• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All the characters are CGI and a lot of set pieces look not live action. Shouldn't it be called animated?

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Yes, If the studio/production says so.

Opinions of nerds don't matter.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Was there a new trailer during the Oscars?

The Lion King official Facebook just reposted the same teaser we saw during 2018 holiday season and there are tons of shocked and excited comments. I feel like I'm missing something.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well Disney isn't calling it.

The only mention of the words live action is in the description of the trailer on YouTube where it begins with "From Disney Live Action" which just means the part of the studio that's working on the film, but I guess you can make the argument that it means there are some Live Action portions even if it's just set pieces.

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
Was there a new trailer during the Oscars?

The Lion King official Facebook just reposted the same teaser we saw during 2018 holiday season and there are tons of shocked and excited comments. I feel like I'm missing something.

There were bits of new footage not seen in last years trailer + Rafiki says "It is time".

i'm assuming its the new Rafiki as it doesnt sound exactly like the old one.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Was anything shot with cameras at all? That's usually how you define it imo - the amount of CG in a frame doesn't matter as much as how it was framed. If the cinematography uses actual cameras and sets, even if the sets are extensively touched up, then it is a live action shoot. If it is entirely virtual camera, then it is animated.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Was anything shot with cameras at all? That's usually how you define it imo - the amount of CG in a frame doesn't matter as much as how it was framed. If the cinematography uses actual cameras and sets, even if the sets are extensively touched up, then it is a live action shoot. If it is entirely virtual camera, then it is animated.
So what's Avatar, then? A huge amount of that movie was 100% CGI. Is it "live-action" only because of the occasional scenes where they actually photographed the actors instead of just mocapping them?

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
So what's Avatar, then? A huge amount of that movie was 100% CGI. Is it "live-action" only because of the occasional scenes where they actually photographed the actors instead of just mocapping them?
It's a live action film. It's not even "occasional scenes" when more than half the main cast are the actual actors on screen? Not all that different from Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
It's not live action, and I can't stress this enough:

It has never been officially called "Live action".

That was only ever fans and poor reporting.

It's an animated film.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they might be using real animals and rubbing peanut butter on their gums like they used to do to Mr. Ed.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
It was shot on a blue screen wasn't it? So actual cameras were being used which defines it as live action for me.

If it was all CGI on a computer than it would be photorealistic animation.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
QUOTE="Kapryov, post: 18264281, member: 18578"]Live action implies most of it is live footage.

It's a CG film.[/QUOTE]

But wouldn't CG imply that it was created on a computer unlike Lion King which was filmed in a studio with real cameras?

lidmat

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
QUOTE="Kapryov, post: 18264281, member: 18578"]Live action implies most of it is live footage.

It's a CG film.

But wouldn't CG imply that it was created on a computer unlike Lion King which was filmed in a studio with real cameras?

If it is not computer generated, then it's not "CG". If there is no real actors, it's not "live action".

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
So if they film something in a location like downtown New York and then CGI the people in it's not live action?
Don't be obtuse.

Literally nothing we're seeing on screen in Lion King is live action footage. The use of cameras for motion capture and reference material doesn't make footage that is entirely animated not animated.

(and AGAIN, this production has never officially been referred to as "live action" anyway)

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Don't be obtuse.

Literally nothing we're seeing on screen in Lion King is live action footage. The use of cameras for motion capture and reference material doesn't make footage that is entirely animated not animated.

(and AGAIN, this production has never officially been referred to as "live action" anyway)

But to me if something is filmed in a location, even if it's a blue screen, and real cameras are used for shooting. It doesn't matter what's added in- the film was filmed live and then heavily CGI'd with the backgrounds and characters put in.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
But to me if something is filmed in a location, even if it's a blue screen, and real cameras are used for shooting. It doesn't matter what's added in- the film was filmed live and then heavily CGI'd with the backgrounds and characters put in.
Lion King was not filmed on location. It's entirely animated. None of the action on screen is live. Recording reference material does not change that.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
There'll probably be ONE real life actor that will act as some scared lion poacher or something idfk

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Lion King was not filmed on location. It's entirely animated. None of the action on screen is live. Recording reference material does not change that.

Jon Favearu stated that he filmed The Jungle Book as if he was filming a live action film despite only have 1 person actually on set in a completely blue screen environment.

The VFX supervisor for the Lion King also said, "I don't consider this an animated movie. I consider this just a movie, and this happened to be the best way to make it. We [made] it comfortable for Jon Favreau to come in and be able to direct as if it was a live-action film."