• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Seriously, can they? Because it's getting real old at this point.

OK, I'll elaborate.

Basically I've noticed a trend (or maybe it's always been there) of gamers, especially those with Youtube backgrounds, acting like utter dicks when it comes to things they either don't recognise or don't personally (already) like. If they aren't just dismissing a game on sight (or concept) as something they couldn't ever possibly be interested in they're 'criticising' it from the basis of knowing very little about the subject. This seems to manifest itself most prominently in the reactions people have to E3 conferences, Directs, State of Plays, etc; watch most videos or read most threads on those subjects and you're bound to find the rhetoric of "fuck this, NEXT!" when something even remotely not 'hype' appears on screen.

Things like people coming into threads about Switch ports saying how they "can't believe anyone would play this awful trash," people dismissing any and all VR content in the recent Sony conferences (I must admit I fell into this a little myself) or, and this tends to hurt the most, people dismissing indies as a concept whenever they show up. It's honestly made me really cynical about the gaming community as I've come to realise that so much of it is based purely around brand recognition, 'hype' and nostalgia instead of actual respect for the craft. To a lot of gamers it seems that, if it's not something they personally care about, it might as well not exist. There's definitely folks who buck this trend entirely but, honestly, I doubt they're in the majority.

So, yeah, I think that gaming as a whole would be better if people stopped disrespecting the games that they aren't already interested in. I doubt it would change much since, at the end of the day, sales are still everything in the industry but at least it would make the gaming fandom a nicer place to be.

What do you think, Era? Agree? Disagree? Any examples of people from both sides of the spectrum?

EDIT: Removed the specific example so the thread doesn't solely focus on it.

Also, just as a disclaimer: Not being interested in something isn't the same as not being respectful of something. Similarly, not liking something for your own legitimate reasons is not the same as dismissing and disrespecting things based on pre-conceived notions of what they are.

Last edited:

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
I'd give Max the benefit of the doubt since he was joking. He rarely intentionally shits on a video game franchise unless it's universally not good. But I agree with your point. I've seen a lot of toxic gamers on Twitch shitting on a lot of recent game announcements. Which is why I don't follow a lot of gaming channels because most of these gamers live in their own echo chamber. Something I use to do myself.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Well aren't you watching a reaction video for the person's opinion...? That's a lot different than someone purposefully going into a thread about something they dislike to antagonise

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
I'm no defender of him and his content, but that Max clip seemed extremely tame? The closest thing to negativity he even showed was calling him a Fire Emblem character.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
An opinion is an opinion in the end. I mean you may or may not be familiar with a character or not like it.

DIdnt see the entire video (skipped to the part where they had BK reveal) - and the reaction was completely opposite of the initial DQ Hero reveal.

I'm pretty sure its the same for majority of people who watched the reveals lol.

Me personally when I saw the DQ hero (despite liking the series as a whole) - I wasnt too excited for the DQ hero as I would be excited for per say Cloud from FFVII or Ike from FE.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
The Battletoads reveal was kind of astounding in how many shitheads made their point about how much they don't like the art style of Battletoads, from the usual CalArts / 'looks like Flash' bullshit to borderline stalking/harassing a concept artist of the game

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I mean that wasn't really all that bad. There were far worse people, like the battle Toads looks like a flash game people. Max's biggest problem is spending 40% of his stream calling out subs and donations and shit. Not being slightly snarky

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Max is just messing around...like when he calls himself an anime expert (he knows very little about anime) and intentionally gets character names or entire series completely wrong, just for laughs. It's like an inside joke with his regular viewers.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're basically saying that if people have a negative opinion of something, they should just keep it to themselves, which is just, like... no. People are allowed to dislike things.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
If you only want people to respectfully disagree with your opinion, the internet is not where you should go.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017

Some people aren't interested in the same things as you.

You'll live, I promise.

Besides, you're watching a video for somebody's reactions. (God only knows fucking why, but you are.) Sounds like you're getting exactly what was written on the can.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'd give Max the benefit of the doubt since he was joking. He rarely intentionally shits on a video game franchise unless it's universally not good. But I agree with your point. I've seen a lot of toxic gamers on Twitch shitting on a lot of recent game announcements. Which is why I don't follow a lot of gaming channels because most of these gamers live in their own echo chamber. Something I use to do myself.

Eh, whilst he was joking it was still intentional disrespect for the franchise; he didn't even look at the screen for most of it.

But anyway, that video isn't the sole example of the thread so I won't focus on it too much longer. It's just the spark that got me to make it.

Well aren't you watching a reaction video for the person's opinion...? That's a lot different than someone purposefully going into a thread about something they dislike to antagonise
An opinion is an opinion in the end. I mean you may or may not be familiar with a character or not like it.
It's just someone's opinion my guy
You're basically saying that if people have a negative opinion of something, they should just keep it to themselves, which is just, like... no. People are allowed to dislike things.
Some people aren't interested in the same things as you.

At least read the OP before posting:

Also, just as a disclaimer: Not being interested in something isn't the same as not being respectful of something. Similarly, not liking something for your own legitimate reasons is not the same as dismissing and disrespecting things based on pre-conceived notions of what they are.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I read your op, and you seem obtuse about the nature of the internet

Gamers are not exclusive to the behavior you complain about. Maybe its more common in gaming because of the average age of the audience trends lower.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
And who's the arbiter of "legitimate reasons"?

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This is something not only happening with youtube reactions, forum posters (and I include ERA in this) are also shitting on everthing constantly. It's cool to hate stuff nowadays. While this was always the case I feel it's getting worse and worse over the years. Or I'm just getting old.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
And who's the arbiter of "legitimate reasons"?

If you have some actual experience with the thing you're complaining about.

Going "lol fuck indieshit," whenever something not made by a AAA developer shows up at E3 or "lol fuck Dragon Quest," when the main character shows up in Smash are not legitimate reasons.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
He literally said "that's cool, I'm sure Dragon Quest fans are happy" once the trailer ended, before that he decided to joke around as he had 0 interest personally. This is a weird example for the point you're making.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Stop watching reaction videos and getting salty when they don't react like you want them too.

You are forming a judgement about their opinion without knowing the full context of their thoughts.

Nintendo's direct was the single most unappealing shit to me I've ever seen and I love my switch.
I'm not going to "care about the craft" when they add some characters who have zero appeal to me into a game I can't really give a shit about because I don't enjoy it (Smash) or care about indie devs game of the week when I don't see them as super appealing and I know that I won't buy those titles because playing as boy in a emotional puzzle game that takes the deads souls to the after life isn't my jam unfortunately

Going "lol fuck indieshit," whenever something not made by a AAA developer shows up at E3 or "lol fuck Dragon Quest," when the main character shows up in Smash are not legitimate reasons.

TO YOU!

To many that's a very legitimate reason because games are a media we consume and I'm not about to waste the small amount of time I get playing games to play Long Drawn out RPGs I don't enjoy from experience or indieshit because I know I don't enjoy those titles. You're lording about over this like you get to decide what people enjoy

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine having nothing better to do then to care what random people on the internet like or dislike.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Can gamers stop being assholes about people not liking the stuff they don't personally like? (or why everyone's opinions are awful)

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Eh, whilst he was joking it was still intentional disrespect for the franchise; he didn't even look at the screen for most of it.

But anyway, that video isn't the sole example of the thread so I won't focus on it too much longer. It's just the spark that got me to make it.

People on the internet barely respect actual real people, you think they'll respect a fictional character from a video game series that is from Japan? lol

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I did.

You're getting your nose out of joint because someone didn't pay sufficient respect to an electronic toy. It's rather odd.

I'm sure Dragon Quest isn't crying in a corner because DOODS REACT weren't sufficiently interested or respectful toward it.

It's like seeing someone getting upset because they heard someone say something dismissive about the latest Mitsubishi car or Diet Coke. They should be more respectful!

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017

Considering that the example you showed is nowhere near this level I think you need to learn to chill out. You're working yourself up over people being "respectful" of entertainment products.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
You need to stop falling for low quality posts/troll bait. There will always be people who shit posts and that's how the internet works.

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
Uhhh there was...nothing wrong about thode reactions? Like there was genuinely no hostility, just a kind of apathy which makes sense give it's not a seried they know or care about? *shrug*

Though when it comes to people being toxic about not liking series, I'd put it much moreon something like the anime community. I've seen it a bit in places in the games community but I've never see in it in such a prevalent light that it actually became a big issue.

Oct 27, 2017
Why do you think this is exclusive to gamer culture? People on the internet will tear apart everything they don't like. Music, movies, books, tv shows and the latest addition: people, to the point of actively working to ruin their lives if they don't like them.

The anonymity that the internet provides and the fact that you can shit on everything and everyone without ever having to face the consequences -like getting a black eye for insulting and harassing a stranger in real life- is the perfect combination to allow everyone to be more of an asshole than they would normally be.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
Stop watching reaction videos and getting salty when they don't react like you want them too.

You are forming a judgement about their opinion without knowing the full context of their thoughts.

Nintendo's direct was the single most unappealing shit to me I've ever seen and I love my switch.
I'm not going to "care about the craft" when they add some characters who have zero appeal to me into a game I can't really give a shit about because I don't enjoy it (Smash) or care about indie devs game of the week when I don't see them as super appealing and I know that I won't buy those titles because playing as boy in a emotional puzzle game that takes the deads souls to the after life isn't my jam unfortunately

TO YOU!

To many that's a very legitimate reason because games are a media we consume and I'm not about to waste the small amount of time I get playing games to play Long Drawn out RPGs I don't enjoy from experience or indieshit because I know I don't enjoy those titles. You're lording about over this like you get to decide what people enjoy

You're kind of proving my point here.

You don't care about indie games and RPGs? That's a little bit arbitrary but, OK, that's fine.

You calling indie games "indieshit" and RPGs "long and drawn out"? That's the issue. You admit you don't have experience with those genres yet you're dismissing the hard work of people as inherently bad because of your own personal pre-conceptions. Nobody's forcing you to engage with them yet you choose to anyway.

I did.

You're getting your nose out of joint because someone didn't pay sufficient respect to an electronic toy. It's rather odd.

I'm sure Dragon Quest isn't crying in a corner because DOODS REACT weren't sufficiently interested or respectful toward it.

It's like seeing someone getting upset because they heard someone say something dismissive about the latest Mitsubishi car or Diet Coke. They should be more respectful!

Your original post had nothing to do with my arguments and ignored the disclaimer at the end; there's no evidence that you actually read the OP before posting.

But since you've moved on to the equivalent of "y u mad tho" (with a sprinkling of dismissive 'games aren't made by creators they're just soulless products' rhetoric) I'm not going to continue arguing with you over this.

Why do you think this is exclusive to gamer culture? People on the internet will tear apart everything they don't like. Music, movies, books, tv shows and the latest addition: people, to the point of actively working to ruin their lives if they don't like them.

The anonymity that the internet provides and the fact that you can shit on everything and everyone without ever having to face the consequences -like getting a black eye for insulting and harassing a stranger in real life- is the perfect combination to allow everyone to be more of an asshole than they would normally be.

Why does it have to be exclusive to gamer culture to be called out? Of course it happens everywhere, but this is a gaming forum so I thought to focus on how it happens in gaming.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

By the same token I see plenty of uppity gamers who love indie games, that shit on AAA games just because they have a high budget. Or biased gamers who only play games from Japan because western games are all bad.

Shit opinions are everywhere, you can't let them bother you.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
But since you've moved on to the equivalent of "y u mad tho" (with a sprinkling of dismissive 'games aren't made by creators they're just soulless products') I'm not going to continue arguing with you over this.
Did you just dismiss Mitsubishi cars and Diet Coke as "soulless"?

How dare you. You should be more respectful of all the hard work that went into making those things.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
Yeah, sounds pretty absurd when applied to a different product doesn't it?

You used those as examples of products that aren't made by creators but by 'corporations'; arguing that because games are similar people shouldn't care that their creations are being dismissed. I called you out on that and then suddenly you've flip-flopped in the other direction to try and 'call me out' (despite me not saying anything regarding those specific examples). It's incredibly transparent.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You're kind of proving my point here.

You don't care about indie games and RPGs? That's a little bit arbitrary but, OK, that's fine.

You calling indie games "indieshit" and RPGs "long and drawn out"? That's the issue. You admit you don't have experience with those genres yet you're dismissing the hard work of people as inherently bad because of your own personal pre-conceptions. Nobody's forcing you to engage with them yet you choose to anyway.

I don't care about indie games and RPG's and I have plenty of experience with those games thank you. I never implied I didn't. I've played longer RPG's than most, I've spent most of my childhood playing RPG's and I was playing games in the indie scene very early doors. I've experienced the best in that genre and mostly I still find them underwhelming yet you won't like that narrative.

I said Indieshit because you did but I'll actually stick by it because for the most part it's true, I'll be dismissive of other peoples hard work because ultimately I care about myself and my enjoyment and my time much more and I'm not wasting my time or money on uninteresting and unappealing dreg (IMO)

As for "nobody is forcing you to engage"

1. engage with what? I'm not engaging that's kind of my point I won't be engaging because they have zero appeal to me
2. nobody is forcing you to engage in this discussion or watch reaction videos that clearly make you super angry and resentful

Ultimately people like different things and to be dismissive of others opinions like you are right now in your OP and this thread because it "proves" your point is arrogant and foolish.

Face it you can't be the arbitrator of what people like get over it and move on with your day.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless it escalates to actual harassment of real people it's okay to hate on a product.

Status
Not open for further replies.