeff Lemire). Plus side: you definitely won't need background or continuity knowledge there.

MARVEL

- Iron Man: Extremis (Warren Ellis). Great introduction to Iron Man in only six issues, essential.
- Ultimate Spider-man (Bendis, 2000). This is still the only long Spidey run I've read and it's consistently great. Every arc is about 5 or 6 issues so you can just jump in from the beginning as it's meant to be a series for new readers.
- New X-Men (Grant Morrison), Astonishing X-Men (Whedon), Uncanny X-Force (Remender). Your essential X, but maybe read the Dark Phoenix Saga before all this. Pretty short and a very important chapter in X-Men history
- Vision (Tom King). The Vision family tries to find out what it's like to be human. Modern classic.
- The Superior Foes of Spider-Man (Spencer): (short) series that follows some D-list Spidey rogues. Very smart and funny book, can't recommend enough.
- Old Man Logan (Millar). All your Marvel heroes in the Mad Max universe. Fun and quick read.
- Daredevil (Bendis, 01-06): seminal run on the character that's easy to pick up. The rabbit hole goes deep once you get into DD, because the Frank Miller, Brubaker and Waid runs are also acclaimed. But if you want to read something short and essential, check out Frank Miller's The Man Without Fear (origin story) and Born Again. These are standalone stories collected in a single trade each.
- Marvels (Busiek). This book sometimes gets forgotten but it's great if you're getting to know the Marvel universe, because it shows all the heroes and their early seminal moments from our perspective.
- Welcome Back Frank (Ennis). First arc of the Marvel Knights Ennis Punisher run. This is pure comedy, but later Ennis also made a much more noir and gritty series in Punisher MAX, which you can (and should) also check out.
- Thor has a lot of great stories and runs. Aaron's is very easy to recommend because it starts off with great Ribic art (God Butcher) and delivers what you want out of a Thor story. It's still ongoing and Aaron has managed to keep this interesting for 5 years now. He's made it in the pantheon of all-time great Thor writers. A short but sweet intro (only 4 issues) is Jonathan Hickman's Ultimate Comics Thor. If you want a quick introduction that will get you in the mood for more Thor, that's a fun story to start with. For eyecandy there's also the Straczynski run with Coipel's awe-inspiring art. The most acclaimed Thor run however is Walt Simonson, who introduces Beta Ray Bill... and so much more. It's very long though.
- Planet Hulk (Greg Pak). Hulk smash... in space. Want to see the inspiration for the Hulk you see in Ragnarok? Read this
- If you've read a bit of Marvel and feel like tackling a long overarching story that's a bit more ambitious, please consider Jonathan Hickman's run on Fantastic Four. It's my favorite Marvel story and is considered one of the best Marvel runs full stop. Here's the reading order. Hickman goes on writing Avengers and can't help but do that in the most ambitious way as well. It ends with the grand conclusion Secret Wars. Once you've read through this entire saga, nothing you'll see in the MCU will feel as epic as this.
- Immortal Iron Fist (Brubaker and Fraction)
- I don't know if you're into Star Wars, but there have been some fantastic comics. Lando (Soule) is a great miniseries. Kieron Gillon wrote a fantastic Vader run which features some homicidal droids and introduces Dr. Aphra, who also got her own series later. There's actually a new Vader series going on right now (by Charles Soule) and imo it's the most exciting SW material you can follow right now. Just spectacular. I made a thread about it

DC

- Watchmen: I agree with everyone saying this should be one of the first series you read.
- Batman Year One: as is this one if you have interest in Batman. Only 4 issues, great retelling of the origin. I have reread this so many times over the years that the trade is in shambles
- The Dark Knight Returns: another influential DC classic. Bats comes out of retirement and beats people off his lawn. Dark sociopolitical satire that still holds up, even though some think otherwise. Very much an 80's vibe though. Don't bother with the sequel
- More Batman, I'll second the recommendations for Snyder's Court of Owls and City of Owls, also Black Mirror. If you like that you can just continue Snyder's run. Apparently Tom King's current run is also great.
- Kingdom Come + The New Frontier for ensemble stories
- All Star Superman: one of my favorites. 12 issues that capture the essence of Superman. If you're not a big fan of his, you might be after reading this, or...
- Superman for all Seasons: one of the few truly great series Jeph Loeb has ever written
- Superman Red Son: Supes in the Soviet Union
- Superman Secret Identity and Birthright (Waid)
- Frank Miller's Ronin
- Aquaman (Geoff Johns, New 52):
Johns takes the tropes and jokes about Aquaman and turns them into weapons. The first issues are all about handling that history of ridicule and setting the foundations for his own story... which is no joke and goes into some serious family drama above and below water. The scope gets so big that the Justice League needs to get involved as well.

- Black Hammer (from Dark Horse): A couple of superheroes get stranded in a rural town and have to deal with the townfolk, but more importantly eachother. We learn the origins of all the team members, which are flashbacks to golden age superheroics and form a nice juxtaposition to the 'normal' country life. This series excels in what other superhero comics are lacking: developing and fleshing out interesting characters. That's always important to me in any book and Jeff Lemire is fantastic at that. Truly outstanding series.

NON CAPE STUFF

- We3: 4 issues to get introduced to the mad genius of Grant Morrison. Check this out. He has done more weird but great short stories like Seaguy of Vinamarana. There are also longer runs like Animal Man, Doom Patrol, The Invincibles... I'd start out with something short because his style is particular and could be you won't like it. He's one of my favorite writers though and I still have read only a sliver of his output.
- Saga: one of the most acclaimed ongoing comics right now, recommended here multiple times for good cause. A sci-fi/fantasy epic that lives up to its name. Part Star Wars, Romeo & Juliet but with more sex and violence and wildly creative in the visuals. A true showcase of the medium.
- Y The Last Man: from the Saga writer, Brian K. Vaughan. Very addictive series, Vaughan is master of the cliffhanger
- The Wicked + The Divine. Your pop idols are gods
- Jimmy Corrigan, The Smartest Kid on Earth
- Southern Bastards: ribs, hicks, college football and crusty old guys beating the shit out of each other. Jason Aaron is now famous for Thor, but don't miss out on his own series. I hear Scalped is also very good.
- More Vertigo classics: Preacher, Sandman, Transmetropolitan
- If you like noir, try anything by Ed Brubaker: The Fade Out, Criminal, Fatale (this mixes with Lovecraftian horror, pretty good), Velvet, ... The Fade Out is very short and impressive so you could try that out first.
- Trees by Warren Ellis
- Deadly Class (Remender): assassin school
- V for Vendetta
- Lazarus (Rucka): no surprise this is picked up for a tv show because it reads like one. Dystopian tale where the world has gone to shit and everything is run by the richest families. Those are each protected by a Lazarus, a defender that can't be killed.
- The Manhattan Projects (Hickman)
- Zero (Ales Kot), not for everyone but this is one of my favorite Image series

From what's recommended, the only popular tip I'd have to disagree with is the big Marvel Cosmic Saga that starts with Annihilation and goes on to Thanos Imperative. Those bookends are actually the most interesting arcs, in between the quality gets spotty imo. You have to do a lot of reading to get little in return. War of Kings in particular is a tragic mess and has one of the worst villains you can find in the Marvel-verse. The Nova and GotG series are consistently great though. Annihilation is really cool, but the subpar art in some of the series brings it down a bit.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
DC
Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow run AND his Animal Man run. Both are new52, both are excellent.
Kingdom Come - what happens when the next generation of heroes is a little more lax on violence in upholding the law

Marvel

Ms Marvel - all of Kamala Khan's story has thus far been excellent. Much better than her namesake's story.

C.O.W.L. for a different take on cape comics. Unionized superheroes in 1960s Chicago

Supreme: Blue Rose - Warren Ellis goes meta on the idea of a multiverse with quite possibly the best art in any comic i've ever seen.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The Vision by Tom King is one of my all time favorites now. Great story where the stakes aren't end of the world/universe/reality.

Top Ten by Alan Moore. It's about a police force for superbeings, gods, etc. Basically all of his old America's Best Comics line is fantastic.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Marvel also handles the new Star Wars comics and they got some pretty good mini and ongoing series.

The main Star Wars run and the first run of Darth Vader are really good.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
If you want something you can read with minimal prior knowledge, I recommend the first 2 volume of Runaways.

You can optionally also read the Civil war and Secret Invasion Crossovers with the Young Avengers, but be advised, those are crossovers with the OLD young avengers.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't read much DC, but I liked most of the Injustice stuff.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Marvel also handles the new Star Wars comics and they got some pretty good mini and ongoing series.

The main Star Wars run and the first run of Darth Vader are really good.

I feel like Soule's current Vader comic is already better than Gillen's. It's surprising how the best two SW comics are different takes on Vader and they're both awesome. The main SW comic is not nearly as good imo

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Soule's current Vader comic is already better than Gillen's. It's surprising how the best two SW comics are different takes on Vader and they're both awesome. The main SW comic is not nearly as good imo

I only suggested the first one because that one's finished and I was waiting for Soule's to finish so I can read that all at once. I have heard good things about the latter though.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
The original Secret Wars from 1984 (by Jim Shooter) remains my favorite comic book event. Lots of classic moments for characters. Thor vs a shit ton of villains. Spider-Man vs the X-Men. Ultron challenging Galactus. War Machine mackin on all the ladies. Spider-Man gets his symbiote. It was an ad to sell toys but damn if it wasn't the coolest piece of marketing ever. Premise is that all the heroes and all the villains get put on a planet and are told that one person will get a wish. They end up splitting into four factions: the non-mutant heroes led by Captain America, the X-Men led by Charles Xavier, the villains led by Doctor Doom, and Galactus.

250px-Secretwars1.png

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I only suggested the first one because that one's finished and I was waiting for Soule's to finish so I can read that all at once. I have heard good things about the latter though.

Oh yeah fair enough. Once that run's finished and Soule sticks the landing, that's gonna be a very easy series to recommend.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
DC:

Grant Morrisons's JLA
DC One Million
Grant Morrison's Animal Man
Sandman (original Neil Gaiman run)
Lucifer (read after sandman, original Mike Carey run)
Transmetropolitan
Garth Ennis's Hitman
Preacher
Batman : Year One
Batman : The Long Halloween
Batman and Robin (Grant Morrison)
Batman : Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?
Batman : The Court of Owls
Batman : A Killing Joke
James Robinson's Starman run
The Man of Steel (John Byrne)
Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow
All-Star Superman
Superman: For The Man Who Has Everything
Superman for all Seasons
The Trial of Superman
Superman: Time and Time Again
Jack Kirby's Fourth World

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Agree on all counts.

I really dislike the main SW comic generally. Going back decades I've though I've never been a fan of "here's what our SW heroes were up to between events in the movies!" Always preferred comics about time periods not covered by the movies.

I do kinda enjoy Aphra though.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, forgot this one.
Wonder Woman Rebirth and then issues 1 through 25 I think.
Rough start but it builds up nicely on itself until it becomes the best run on the character for my money.

Think most actually prefer Rucka's N52 WW run starting with the graphic novel 'The Hiketeia', but the Rebirth stuff is solid as well.